Brewster = vastly over-rated recruiter?

Reaction score
With all the talk about Brewster, and his 'renouned' recruiting ability, :rolleyes: I searched for an objective way to measure his performance for this current recruiting class. Scout and Rivals seem to get most of the acclaim when it comes to college football recruiting, with Scout regarded as best and most reliable, (though far from perfect).

So, I pulled up Scout.com and looked at a ranking of 'average stars' for the class of 2010...and quite frankly, I was a bit surprised at what I found.:eek::eek:

In a nutshell, the Gophers, as of earlier this evening, have 27 verbal commitments, and are sitting at dead last in the Big 11 in football recruiting, by the criteria mentioned.:eek::eek:

Here are this year's national rankings, so far:

>Penn St.---tied for 2nd...at 4.00
>Ohio St.---8th..............at 3.59
>Mich. St.--17th.............at 3.28
>Mich.------22nd............at 3.19
>Wisky-----42nd.............at 2.78
>Iowa------43rd.............at 2.75
>NW-------56th..............at 2.56
>Illinois-----57th.............at 2.54
>Purdue----60th.............at 2.52
>Indiana----65th.............at 2.40
>Gophers---tied for 76th...at 2.22 (tied with New Mexico):eek::eek::eek:

Don't like saying it, but with a cumulative Big 11 record of 6-18...and recruiting results like this...my message to Joel Maturi is to keep the Brew's buyout nice and low.

P.S. I don't recall Mason's recruiting classes ever being dead last in the Big 11, and in the bottom 40% of the nation:(
But I could be mistaken.

Did they move signing day to January 18?

You have a short memory don't you?

While I'd like to see this years class a little higher, it's still better than almost anything Mason brought in.

Per Scout:
2010...53rd overall, 8th in BT (this is not a complete class yet)
2009...46th overall, 6th in BT
2008...28th overall, 5th in BT
2007...59th overall, 9th in BT
2006...62nd overall, 9th in BT
2005...56th overall, 10th in BT
2004...58th overall, 9th in BT
2003...53rd overall, 8th in BT
2002...67th overall, 10th in BT

Rivals rankings are better then scout..just so you know.

Per Rivals:
2010...42nd overall, 6th in BT
2009...39th overall, 6th in BT
2008...17th overall, 3rd in BT
2007...57th overall, 9th in BT
2006...62nd overall, 9th in BT
2005...55th overall, 10th in BT
2004...58th overall, 9th in BT
2003...37th overall, 4th in BT
2002...55th overall, 9th in BT

If you can't see improvement you're not looking.

With all the talk about Brewster, and his 'renouned' recruiting ability, :rolleyes: I searched for an objective way to measure his performance for this current recruiting class. Scout and Rivals seem to get most of the acclaim when it comes to college football recruiting, with Scout regarded as best and most reliable, (though far from perfect).

So, I pulled up Scout.com and looked at a ranking of 'average stars' for the class of 2010...and quite frankly, I was a bit surprised at what I found.:eek::eek:

In a nutshell, the Gophers, as of earlier this evening, have 27 verbal commitments, and are sitting at dead last in the Big 11 in football recruiting, by the criteria mentioned.:eek::eek:

Don't like saying it, but with a cumulative Big 11 record of 6-18...and recruiting results like this...my message to Joel Maturi is to keep the Brew's buyout nice and low.

P.S. I don't recall Mason's recruiting classes ever being dead last in the Big 11, and in the bottom 40% of the nation:(
But I could be mistaken.

Nobody uses scout rankings. Rivals is by far more highly regarded, But since we are ranked lower using scouts rating system you decided to use it because it suits your agenda. You are a tool and your agenda is too obvious.

But I could be mistaken.

Ignore the troll..all he does is bad mouth the program and praise Iowa...

He thinks Mark Alt is the second coming of JoeMauer and wants him to sign with his favorite team...Iowa.

Seriously, GVbadger provides more substance on this site and that saying a lot.....

He thinks Mark Alt is the second coming of JoeMauer and wants him to sign with his favorite team...Iowa.

Seriously, GVbadger provides more substance on this site and that saying a lot.....

Maybe a nice catch, but shouldn't a guy calling himself Conference Champ be an Ohio State fan?

Brewster's recruiting numbers are very misleading. They are based on how many players commit, not how many actually make it to campus. If you factor that in, Mason scores higher that Brewster. His recruits generally made it to campus. Problem players can really up the rankings, but do the program NO good.

Subjective ... many would take Scout.
I prefer Rivals but it's really an,'apples and oranges', comparison. Scouts weights towards immediate impact, while Rivals, weights towards career contribution. Scouts really underrates program guys that need a couple of years to develop.

Brewster's recruiting numbers are very misleading. They are based on how many players commit, not how many actually make it to campus. If you factor that in, Mason scores higher that Brewster. His recruits generally made it to campus. Problem players can really up the rankings, but do the program NO good.

Glen had his share of "washouts" too and him and good old Gordie use to watch as the top Minnesota players headed elsewhere. We weren't talking about keeping the "TOP" guy in the state or even one of the top two. Glen and good old Gordie were hoping to get two or three of the Top Ten!

But hey, it's all subjective. Why Glen and good old Gordie took those great recruits to one third place Big Ten finish in his ten years!

ConferenceChamp > Doogie

I don't think even Doogie picked the Gophers to go 0-11 as Conference Champ did in his weekly picks.

Of course that record seems to be a sound indicator of Conference Champs understanding of football in general.

i am wondering why people believe that rivals is so much better than scout. just as someone said in this thread, conferencechamp would use scout as his reference because scout ranks the minnesota class lower than rivals and so it fits his agenda, but the same can be said the other way. gopher fans love to use rivals ratings because it makes us feel better about our class, it fits the our agenda.

is there any objective way to compare the two sites? i don't think so. at the risk of sounding like the Loon, it is all very subjective.

over at scout the administrator (who is also a long time GI subscriber) posted this nice write-up of the differences between the two sites.

unless someone can give me some substantial impartial data on rivals superiority in rating recruits, then i don't think it is as easy as just saying rivals is better than scout (by the way the 2010 class is ranked #40 on rivals and #48 at scout. hardly a drastic difference).

i get a little frustrated with the way that rivals seems to be throwing around the three stars. i think it is incredibly disingenuous to say that a recruit is an automatic three star just because he commits to a BCS school. but i'm sure it helps with subscription sales.

1) Scout is subpar.

2) Brewster is better than Mason, Wacker, Guddy, etc, etc.

I don't think even Doogie picked the Gophers to go 0-11 as Conference Champ did in his weekly picks.

Of course that record seems to be a sound indicator of Conference Champs understanding of football in general.

Hey Iceland-

You can check the link below to see who came in 7th place (out of nearly 200 'Holer contestants) :D with this past season's picks of the winners of the Gopher games. :D

BTW, thanks to our resident Snowman (Rick Mons) for providing the entertainment.

Can't accuse me of being a Kool-Aid drinker :D
or in having a lot of faith in the direction of the football program, under the current head coach.:eek:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=13275

Hey Iceland-

You can check the link below to see who came in 7th place (out of nearly 200 'Holer contestants) :D with this past season's picks of the winners of the Gopher games. :D

BTW, thanks to our resident Snowman (Rick Mons) for providing the entertainment.

or in having a lot of faith in the direction of the football program, under the current head coach.:eek:

Can we accuse you of not being fair since in the 2 years of Brewster recruiting he has out-recruited Iowa and Wisconsin according to Rivals for the first time in 10 years? Or would the truth hurt too much?

He thinks Mark Alt is the second coming of JoeMauer and wants him to sign with his favorite team...Iowa...

My favorite team? Iowa? hahahahahaha...not exactly:rolleyes:

But Alt's favorite football team is the Hawkeyes, or so I've heard...Maybe you misunderstood my earlier post?

although I will admit I cheered for Iowa the night they played in the Orange Bowl.
as I cheered for all the Big 11 teams playing in bowl games a few weeks ago.

FYI...one of my favorite games of the year was Northwestern thumpin' the Hawkeyes:D

But 'we' need to change some perceptions that the national press has, and this past bowl season helped in that regard.

If I really was an Iowa troll, then I would want Brewster to have a 20-year, iron-clad contract extension from Maturi in front of him:eek:

Subjective ... many would take Scout.

Exactly. Rivals has an overwhelming number of players rated higher than 5.5, too. Many of those over rated players on rivals are much lower ranked at scout and rightfully so which brings our recruiting rankings back down to earth.

1) You're a troll
2) You need to lay off the emoticons...we get the point:clap::):(:confused::mad::p;):D:eek::rolleyes::cool::eek::cry::cool02::pig::cheer::drink::party::rockon::cool03::blah::banghead::horse:

I can't believe anyone could fall for this one. Very, very poor attempt at a troll job. Hope the 20 minutes or more of your life it took to write that was fulfilling for you.

Hey Iceland-

Being right half the time got you 7th out of 200?

That certainly doesn't excuse the fact that only a troll or an unrepentant Masonite would pick them to lose every week. It does though, underline the need for people on this board to avoid gambling at all costs!! :banghead:

Brewster was hired and touted based largely on his recruiting ability at Texas, which is not exactly a tough job. As they said during the national championship game, Mack Brown says at Texas they don't recruit they select. If this is what Maturi wanted to use as his criteria for hiring a coach, then I guess we should hire Bruce Chambers as our next head coach since he is the current recruiting coordinator for Texas. I hope Maturi gets the memo next time that there are coaches out there than both recruit and coach

That is plain false. Mason had a very high attrition rate. Look at this year's graduating seniors, only 8 of them are Mason scholarship recruits. The majority are either walks ons or JCs.

Speaking of Rivals ratings, the kid that got the scholarship offer from the Badgers over Epping and Eggan was finally rated on Rivals. His name is Dallas Lewallen and he is a 5.6 three star.

Epping and Eggen are 5.5 three stars.

It seems the Badgers coaching staff knew what they were doing all along and Rivals finally figured it out also.:clap::cool02:

One thing I don't like about Scout is that they rank Josh Campion and Joey Searcy as 1-star recruits for 2010 even though they are already included in the 2009 class. They are gray-shirts and because of that, are automatically 1-star players. Campion went from a 3-star to 1-star player over one year according to their rankings.

Top Bottom