Bruce Odson: Conversation is that Aaron Johnston will be Minnesota’s first choice if Lindsay Whalen does not turn the Gophers around next year.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bruce:

Conversation is that Aaron Johnston will be Minnesota’s first choice if Lindsay Whalen does not turn the Gophers around next year. He is a Minnesota native.

Go Gophers!!

per Bruce:

Conversation is that Aaron Johnston will be Minnesota’s first choice if Lindsay Whalen does not turn the Gophers around next year. He is a Minnesota native.

Go Gophers!!

Let's do it now. The LW experiment did not work out. Why waste another year?

per Bruce:

Go Gophers!!
Who? & Who?

Was there another Mark Coyle exploratory "where do you see yourself in the future" diner meeting?

Why waste another day, they want the star players to transfer away for a third time?

Agreed!! Johnston has zero chance of being hired at Minnesota.

Predicting what might happen for two coaches a year from now would be precarious no matter what but it's especially precarious if it involves Johnston, who damaged his reputation both when he accepted then quickly backed out of an offer from Green Bay and when he was a complete tool when he brought his team to the Barn in the Borton era. (I have a long memory for tools.)

Can't see LW surviving if she finishes in the lower half of B1G next year.
it will all come down to how they compete, its asking a lot for them to finish in the top half of the conf with a completely new team

He is a complete tool in every game, against every team. But even moreso if the opposing coach is female.

He is a complete tool in every game, against every team. But even moreso if the opposing coach is female.
Guess that's why the female coach from UCLA picked him to be her assistant with the national team last summer.

Predicting what might happen for two coaches a year from now would be precarious no matter what but it's especially precarious if it involves Johnston, who damaged his reputation both when he accepted then quickly backed out of an offer from Green Bay and when he was a complete tool when he brought his team to the Barn in the Borton era. (I have a long memory for tools.)
If coming into the Barn and winning (twice) with Minnesota players that the Gophers never attempted to recruit makes one a tool, then I guess AJ qualifies. Maybe the Gophers should start scheduling regional teams like USD and SDSU again so you can get your chance at revenge.

I played ball and graduated from Gustavus with AJ, and can tell you with actual knowledge that he is an outstanding person. His teams play incredible defense (they shut us down in the NIT) and a free-flowing offensive style that has been incredibly successful. His players are “A” students who contribute to the community.

Ask SDSU fans if they’re mad he came back instead of bolting to WGB. (There were reasonable circumstances behind that situation.) He could run for mayor in Brookings. He’d be a home run hire as far as X’s and O’s and is a high character guy. I don’t know what his recruiting would look like at our level, but the man can flat-out coach.

That being said, I’d like to see what LW does with this recruiting class.

I played ball and graduated from Gustavus with AJ, and can tell you with actual knowledge that he is an outstanding person. His teams play incredible defense (they shut us down in the NIT) and a free-flowing offensive style that has been incredibly successful. His players are “A” students who contribute to the community.

Ask SDSU fans if they’re mad he came back instead of bolting to WGB. (There were reasonable circumstances behind that situation.) He could run for mayor in Brookings. He’d be a home run hire as far as X’s and O’s and is a high character guy. I don’t know what his recruiting would look like at our level, but the man can flat-out coach.

That being said, I’d like to see what LW does with this recruiting class.
He's one of the best teachers out there. I know plenty of coaching friends who've been to a practice or had interactions that confirm how good he is as well. The fact we didn't snatch him up when we choose Whalen showed we were not in it for basketball reasons. That's fine, but AJ has been top notch for years.

We need a female coach. I'm a dude and I say this. Young women need great female mentors in leadership roles and as advocates. I'm not antagonist or against male coaches, Johnston is a fine basketball coach, not a knock on him. For basketball there are already a lot of male coaches throughout HS ranks. To me if you want to be successful at a Big 10 school, it is especially important to have female role models in leadership positions. Our daughters and young women need to see themselves in these type of roles and opportunities. We already have a Male coach for Women's head hockey coach and Volleyball.

Last edited:

I get so tired of Tony scraping the content of gopherhole or other media and presenting it as his own unique thoughts.
Article in The Athletic has:
Megan Duffy (Marquette)
Dawn Plitzuweit (first year West Virginia, formerly South Dakota)
Lindy La Rocque (UNLV)

We need a female coach. I'm a dude and I say this. Young women need great female mentors in leadership roles and as advocates. I'm not antagonist or against male coaches, Johnston is a fine basketball coach, not a knock on him. For basketball there are already a lot of male coaches throughout HS ranks. To me if you want to be successful at a Big 10 school, it is especially important to have female role models in leadership positions. Our daughters and young women need to see themselves in these type of roles and opportunities. We already have a Male coach for Women's head hockey coach and Volleyball.

We aren't even assured that the entirety of the roster will be comprised of women, why is it so important for the HC to be a woman?

We aren't even assured that the entirety of the roster will be comprised of women, why is it so important for the HC to be a woman?
Not good humor. People are human beings, poor taste to joke about. No i do not think it is fair competition to allow transgender athletes, but let's not pick on people. That is a difficult subject. Are you even WBB fan or just here to make fun of opinions. The coaching thing is just an opinion no more or no less than anyone else. Coach Johnston is good coach. I just want the best coach Gophers can get overall. That and for them to build the Gophers WBB program and athletes up.

FWIW - Reusse tweeted the other day that he had heard "through a 3rd party" that Johnston would be interested if he received an offer.

and BTW - one of Johnston's assistant coaches is the wife of Twins' relief pitcher Caleb Thielbar.

FWIW - Reusse tweeted the other day that he had heard "through a 3rd party" that Johnston would be interested if he received an offer.

and BTW - one of Johnston's assistant coaches is the wife of Twins' relief pitcher Caleb Thielbar.
Reusse seems to think the job is his "if" they will let Coyle hire another male woman's coach since VB and hockey already have them.

Top Bottom