Brodrick Smith transferring?

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Brodrick Smith transferring

Sounds like it's true, and he's homesick. No link yet.

Edit: It's true...

yikes...this is a blow if true, at first when i read it i thought you were talking about brock at first glance, and i had already planned to be without the guy so no big deal, then it hit me....man best luck to him if true. i remember his grandpa coming on here a few times after he signed his letter of intent and asking some questions.

The U sent out a release this afternoon confirming this.

Smith Leaving Gopher Program

University Of Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster announced that wide receiver Brodrick Smith (Garden City, Kan.) has left the squad.

“Brodrick is planning to transfer closer to home,” Brewster said. “He has a young son and would like to be closer to him. I admire Brodrick’s decision and commitment to his son. We wish him the best of luck in the future.”

Smith saw action in 12 of Minnesota’s 13 games as a freshman last season. He recorded five receptions for 50 yards and one touchdown in 2008.

-UM-

you gotta be kidding me... hopefully this isn't true, especially after the great spring game he had!

Next man in!!!..............

Sounds like it's true, and he's homesick. No link yet.

Edit: It's true...

I wish Broderick the best. I was hoping to see him celebrating many times in the endzone as a Gopher, but I admire his commitment to family.

I hope that the rest of the receivers see this not so much as a loss, but an opportunity.

Good luck to him. I thought he had a chance to be great. Any thoughts on where he is transferring? D1 or other?

Any thoughts on where he is transferring? D1 or other?

Some folks (not me) have said his Facebook status is talking about how great it is to be a Wildcat. When you start connecting dots on teams with the nickname Wildcats and moving closer to his son in Garden City, KS, K-State seems to be the easiest assumption.

Wow...this really sucks. He was looking like a man out there in the Spring--I was definitely hoping for big things out of him next year. That said, with Decker, Carpenter, and Green, we're still in good shape at WR. Throw in Kuznia, Stoudermire, Pittman, & McKnight for depth, and I think we're set. Heck, even incoming Frosh Allen and Keise might be able to contribute. Considering where we were at 2 years ago at WR (frighteningly poor and thin) the team is in great shape...even after losing Smith.

Wow...this really sucks. He was looking like a man out there in the Spring--I was definitely hoping for big things out of him next year. That said, with Decker, Carpenter, and Green, we're still in good shape at WR. Throw in Kuznia, Stoudermire, Pittman, & McKnight for depth, and I think we're set. Heck, even incoming Frosh Allen and Keise might be able to contribute. Considering where we were at 2 years ago at WR (frighteningly poor and thin) the team is in great shape...even after losing Smith.

Don't forget about X Brandon.

University Of Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster announced that wide receiver Brodrick Smith (Garden City, Kan.) has left the squad.

“Brodrick is planning to transfer closer to home,” Brewster said. “He has a young son and would like to be closer to him. I admire Brodrick’s decision and commitment to his son. We wish him the best of luck in the future.”

Smith saw action in 12 of Minnesota’s 13 games as a freshman last season. He recorded five receptions for 50 yards and one touchdown in 2008.

-UM-

this 'decision' is disappointing...maybe even a little concerning...:confused::confused::confused:

personally, i was looking forward to the gophers running some 5 wr sets this fall...with the 5 receivers being brodrick smith, dw/shane potter, tray herndon, the diminutive yet 'electrifying' harold howell, and vince hill...:eek::eek::eek:

where have they all gone???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
they are gophers no more...

Hate to see him go, thought he had lots of potential. At least depth at WR is much better than it had been in the past.

Two years ago this would have been a big loss, but seeing Stoudermire shine in the spring game I feel fine. You can't fault a man who is looking out for his family. Best of luck Mr. Smith, I think you'll be a great one no matter where you end up!!!!

Brandon Has a Family?

-UM-

So he has a family? Why wouldn't they move to MSP to be with him? Some other dynamics going on here.

It's always tough to see a player with good talent leave but at least this one appears to be for legit reasons. I wish him luck.

So he has a family? Why wouldn't they move to MSP to be with him? Some other dynamics going on here.

probably because he has no means to support them up here, but back where he is from he has family to help him raise his family and with finances???? just an assumption, you cant expect such a young family with no roots up here to drop everything to come up here so someone can play football. Good luck to him

I could not care less what happens to Broderick Smith from now on. Brewster and the U made a huge commitment to Broderick and he pulled the plug on his teammates at the first opportunity. How about showing some personal responsibility here? First, by not getting your girlfriend pregnant before you are mature enough to be a father, and second, by showing some loyalty to people who where willing to do just about anything to help you become successful in life as well as on the football field. Good riddance to a kid who probably would have quit on his team at some point when the going got tough.

shit happens, I would rather have someone in the community go back to take care of his child then play football up here

I could not care less what happens to Broderick Smith from now on. Brewster and the U made a huge commitment to Broderick and he pulled the plug on his teammates at the first opportunity. How about showing some personal responsibility here? First, by not getting your girl friend pregnant before you are mature enough to be a father, and second, by showing some loyalty to people who where willing to do just about anything to help you become successful in life as well as on the football field. Good riddance to a kid who probably would have quit on his team at some point when the going got tough.

He has made some poor decisions as you said, having child with girlfriend, accepting a scholarship far from that girlfriend and child, etc.. But I give him credit for trying to make right decisions now and not bailing on his child. Everyone makes bad decisions, it's how you follow up those bad decisions. Good luck to him

I could not care less what happens to Broderick Smith from now on. Brewster and the U made a huge commitment to Broderick and he pulled the plug on his teammates at the first opportunity. How about showing some personal responsibility here? First, by not getting your girlfriend pregnant before you are mature enough to be a father, and second, by showing some loyalty to people who where willing to do just about anything to help you become successful in life as well as on the football field. Good riddance to a kid who probably would have quit on his team at some point when the going got tough.

Yikes buddy cool it. I understand the commitment argument but if he is going to bail on something I would much rather have it be gopher football than his family. I really wish he would stay and I think he could be a great player but ill never slam someone for trying to be a better family man.

How much more time will he have for his kid at K-State than here? Some I guess, but it is not like he is going to be a full-time dad playing college football and trying to keep his head above water in college which I think is a much greater challenge for some of these young men than most people realize. This isn't the end of the world by any stretch. It hurts to lose a prospect like Smith but these things happen.

Too bad, the kid showed real promise. Sometimes, you make mistakes as a young adult deciding on where you go to college. If you're going to badmouth the guy for wanting to go back home, maybe you shouldn't cheer for Royston or Carufel this season, otherwise you look like quite a hypocrite.

I'm willing to bet Broderick has you beat when it comes to maturity. You're ripping a 19 or 20 yr old kid for wanting to be close to his child. Real mature.

Quote: Too bad, the kid showed real promise. Sometimes, you make mistakes as a young adult deciding on where you go to college. If you're going to badmouth the guy for wanting to go back home, maybe you shouldn't cheer for Royston or Carufel this season, otherwise you look like quite a hypocrite.

I am not a fan of either player because they quit on their teammates when the going got tough. However, at least Royston didn't make his decision until the end of the season. Caurfel quit on his teammates in the middle of the season. It remains to be seen whether or not he will be a guy who the Gophers will be able to count on in crucial situations.

Quote: I'm willing to bet Broderick has you beat when it comes to maturity. You're ripping a 19 or 20 yr old kid for wanting to be close to his child. Real mature.

That is his story, but I don't believe it. Everything is about playing time in sports, and that is what I am going with. Broderick is not the first college football player to impregnate his girlfriend. I have zero tolerance for anyone above the age of 16 who is not smart enough to figure out a way to keep their girlfriend from becoming pregnant. It is not as if there isn't any information about it out there.

I think there are far too few promising athletes that would make the right decision for the right reasons like this. Sorry to see him go, but the priorities seem to be right.

Quote: I'm willing to bet Broderick has you beat when it comes to maturity. You're ripping a 19 or 20 yr old kid for wanting to be close to his child. Real mature.

That is his story, but I don't believe it. Everything is about playing time in sports, and that is what I am going with. Broderick is not the first college football player to impregnate his girlfriend. I have zero tolerance for anyone above the age of 16 who is not smart enough to figure out a way to keep their girlfriend from becoming pregnant. It is not as if there isn't any information about it out there.

I pity your hopefully yet unborn children......:(

Top Bottom