Brewster on TCF Nickname Debate

Hopefully the Joe Schmo might figure it out when the announcers say the location of the game (be it TCF, Minneapolis, etc) for the 700th time. Or it might be the big block M on the field. Or the Minnesota in the end zone. Etc. Etc. If there is anyone who thinks our entire stadium in Minnesota is full of Michigan fans...well, I don't know what to say to that kind of stupid.

Obviously, the whole point of these stupid _____-out games is to affect how fans of other programs think of us. If that is the point, the only thing that matters is their perception. If you took a survey of fans from across the country (even hardcore sports fans that know things like Jerry Rice's YAC from 1993), I guarantee you a very small number would even know what Minnesota's colors are. Conversely, a large majority of the same population would know Michigan's colors. This comes from having done anything of consequence in the last 40 years. So if you're not sitting at home, glued to the television and paying attention to all the intricacies of the broadcast (i.e., watching at a sports bar with the volume turned off, flipping between channels, watching at a friend's house, etc.), and as I already mentioned, you don't even know what Minnesota's colors are, you're going to associate the yellow in the crowd with Michigan, and think to yourself, "Wow, they sure got a lot of fans to travel to this game." This program is inconsequential on a national scale. Ergo, the whole _____-out idea is stupid.

And if the point is something other than increasing our standing in the sports community as a whole, then what is it? So we can slap each other on the backs for bowing to the marketing gods? Is our wearing gold going to lead to an improved turnover margin? More yards per carry? Are we going to win more games because all the fans decided to wear gold?

It doesn't have to be one or the other overall. I know some folks would argue it should be gold to every game. I understand that but disagree. When I read your posts it seems like you're trying to say that everyone is arguing this. I disagree...I think most of us are in favor of making it one color (gold) for a single game each season. Why is that such a travesty?

If it's going to just be one game per year, then fine. And even at that, don't you dare come up to me and make some smart-ass remark about my wearing maroon (which happened to me multiple times this last season.)

Wow... What a get-a-long guy you are...

Obviously, the whole point of these stupid _____-out games is to affect how fans of other programs think of us. If that is the point, the only thing that matters is their perception. If you took a survey of fans from across the country (even hardcore sports fans that know things like Jerry Rice's YAC from 1993), I guarantee you a very small number would even know what Minnesota's colors are. Conversely, a large majority of the same population would know Michigan's colors. This comes from having done anything of consequence in the last 40 years. So if you're not sitting at home, glued to the television and paying attention to all the intricacies of the broadcast (i.e., watching at a sports bar with the volume turned off, flipping between channels, watching at a friend's house, etc.), and as I already mentioned, you don't even know what Minnesota's colors are, you're going to associate the yellow in the crowd with Michigan, and think to yourself, "Wow, they sure got a lot of fans to travel to this game." This program is inconsequential on a national scale. Ergo, the whole _____-out idea is stupid.

And if the point is something other than increasing our standing in the sports community as a whole, then what is it? So we can slap each other on the backs for bowing to the marketing gods? Is our wearing gold going to lead to an improved turnover margin? More yards per carry? Are we going to win more games because all the fans decided to wear gold?

If it's going to just be one game per year, then fine. And even at that, don't you dare come up to me and make some smart-ass remark about my wearing maroon (which happened to me multiple times this last season.)

I bet you don't do the wave either...

I just want someone to give me a good explanation to what the point is. Then I'm all in.

Oh, and since we seem to have gotten off topic, I think "The Bank" is as good as anything else.

I need a break from work so I’ll waste my time. :) Here goes…
Obviously, the whole point of these stupid _____-out games is to affect how fans of other programs think of us. If that is the point, the only thing that matters is their perception. If you took a survey of fans from across the country (even hardcore sports fans that know things like Jerry Rice's YAC from 1993), I guarantee you a very small number would even know what Minnesota's colors are. Conversely, a large majority of the same population would know Michigan's colors. This comes from having done anything of consequence in the last 40 years.

I’d agree that Minnesota’s colors probably aren’t super well known by all sports fans across the US. But I would bet that they are pretty well known in B10 country and the Midwest…which oddly enough, is where the majority of fans in the US that see Gopher games probably reside. Why? Because Gopher games are broadcast on BTN or on ESPN/ABC (who show multiple games per timeslot and only broadcasts each game regionally). So I think overall your concern here is overblown. Fans in CA, NY, FL who don't know our colors aren't going to be seeing our games. If they are, it is b/c they tuned in at home or wandered into a "Gopher bar".

So if you're not sitting at home, glued to the television and paying attention to all the intricacies of the broadcast (i.e., watching at a sports bar with the volume turned off, flipping between channels, watching at a friend's house, etc.), and as I already mentioned, you don't even know what Minnesota's colors are, you're going to associate the yellow in the crowd with Michigan, and think to yourself, "Wow, they sure got a lot of fans to travel to this game." This program is inconsequential on a national scale. Ergo, the whole _____-out idea is stupid.
No, that person is stupid. There really isn’t a middle ground for something this simple. If someone is paying so little attention that they don’t know the game is in MN they’ll assume the yellow is Michigan and that the game is at The Big House. This person is not worth our time b/c they don’t have any clue of what’s going on around them.

If they paid just enough attention to know the game is in MN and can’t tell the difference between our gold colors and Michigan’s maize, then they’ll think one of 2 things: a) that the MN fans look awesome as a solid mass of gold , b) “Michigan has a ton of fans at an away game…in fact, they have the whole stadium. Wow!” Person A is oblivious but in a way that helps us. Person B is an idiot or knows nothing about sports.

And as I said before, there will be plenty of people who can tell the difference between the 2 colors. However, to do that you have to be paying attention and your lame attempt to support your point excludes these people.

I think it is a) to single out a game as important and build buzz and b) to make the crowd look good on TV. I don’t remember anyone arguing a Solid Gold game would increase our standing in the sports community. I’m sorry, PSU owns this franchise from the standpoint of “coolness” or increased standing. We’re just going to look better on TV. If you want to consider it bowing to the marketing gods that’s your prerogative. But if this is why you are making a stink then I think you’re blowing things out of proportion.

Its pretty simple. These people are jacka**es. Try that trick you learned in 2nd grade and ignore them. I know I thought to myself “why won’t some of these people wear gold” when I was at the Michigan game, but I’m not a jacka** so I kept it to myself. If this is the reason behind your crusade against the “wear gold” concept you need to chill.

I just want someone to give me a good explanation to what the point is. Then I'm all in.

Oh, and since we seem to have gotten off topic, I think "The Bank" is as good as anything else.

Seriously? You see NO value whatsoever? Like I said earlier, the number one thing I see is recruiting. We have seen a lot of recruits list the new uniforms as something they really like. Or how the stadium looks, or the big scoreboard. Many of them like nice, shiny things. They also like the idea that a fanbase is coordinated and devoted enough to pull of this type of thing. If a 100% gold-out were to be the deciding factor for one 4* recruit over the course of 3 years I would still say it was worth it.

As far as more first downs, points, etc. No, obviously it can't ever be a direct factor. But neither can tailgating, scoreboard size, attendance, or otherwise, but we discuss them anyway and all that stuff factors in to the media's perception of gameday at a college. don't forget it can actually be imposing to walk on to a field where every seat in the house is one bright color.

You are already being enough of a sheep to wear MN colors to the game (you could make the argument "why should I wear maroon or gold at all???"... why not just wear one of the 2 school colors when asked?

And you are right, people that come up to you to tell you you aren't wearing gold are jerks. It's too late to change anything, and you are obviously at the game wearing school colors, which is more than we can say for MANY other people in this state.

We can avoid this "which color should you wear" debate with a new rule: you have to wear the color of your seat.

If your seat is maroon, wear maroon.
If your seat is gold, wear gold.
If you have a bench seat...wear silver or gray?

Top Bottom