Brewster/Bielema = Oil and Water

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
Professionally, they both say that the game is all about Minnesota vs. Wisconsin. If you read between the lines however, there is a lot of animosity. Here's the thug Bielema's press conference:

QUESTION #9: Bret, I know you wanted to avoid the situation, does it feel weird going against a former player, like (Kim) Royston?

BIELEMA: You know what happened really, I didn’t give it any thought until one of our players said something yesterday in the team meeting. It was a big issue a long time ago, and I haven’t. I mean, I’m happy for, you know, Kim. The part that probably gets blown out of proportion in these situations is, you know, bottom line, we thought the world of Kim (which) is why we offered him and why he was here, and you guys know the way that I feel about my players. When he was here, I would have done anything for him, and to this day, you know, other than the game against us, I would root for Kim and, because I know he’s got all the right intentions.

The thing I just don’t want, and it’s going to happen a little bit here with the question is, to me this story needs to be about Wisconsin and Minnesota playing each other. You know, people will try to make the story about me and Brew or whatever. To me, it’s always about the teams. It’s about a 4-0 football team who’s going on the road for the first time at a very good 3-1 football team. And I think anything that’s a story outside of that just doesn’t do us what we want in college football
--------------------------------
On top of that, Coach Brewster did not even mention Bielema's name during the press conference. In all his other press conferences (yes, I'm a press conference junkie), he's said "_________ has done a tremendous job with _________". That is mysteriously absent in Brewster's press conference.

Now the question that begs for an answer, will Brew lead the charge over to grab the axe? Will Bielema "man up" and give it away gracefully?

Yes, it's about the game, but in an emotional environment, anything is possible.

I think you are looking hard for something that is not there.

yeah, what are you talking about? What was bad about what Bielema said?

I dont read anything there. I know Brett and Brew had some tif the first year, are they cordial now, or is there some animosity there still?

Cordial? No way...they don't like each other, plain and simple...it's always a legit storyline when these two teams hook-up...whether it's Brewster's comments in his 1st year at that pep rally, the punter Nortman, Kim Royston, and other issues we don't know about, there's no way they are cordial.

I don't care if they like each other or not

Not cordial? Who cares? I work with people I don’t especially like, some I despise. Guess what? Being a professional means that you don’t show that publicly. I’d guess they don’t like each other much more than they did three years ago. The fact that they both appear to be making some effort to be more civil in public is, in my mind, to their credit. If they want to use their mutual dislike to their advantage with their players, fine. Just keep the jabs out of the press.

Brewster's just like 99% of the world that follows college football. He sees Burt Bulimia for the douchenozzle that he is.

I thikn you would be SHOCKED at the percent of college football that think rah rah Timmy is a bigger 'douchenozzle' than Bielema. But keep living in the fantasy world.

I thikn you would be SHOCKED at the percent of college football that think rah rah Timmy is a bigger 'douchenozzle' than Bielema. But keep living in the fantasy world.
You have a tattoo on your cankle too, don't you?

You have a tattoo on your cankle too, don't you?

Hahahahaha, so true. If that doesn't scream I've spent a good chunk of my life in Iowa and Wisconsin I don't know what does.

I love how the Wisco trolls always tell us we are living in a fantasy world :clap: Pretty much the MO of any sports fan living in the state of Wisconsin. 15 years of good football goes a lot longer in some people's eyes than others I guess :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha, so true. If that doesn't scream I've spent a good chunk of my life in Iowa and Wisconsin I don't know what does.

I love how the Wisco trolls always tell us we are living in a fantasy world :clap: Pretty much the MO of any sports fan living in the state of Wisconsin. 15 years of good football goes a lot longer in some people's eyes than others I guess :rolleyes:

It beats 50 years of bad football.

Cordial? No way...they don't like each other, plain and simple...it's always a legit storyline when these two teams hook-up...whether it's Brewster's comments in his 1st year at that pep rally, the punter Nortman, Kim Royston, and other issues we don't know about, there's no way they are cordial.

Not to mention Bielema coming on a Wisconsin @ Minnesota b-ball broadcast a few days/weeks after Brewster was hired and stating "We consider Minnesota to be in-state recruiting".

whats wrong with that? Due to the fact that Wisconsin (and Minnesota) doesn;t produce as much football talent as the southeast states or Ohio, texas, CA, OH, Bielema IS forced to recruit Minnesota like it is instate. My god people around here are like scorned girlfriends or something. And yeah, sorry, kids these days when comparing Wisconsin and Minnesota's football traditions aren't looking back to the early 1960s when the Gophers were last good. Id say post 1990 matters a little more now a days than when the U was a football powerhouse back in the days of segregation!!!

"And yeah, sorry, kids these days when comparing Wisconsin and Minnesota's football traditions aren't looking back to the early 1960s when the Gophers were last good."

That's what we keep trying to tell Packer fans!

how bad must the gophs been over that time period then?? Isn't the historical series something like 58-50-3 or something? so with those 100 years of terrible football before Barry Alvarez the Badgers are somehow only down 8 wins? Man there is a lot of revisionists history around the gopher hole this week.

how bad must the gophs been over that time period then?? Isn't the historical series something like 58-50-3 or something? so with those 100 years of terrible football before Barry Alvarez the Badgers are somehow only down 8 wins? Man there is a lot of revisionists history around the gopher hole this week.

Um, actually, the question should be "how bad was Wisconsin during those years?" The reason? Because even with all your dominance in this rivalry since 1990 or whatever, you're still eight games back in the overall series. In other words, you were the U's bitch for the better part of, well, a LONG time. But you can also play your revisionist game if you so choose. I guess it's just a matter of what you want to revise.

You Wisconsin Fans are such tools

So you say that you didn't see anything in the comments. I can tell you've been smelling manure for too long:

1) Bielema was specifically asked about Royston. He brought the Brewster/Bielema issue up - translation: we hate each other and it IS an issue.

2) If Brewster doesn't use the word "tremendous" to describe you - you're on his crap list.

Let this be a life lesson to you Wisconsin hicks, what's not said is often times more important than what IS said.

So you say that you didn't see anything in the comments. I can tell you've been smelling manure for too long:

1) Bielema was specifically asked about Royston. He brought the Brewster/Bielema issue up - translation: we hate each other and it IS an issue.

2) If Brewster doesn't use the word "tremendous" to describe you - you're on his crap list.

Let this be a life lesson to you Wisconsin hicks, what's not said is often times more important than what IS said.

And we've got another quality quote for the week. :)

Take away the past 20 years of admitted Badger domination over the Gophers and that record changes to something like 55-35 (round numbers -- I don't feel like looking it up). That's pretty significant -- especially when you factor in 1970-1990, when both programs were mediocre for the most part.

This is all a little bit like seventh grade math doing a factor study, figuring out how many different ways to multiply numbers together to get the same answer.

It seems like no matter how many different ways you look at it, no matter how you add it up, Wisconsin still sucks.

"Id say post 1990 matters a little more now a days than when the U was a football powerhouse back in the days of segregation!!!"

I'd say post 2005 is about all that matters. 17 year olds don't remember Wisconsin's run in the 1990's.

Most kids getting recruited now don't look at a 1991 Rose Bowl or Big Ten championship any differently than a 1960 one. Each one is a lifetime ago to them and seems ancient. Look at their quotes - kids think Boise State and West Virginia have great traditions.

It's all about how you sell things, and Brewster is doing a great job of selling our tradition to kids. They don't see a difference between something that happened ten years ago and 40 years ago. Neither has any immediate relevance to them. So, Wiscy's winning is getting close to irrelevant to many kids getting recruited. What is still there is that they have maintained a great gameday experience without any championships in recent years. Thats what I think is key to kids - sell what you can and have a fun atmosphere to play in. Brew is selling kids on bringing back the tradition, and gameday isn't even comparable to just 11 months ago.

I like this series of posts you have done. Brief and to the point. You are not losing focus.

GV has a point here Schnoodler. I think you need to cash in and do a spot for 5 Hour Energy. Why not get paid for hating on Wisky? :)

I'm pretty sure Brett Bielema is the retarded son of Mike Tice, but that said - I don't see much here either. Depending on how the game goes (phantom calls, Decker crotch punches, other weirdness), we may see tempers flare, etc. though.

You don't read many national message boards do you? Join Rivals and read what other Big Ten fans have to say about Bielema vs. Brewster. Outside of Iowa & Wisconsin, Big Ten fans have a lot more respect for Brewster than Bielema.

Top Bottom