Brewster compares himself to Ferentz

MspHawk

Reaction score
About halfway through story ...

"Who should be held responsible for that? It's Brewster, and he said he accepts that and understands that the focus will be on him and his job security until the Gophers win a few games. But he pointed out that Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz went 1-10 and 3-9 at Iowa before turning the Hawkeyes around. The Gophers' 2010 season is not lost, he insisted, not before the team has played a single Big Ten game." From today's star trib.

Maybe, like Ferentz, Brewster is building the professional disciplines and staff that will establish a top-notch program.

Maybe, like Iowa, Minn fans are staying loyal to the program, buying tickets and making donations to fund the building of the program that will lead to long-lasting success.

Maybe, he's right, and Minn will become a consistent conference contender and become more prominent on the national scene much like Ferentz and Iowa has done.

PROBABLY NOT!

Ferentz went 8-0 in the Big Ten in his 4th season and Brewster is going to 0-8, so I guess there is some symmetry there.

It’s fine to point out the record in the first few years for Ferentz because it's valid. However, Ferentz had a plan and kept to it. Shuffling coaches and coordinators is certainly not the blueprint Ferentz used.

First three years I believe Iowa was 11-24 and MN was 14-24 with Kirk and Brew. The following three years after getting their own recruits in the hawks went 31-7 with two big ten championships. So I would say it is fair to say that Iowa and MN had very similar results their first 3 years with a new coach taking over a program that didn’t leave much foundation. Iowa has had the same staff down to the strength coach since Kirk arrived. Brew has had 6 coordinators in 4 years and his recruits don’t make it to the field by fall time for many reasons. Middle of the pack is the best MN can hope for with an occasional deep run only to fool MN fans a little longer.

Perhaps it's not ALL about recruiting or does that keep coming up in discussion because Brewster thinks he's good at it. All it's done is show what a terrible coach he is. One thing he's not is Ferentz

Sure... Whatever. New coach on the way and everyone knows it.

Sure... Whatever. New coach on the way and everyone knows it.

Cant wait to hear the clown they get mid season. Keep dreaming about Tony D, not happening. With any luck he'll make it to Nov 27th and the Hawks can send him out at the same time they break in Kinnick North on the way to Pasadena. Perhaps this year the goal post will taken down with time on the clock just to be sure.....EH?

nobody gives a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about brewster anymore msphawk

I am aware of that there norm. It was in today’s paper, Brewster is now embarrassing not only MN but the Big Ten for crying out loud. Why do the inmates get to run the asylum?

Classic

Cant wait to hear the clown they get mid season. Keep dreaming about Tony D, not happening. With any luck he'll make it to Nov 27th and the Hawks can send him out at the same time they break in Kinnick North on the way to Pasadena. Perhaps this year the goal post will taken down with time on the clock just to be sure.....EH?

You are why nobody respects Iowa fans in spite of their ultra-classy coach.

Perfect example - get put in your place and respond by spewing BS about wishing for Dungy, etc. Not that I'd expect a smart, witty retort from an Iowa fan. Go have another Milwaukee's Best: Special Reserve Ice Light.

You are why nobody respects Iowa fans in spite of their ultra-classy coach.

Perfect example - get put in your place and respond by spewing BS about wishing for Dungy, etc. Not that I'd expect a smart, witty retort from an Iowa fan. Go have another Milwaukee's Best: Special Reserve Ice Light.

aw shucks, I guess a couple wouldnt hurt before I go back out to combine some corn. Came in the house to grab some grub, turned on BTN and sure enough they were replaying the MN game against NIU. I see NDSU didnt have any trouble with USD this weekend. Well....better get back out to the fields. Ill be taking my seat with me from TCF on Nov 27th, been thinkin about movie seats in my machine shed.

"Who should be held responsible for that? It's Brewster, and he said he accepts that and understands that the focus will be on him and his job security until the Gophers win a few games. But he pointed out that Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz went 1-10 and 3-9 at Iowa before turning the Hawkeyes around. The Gophers' 2010 season is not lost, he insisted, not before the team has played a single Big Ten game." From today's star trib.

Maybe, like Ferentz, Brewster is building the professional disciplines and staff that will establish a top-notch program.

Maybe, like Iowa, Minn fans are staying loyal to the program, buying tickets and making donations to fund the building of the program that will lead to long-lasting success.

Maybe, he's right, and Minn will become a consistent conference contender and become more prominent on the national scene much like Ferentz and Iowa has done.

PROBABLY NOT!

Ferentz went 8-0 in the Big Ten in his 4th season and Brewster is going to 0-8, so I guess there is some symmetry there.

It’s fine to point out the record in the first few years for Ferentz because it's valid. However, Ferentz had a plan and kept to it. Shuffling coaches and coordinators is certainly not the blueprint Ferentz used.

First three years I believe Iowa was 11-24 and MN was 14-24 with Kirk and Brew. The following three years after getting their own recruits in the hawks went 31-7 with two big ten championships. So I would say it is fair to say that Iowa and MN had very similar results their first 3 years with a new coach taking over a program that didn’t leave much foundation. Iowa has had the same staff down to the strength coach since Kirk arrived. Brew has had 6 coordinators in 4 years and his recruits don’t make it to the field by fall time for many reasons. Middle of the pack is the best MN can hope for with an occasional deep run only to fool MN fans a little longer.

Perhaps it's not ALL about recruiting or does that keep coming up in discussion because Brewster thinks he's good at it. All it's done is show what a terrible coach he is. One thing he's not is Ferentz

Great points there...Iowa is still full of fat chicks though, and you're team looked pathetic during the first half of that Arizona game...Iowa will be 4-4 in a month

Great points there...Iowa is still full of fat chicks though, and you're team looked pathetic during the first half of that Arizona game...Iowa will be 4-4 in a month

Fat chicks everywhere I know, youre right about that. great point.

4-4 in a month you predict. Iowa has 3 of the next 4 at home, they've won 49 of the last 59 home games. Now youre just flappin in the wind with Brewster.

IA looked terrible in the first half and even the second half at AZ, YES THEY DID!

MN ranking 4 games into the season.....110
IA ranking 4 games into the season.......18

This will be the second year, out of only four, that Brewster finds himself coaching a team located in the bottom 10 of all D-1 schools at season end. Those slots are supposed to be left for teams like Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, maybe even Duke. Definitely not Big Ten teams coached by 4th-year coaches and led by 5th-year senior QBs. Just think who's ahead of you....teams like san jose state, troy, bowling green, lafayette......How did the Gophers get to this point?

Wow, this little dude was on here for 2 hours last night!! Imaging how pathetic your life is if you're at the point where you are trolling message boards for 2+ hours. I can't believe his mommy let this little pin dic& stay up so late!! These rabid pig farmers have one thing going for them in life, the fact that Iowa has been good at football the last decade. Congrats on that, you still only have a national championship in one sport, wresting, one that nobody cares about and one that the gophers also have a national championship in. Don't try to compare yourselves (Iowa) to us (MN), just not close, you can have your football.

Hope the pancakes your mommy makes you this morning are delicious!!

And we will be where in a month, Mr Green Jeans? Losing at AZ = getting pummeled at home by the 'Yotes? Are you Tim or Clint Brewster?

And we will be where in a month, Mr Green Jeans? Losing at AZ = getting pummeled at home by the 'Yotes? Are you Tim or Clint Brewster?

loosing to USD is the same as IA loosing to 14th ranked AZ....really? At least throw some mud with some substance or worth laughing at. You were onto something with the Brewster comment.

loosing to USD is the same as IA loosing to 14th ranked AZ....really? At least throw some mud with some substance or worth laughing at. You were onto something with the Brewster comment.

Wow. Reading comprehension is very hard for you, isn't it?

Nobody was loosing to anybody.

nice. another year of being the doormat of the big ten and throw in USD and NIU, yaaaaawn.

What on earth do you gain from coming to a Gopher Web site and ripping the program right now?

We Gopher fans are currently torching the program and admitting it's no better than a pile of dung at the moment. There are literally hundreds of threads and thousands of posts where exasperated Gopher fans are throwing their hands up in the air and preparing ourselves for another rebuilding campaign. And you've got to come on here and start your own thread letting us know we suck?

I can understand wanting to visit GH right now and watch the reaction to the trainwreck. I'd be lurking on Iowa boards right now if the situations were reversed. But just because you like to watch the bodies fly through the air doesn't mean you actually need to participate.

Brewster didn't take over the greatest team, especially when the rape case happened and we lost some good players. In spite of that I still think Brewster and the Kool-aid drinkers made this program out to be a lot worse than it really was. You would have thought Mason had never won a game in his life as a coach. At the same time Brewster says how far we've come but going 1-3 shows us that this team may not even be better then the one Brewster inherited.

It was time for Mase to go and now it's time for Brewster to go. I'd be shocked if Urban Meyer doesn't come here to coach.

What on earth do you gain from coming to a Gopher Web site and ripping the program right now?

We Gopher fans are currently torching the program and admitting it's no better than a pile of dung at the moment. There are literally hundreds of threads and thousands of posts where exasperated Gopher fans are throwing their hands up in the air and preparing ourselves for another rebuilding campaign. And you've got to come on here and start your own thread letting us know we suck?

I can understand wanting to visit GH right now and watch the reaction to the trainwreck. I'd be lurking on Iowa boards right now if the situations were reversed. But just because you like to watch the bodies fly through the air doesn't mean you actually need to participate.

Fair enough MBAGUY, you make a valid point! MN Football is an embarrassment to the Big Ten and everyone in Big Ten Country can care about that. This whole thread started because of Brewster comparing himself to Ferentz during early tenure as recently as yesterday. Brewster is an extension of the U of MN and he is making a fool of you fans. I know 98% of fans in MN are some of the nicest people on earth; they are also passionate about their football team, that’s good.

Some of the very people on this thread alone have posted they are willing to sell their tickets to IA fans yet they blast me for bringing up one of the most ridiculous comparisons I’ve seen in awhile.

I have posted many positive gopher posts and am not throwing you the fan under the bus (there's a lot of shade under the bus by the way) Brewster is a disaster. Have you seen the poster in the locker room? We're 0-0, beat northwestern.

Have some fun with it, relax, things have to get better as this is a low for MN at the same time it’s a high for IA. Those tables will flip someday, they always do, and I’ll take it like a man. It’s just a football game. Get that embarrassment off your sideline. He's bad for everyone! If he's around Nov 27th perhaps another 55-0 will put a nail in his coffin.

Fair enough MBAGUY, you make a valid point! MN Football is an embarrassment to the Big Ten and everyone in Big Ten Country can care about that. This whole thread started because of Brewster comparing himself to Ferentz during early tenure as recently as yesterday. Brewster is an extension of the U of MN and he is making a fool of you fans. I know 98% of fans in MN are some of the nicest people on earth; they are also passionate about their football team, that’s good.

Some of the very people on this thread alone have posted they are willing to sell their tickets to IA fans yet they blast me for bringing up one of the most ridiculous comparisons I’ve seen in awhile.

I have posted many positive gopher posts and am not throwing you the fan under the bus (there's a lot of shade under the bus by the way) Brewster is a disaster. Have you seen the poster in the locker room? We're 0-0, beat northwestern.

Have some fun with it, relax, things have to get better as this is a low for MN at the same time it’s a high for IA. Those tables will flip someday, they always do, and I’ll take it like a man. It’s just a football game. Get that embarrassment off your sideline. He's bad for everyone! If he's around Nov 27th perhaps another 55-0 will put a nail in his coffin.

Iowa basketball is an embarrassment to the Big 10 too, but I'd venture to guess there aren't many Gopher fans on your basketball board pointing it out. We'll just continue to beat the tar out of you and go about our business.

Iowa basketball is an embarrassment to the Big 10 too, but I'd venture to guess there aren't many Gopher fans on your basketball board pointing it out. We'll just continue to beat the tar out of you and go about our business.

Great point. I mentioned that on another thread. IA Basketball is worse then MN football, at least you know what you have to do here in MN, and there will be another coach before they see the dance. Brewster’s locker room poster of the "redo" (0-0 beat northwestern) reminds me of IA catch phrase of the day, "get mad about it” It’s a joke and everyone knows it. By the way....yes there are many gopher posters on our boards throwing AZ in our face and IA basketball. It's a two way street. Your post/point is taken.

Brewster didn't take over the greatest team, especially when the rape case happened and we lost some good players. In spite of that I still think Brewster and the Kool-aid drinkers made this program out to be a lot worse than it really was. You would have thought Mason had never won a game in his life as a coach. At the same time Brewster says how far we've come but going 1-3 shows us that this team may not even be better then the one Brewster inherited.

It was time for Mase to go and now it's time for Brewster to go. I'd be shocked if Urban Meyer doesn't come here to coach.

Ya, the Gophers are in a tough spot, pretty much a lame duck, I think the end of the season may produce a larger field of coaches to choose from. The guys who are available now are available for a reason, most importantly they will still be there at the end of the season, so it's probably better Brewster stays, who knows he might win a few he shouldnt, lord knows he's already lost some he shouldnt.

Little bump and bait..........

You're previous couple of posts almost made me think you were a person that could add to the discussion without it devolving into a bunch of name calling.

But this post affirms to me that you're just a dick.

PROBABLY NOT!

Hey dude. Brewster wasn't handed 10 NFL players from Mase like Ferentz was from Fry. Many of those redshirt juniors and seniors that were recruited by Fry won those 8 games his 4th year. Look at Brewster Senior and Junior red shirt classes right now that Mase left him. See any difference?

Brewster needs to go, but let's condemn the man for not coaching and not for comments he makes.

Hey dude. Brewster wasn't handed 10 NFL players from Mase like Ferentz was from Fry. Many of those redshirt juniors and seniors that were recruited by Fry won those 8 games his 4th year. Look at Brewster Senior and Junior red shirt classes right now that Mase left him. See any difference?

Brewster needs to go, but let's condemn the man for not coaching and not for comments he makes.

So who was it the 5th, 6th, and 7th year then? IA plays a lot of younger tallent. Still looking for some substance from a gopher fan, yet to get anything of value. Im condemning Brewster for his coaching first AND the comments he makes. Can you say......used car sales?

Seriously go take a cold shower Iowa isnt anything special, they will NOT go to the Rose Bowl this year so please go discuss why they wont on their board instead of worrying about the Gophers you fn tool.

AND...

Im condemning Brewster for his coaching first AND the comments he makes. Can you say......used car sales?

So what you're bringing to this site is then both unoriginal AND redundant. There were probably a few that believed he was Ferentz-like a while back, but obviously this is not the case currently. Your post has nothing to do with enlightening anyone and has everything to do with having a laugh. Congratulations on your enjoyment of our pain.

Top Bottom