Brewster speaks tomorrow?

When I logged on tonight, I was shocked to see that there was not a new Tim Brewster thread. He was indeed on 1500 tonight with Scott Korzenowski for about 20 minutes. Brew explained why he went silent after his firing. I appreciated the explanation and actually believe him. He said it was the lowest point in his career and he needed time to process what happened. He expressed sincere well wishes for the team and the kids he recruited.

Link is on the front page of 1500 right now: http://www.1500espn.com/

I am listening to the interview now. I don't think enough people understand how devastating it must have been for Coach Brewster to be fired 3 1/2 years in to the job. It was his ONE chance to be the head coach of a major college football team, a goald he'd been working his entire career to achieve. With the results on the field, and at his age, it will be almost impossible for him to ever get another shot at a BCS job. That's not to say anyone should feel sorry for him as he did have his shot.

Hard work or hardly working? You sound like a very inexperienced judge of what a head football coach is supposed to do, be and accomplish. A football coach has to accomplish something with his work. "Trying is lying." You either DO...or...you don't. That brewster didn't. He drove the program into a brick wall at a very high rate of speed. He was releaved of his duties in the middle of the season. He lost it. He never had it. He failed...in his first season he was 1-11 overall and 0-8 in Big Ten play. It was ALL OVER by the end of the 2007 season.

"Poured his heart into the program?????????" Are you kidding me???????? I don't think so. Look at the results. He was 6 and stinking 21 in Big Ten games. He didn't win a SINGLE border battle or trophy game. He ows ME for the money I wasted on season tickets during his time at the University of Minnesota. You know, I would gladly call that brewster clown a failed experiment to his face IF I could also be guaranteed a chance to say it to badger joel macturi's face as well. bjm and prexy b forced that brewster clown on us poor, suffering long-time Gopher Football Season Ticket Holders.

I'd say your parents should teach you to look at reality a little more closely. A head coach is hired to coach a football team. He is hired to provide a stable and experienced coaching staff for his players. That brewster clown had 6 coordinators in 3 1/2 seasons. His coaching staff changed so often, the poor players never really got a chance to know who their coaches were. His players and we season ticket holders should have sued that brewster and the admnistration at the U of M for "non-support..."

He changed offenses more frequently than he changed clothes.

You can NOT put lipstick on that failed, fired and bought out brewster mess.

But: I totally blame badger joel macturi for the failed brewball experiment. I never want to hear the sound of brewster's voice or any hype or spin he might put on anything related to Gopher Football. He has done much more than enough damage to the Gopher Football Progam already.

Have a nice day laXgoph...have a very nice day. ; 0 )

I think you proved my point. It doesn't bother me that you aren't a nice guy or that you have decided that friend free is the way to be, what bothers me is that as someone who cares about the program you can't accept that some one poured their heart into the program and failed. He failed, does that make him a bad person? Does that mean that you can feel free to be a total jack when talking about him? I guess you can if it makes you feel better, but then it's ok cuz maybe your hatred propping you up and it would be sad to see what happens when the prop is gone. But all I am saying is the guy tried and even though he failed he deserves some respect. I just think that the costume of anonymity has allowed you to spout off without consequence and I think it is a shame.

Recap of Brewster:

- Believed in 5th year he'd have a team that could compete week in and week out
- Believes in all his heart that the University of Minnesota is a great football job
- Believes Kill is trying to lower expectations, but that is a good thing for him to do
- Says Monte Kiffin was impressed with the talent the Gophers had on the field Saturday
- Lots of talented players on the team, mentions his OL recruits (Olson bros, Gjere as having All American potential)
- Goes in-depth on why he chose to look at things glass half full- Really hope some Gopher fans listen to this as I never got why so many people were offended by his positivity.

- All goes back to whether or not you can win up front and thinks potential to be good in the future is due to those lineman
- The interviewer asks another question about being bragadocious and going against Minnesota culture- Brewster says he has not regrets about the positive energy and belief in the program that he brought to the program.

- Asks about relationship with the media- Being removed as football coach at Minnesota hurt more than anything in his life. Could not articulate it and felt like he needed to take a step back. As far as the media in Minnesota is concerned, there not the most positive people in the world... I was paid to coach, they were paid to write

-Surprised he was fired, had not had conversations with upper level people at the University of Minnesota. Had 11 new starters on defense, had talked about having patience with this team. Talks about team winning last two games of the year and what that shows for what those kids could accomplish in the future.

- Interviewer asks again what is a reasonable win expectation for the Gophers this year- Brewster won't give a number, just thinks the future is bright. Tough minded and talented group of men, see how the schedule plays out in terms of W's and L's.

- Asks about Adam Weber and whether he should of started Gray looking to the future- Neither Brewster not the interviewer were aware that Weber is currently on Broncos practice squad. Brewster felt Weber gave the Gophers the best chance to win.

- Interviewers says Minnesota not committed to football, thinks Maturi committed to 25 sports- Brewsters response is that the engine that drives the sports program is football and football needs to be catered to exactly that way. Football, Basketball, and Hockey drive the car and need to be catered to in his opinion.

- Asks for example for what he needed at Minnesota that he didn't get, but would have gotten at Texas- Brewster wouldn't go down that road. Praises the new president at Minnesota. It comes down to leadership, making the right deciscions and support.

-Interviewer asks about reported problems with Maturi- Brewster says that anyone who works together on a day to day basis is going to have disagreements, downplayed issues between them.

One personal comment: the interviewer, Scott, is the type of guy that makes it so difficult to win. Total defeatist attitude, the exact type of guy who just loves to hear the Gophers don't have a chance and would be thrilled as heck with a 6-6 season. Just listenting to the way he phrased several questions had me cringing in embarassment as a Gopher fan.

One personal comment: the interviewer, Scott, is the type of guy that makes it so difficult to win. Total defeatist attitude, the exact type of guy who just loves to hear the Gophers don't have a chance and would be thrilled as heck with a 6-6 season. Just listenting to the way he phrased several questions had me cringing in embarassment as a Gopher fan.
Good notes from the interview but I have to disagree with you completely on manner of the interviewer (Scott Korzenowski), as I thought his questions were well thought out, thorough and were serious and deep enough to get Brewster to reflect on his time here. When the interview finished I believed that Scott's questioning was such that nearly everything I wanted to Brewster to speak on was discussed. I did a quick google search on Korzenowski and it appears as though he is a lawyer ft and does the radio thing on the side and I think being disconnected from the mainstream media helped him get in the fans mindset. Overall, a really good 15-20 minutes with Brewster.

Good interview to finally hear.

Brewster really seemed hurt, I can imagine he was not in a good place in the weeks and possibly months that followed his removal.

Alot of Brewsterisms, but a few things struck me.

I got the feeling Bruininks might have had more to do with his removal than Maturi, Brewster went out of his way a few times to address the new president being there as a positive thing.

You could hear his voice change when he talked about caring for the kids he recruited deeply, it seemed very genuine, almost parental.

He took the high road with every answer, no red meat for the interviewer, even addressing the media in the TC as " not the most positive", but also saying that he was ok with that. Very supportive of the U, the program, and Kill.

The 5th year thing probably means he understood his misstep in not recruiting linemen right away, loading up on them in classes from 2010 and 2011 would help in a 5th year going forward, Kill can now reap that, nobody seems to deny there's a young and deep pool of talent up front right now.

Best of luck to Coach Brewster, I had some very positive interactions with him personally, hopefully he learned from his mistakes here and become a good coach somewhere else. I feel he'd be a good fit for a smaller program in the SW maybe a WAC or FCS program, he could obviously recruit some big names, if you land 1 or 2 of hose types at an FCS program you can win alot of games.

Now let's get the Kill era kicked off tommorow with a huge W!

I thought it was a quality interview honestly. To me, it's clear he agrees the U wasn't doing everything it could to support the football program, and I really can't see how anyone could argue that it has. I do think Kaler is going to bring about a little change there, along with Kill emphasizing some aspects (like the student involvement) that he feels would get this program the support it needs.

He may have been a horrible coach to some, but as a former coach of our favorite team, it is good to get some insight from him.

Hell, if he said he hated Maturi and the Administration was responsible for all his problems there'd be a clamor to bring him back..:cool:

Thank You

Hell, if he said he hated Maturi and the Administration was responsible for all his problems there'd be a clamor to bring him back..:cool:

You made my morning! Ah, the insanity of a football blog.

Finally had some time to listen to the interview. I agree with others that Brewster gave a classy interview. It was interesting. He didn't provide anything earth shattering, but was gracious.
I may be in a small minority, but I actually liked Brewster more near the end of his tenure. I think he toned down his bravado, and was starting to "get it". But, as someone wrote, he had prepared for a BCS head coach job for a long time. Even so, he was not prepared for the challenge, at least not at Minnesota.
Brewster tried his best. It didn't work. Losing to a our neighboring states who are to our immediate west certainly shouldn't happen, but if you ask me, Brewster had no idea what he was getting into, and Maturi is mainly responsible for hoping it would work.
And, most importantly, the UNDER pays. Tremendous was spoken early, but I think that was it.

Top Bottom