Brewster fires back: "This is the same group of kids that beat Illinois and Iowa"

hmmmm.......last time i checked it was jeff horton coaching our gophers in victories over iowa and illinois last season. but you keep right on keeping on brewster. probably would have been best for him to just keep his mouth shut here.

And Northern Illinois POUNDED us!

I wasn't at the game but 34-23 (20-16 at the end of the third) with the Gophers outgaining NIU by 100 yards and leading in time of Possession 37 minutes to 23 isn't really a pounding. It was just another bad loss in a bad season.

Last week was a pounding.

I wasn't at the game but 34-23 (20-16 at the end of the third) with the Gophers outgaining NIU by 100 yards and leading in time of Possession 37 minutes to 23 isn't really a pounding. It was just another bad loss in a bad season.

Last week was a pounding.

Exactly. I was, and the score is way closer than that game actually was. You want to look at stats from the game? Here are some others to look at: 297 rushing yards to 97. UNI had four scoring drives that took less than three minutes, only one of which was less than 67 yards long (they also recovered a fumble on the UMN 11 yard line and scored three plays later).

NIU lines dominated on both sides of the ball. Last week was both a debacle and a pounding; the NIU game last year was a pounding.

First, Strange Brew didn't coach them against Iowa or Illinios so he is stupid to point this out. As others have pointed out, a very different (much younger) team. More importantly, who cares what that knucklehead thinks. What does bother me is that the idiot who hired Strange Brew is still working for the U.

Brewster needs to swallow it when the questions come up. I was no Mason fan but he showed a lot of class in a difficult situation after he was canned. As we all know, there were a number of times he could have been all over Brewster, but I can't recall a single straightforward rip when it would have been easy to come forward with one.

The closest I've seen him come is 'Re-tweeting' things others say on Twitter.

I agree with Brewster on this one

Total BS that this team doesn't have the talent to win.

I just thought the game day preparation and execution under Horton was the best I had seen at the U for a while. I thought he did a better job than Mason ever did. It was night a day after he took over last year. Whether that would have carried over is hard to tell.

The o-line is bad with no depth, that might be hard for anyone to deal with.

hmmmm.......last time i checked it was jeff horton coaching our gophers in victories over iowa and illinois last season. but you keep right on keeping on brewster. probably would have been best for him to just keep his mouth shut here.

That's precisely the point though. The way I took it wasn't to say that "hey, i'm Tim Brewster and I did a good job". He pointed at games where Jeff Horton beat Iowa and Illinois with a similar squad that was humiliated 58-0 this past weekend. I get that everyone hates Brew for good reason, but I think it's clouding people's judgements a tiny a bit about the point he is making. We can go back and forth as to what were Brew's motivations for coming to his recruits defense, but it doesn't really matter. There is an underlying truth in what he had to say.

Jeff Horton was able to get this team, with this level of talent (similar) to play hard and smart and when against Illinois and Iowa.

Jerry Kill lost to NMSU, NDSU and lost 58-0 with this team.

That is an important point, regardless of where the point comes from.

Like I said, i'm not blaming Kill or calling for his head or anything. But the fact remains (to me at least) that Horton got considerably more out of a similar amount of talent.

I've defended Kill on here and I realize that this first year could be part of a process similar to Ferentz and Alvarez (hopefully), nonetheless, the point about a similar team beating Illinois and Iowa is worth noting.

That's precisely the point though. The way I took it wasn't to say that "hey, i'm Tim Brewster and I did a good job". He pointed at games where Jeff Horton beat Iowa and Illinois with a similar squad that was humiliated 58-0 this past weekend. I get that everyone hates Brew for good reason, but I think it's clouding people's judgements a tiny a bit about the point he is making. We can go back and forth as to what were Brew's motivations for coming to his recruits defense, but it doesn't really matter. There is an underlying truth in what he had to say.

Jeff Horton was able to get this team, with this level of talent (similar) to play hard and smart and when against Illinois and Iowa.

Jerry Kill lost to NMSU, NDSU and lost 58-0 with this team.

That is an important point, regardless of where the point comes from.

Like I said, i'm not blaming Kill or calling for his head or anything. But the fact remains (to me at least) that Horton got considerably more out of a similar amount of talent.

I've defended Kill on here and I realize that this first year could be part of a process similar to Ferentz and Alvarez (hopefully), nonetheless, the point about a similar team beating Illinois and Iowa is worth noting.

I'm truly baffled that people think the team that was out there against Michigan was in any way similar to the team that was out there last year.

Minnesota had Weber, Gray, Stoudermire, Carufel, Wills, Euree, Theret, Collado, Eskridge, Edwards, Hoese, Alford in those two games. (not implying they are elite players, they are players with a TON of experience).

What did Kill say on Tuesday...there were 7-8 freshmen playing at the same time on offense at times?

Against Illinois: Weber 20-36, 2 Tds, 0 INT, 6.2 ypc; Eskridge 3 TDs, Stoudermire 90 yard KO and INT, Euree TD, Edwards Sack

Against Iowa: Weber 0 INT, Eskridge 95 yds and TD, Stoudermire 2 forced fumbles 1 recovery, Collado fumble recovery, Edwards Sack, Gray TD

I truly have to be missing something.

Well, we don't have Mr. Weber to kick around this season. It seems as though Horton wanted to have Mr. Weber out there leading his squad against iowa and Illinois. That team also didn't fare so well against the 3 "SU's..." OSU, PSU and MSU under Coach Horton. (I thought Coach Horton did a GREAT job taking over mid-season, by the way.) But, that squad graduated and lost a lot of experienced players before this season started. You can't lose that much experience at some key positions and not feel it the next season. Let's not forget their losses to wisky, Purdue and NU by coach brewster earlier in the 2010 season as well.

I would say the 2011 Michigan squad will make some noise this season. And, there are still 7 Big Ten games left to play. Abandon the Gophers for dead for this season at your own risk. You never know what might happen in a couple of these games. I won't totally give up on 2011 yet! It will be a very tough season...but...a Big Ten win could mean a GREAT DEAL and I do hope very much that the Gophers can find a way to register a W in Big Ten play in 2011.

I liked Jeff Horton. I thought he came across as a smart, good guy. Perhaps he was a victim of circumstance, but I'm sorry - there was no way he, or anyone else associated with the previous staff, could have been brought back. What if he would have wanted to keep guys from the previous staff? I doubt he, seemingly being a pretty loyal guy, would have wanted to clean house. Yet, all of those other guys were accountable for the recruiting and performance of this team over the last few years: Lee, Cross, Cosgrove, even Butler (who seemed to get the most out of his guys, even though I've heard he was not well-liked).

Sorry, no way - Horton seems like a good guy, and is probably a good coach in the right circumstance, but not even he could have been brought back.

I still remember his interview after the Illinois game - "great kids, great coaches(?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)..." What?

Also, checking box scores from Iowa last year vs. Michigan this year. Of the 57 guys that played against the Wolverines, 30 didn't play against Iowa last year. My math could be wrong cuz I thought Keise played against Iowa.

On offense, two starters from the Iowa game started in the Michigan game (Lair didn't start either game)

On defense, four starters from the Iowa game started in the Michigan game (Jacobs, Kirksey Tinsley, Rallis)

As always the truth is somewhere in the middle and Brewster is not going to win a PR game due to the relationship he had with the press in Minnesota. This is probably good for Kill as it will give him increased support from those that simply hate all things Brewster.

Please tell us what you liked so much about Brewster, I'd be interested to know.

For the record, I had no problem with his talk of Rose Bowls, only the fact that he couldn't back it up.

Who?

Who gives a rats arse what he thinks? Go coach junior high.

Does Brewster really want to go there? There are only 3 starters from the Iowa game on offense (McKnight, Lair, Bunders), so I'd hardly call it the same team.

Duane Bennett?

Much to do about nothing. Brewster was just sticking up for his players like he always had. IIRC Mason did the same thing when challenged about academic progress and the incidents that happened after he was fired.

The question(s) that should be asked is/ are what beyond coaching can be done to facilitate a turnaround. Blaming Mason, Brewster, and Kill does nothing. It is obviously more than JUST coaching.

Playing the blame game just placates the masses.

I still remember his interview after the Illinois game - "great kids, great coaches(?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)..." What?

C'mon Man!!!

Don't rip a guy trying to lobby on national TV for his next coaching gig! He knew he wasn't going to be hired back here at the end of the year. In taking on the head coaching duties and beating two bowl-winning teams in back-to-back weeks I think the man earned one simple sentence of self-promotion.

In-state OL recruits, 2008:

Joe Schafer - 6 BCS offers, including MN; signed with WI, washed out of football within 2 years

Roszell Gayden - Committed to MN, academically ineligible, played at Auburn after going JuCo, now attending Winona St. and not playing football

Tim Sauer - Signed with NIU, no I-A offers

Brewster should've signed 1-2 OL in the 2008 class, but some alleged in-state indifference had nothing to do with it.

Hate to be picky, but Schaefer played football last year at St. Thomas.

Also, checking box scores from Iowa last year vs. Michigan this year. Of the 57 guys that played against the Wolverines, 30 didn't play against Iowa last year. My math could be wrong cuz I thought Keise played against Iowa.

On offense, two starters from the Iowa game started in the Michigan game (Lair didn't start either game)

On defense, four starters from the Iowa game started in the Michigan game (Jacobs, Kirksey Tinsley, Rallis)

No offense, but I sort of think you are cherry picking data to try to prove your point and I think it would be valid if the Michigan was a lone example.

So, lets look at the returning starters (they might not start now, but they started last year and RETURNED) from Illinois and the NDSU game.

Gray (we can count him as a 1/2 a returning starter)
Bunders
Orton
Wynn
McKnight
Lair
Olson was hurt, but would have been the starter (assuming he is better than he is backup, safe up right?)

Defense:
3/4 of our DL (everyone who played but Edwards, also add Hageman who was suspended)
All our LBs (I think our entire 2-deeps)
And 2/4 DBs (including almost all our depth)

There aren't many defenses in the country who return more people than ours. To move players around because they might not start now doesn't mean that they aren't returning starters.

We also return Bennett who I would have a hard time believing most people would argue is considerably different than Eskridge.

I just read the full Marcus Fuller article, these things may be true but you don't air them in the public. This guy Kill is a no class Yo Yo. I'll take Brewster any day, if those are the things that need to be done do them, but keep your eff'ing mouth shut and don't spout off to the press.

While I understand he is in a tough position and doesn't have a team of "his guys", I can't say I am a fan of how Jerry repeatedly seems to throw his players under the bus (even if he has some legitimate issues). The psyche of these players and this program was pretty brittle when he came in and the tear down to build up approach seems to be backfiring. It may be the only way he knows how to coach and hopefully it will work better once he has a system in place with his recruits.

He needs to have time to turn this thing around but if the effort against Purdue (another terrible team with no talent and coach that will probably be fired at the end of the year) is similar to what I saw in person in Ann Arbor, Jerry should stop bad-mouthing his players and start re-evaluating his coaching strategy for this particular group of young men

No question this is the Gophers' best (and probably only) chance for a win the rest of the season. Danny Hope is not an impresive dude. He's appeared in over his head since the get-go. This is one the Gophers can get. If the TerBush/Marve combo has a field day vs. the Gophers, we'll really know just how bad the Gopher D is.

Much to do about nothing. Brewster was just sticking up for his players like he always had. IIRC Mason did the same thing when challenged about academic progress and the incidents that happened after he was fired.

The question(s) that should be asked is/ are what beyond coaching can be done to facilitate a turnaround. Blaming Mason, Brewster, and Kill does nothing. It is obviously more than JUST coaching.

Playing the blame game just placates the masses.

Agree!

I just read the full Marcus Fuller article, these things may be true but you don't air them in the public. This guy Kill is a no class Yo Yo. I'll take Brewster any day, if those are the things that need to be done do them, but keep your eff'ing mouth shut and don't spout off to the press.

9734856.jpg

While I understand he is in a tough position and doesn't have a team of "his guys", I can't say I am a fan of how Jerry repeatedly seems to throw his players under the bus (even if he has some legitimate issues). The psyche of these players and this program was pretty brittle when he came in and the tear down to build up approach seems to be backfiring. It may be the only way he knows how to coach and hopefully it will work better once he has a system in place with his recruits.

He needs to have time to turn this thing around but if the effort against Purdue (another terrible team with no talent and coach that will probably be fired at the end of the year) is similar to what I saw in person in Ann Arbor, Jerry should stop bad-mouthing his players and start re-evaluating his coaching strategy for this particular group of young men

Have you seen/heard ANY of his recent pressers or just going off of what you read in the media?

9734856.jpg

Have you seen/heard ANY of his recent pressers or just going off of what you read in the media?

I have read / seen the pressers. I am not saying he is only blaming the players. He does take some of the blame but saying things like the kids aren't tough and you can't teach toughness (or tackling) and continuing to harp on the lack of talent he has (even if he is taking blame as well) just doesn't seem to be working. He is getting paid close to a million dollars while his players get a scholarship so I think, as the coach, he should be trying to shield the players from criticism vs calling them out. It is fine to make a statement that you don't have the talent you were hoping for (like after the NMSU game) once or twice but to continue harping on that (even while he is taking some blame as well) gets tiring. I don't see how that is going to make his players want to work harder or buy-in to his message (especially the seniors).

AgonyTrain said:

Frankly I don't give a damn if Jerry Kill is buddies with his players or if they like him or if he is fair (I suspect he is). I'm tired of paying 500+ per ticket to watch 1-6 home seasons. I went to Wisconsin and I can't get friends of mine that went to the U to go to games. The Gophers need to turn it around. Don't look to the feelings of players marginalized by his 'my way or the highway' approach to take the measure of the man. Look to the guys who played for him at Northern or Southern. They consistently back him.

If I were coach Kill and someone asked me about those comments and I happened to have a hair up my ass on that particular day, I'd answer, "I agree, they are a talented group - talented enough to stay within 11 of Northern Illinois".

I have read / seen the pressers. I am not saying he is only blaming the players. He does take some of the blame but saying things like the kids aren't tough and you can't teach toughness (or tackling) and continuing to harp on the lack of talent he has (even if he is taking blame as well) just doesn't seem to be working. He is getting paid close to a million dollars while his players get a scholarship so I think, as the coach, he should be trying to shield the players from criticism vs calling them out. It is fine to make a statement that you don't have the talent you were hoping for (like after the NMSU game) once or twice but to continue harping on that (even while he is taking some blame as well) gets tiring. I don't see how that is going to make his players want to work harder or buy-in to his message (especially the seniors).

Will someone from the "Kill is throwing the players under the bus" camp please explain this for me... There is a difference between "These players suck and there's no hope for them" and "The talent level right now is not what it needs to be because we are playing an unbelievable amount of freshman and the upperclassmen haven't been coached well (I'm sure he wouldn't say that, but it's true) and many are playing different positions." So why do you assume he means the first? The latter is the truth, and it's not the players faults, so why would they be offended that he says so?

Top Bottom