Brewster says Weber is U's No. 1 QB

The point is a good QB should have 14 wins in a season and a half, not 14 wins in 3 years. Weber's record is terrible. If Weber wins 6 games this year, he will have 20 wins which amounts to 5 wins a season and that sucks.

Its a fair point. But it also ignores the fact that football is a team sport. The only person who can be judged solely on wins and losses is the head coach. The buck doesn't stop with Weber. It stops with Brew.

What Brewster should really do if he wants to save his job is go to Maturi and say that Weber's not the guy. The team is in rebuilding mode. Have to think long-term for the good of the program. For that, we need to see what Gray can do. But it will be a rough season probably, so give me some assurances that if I go with the youngster and we struggle, I still get to keep my job.

Or he could try to win seven games with Weber at QB against this schedule.

Neither scenario looks all that promising for Coach Brew.

It's an interesting idea. But in the world of college athletics do you really think Maturi can give those assurances? What would happen if we only won a single game again and word of the deal leaked (and lets face it, it would leak)?

Your last sentence sums it up. Brew is betting the house on Weber and it is what it is.

It's an interesting idea. But in the world of college athletics do you really think Maturi can give those assurances? What would happen if we only won a single game again and word of the deal leaked (and lets face it, it would leak)?

Your last sentence sums it up. Brew is betting the house on Weber and it is what it is.

No, I don't think he could get a guarantee from Maturi. But if he at least included him in the decision, so to speak, and got support from him, that could help. Obviously I'm not suggesting a binding contract-type deal or anything.

It's going to be a very interesting early part of the season. Do we beat a talented Middle Tennessee team on the road in what will be the first game for the O coordinator and lots of new faces in the lineup? Can they steamroll South Dakota? Can they play a competitive game against USC at home? Can they beat a Northern Illinois team at home in a game they "should" win?

I think the answers to those questions will give a pretty clear indication early on of what direction the program is headed. There's either going to be a lot of enthusiasm about a young team heading into the Big 10 season, or Brewster's going to be Dead Man Walking.

The one thing that is interesting is that now 3 offensive Coordinators and 2 Head Coach's think that Weber is Big Ten QB material.

The one thing that is interesting is that now 3 offensive Coordinators and 2 Head Coach's think that Weber is Big Ten QB material.

And are any of those guys going to be here when Weber's four years are up?

AND everyone that voted him 2nd Team All Big Ten.

Adam can always be benched a few games into the season if he does terrible. Starting Gray or Moses was never really an option. You CANNOT bench a 3 time captain to start the season. A captain is a leader on and off the field. If he severely underpreforms then he can be benched and the team will understand. Im gonna go out on the limb and say alot of the guys in the locker room either look up to Weber (freshman/soph) or look at him as a leader. He has potential to be a good quarterback. You people saying he cant be anything special is just dumb. Hes already a decent QB and just needs to work on a few mechanics. So he threw a few to INTs last year. The playbook was super complex for these guys. They dumbed it down alittle this year. It wouldve happened to Gray also. He will suprise you guys this year.

That's as much a statement on the overall level of QB play in the BT over the past couple of seasons as much as it is a reward for Weber's accomplishments. Other than Pryor, what QB in the BT has NFL potential? And even Pryor could well wind up as a slash/wildcat type player, or converted to a wideout or D-back.

There was an article posted on this board ranking the BT QB's going into the 2010 season. The fact that Weber came up #3 means that there are some teams who are really on thin ice QB-wise. Granted, in some cases its an untried underclassman who's going to be under center. But some of those unknowns have more upside (e.g. the shoelaces kid on michigan, or Forcier for that matter) than anyone on our roster.

If Weber would have played as well as he did two years ago (which was solid, not great), we would have won at least two more games this past year (Wisconsin and Iowa). But, he played worse, yet kept playing.

And with regards to the three-year captain deal, when has someone been named captain early on a college football team and then not been named captain going forward (i.e. demoted)? Unless someone who was convicted, suspended, or otherwise, I can't think of a situation where that has taken place - especially not a QB.

Weber was named captain as a redshirt sophomore because he worked hard, played hard, and the hope was that he was going to develop further and lead the team to victories. The fact of the matter is he hasn't.

Usually, one of the qualities of a leader is someone that makes his teammates better and wins - Weber did not do that last year, and judging by the body language of the receivers fielding some of those one-hoppers, I'm not sure how much they still view him as a leader (I know, they deserve their share of blame as well), whether he is a captain or not.

Again, I hope he does well and we win a ton of ballgames. If he doesn't, then he shouldn't be the starter - he will have had his opportunity and shouldn't be owed anything more at this point.

Lets go to the stats. Last year he threw for 13 TD and 15 interceptions. His only game where he exceeded 55% completions was against MSU. 62%. His average completion yardage is less than 10 yards.

Disect it as you may if this is the choice, then Horton better find a way to run it 55 times a game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188157

Not to nit-pick but he did complete 69% of his passes against Air Force, 65.6% against Cal, 57.7% against Northwestern, and 55.6% against purdue. Thats five games over 55%. What shocked me is that he went from being sacked 13 times his freshman year to 38 times last year. He really didn't have a whole lot of help.

That's as much a statement on the overall level of QB play in the BT over the past couple of seasons as much as it is a reward for Weber's accomplishments. Other than Pryor, what QB in the BT has NFL potential? And even Pryor could well wind up as a slash/wildcat type player, or converted to a wideout or D-back.

There was an article posted on this board ranking the BT QB's going into the 2010 season. The fact that Weber came up #3 means that there are some teams who are really on thin ice QB-wise. Granted, in some cases its an untried underclassman who's going to be under center. But some of those unknowns have more upside (e.g. the shoelaces kid on michigan, or Forcier for that matter) than anyone on our roster.

It wasn't that Weber really was third alone, Minnesota was third given the percieved strength of our backups Gray and Alipate.

Not to nit-pick but he did complete 69% of his passes against Air Force, 65.6% against Cal, 57.7% against Northwestern, and 55.6% against purdue. Thats five games over 55%. What shocked me is that he went from being sacked 13 times his freshman year to 38 times last year. He really didn't have a whole lot of help.

I'd be one of the last guys to defend the play of the offensive line last year, but A LOT of those sacks last year are 100 percent on Weber.

I'd be one of the last guys to defend the play of the offensive line last year, but A LOT of those sacks last year are 100 percent on Weber.

This is not where the rabbit hole begins nor does it end. However if Weber threw the ball away more often then trying to create a play out of nothing, then the Weber Myth Engineers(tm) would be pulling out his completion numbers without citing that he threw the ball away.

The offense as a whole sucked from the qb to the o-line play to establishing a running game to running quality routes. In general all the same people who sucked last year will be getting significant playing time at MTSU just like weber. For some reason people are really hung up on one person.

This is not where the rabbit hole begins nor does it end. However if Weber threw the ball away more often then trying to create a play out of nothing, then the Weber Myth Engineers(tm) would be pulling out his completion numbers without citing that he threw the ball away.

The offense as a whole sucked from the qb to the o-line play to establishing a running game to running quality routes. In general all the same people who sucked last year will be getting significant playing time at MTSU just like weber. For some reason people are really hung up on one person.

I agree. But that's the nature of the position. Too much credit, too much blame.

The point is a good QB should have 14 wins in a season and a half, not 14 wins in 3 years. Weber's record is terrible. If Weber wins 6 games this year, he will have 20 wins which amounts to 5 wins a season and that sucks.

You could just as easily say.... "The point is Weber has 13 wins, back to back bowl games, a 2nd team all-big10 honor in the past two seasons and should have had 14 except the unprepared M Gray fumbled on the final drive in the Insight Bowl and cost Weber the win."

No one waves that 1-11, 2007 year around unless they're trying to skew the numbers and crap on Brew/Weber.

I predict

Mr. Weber is top three in the big ten for passing yards, completions and TD's. Predict Gray will be right up there with him...as a reciever, runner.

You could just as easily say.... "The point is Weber has 13 wins, back to back bowl games, a 2nd team all-big10 honor in the past two seasons and should have had 14 except the unprepared M Gray fumbled on the final drive in the Insight Bowl and cost Weber the win."

No one waves that 1-11, 2007 year around unless they're trying to skew the numbers and crap on Brew/Weber.

Who is waving around the 2007 year to skew numbers? Weber's W-L record is what it is.

If Weber would have played as well as he did two years ago (which was solid, not great), we would have won at least two more games this past year (Wisconsin and Iowa). But, he played worse, yet kept playing.

And with regards to the three-year captain deal, when has someone been named captain early on a college football team and then not been named captain going forward (i.e. demoted)? Unless someone who was convicted, suspended, or otherwise, I can't think of a situation where that has taken place - especially not a QB.

Weber was named captain as a redshirt sophomore because he worked hard, played hard, and the hope was that he was going to develop further and lead the team to victories. The fact of the matter is he hasn't.

Usually, one of the qualities of a leader is someone that makes his teammates better and wins - Weber did not do that last year, and judging by the body language of the receivers fielding some of those one-hoppers, I'm not sure how much they still view him as a leader (I know, they deserve their share of blame as well), whether he is a captain or not.

Again, I hope he does well and we win a ton of ballgames. If he doesn't, then he shouldn't be the starter - he will have had his opportunity and shouldn't be owed anything more at this point.

That is the biggest problem I have with Weber still starting. It was obvious the receivers have zero confidence in Weber and you could see their frustrations plain as day during games. You can't play a QB that receivers have given up on. how do you think McKnight and Stoudermire feel going into the season knowing balls thrown their way will be uncatchable most of the time unless they make outstanding plays to combat the poor throws

It was obvious the receivers have zero confidence in Weber and you could see their frustrations plain as day during games.
It was? You could? What about our last wide receiver's coach who was shown the door? No, definitely Weber's fault.

Weber is U's

Why would Brewster play a Mason recruit over his star recruit? Let's analyze this!

I can't believe we are still putting this guy at QB. If he gave us the chance to win, he would of done it last year. I was always a brewster guy, but it seems he's not consistant with his philosophy. How the hell did we recruit a guy(Gray) to play the spread and then a year later revert back to a running team. Makes no sense to me.

The obvious answer to your question is that Gray must not ever have shown the athletic playmaking brilliance a lot of us assumed, and the coaches hoped, he would bring with him. Or the athleticism is there but not the grasp of the college game. Now, I've said this many times on here before and am sticking with it: Weber being #1 at the start of the year has always been the most likely scenario. The difference between this year and last year is that as a senior he should have a much shorter leash. There is not reason to keep him on the field if his performance is a big negative. If it's a positive, then as Gopher fans we all ought to be happy.

At some point these players (specifically Gray) have to make the adjustment and look like they're able to play B10 football on an every snap basis. Otherwise, the coaches are left with little choice than falling back on three-year starters if they're available.

It was? You could? What about our last wide receiver's coach who was shown the door? No, definitely Weber's fault.

If you did not see the frustrations then you were not watching the games or your seats were not that good.

If you did not see the frustrations then you were not watching the games or your seats were not that good.

I follow the Gophers closer than 99% of the people here and I haven't heard one single player suggest Gray is a better option than Weber, have you? No, you haven't.

How does one quantify this, exactly? Do you have a spreadsheet with sophisticated formulations tucked away somewhere? Please show us your work.

It is a pretty bold statement. I follow the gophs more closely than anyone I know, but there are people on here who definately follow them closer than I do.

Who is waving around the 2007 year to skew numbers? Weber's W-L record is what it is.

No one who knows anything judges Brew/Weber on that season, which was essentially a Mulligan. Not other coaches, not the AD, not the President, not knowledgeable fans. Only people who's goal is to paint the coach, the QB and the team in bad light.

Why not point out that Weber is tough as nails, a great leader, 2nd team all Big10, led the team to back-to-back bowl games, 13 wins the past two years against one of the toughest schedules in college football, is the heart and soul of the team and did it all while adjusting to new coordinators?

I know why not, because you want to try and convince people that you know more than the coaching staff. Weber is the starter, now get behind your team.

You read this board frequently, do you disagree?

I'm not necessarily saying I disagree, I'm just saying that's impossible to quantify. And how do you even define "following the team closely"? Also, I'm not following around every single person who posts on this board and evaluating their fanhood, so I'm in no position to judge. It just smacks of someone trying to boost their own credentials by making a claim that cannot be proved or disproved. If you have some insider status (sportsfan24, FormerGopher58), then that helps to validate your claim. Since you clearly work in the sports gambling industry, I highly doubt that is the case.

because he can't develop offensive talent. And if you disagree with that show me one example that proves me wrong.

I'm pretty sure Eric Decker played most of his career at MN under Brew and was developed under Brewster.

Top Bottom