Brewster......

First Post

Hi all...first post here, but I wanted to interject, if only because people seem to have been having this argument for the past year plus, and it always seems to me like we're fighting over a subject we're mostly in agreement on.
A few points:

Mason inherited a HORRIBLE team.

He eventually did some good things with it, brought us back to regular bowls, and gave us a national profile for the first time in years. He picked one thing (the running game) and did it incredibly well. (And personally, there's never been a unit I've enjoyed watching more than our offense those 2+ really good years). Gopher football was stronger under him than it was before him. And it's safe to assume everyone here had great times watching Maroney and Barber run all over teams that had been kicking us around for years.

His teams had some absolutely historic collapses over the years. The likes of which I hope to never see again. You can blame it on a lot of different things, but a lot of people put that on coaching.

It seemed, to most observers, that the team wasn't likely to get much better than it was in his last few years. Whether or not that's true is debateable. But he wasn't firing people up around the state, bringing in the big prospects, or otherwise giving anyone reason to believe things were going to markedly improve any time soon.

Brewster is saying things we want to hear. He's telling people that the Gopher's can be regular contentenders, lock down our borders, and win Rose Bowls. He's telling people this will be a good program. Again, whether or not he's right is debateable. But some people are believing him, and that does nothing but good things for the program. Especially when the people he's talking to are our recruits.

He's bringing in higher-rated classes than Mason did. We all know talent is proven on the field. But the people who do this for a living, and our own observations, are telling us that the level of talent being brought in to this team is higher than it's been in the past.

He had one abysmally bad year. It was a year without his recruits, working in a system they didn't sign on for, but regardless of how it happened, it was bad. A great many people could have done better that year with that talent. No one was going to the Rose Bowl with it.

Most importantly, this last year, his team did nothing Mason's teams hadn't. Strong showing in a weak nonconference schedule, then getting decimated by the better parts of the Big 10 and topping it off with a slightly embarassing bowl loss. Deja vu.

Now, finally, we get to see if Brewster's promises have any foundation. In the next two years, the talent he's been bringing in will become the team we see on the field. They could fizzle, he could turn out to be a bad coach, and we could see more years like this one. Or they could become his promise of a strong team, every bit as good as Wisconsin and Iowa, competing with and beating OSU and Michigan regularly.

...For me, the possibility of that happening makes the losses this year much easier to stomach. Watching Iowa embarass us was easier because the entire time, I had hope that in a few years, we could be doing it to them with regularity. And the fact that we lost to Kansas while basically installing a new offense, in an effort to get better and bring us to that point faster, makes that loss ten times easier than Mason's last game. But, again, that's just me.

Comparing Mason with Murray Warmath is pure heresy in my book. Murray just turned 96 and I'd rather he never left than what we've had since.

I really laugh about the rearview mirror assessment of Mason. The guy coached the running game well. Big deal. We never had a decent QB under Mason. There was never any depth. The defense always stunk. Sure, he beat the gimmes and teams from the MAC, but this team was on the edge of a death spiral when Brewster took over.

People bark about our non-conference schedule, well, the current schedule was largely the product of Mason.

We lost Minnesota kids left and right under Mason. I will use the Hutchinson example here. He told Nate Swift he was too slow to play in the Big 10. He wasn't interested in Mitch Erickson (who just finished up his first year with the Denver Broncos). He didn't keep Murtha out of Deja Vu. The only guy we got from that great Hutch team was Tony Mortenson, who is a great kid and probably could have been Cupito's equal had he been given playing time. But Mason wanted to keep the door open for third-tier Ohio kids so Cupito took all the snaps.

Further, the guy was a miserable PR person (anyone here remember the famous "Well, if the phone rings. . ."?).

I cheer for the Gophers irrespective of the coach. I want Brewster to succeed, but I'll be the first to admit he's got a ways to go as a head coach. The recruiting looks good, but that has to translate sooner or later or he'll be out. The thing I find most impressive about Brewster outside the recruiting is that he appears to be secure enough (and in fairness, Maturi has given him some budget leeway) to hire quality assistant coaches. I didn't like the Dunbar hiring and I hope he's gone soon, but no one can argue with Dunbar's credentials (It's just the spread uber alles mentality that bugs me).

EG#9's post is right on the mark.

ONLY ONE WAY TO JUDGE

A college football coach is not hired to win games, they're hired to win championships. Unless the coach has won a Big Ten or National Championship, they didn't do what they were hired to do. Flat-out end of conversation.

Since Murray Warmath, here's the best each coach finished in the Big Ten:
Stoll (7 seasons) - 3rd
Salem (5 seasons) - 5th
Holtz (2 seasons) - 6th
Gutekunst (6 seasons) - T-3rd
Wacker (5 seasons) - T-8th
Mason (10 seasons) - T-4th
Brewster (2 seasons) - T-6th

Mason obviously wasn't going to win a Big Ten title, that's why Brewster is here.

Cal Stoll was a very good coach. Too bad he was here when the Admin and Regents were trying to destroy varsity sports, especially football.

Gutenkunst

"Since Murray Warmath, here's the best each coach finished in the Big Ten:
Stoll (7 seasons) - 3rd
Salem (5 seasons) - 5th
Holtz (2 seasons) - 6th
Gutekunst (6 seasons) - T-3rd
Wacker (5 seasons) - T-8th
Mason (10 seasons) - T-4th
Brewster (2 seasons) - T-6th"

WAY TO GO GUTIE!!! Tied for best in the last 30 years or so!

Signed,
Gutenkunst-ite

Hi all...first post here, but I wanted to interject, if only because people seem to have been having this argument for the past year plus, and it always seems to me like we're fighting over a subject we're mostly in agreement on.
A few points:

Mason inherited a HORRIBLE team.

Now, finally, we get to see if Brewster's promises have any foundation. In the next two years, the talent he's been bringing in will become the team we see on the field. They could fizzle, he could turn out to be a bad coach, and we could see more years like this one. Or they could become his promise of a strong team, every bit as good as Wisconsin and Iowa, competing with and beating OSU and Michigan regularly.

Mason inherited a team with more talent than what he left it with.

and If Brewster only makes us as good as Iowa and Wisconsin then we are in trouble because those 2 teams suck and are on their way down. We need to leave them in the dust and be better than any other Big Ten team because the Big Ten sucks, we need to compare ourselves to the national powerhouses, USC, Texas, Florida. If we are not in the same shape as those, then Brewster failed.

I want Brewster to succeed, but I'll be the first to admit he's got a ways to go as a head coach. The recruiting looks good, but that has to translate sooner or later or he'll be out. The thing I find most impressive about Brewster outside the recruiting is that he appears to be secure enough (and in fairness, Maturi has given him some budget leeway) to hire quality assistant coaches. I didn't like the Dunbar hiring and I hope he's gone soon, but no one can argue with Dunbar's credentials (It's just the spread uber alles mentality that bugs me)

Great statement. That's what makes football the greatest game out there...it is the perfect balance of teamwork, individual players' talent, and playcalling schemes! All of these three things depend on and enhance one another.

Right now Brewster has shown that he can get the talented players, the other two are yet to be seen as the players develop.

We'll just have to wait...if Brewster fails at the other two areas we can can hire someone who can playcall effectively and utilize/foster effective teamwork...the foundation will be there for success with a crop of talented, developed individual players. Same conditions that Ron Zook left Florida for Urban Meyer. No matter what the future looks brighter for Gopher football right now than it has for a long time.

Welcome RP. GREAT first post! Well said...I think it really frames where we are right now nicely.

Most importantly, this last year, his team did nothing Mason's teams hadn't. Strong showing in a weak nonconference schedule, then getting decimated by the better parts of the Big 10 and topping it off with a slightly embarassing bowl loss. Deja vu.

There are two parts of your post that resonate the most with me. First...this was definitely a "Mason" type year. As of now we're on the upswing. Maybe not as big a step up as we wanted, but we're getting better. But this level isn't acceptable as a consistent result b/c its the same level of moderate success (dare I say mediocrity) as Mason gave us. If we don't get better than this then I'll agree that Brewster should go. But IMHO 1 Mason like year shouldn't cause this much angst among Gopher fans...yet it does. Why? My guess is that this comes from a few things:
1) Some fans don't like Brewsters often over the top enthusiasm/style. Whether they are "Mason-ites" is irrelevant. They won't settle for Mason like results from a coach who is "selling" more.
2) Some fans think we shouldn't have fired Mason. They agree with folks like Stewart Mandell that Mason was taking us as high as we could probably go. This doesn't mean they ignored Mason's faults, but they thought he made us "consistent" and nationally known for our running game. They don't like the new guy only getting to Mason's level (while adding in a few new firsts of his own a'la the Iowa beatdown).
3) Folks who were willing to give him a chance until we hit 1-11. I really believe that some folks soured on Brewster thoroughly and completely after last year. They are upset that we traded in a bowl team for a history setting losing season and doubt Brewster's ability to coach.
4) Some combo of the above (plus other factors I'm not thinking of).

For me, the possibility of that happening makes the losses this year much easier to stomach. Watching Iowa embarass us was easier because the entire time, I had hope that in a few years, we could be doing it to them with regularity. And the fact that we lost to Kansas while basically installing a new offense, in an effort to get better and bring us to that point faster, makes that loss ten times easier than Mason's last game. But, again, that's just me.

As frustrating as the Iowa and Wisky games were to watch I had a similar feeling...I couldn't shake the thought (especially related to defense) that the scheme was there and more talent with the current scheme/mindset brought to the team by Brewster/Roof would equal success. I'm not saying I accepted the losses as ok (getting past accepting mediocrity is one reason I am still so high on Brewster) but I also saw them as part of the rough process of getting better. Also, I see Brewster's style as a net positive (though there are many times that I wish he'd try to filter his enthusiasm a little better...see "program changing win" over so-so IL team)

The only people I wholeheartedly disagree with are the ones who seem to be ready to run Brewster out ASAP rather than give him the time he deserves. I think anyone who is being rational about this can acknowledge that Brewster could end up being a bust as a coach. But he could also be a success. A Mason level success or Rose level success is TBD. Whether you are a glass half full or glass half empy person I think we all agree on one thing...wins are what matter.

If Brewster only makes us as good as Iowa and Wisconsin then we are in trouble because those 2 teams suck and are on their way down.

I think the Iowa/Wisky references were to the recent level of success those programs enjoyed, not their recent struggles. Overall both schools have been pretty strong programs recently.

So Brew will be on his second offensive coordinator and now third defensive coordinator in three seasons with Roof bailing....how much of the instability is Brew....is Minnesota....or is the money?

Personally, I tend to think that you add up the money and the cold Minnesota climate and then factor in that Brewster has been hiring a lot of guys with a sort of high-risk, high-reward reputation and you get situations where coaches bail.

I am concerned about what has transpired in the past few hours however. I don't like losing coaches left and right, especially on the defensive side, which has been a problem for years now.

Something needs to be done to entice these guys to stay, otherwise, we'll end up spinning our wheels while not getting anywhere.

Personally, I tend to think that you add up the money and the cold Minnesota climate and then factor in that Brewster has been hiring a lot of guys with a sort of high-risk, high-reward reputation and you get situations where coaches bail.

I am concerned about what has transpired in the past few hours however. I don't like losing coaches left and right, especially on the defensive side, which has been a problem for years now.

Something needs to be done to entice these guys to stay, otherwise, we'll end up spinning our wheels while not getting anywhere.

I agree, I think the Athletic Dept. needs to do a better job of fund raising to subsidize the department so we can afford to pay the higher salaries for good coaches. We are one of the larger universities in the country with a ton of alumni and numerous fortune 500 companies based here that we should be able to do some effective fund raising. When you see a program like Nebraska that gets no state funding for their athletic department and has a small population and alumni base to pull from, yet has top of the line facilities it can be done if the university can get some good fundraisers on-board.

Cal Stoll was a very good coach. Too bad he was here when the Admin and Regents were trying to destroy varsity sports, especially football.

Stoll was a good coach. I thought it he was too wedded to the veer offense, but he recruited well and his teams always played hard. Classy guy as well.

It is amazing how split this board is on Brewster. Sounds like next season might be a make or break year for him in the fans eyes. It will be a very interesting year.

Top Bottom