Brewster......

srhjj....
thank you for the funniest first post in the history of the gopherhole. I love it that you brought up 3 players that never had a chance of seeing the field and then going on and blaming brewster. I see that you are from Tennessee.... you probably should be paying more attention to your own football team instead of trolling around here. Good luck with Kiffen.

Funniest First Post

You might want to check your facts regarding the 3 o-lineman never seeing the field.

DeGeest saw a lot of playing time in 2006 and started in that Insight Bowl. He was a starter in 2007.

Hudson as you may recall was a recruit that everyone was excited about his "ready for NFL body". He saw playing time at DT and on the o-line after his redshirt year. He was developing the skills to fit the body, but with two years remaining, left the program....fed up with Brewster's BS.

Justin Jenson was a greyshirt. Maybe he is the one who you think may not have seen the feild. I won't argue that point with you since he left after 1 season ( I think).

"[Mason] got fired for mediocrity."

Mason was fired for accepting mediocrity. He said it in more words again and again.

Is Glen Mason Still Drawing a Pay Check from the U of M?

And not to mention that Mason was 8-5 in his third year. He got fired for mediocrity and we'll know next year if this guy can approach Mason's level. I hope he doesn't get extended until we see how he does during the first three games of the non-conference schedule. The honeymoon is over and now he needs to produce some wins.

akgopher,

1. I think Glen Mason got fired because Joel Maturi did not (does not) like him and wanted to get rid of Glen in the worst way possible. I am not sure Joel's decision was based so much on merit as it was on emotion.

2. Having said that, and knowing that my comment will infuriate 85 percent of the folk who read this board, I would like to know if Glen Mason is still drawing a pay check from the University of Minnesota or whether all accounts have been settled. Does anybody know for sure?

SKI-U-MAH!

akgopher,

1. I think Glen Mason got fired because Joel Maturi did not (does not) like him and wanted to get rid of Glen in the worst way possible. I am not sure Joel's decision was based so much on merit as it was on emotion.

2. Having said that, and knowing that my comment will infuriate 85 percent of the folk who read this board, I would like to know if Glen Mason is still drawing a pay check from the University of Minnesota or whether all accounts have been settled. Does anybody know for sure?

SKI-U-MAH!

There it is the 800 LB gorilla. The Mason and Monson buyouts. Maturi's hands are tied with Brewster. He doesn't want to screw-up his recruiting by putting him in a lame-duck contract situation, but he can't fire him with more than one year on his contract. The state and U economic situation would make such a move a political mess, especially after the beating the press gave the last two buyouts.

Extend him now and we're stuck with him for 2-3 more years even if he goes 2-10 next year.

On Decisions and Joel Maturi

I guess it's unfair to expect results heading into year three. His predecessor was 8-5 in year three and Brewster's second half of his second team might have been worse than his 1-11 team.

Maturi needs to make a decision on this guy soon. Does he extend him now based on what he's accomplished or send him out on the recruiting trail facing year 4 of a 5 year deal?

The vibe in TCF could be pretty lame by October if they stick to their no beer sales policy.

Joel Maturi made his decision. He fired Glen Mason because Glen lost to Texas Tech Red Raiders 44-41 in an amazing comeback by a TT team that beat Texas this year. Remember, Glen would not have lost this game if the game clock rules instantiated in 2007 were in effect. Red Raiders would have run out of time in their comeback. But it does not matter, we are where we are. Question is, how to we move forward from an 0-5 streak with a devastating trouncing at home by Iowa. To me we have taken 3 steps back and have moved 1 step forward. Glen never had a 1-11 season. We fired him at 6-7. We finished 2008 at 7-6 with a 5 game losing streak. 2009 will be the acid test year. Some of us are not interested in recruiting hype. We just want to see Ws and we don't care if the recruits come from Minneapolis Edison, East Chicago Roosevelt, or West Philadelphia. We just want to see Ws and we don't want to see 0-55 scores at home. Joel does not have the luxury of another decision in my humble opinion. If a decision has to be made, the next decision will be regarding Joel. I feel bad for Tim Brewster because he is just a good fella trying to make it in Division 1A / Big Ten. He did not initiate any head coach firing / hiring decisions. He is just trying to do his job as best he can.

Hate to be showing my ignorance, but which "true" freshman QB was Brewster forced to start?
After setting several records, Cupito said the shirt behind him was going to break 'em all.
Kid from Mounds View. Don't recall the name.

Srhjj,

You can't seriously believe that any of those three were anything but back ups and at best below average linemen. Brewster was left with no OL, RB's, LB,DB that were above average and only one DL that was above average and he was injured Brewsters first year.

1. The team that Mason left us was absolute crap, slow and untalented. These players have no business playing college football

2. game day coaching is over rated when you have no talent. players win games. Game day coaching comes into play in national championship games against other good coaches with equal talent in close games.

I think Mason in his last few years got lazy recruiting and Brewster is reaping the rewards. Look at the O-Line and tell me what talent Mason left? Running backs what talent is there? The secondary is made up of new Brewster recruits, what Mason recruits are there to help? D-line what talent did Mason leave besides WVS, this whole team is made up of patch work.

Again, not sure Brewter can coach, but the most important thing in college football is someone that can recruit. Talent wins over coaching, not even Pete Carroll would have won more than 3 games with this team last year, given their talent level.

Gopherjer,

1. Wrong. The most important thing in college football is someone that wins games. In fact, at the end of the day, it is the only thing that really matters.

2. As my Sea Daddy aboard USS NIMITZ (CVN 68) used to tell me, "Nobody cares about explanations (excuses), the only thing that matters is results!"

3. I refuse to get worked up over recruiting propaganda, be they 1 star or 5 star. 2009 will be the money year. Honeymoon is now over and it seemed to have ended exactly at Memorial Stadium in Champaign-Urbana earlier this year.

4. I don't care who we recruit. I don't care who Glen Mason did not recruit. I don't care if Glen left a cupboard bare or whether he left it full of Rimington award candidates, Heisman candidates, and Outland trophy candidates. The only thing that matters is results.

5. Here is hoping we reverse our skid against the Air Force Falcons.

SKI-U-MAH!

Hilarious that after 10 years of .500 football we are still mad about the firing of Mason. Personally, I would rather take a 50/50 chance on a program becoming great or failing, rather than sitting at .500 every year. Get some balls people, get behind Brewster. He has shown he will bring in the recruits and athletes to compete with the big boys, lets see if he can get his coaches straight..... if he can, we are going to be VERY good, if he can't be won't be. Either way, people who whine about Mason leaving and were happy being .500 every year can take their tight whiteys off and grow a pair. Lets at least take a chance at being great....... and to do that you have to have big recruits, which Brewster can get us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Retards all over this board. Or just angry old men, not such which????

No I am not wrong, talent wins over coaching any day. You are a Mason sell out and that is fine, but do not blame Brewster for having no talent to work with. Lawerence in the previous post nailed it, you keep drinking the Mason kool aid!

Hilarious that after 10 years of .500 football we are still mad about the firing of Mason. Personally, I would rather take a 50/50 chance on a program becoming great or failing, rather than sitting at .500 every year. Get some balls people, get behind Brewster. He has shown he will bring in the recruits and athletes to compete with the big boys, lets see if he can get his coaches straight..... if he can, we are going to be VERY good, if he can't be won't be. Either way, people who whine about Mason leaving and were happy being .500 every year can take their tight whiteys off and grow a pair. Lets at least take a chance at being great....... and to do that you have to have big recruits, which Brewster can get us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Retards all over this board. Or just angry old men, not such which????

sonnygarcia,

1. I am an unhappy old man. I was at the last Kansas game in Memorial Stadium and I believe we put up a better showing on 7 October 1972 when we lost 34-28. I am glad I did not pay money to visit Sun Devil Stadium on 31 December 2008. It was bad enough on the NFL Network.

2. I have now seen 8 Golden Gopher head football coaches come and go. We fired three good ones (Warmath, Stoll, Mason) and the other good one (Holtz) ran out of town and left us pregnant and with a case of Herpes, HIV, and AIDS.

3. You are quick to bark, and probably even faster to bite. When you run out of ammunition to debate with, you just start attacking people personally.

4. I am sorry but losing to Iowa 55-0 at home, there is just no excuse for such a horrid performance. I don't blame our football players, they tried hard, especially our defense.

5. By the way, no matter how much you hate Glen Mason, the fact of the matter is he did not need superstars to close winning seasons. His Big Ten record was not great, but we went to bowl games year in and year out, and we earned many individual accolades. We were noted as a rushing power house. We built Offensive lines, we did not need to recruit them. Glen took German / Swedish stock and built great offensive lines out of no names.

SKI-U-MAH!

Gopherjer,

1. Wrong. The most important thing in college football is someone that wins games. In fact, at the end of the day, it is the only thing that really matters.

2. As my Sea Daddy aboard USS NIMITZ (CVN 68) used to tell me, "Nobody cares about explanations (excuses), the only thing that matters is results!"

3. I refuse to get worked up over recruiting propaganda, be they 1 star or 5 star. 2009 will be the money year. Honeymoon is now over and it seemed to have ended exactly at Memorial Stadium in Champaign-Urbana earlier this year.

4. I don't care who we recruit. I don't care who Glen Mason did not recruit. I don't care if Glen left a cupboard bare or whether he left it full of Rimington award candidates, Heisman candidates, and Outland trophy candidates. The only thing that matters is results.

5. Here is hoping we reverse our skid against the Air Force Falcons.

SKI-U-MAH!

I agree with a lot of what you say but did think that Glen Mason had run his course here, I just think we should have expected more than Tim Brewster.

Did you know that Ferentz was never a coordinator either?

You are correct but he was a head coach previously before going to Iowa at Maine. Also, he had ties to the program there and was pretty much hand picked by Hayden Fry for the job. Brewster had no ties here and no coordinator or head coaching experience. My point I do not think it is appropriate for my university to be a training ground for a coach, that is what the Maines of the world are for.

sonnygarcia,

1. I am an unhappy old man. I was at the last Kansas game in Memorial Stadium and I believe we put up a better showing on 7 October 1972 when we lost 34-28. I am glad I did not pay money to visit Sun Devil Stadium on 31 December 2008. It was bad enough on the NFL Network.

2. I have now seen 8 Golden Gopher head football coaches come and go. We fired three good ones (Warmath, Stoll, Mason) and the other good one (Holtz) ran out of town and left us pregnant and with a case of Herpes, HIV, and AIDS.

3. You are quick to bark, and probably even faster to bite. When you run out of ammunition to debate with, you just start attacking people personally.

4. I am sorry but losing to Iowa 55-0 at home, there is just no excuse for such a horrid performance. I don't blame our football players, they tried hard, especially our defense.

5. By the way, no matter how much you hate Glen Mason, the fact of the matter is he did not need superstars to close winning seasons. His Big Ten record was not great, but we went to bowl games year in and year out, and we earned many individual accolades. We were noted as a rushing power house. We built Offensive lines, we did not need to recruit them. Glen took German / Swedish stock and built great offensive lines out of no names.

SKI-U-MAH!

If you are fine with being average in life, then thats your choice. I think most people would rather strive for more. Hilarious that people stand up for Mason, what a bum!!!!!! He did not need superstars because he could never get them!!!!! Even more hilarious that you list him as one of the good U coaches. Being .500 and making an embarrassing bowl each year!!

There it is the 800 LB gorilla. The Mason and Monson buyouts. Maturi's hands are tied with Brewster. He doesn't want to screw-up his recruiting by putting him in a lame-duck contract situation, but he can't fire him with more than one year on his contract. The state and U economic situation would make such a move a political mess, especially after the beating the press gave the last two buyouts.

Extend him now and we're stuck with him for 2-3 more years even if he goes 2-10 next year.

I am sure Joel Maturi is hoping more than anyone right now that the Brewster hire works out because if it doesn't he will be on the same bus out of town as Brewster. I agree that Maturi is in a tough situation but at the end of the day he is the one that put himself there.

Kansas is a well coached team that executes it's offense very well. Reesing > Weber, Briscoe > Decker, Meier > Green, Kansas OL > Minnesota OL. Can you figure out why we lost?

You are correct that Kansas is well coached but lets don't give them to much credit here as they were not the Kansas of 2007. They lost to a poor South Florida team, barely beat a terrible Iowa State team and were beat by a Nebraska team that had two walk-ons playing on defense. This same team that Minnesota had a month to prepare for and yet was taken to the wood shed by them.

Oh, you mean the same Kansas team that won zero conference games under Mangino it's first year and three conference game the next season under Mangino? The same Kansas team that won a total of 8 games its first two seasons under Mangino? The same Kansas team that was in the Orange Bowl last season under that same coach? I wonder if the are glad they gave him the time to get his own players in before they gave up on him?

Evidence being

That the best methods to use players are almost always developed at second tier schools like Utah, and carried to the talent rich schools like Florida. The talent rich schools adopt schools that require good coaching adapt.

No I am not wrong, talent wins over coaching any day. You are a Mason sell out and that is fine, but do not blame Brewster for having no talent to work with. Lawerence in the previous post nailed it, you keep drinking the Mason kool aid!

..has done ALOT of talking since he came here. He had to, since the Gopher football program is a mess. He said last weekend that we would have two commits by the end of this weekend. Maybe he should just keep his mouth shut once in awhile and let his actions speak. I wonder if recruits watching the team lose 29-6 and 55-0, along with alot of TALK from Brewster turned kids off. As I said, I've been a supporter of Brewster, but my guess the rest of this recruting class will like alot like Mason's recruits. If the team flounders next season(and unless they improve ALOT, the record will be worse) then recruting will get even more difficult.

gopher - you are an idiot who obviously does not know what he is talking about! please go back to your becky or hogeye site bro because you don't provide anything insightful to read here.

Okay you all need to settle down and look at the facts:

Minnesota football sucked for 3 decades.
Mason was hired and made them average, but that was his best.
Brewster came in and has made changes like a good coach should (let's examine those further):

Problem: Lack of talent
Solution: Higher rated recruits for later improvement, JC transfers for immediate improvement
Brewster 1, critics 0.

Problem: Worst defense in the country
Solution: New Defensive Coordinator
Brewster 2, critics 0.

Problem: Poor Offensive Line
Solution: New Offensive Line Coach
Brewster 3, critics 0.

Problem: No running game
Solution: OL recruits built to better support the run and blocking
Brewster 4, critics 0.

Problem: Only one good receiver, easily targeted by opposing defenses
Solution: 4* and 3* WR commits, and heavy recruiting even though most think we're set
Brewster 5, critics 0.

Problem: Still the weakest offense in maybe decades
Solution: ... sounds like Dunbar is out soon

When the talent wasn't there, Brewster recruiter better talent. When the coaching wasn't there, Brewster hired new coaches. He's doing everything he should be doing as the head coach -- and far more than Mason or Wacker or Guddie or any other coach in quite some time. What's more? He's not afraid to go for it on fourth down. He supports and cheers on his players, and let's them determine their own fate. He doesn't tuck tail and punt hoping for a break on D. He tries to win -- something we've not seen a Minnesota coach do in who knows when.

It's been 2 years. Give the man some time.

Magpie,

1#1 Hopefully we get better recruits, remember two of our highest from last year are playing elsewhere.
#2 Withers left, why did we hire him in the 1st place if Brew thought he could do the job, Poor hire?
#4 Brewster chose not to recruit any linemen the 1st two classes because he thought there was enough in house, poor evaluator?
#3 Didn't Brew hire Meyer??? Poor hire???
#5 I hope they can play, wasn't impressed with this years class hope another year makes them better, should he have redshirted 1/2 of the class, 11 catches.
#6 Dunbar was pretty good at NW, left Cal due to similar circumstances, Tedord didn't want to be 100% spread. I think he's here for another year after the St. Louis Dispatch debacle. Brew can't fire him now.

Magpie,

1#1 Hopefully we get better recruits, remember two of our highest from last year are playing elsewhere.
#2 Withers left, why did we hire him in the 1st place if Brew thought he could do the job, Poor hire?
#4 Brewster chose not to recruit any linemen the 1st two classes because he thought there was enough in house, poor evaluator?
#5 I hope they can play, wasn't impressed with this years class hope another year makes them better, should he have redshirted 1/2 of the class, 11 catches.
#6 Dunbar was pretty good at NW, left Cal due to similar circumstances, Tedord didn't want to be 100% spread. I think he's here for another year after the St. Louis Dispatch debacle. Brew can't fire him now.

#1: Huh, you mean Vinny Hill who did not qualify? BTW, we were 2 guys over the limit on signing day.
#4: Do the names Chris Bunders, Ryan Wynn, Ryan Orton and Trey Davis ring a bell (all signed in '07)? The one OL recruited for '08 (Grayden) didn't make it academically (he still may reappear).

Please keep in mind that Brewster has only one real class, not two. He was hired two weeks prior to signing day, hardly enough time recruit his players.

Those guys committed to Brew or Mason?
We have one other highly rated recruit from last year playing elsewhere don't we? If they don't qualify who cares if they commit.

So you are pinning the first class to Brewter with only 2 weeks to recruit? If that is the case you are not open to judging him fairly and have another agenda, I am not going to play that game because you are not open minded enough to discuss it with. If Brewster recruits players that do not qualify, then it's on Brewster.

I love how the ardent Mason supporters love to point out that Brewster inherited a "bowl team". They neglect to point out that the bowl team Brewster inherited was only bowl eligible because that squad got extremely lucky to beat the powerhouse NDSU Bison.

The Only Metric That Matters is Number of Wins

Magpie,

nemosgold,

1. You hit some nails on the head.

2. I want Tim Brewster to be very successful here at the University of Minnesota. Having said that, I believe the honeymoon is now over. He has been our head coach now for 24 months and two complete seasons. PSATs are over. In 2009 he takes the SATs and we shall see how he scores. At the end of the day, the only metric that matters is number of wins. I discount all the other subjective metrics that other posters are hanging on this board. Both Tim Brewster's and Joel Maturi's careers depend upon how many games Tim wins in 2009. May it be many!

3. I sound very much like my good friends Wren and Loon. I miss them! OK, now I just gave everybody carte blanche to fire away at me on this board. You may fire when you are ready Gridley!

SKI-U-MAH!

sonnygarcia,

SKI-U-MAH!

1. Wasn't our previous trip to the Insight Bowl just as bad?
2. I don't think Mason belongs in a class with Stoll, and certainly not Warmath.
4. We had plenty of very embarrassing losses to Iowa and Wisconsin under Glen Mason. I disagree that the team tried hard in the 55-0 game. There is plenty of blame to go around for that game, lots of it should go to Brewster.
5. Tim Brewster had a "Glen Mason" season this year. He started out fast, he went 4-0 against a non conference schedule featuring zero BCS teams, he lost a game in the final seconds partly due to horrid coaching decisions (Northwestern), he lost to both Iowa and Wisconsin, and he finished 3-5 (Mason's career avg) in the Big Ten.

If you enjoyed Mason's tenure at Minnesota, you should have enjoyed this season. I hope better things are in store for '09 and believe Brewster deserves '09 before we even start to judge him.

Top Bottom