Brewster compares himself to Ferentz

So what you're bringing to this site is then both unoriginal AND redundant. There were probably a few that believed he was Ferentz-like a while back, but obviously this is not the case currently. Your post has nothing to do with enlightening anyone and has everything to do with having a laugh. Congratulations on your enjoyment of our pain.

Finally....ding ding ding....winner winner chicken dinner. not many people outside of mn ever thought that Brewster was EVER the answer. Heck most everyone outside MN hoped it would never end but that seems unlikely. Who was the worst? Waker, Mason, or Brewster? My favorite post here was the guy who told me IA can have football, that was pretty funny. I also liked the one guy who compared MN football to IA basketball, very true. U of MN football is like Duke football. There are plenty of gophers on the IA board, Im one person and the only one that I have seen rolling in hog chit as you guys like to say. See you all Nov 27. Lighten up! This is really such a waste of time, I appreciate you taking the bait though and I did have a couple of laughs, MN is good for a lot of things, college football isnt one of them.

Finally....ding ding ding....winner winner chicken dinner. not many people outside of mn ever thought that Brewster was EVER the answer. Heck most everyone outside MN hoped it would never end but that seems unlikely. Who was the worst? Waker, Mason, or Brewster? My favorite post here was the guy who told me IA can have football, that was pretty funny. I also liked the one guy who compared MN football to IA basketball, very true. U of MN football is like Duke football. There are plenty of gophers on the IA board, Im one person and the only one that I have seen rolling in hog chit as you guys like to say. See you all Nov 27. Lighten up! This is really such a waste of time, I appreciate you taking the bait though and I did have a couple of laughs, MN is good for a lot of things, college football isnt one of them.

I have done my best to be respectful and wish the gopher fans and the program luck over the past few weeks. Minnesota is down and Iowa is fortunate to have Kirk Ferentz. There is no need to come over to this board and and rip the gophers. Remember, between 2005-2007 Iowa was 19-18 with 2 bowl losses. The Hawks are not far removed from a very mediocre stretch, which carried over to the 2008 season until Iowa defeated Penn State. Iowa is 17-3 since then but Ferentz was on the verge of losing his job. Iowa fans have to keep the recent success in perspective because the Iowa football program epitomizes the typical ebb and flow of college football. I would like Minnesota to improve for the sake of the big10 and wish the gophers the best of luck against NU this weekend.

I would like Minnesota to improve for the sake of the big10.....

Believe me, we all would. Being the laughingstock of the conference is not our preferred position. I hate myself for wishing for the days of consistent mediocrity (read: Glen Mason); but, in a lot of ways, it's better than being the worst of the lot.

Ugh. I need a shower and some bourbon to wash away the bitter taste of having said that.

Believe me, we all would. Being the laughingstock of the conference is not our preferred position. I hate myself for wishing for the days of consistent mediocrity (read: Glen Mason); but, in a lot of ways, it's better than being the worst of the lot.

Ugh. I need a shower and some bourbon to wash away the bitter taste of having said that.

If Glen Mason had held on to beat Texas Tech in 2006, would he have kept his job for one more year? I think he would have.

If Glen Mason had held on to beat Texas Tech in 2006, would he have kept his job for one more year? I think he would have.

Well, he almost certainly would have. But that will never make him the coach Minnesota needed to take us to the next level. Right now sucks, sure. Mason was still sorely lacking as a coach.

Well, he almost certainly would have. But that will never make him the coach Minnesota needed to take us to the next level. Right now sucks, sure. Mason was still sorely lacking as a coach.

Indeed.

I agree. I think there were 2 games - Wisconsin game and Michigan game. If Mase had won those, and really all it was was a blocked punt and one defensive stand, he would be the coach today and probably have part of that stadium named after him.

He would never be as good as Barry though. :D

One of the interesting things about this game. A bounce here or there, a call one way or the other.....such little things having big impacts on the big picture. Yes, lots of little things add up to big things but some of those go the other way and who knows. MN will get theirs, just a tough spot right now, things will change! Keep your heads up. A lot of fight left, still a lot to be proud of no matter what. Youre part of the BIGTEN for cryin out loud! Act Like it! Good luck this weekend!

I have done my best to be respectful and wish the gopher fans and the program luck over the past few weeks. Minnesota is down and Iowa is fortunate to have Kirk Ferentz. There is no need to come over to this board and and rip the gophers. Remember, between 2005-2007 Iowa was 19-18 with 2 bowl losses. The Hawks are not far removed from a very mediocre stretch, which carried over to the 2008 season until Iowa defeated Penn State. Iowa is 17-3 since then but Ferentz was on the verge of losing his job. Iowa fans have to keep the recent success in perspective because the Iowa football program epitomizes the typical ebb and flow of college football. I would like Minnesota to improve for the sake of the big10 and wish the gophers the best of luck against NU this weekend.

I agree. You are really being a tool MpsHawk. Stop already, please. And your username is too damn close to mine on top of it. :pig:

The only thing I disagree with PapaHawk is on whether Ferentz was on the verge of losing his job. I don't think he was remotely close to losing his job, but that is JMHO.

I agree. You are really being a tool MpsHawk. Stop already, please. And your username is too damn close to mine on top of it. :pig:

+1

I remember you being reasonable last year, and then I see toolbox here bumping his thread to provoke.

There is plenty to rip on us about right now, really, there is. But to come on our board and bump your thread ripping our coach when there are dozens and dozens of threads ripping our coach is beyond the pale.

+1

I remember you being reasonable last year, and then I see toolbox here bumping his thread to provoke.

There is plenty to rip on us about right now, really, there is. But to come on our board and bump your thread ripping our coach when there are dozens and dozens of threads ripping our coach is beyond the pale.

You know what? Youre right! Im done! Good luck this weekend. Good to see so many sticking with your team, I respect that.

The only thing I disagree with PapaHawk is on whether Ferentz was on the verge of losing his job. I don't think he was remotely close to losing his job, but that is JMHO.

If Ferentz had lost to Penn State and we had split with Purdue and Minny I think he may have been fired at the end of the season. Iowa fans seem to forgot how close the 2008 season was to being a big failure. Fortunately, we upset the nittany lions and have been rolling ever since.

If Ferentz had lost to Penn State and we had split with Purdue and Minny I think he may have been fired at the end of the season. Iowa fans seem to forgot how close the 2008 season was to being a big failure. Fortunately, we upset the nittany lions and have been rolling ever since.

I just don't see the realistic chance he would have been fired. The man had one losing season in that stretch (2006) and it took a come from behind win by Texas in a bowl game to give us that losing season. Yes, 2007 was also very mediocre, but 2008 still isn't far removed from 2002-2004 where his teams won two Big Ten titles (shared) and had three top 10 finishes. Even in 2005 we were an Ed Hinkel injury away from probably sharing another Big 10 title, and if not for two horribly officiated games we would have had a good chance of beating Michigan and Florida. No Iowa AD in their right mind would fire a guy who made bowl games in 6 of 7 seasons between 2001 and 2007, who won titles twice and finished in the top 10 three times, who beat teams like LSU and Florida in bowl games, and who lost bowl games to teams like Florida and Texas in very close games. Only a character impuning scandal would have put him at risk. That was a possibility in the fall of 2007, but by the 2008 season it was pretty established that he acted appropriately in handling the Everson/Satterfield crime situation.

Iowa fans have what I consider somewhat unrealistic expectations regarding achievements of the football team, but I have a hard time believing that most AD's would share those unrealistic expectations.

Sooner or later these Iowee fools are going to have an 'Oh, Sh*t' moment when we finally get a coach who knows what he's doing in here. They should shut down their entire football program in the unlikely event they come to town and poo poo down their leg on 11/27. In case those dolts didn't catch it, we're ready for the next man up yesterday.

Sooner or later these Iowee fools are going to have an 'Oh, Sh*t' moment when we finally get a coach who knows what he's doing in here. They should shut down their entire football program in the unlikely event they come to town and poo poo down their leg on 11/27. In case those dolts didn't catch it, we're ready for the next man up yesterday.

How many times are we going to hear this? Boring...

I just don't see the realistic chance he would have been fired. The man had one losing season in that stretch (2006) and it took a come from behind win by Texas in a bowl game to give us that losing season. Yes, 2007 was also very mediocre, but 2008 still isn't far removed from 2002-2004 where his teams won two Big Ten titles (shared) and had three top 10 finishes. Even in 2005 we were an Ed Hinkel injury away from probably sharing another Big 10 title, and if not for two horribly officiated games we would have had a good chance of beating Michigan and Florida. No Iowa AD in their right mind would fire a guy who made bowl games in 6 of 7 seasons between 2001 and 2007, who won titles twice and finished in the top 10 three times, who beat teams like LSU and Florida in bowl games, and who lost bowl games to teams like Florida and Texas in very close games. Only a character impuning scandal would have put him at risk. That was a possibility in the fall of 2007, but by the 2008 season it was pretty established that he acted appropriately in handling the Everson/Satterfield crime situation.

Iowa fans have what I consider somewhat unrealistic expectations regarding achievements of the football team, but I have a hard time believing that most AD's would share those unrealistic expectations.

I am with you and maybe I am over-analyzing the situation. I would not have supported a firing but if we had gone two straight seasons without a bowl I am not convinced he would have survived because of pressure from fans and boosters. Solid analysis from you sir.

I am with you and maybe I am over-analyzing the situation. I would not have supported a firing but if we had gone two straight seasons without a bowl I am not convinced he would have survived because of pressure from fans and boosters. Solid analysis from you sir.

Ferentz clearly deserved a new contract at the end of the 2004 season, because Iowa had won 31 games in the previous three years (11-3, 10-2, 10-2) which included a trip to the Orange Bowl at the end of the '02 season. The problem is that since Ferentz signed that very rich contract his overall record was 19-18 and his record in the Big Ten was 11-13 following that 3 year stretch. When you win more than 10 games for 3 straight seasons, sign a very rich contract, and then win 19 games in 3 years, it certainly raises some eyebrows. The yearly records themselves (7-5, 6-7, 6-6) are interesting, but even more troubling is actually watching Iowa play football during the 2002-2004 period, and then watch Iowa play in the couple of seasons after. If he had fallen below 6-6 in 2008 I really dont think he would have come out of it as the coach. The rest is history but again....the finest of lines.

One thing he's not is Ferentz

I have used it before, and I'll use it again here:

You are a sad man. Your competitive edge imprisons you.

Feel good for what you're team has done, not for what it has not.

The losses you suffered at our hands and our National Championships are still a burden to you.

Get over it. I have.

This is Gopher Nation

You are why nobody respects Iowa fans in spite of their ultra-classy coach.

Perfect example - get put in your place and respond by spewing BS about wishing for Dungy, etc. Not that I'd expect a smart, witty retort from an Iowa fan. Go have another Milwaukee's Best: Special Reserve Ice Light.

Now you've done it. When you start slamming my Special Reserve Ice!! Put em up!! ;)

On a side note, I don't think all Iowa fans behave that way. I don't think I've put myself in that position on this board.

Top Bottom