Brian Kelly speaks out against buying players.

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Some will discount this because it is coming from Brian Kelly the same way people scoffed at what Saban had to say. But I like that more and more coaches are speaking out about the insanity of what is going on right now.

Some will discount this because it is coming from Brian Kelly the same way people scoffed at what Saban had to say. But I like that more and more coaches are speaking out about the insanity of what is going on right now.

It is what it is. You recruit who you choose to recruit, if that recruit is asking for a bag you can choose to offer it or not, and the recruit will make their choice.

It is what it is. You recruit who you choose to recruit, if that recruit is asking for a bag you can choose to offer it or not, and the recruit will make their choice.
LSU definitely has the ability to pass on the guys who are just in it for the money given their location and program prestige. But we are starting to see coaches pushing back on the attitude that is taking hold of teams where players are just concerned with what they are going to get paid.

Seeing more and more people speaking out about the culture of the athletes now compared to before the unrestricted free agency/pay for play mess started.

LSU definitely has the ability to pass on the guys who are just in it for the money given their location and program prestige. But we are starting to see coaches pushing back on the attitude that is taking hold of teams where players are just concerned with what they are going to get paid.

Seeing more and more people speaking out about the culture of the athletes now compared to before the unrestricted free agency/pay for play mess started.
Yep. These young athletes are losing us old fans. Fast.

Watching the turmoil makes it harder for me to be a fan. That said, I feel statements from Brian Kelly and Nick Sabin are self serving. I think their stance has more to do with a perceived threat to their long standing recruiting advantage, than an attempt to save the college game.

People should scoff:
  • It was illegal to pay players
  • Alabama and LSU took advantage of that by paying them anyway
  • It's now legal to pay players
  • Now, Alabama and LSU can't take advantage of the system because the playing field is even
These coaches are crying because they can't cheat anymore. I would never have handed a recruit cash, but I have no problem subscribing to DTA.

Watching the turmoil makes it harder for me to be a fan. That said, I feel statements from Brian Kelly and Nick Sabin are self serving. I think their stance has more to do with a perceived threat to their long standing recruiting advantage, than an attempt to save the college game.
Reminds me when SEC teams were trying to push a rule about coaches not being allowed to host football camps within X miles of their school because "It's not fair to the kids." .... yeah that's what it was about :p

People should scoff:
  • It was illegal to pay players
  • Alabama and LSU took advantage of that by paying them anyway
  • It's now legal to pay players
  • Now, Alabama and LSU can't take advantage of the system because the playing field is even
These coaches are crying because they can't cheat anymore. I would never have handed a recruit cash, but I have no problem subscribing to DTA.
Yes and No. What is going on right now still isn't technically legal. They are calling it NIL but most of what is going on in basketball is straight up pay for play and it is happening in football as well. The playing field is still not even and the helmet schools are still in position to get the top players, maybe they have a little more competition but on the football side the top talent is still going primarily to a handful of schools.

And I get why people immediately discount anything that is said by these helmet school head coaches and that is a real shame. Because the stupidity and unsustainability of this current system needs to be called out by as many coaches as possible.

What is going on in college basketball and college football is horrible for the sports. And this isn't about not wanting the players to get paid. The current system is a complete and total mess for everyone involved. Sure some players are profiting from it but it is tearing down everything that used to make college sports special.

Their statements may certainly be self serving to a certain degree......but it doesn't mean what they are saying is wrong and I am glad that more and more coaches are willing to speak out about the stupidity of what is going on right now.

Their statements may certainly be self serving to a certain degree......but it doesn't mean what they are saying is wrong and I am glad that more and more coaches are willing to speak out about the stupidity of what is going on right now.
"I can't believe OTHER people get paid!"

-cashes insane checks-

-runs to the next bigger paycheck-

I actually agree. I just see what I think is hypocrisy.

"I can't believe OTHER people get paid!"

-cashes insane checks-

-runs to the next bigger paycheck-

THANK YOU!!!!!

Coaches like Kelly and Saban, who have made obscene amounts of money for years coaching these kids, are suddenly getting their knickers in a twist because the athletes finally — finally! — have an opportunity to get just a piece of this very, very large money pie that is college football.

Please. Give me a break.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Coaches like Kelly and Saban, who have made obscene amounts of money for years coaching these kids, are suddenly getting their knickers in a twist because the athletes finally — finally! — have an opportunity to get just a piece of this very, very large money pie that is college football.

Please. Give me a break.
What if someone other than a head coach said it? Would that change your view at all?

What if someone other than a head coach said it? Would that change your view at all?

No. Absolutely not; it would not change my view at all.

I think it's ridiculous that people seem fine with coaches, schools, administrators, TV executives, TV and radio broadcasters, advertisers, etc, etc, making ridiculous amounts of money off of college football, and yet they scream bloody murder when the athletes themselves get to make a little something as well.

No. Absolutely not; it would not change my view at all.

I think it's ridiculous that people seem fine with coaches, schools, administrators, TV executives, TV and radio broadcasters, advertisers, etc, etc, making ridiculous amounts of money off of college football, and yet they scream bloody murder when the athletes themselves get to make a little something as well.
I guess I didn't see the bloody murder being screamed. I understand the hypocrisy, but the game is being changed for the worse not the better. It doesn't have to be this way.

I guess I didn't see the bloody murder being screamed. I understand the hypocrisy, but the game is being changed for the worse not the better. It doesn't have to be this way.

Okay, let's take out the 'bloody murder' hyperbole (on my part) and I'll rephrase it:

I seldom, if ever, saw anybody object to the idea of coaches, colleges, TV people, or advertisers making huge paychecks off of college football. Apparently, those gigantic paydays never posed a threat to the purity of the game.

But now many people seem to have become very, very concerned when the athletes themselves — the people we all love to watch perform — are getting an opportunity to have a share in the financial bonanza that is college football. They seem to see this new development as some sort of existential threat to their beloved Big Show, for some reason.

My point of view is: the athletes are the Big Show. Without them, there is no Big Show. So why should we be upset or concerned that they, too, might profit from it?

Last edited:

Brian Kelly killed a student. Maybe speak out about that?!?!

They had recruiting advantages because they are/were proven great coaches who put a lot of players into the NFL. Jimbo Fisher has always had advantages too, but he has proven to be a mediocre coach.

Okay, let's take out the 'bloody murder' hyperbole (on my part) and I'll rephrase it:

I seldom, if ever, saw anybody object to the idea of coaches, colleges, TV people, or advertisers making huge paychecks off of college football. Apparently, those gigantic paydays never posed a threat to the purity of the game.

But now many people seem to have become very, very concerned when the athletes themselves — the people we all love to watch perform — are getting an opportunity to have a share in the financial bonanza that is college football. They seem to see this new development as some sort of existential threat to their beloved Big Show, for some reason.

My point of view is: the athletes are the Big Show. Without them, there is no Big Show. So why should we be upset or concerned that they, too, might profit from it?
No problem with the kids being paid but there needs to be some kind of structure and rules of the road. The wild wild west will end up with programs being killed.
The athletes will be employees at some point and there will be contracts with legal consequence.

You are just making stuff up at this point. Pretty sure most fans would agree that coaching salaries are ridiculous.

And I also think most are completely fine with players making money......the issue isn't THAT the players are getting paid, it is HOW the players are getting paid.

The current system is a complete mess. Unrestricted free agency, unregulated pay for play, tampering, massive roster churn, players going to 3-4 different schools over the course of their career......the whole thing has become a joke in college basketball and to a lesser degree college football.

I have to say, the pearl-clutching is hilarious.

Nobody seemed to be demanding "rules" until the athletes themselves stood to make a little money.

Coaches, TV executives, colleges... they can all make money hand over fist, and nobody says boo.

Too funny.

Individual players getting paid is cool. Some individual players getting $500,000 or $1,000,000 or
$2,000,000 to play a college sport is too much too fast. There needs to be some structure so everybody gets paid. One guy can't make millions and his teammate in the same locker room gets nothing. Or one school pays millions to players but the schools they play don't have millions to spend and therefore are at a distinct disadvantage. It's out of whack...the spending needs to be regulated so people can go back to cheating.

Top Bottom