Brew's Radio Show ... Really great coachin'

all of you negative nancy's can criticize brew if you want...there are legit concerns! but thinking we are below the mason years is laughable! we weren't a middle of the road BT team. we hung out with indiana and northwestern-with a few upsets here and there! brew hasn't proven he is a good or bad coach in my mind but I don't attack everything he does. the oline is an issue, running game and coordinator shuffle is an issue, the fact the stupid penalties are still there is a concern...patience is what a change of regime needs-some of you need to realize this!
I'm also sick of how some of the clowns here think we weren't competitive against psu...i thought we played a pretty solid game. I get it, our offense is bad, but a 20-0 game where a couple of calls that we should have gotten changed that game for us! tOSU kicked our ass, but after they were beaten by purdue I knew that was coming. they are more talented then we are!
I was with you right up to the part in bold. I get it too, defense did a decent job, and there were some questionable calls that didn't go our way. That being said, I flat disagree with you when you suggest only a clown could feel we weren't competitive in that game. I watched it start to finish. In no point during the game did I think we had a chance to win. Maybe the defense competed, but as bad as the offense was, we were not competitive. It takes more than a somewhat decent job by the defense for me to determine that we were competitive. There is no way to sugar coat the PSU game. We stunk!

He has calmed down this last season and a half though. I remember when he first got hired and well into the first season he just would not stop talking and I think it made a lot of people nervous because the talk was the complete opposite of what was taking place on the field. Since last season he's really calmed down with the over-enthusiasm and is more levelheaded then he was when he first got here. People forget that Brewster is still brand new to coaching so he's still learning a lot of things as he goes along. He has the makings of being a very good coach in the future and I'd hate for him to bomb here, leave & end up being an incredible coach somewhere else after he finally figures out who he is under the helm.......

Holy crap!

I agree with this whole post! Thailleage rapidly moving up my list of most favored posters.

I'm just saying...people don't look at it like this...I've followed South Florida very closely...their coach is *VERY* enthusiastic, out-going and a very good recruiter. All it took was to combine his enthusiastic approach to recruiting & a couple winning seasons and now South Florida is snatching recruits right out of the hands of bigger programs like Miami & Florida State. This is why winning is a MUST. If Brewster was able to snag a decent recruiting class with a 1-11 record imagine what damage he could do if he won 8 or 9 games or at least was competitive in the big ones? This is why I never understood how Mason's classes got WORSE after 2003. You just came off of a 10 win season...how do you not use that to go after higher caliber players?

all of you negative nancy's can criticize brew if you want...there are legit concerns! but thinking we are below the mason years is laughable! we weren't a middle of the road BT team. we hung out with indiana and northwestern-with a few upsets here and there! QUOTE]

Not to put to fine a point on it, but isn't that exactly what we are right now? Hanging with Indiana/Northwestern? But without the upsets?

I'm certainly not trying to be a so-called negative nancy by pointing this out, but the way you just described mason is exactly how one could describe the Brewster tenure so far. I agree that the jury is still out on him as a coach (and as you said there are legit concerns) but if we're looking only at on the field results we can't reasonably say he's had anything other than a lower-tier Big Ten team on his watch. Yes, I understand it's with many of Mason's players but until he puts togheter wins over better Big Ten teams and does have a copule of upsets sprinkled in, he'll continue to receive the criticism he does today.

all of you negative nancy's can criticize brew if you want...there are legit concerns! but thinking we are below the mason years is laughable! we weren't a middle of the road BT team. we hung out with indiana and northwestern-with a few upsets here and there! QUOTE]

Not to put to fine a point on it, but isn't that exactly what we are right now? Hanging with Indiana/Northwestern? But without the upsets?

I'm certainly not trying to be a so-called negative nancy by pointing this out, but the way you just described mason is exactly how one could describe the Brewster tenure so far. I agree that the jury is still out on him as a coach (and as you said there are legit concerns) but if we're looking only at on the field results we can't reasonably say he's had anything other than a lower-tier Big Ten team on his watch. Yes, I understand it's with many of Mason's players but until he puts togheter wins over better Big Ten teams and does have a copule of upsets sprinkled in, he'll continue to receive the criticism he does today.

To add - I think the problem with things like his press conference is that what he says does not jive with what we see on the field. He's creating that contrast unfortunately which is why people get so tired of it. What he says should at least closely resemble what is happening on the field - too often it doesn't IMO (which I think was the point of the OP).

I don't think lakesgopher ever said we were clearly better than the Mason teams...just that we weren't worse. And I think that's about right. At this point its clear that we're a more athletic/talented team than many/most Mason squads but we are performing at the same level when it comes to wins and losses.

I was with you right up to the part in bold. I get it too, defense did a decent job, and there were some questionable calls that didn't go our way. That being said, I flat disagree with you when you suggest only a clown could feel we weren't competitive in that (PSU) game. I watched it start to finish. In no point during the game did I think we had a chance to win. ... We stunk!

Completely agree. I'm brand new here, and I can understand the frustration with the 'negative nancy' types, but saying you must be a clown to say the PSU effort was unacceptable is the opposite: blind homerism.

Just because it wasn't an 84-13 blowout doesn't mean it wasn't a lousy game. It was a methodical victory by a Penn State team that was never in ANY danger. They went out, didn't get flustered and casually walked to a shutout victory. That's a horrible game for the Gophers in my opinion.

As far as Brewster in general, I'm a very realistic optimist. The remainder of this season is critical (which is obvious, I suppose). He's not a shoe-in to return. I'm generally of the opinion that a new coach would warrant at least another year, but that's conditional on showing improvement. While the defense is being run better, the offense certainly is not. Net-net, they ain't better. If they don't show some offensive spark in the next month, Brewster's got serious problems. Changing the offensive philosophy is completely on his shoulders, and if they continue to struggle what does he do? Publicly say he's sticking with the status quo? That's likely to be VERY unpopular. Switch philosophies and/or coordinators again? He'll look like a total flake. He's basically hitched himself to Fisch, and they need to give folks something to cheer about soon. I'm not saying Brewster's a lousy coach, I'm saying that's the reality of the situation he's now in.

As far as Brewster in general, I'm a very realistic optimist. The remainder of this season is critical (which is obvious, I suppose). He's not a shoe-in to return. I'm generally of the opinion that a new coach would warrant at least another year, but that's conditional on showing improvement. While the defense is being run better, the offense certainly is not. Net-net, they ain't better. If they don't show some offensive spark in the next month, Brewster's got serious problems. Changing the offensive philosophy is completely on his shoulders, and if they continue to struggle what does he do? Publicly say he's sticking with the status quo? That's likely to be VERY unpopular. Switch philosophies and/or coordinators again? He'll look like a total flake. He's basically hitched himself to Fisch, and they need to give folks something to cheer about soon. I'm not saying Brewster's a lousy coach, I'm saying that's the reality of the situation he's now in.

Some good points here. I think your observation is pretty spot on about the reactions to the offense after the season if there isn't further improvement. No improvement and Brew sticks with Fisch (which is the right move...you simply can't change coordinators again) and a ton of folks will overreact...so sad but so true.

Agreed, Brew is an eternal optimist, but I feel like a good leader should temper some of those things if in fact they are completely baseless. Im actually of the opinion that given some time and continuity, Brew will bring in enough talent to be a top half team in the B10 who competes for titles once and a while. I just think he should lay off the ceaselessly positive bit a little and learn to be a little more critical. If he honestly believes those things than he might be in trouble in the long run.

From what I have heard from talking with players, Brew does go hard on his coaches and players, but not in the media. I would say his philosophy would fall under the:
"Only criticize in private".

I get annoyed from time to time with his relentless 'tremendous' and 'very goods' but it has dropped TREMENDOUS amounts (haha I had to) this year compared to the last 2 years. He still is the outgoing optimist at every opportunity, but I think he has learned from experience to tone it down a little bit.
He is 100% a players coach, and is 100% loyal and backing of his coaching staff. Which is why I think he never publicly criticizes them, he respects them too much to embarrass them in the media. And he takes responsibility most of the time, another sign of how he would rather take the harsh media's attention instead of his staff and players. He would rather have them focusing on school and the next game, which I totally agree with.

Go gophers

Who are all the Brewster supporters going to blame when all of the Mason seniors are not around next year?

Well, I guess there will still be at least one to blame, Weber.

How about in 2011, who will be there to blame?

At some point, you have to start winning games that the "experts" don't think you can win or the program will never win the Big Ten and get to the place that Brewster stated is the program's goal. It is pretty safe to say that the Gophers are not going to come into the season as the Big Ten favorite any time soon.

I think the concern that some in the fan base have is whether Brewster is up to the task of making that happen. I don't think that is unreasonable concern.

But, if the chilli is hot, it is all good.

Who are all the Brewster supporters going to blame when all of the Mason seniors are not around next year?

Well, I guess there will still be at least one to blame, Weber.

How about in 2011, who will be there to blame?

At some point, you have to start winning games that the "experts" don't think you can win or the program will never win the Big Ten and get to the place that Brewster stated is the program's goal. It is pretty safe to say that the Gophers are not going to come into the season as the Big Ten favorite any time soon.

I think the concern that some in the fan base have is whether Brewster is up to the task of making that happen. I don't think that is unreasonable concern.

But, if the chilli is hot, it is all good.

When his players are in position, including O and Dlines, then the judgment can be made, which is precisely why the chicken little stuff is so stupid in year 3. Year 4 and 5 will yield more support for anti coach Brewster opinions if the wins don't come. But until then chill, then again why am I reasoning with a badger fan?

I think it's fair to criticize Brewster. There aren't many coaches that are above criticism. I just think people have unrealistic expectations on what a coach is supposed to say to the public. Of course Brewster is going to say his coaches are good and spin the program positively. Does a salesman tell his customers about all the flaws of his products? No, he knows there are flaws, but tries to sell the positive. I am pretty certain that Brewster isn't always positive with his coaches and players behind the scenes, but why air that stuff out in the public?

By all means, what we really need is for Brewster to talk smack against the other coaches and the players. :rolleyes:

This all makes sense and is reasonable. But where in this thread has anyone really disputed this kind of thinking? The pushback was against over the top negative assessments, not your valid and I'd say pretty spot on observation.

I think it's fair to criticize Brewster. There aren't many coaches that are above criticism. I just think people have unrealistic expectations on what a coach is supposed to say to the public. Of course Brewster is going to say his coaches are good and spin the program positively. Does a salesman tell his customers about all the flaws of his products? No, he knows there are flaws, but tries to sell the positive. I am pretty certain that Brewster isn't always positive with his coaches and players behind the scenes, but why air that stuff out in the public?
This is 100% spot on. There are a lot of things I am willing to criticize with the program, but Brewster's lack of candor is not one of them. It's pretty much what I expect from the HC.

When his players are in position, including O and Dlines, then the judgment can be made, which is precisely why the chicken little stuff is so stupid in year 3. Year 4 and 5 will yield more support for anti coach Brewster opinions if the wins don't come. But until then chill, then again why am I reasoning with a badger fan?

That is a reasonable opinion as well. I guess it all comes down to what you think of his coaching ability and his ability to build a program. I don't think it is unreasoble to question if he has what it takes to get it done. A lot of your fan base agrees.

This all makes sense and is reasonable. But where in this thread has anyone really disputed this kind of thinking? The pushback was against over the top negative assessments, not your valid and I'd say pretty spot on observation.

That is true. To fire him after year three would most likely be a bad decision.

The strangest decision he has made in my opinion is abandoning the spread after 2 years and switching to a different style of offense after recruiting Gray. I don't understand why he didn't keep the offense (who said you can't run out of the spread) improve the line and roll with the prized recruit that you brought in to run the offense that he recruited him for.

Does not make sense to me at all.

That is a reasonable opinion as well. I guess it all comes down to what you think of his coaching ability and his ability to build a program. I don't think it is unreasoble to question if he has what it takes to get it done. A lot of your fan base agrees.

It's not unreasonable to question it, many have from his hiring date, what's unreasonable is to demand he be removed because there is no doubt he can't get it done without any real idea of how HIS players will play.

As for the O, I think it wasn't a switch away from the spread as much as it was a switch from the Dunbar offense. I think we all know who the "killshot" was supposed to be, it wasn't Fisch, he was trying to get Major Applewhite from Texas or Josh Heupel from Oklahoma.
Fisch has brought in a very flexible if complicated scheme, it can be a spread O or a power running O(in theory). I expect we will run more spread with Gray the next few years, more Pro style with Weber or Alipate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really think Dunbar would still be here if he was willing to change his offense a little bit. Still run the spread 75% of the time, but also have the ability to lineup with 2 TEs and a FB and pound the ball on 3rd and short. We are still running a lot of 3 WR sets.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really think Dunbar would still be here if he was willing to change his offense a little bit. Still run the spread 75% of the time, but also have the ability to lineup with 2 TEs and a FB and pound the ball on 3rd and short. We are still running a lot of 3 WR sets.

I would agree with that as well. I think the problem when he was hired was that Brewster told him he would have free reign to run the offense as he wanted which he should not have done.

When the change is complete, then it's all on Brewster. Question is what happens in Wiscy when skunk face finally falls off of Barry's coat tails?

I was with you right up to the part in bold. I get it too, defense did a decent job, and there were some questionable calls that didn't go our way. That being said, I flat disagree with you when you suggest only a clown could feel we weren't competitive in that game. I watched it start to finish. In no point during the game did I think we had a chance to win. Maybe the defense competed, but as bad as the offense was, we were not competitive. It takes more than a somewhat decent job by the defense for me to determine that we were competitive. There is no way to sugar coat the PSU game. We stunk!

I will stick to my opinion you can keep yours...i think the offense looked bad and the defense played good enough to win! ohio st killed us and we looked really bad in the 2nd half...i guess I didn't expect wins out of either game and I really expected a pissed off osu to come out and roll us. 4 games left and a bowl game is expected...6-6/7-5 pretty much exactly what the world expected this team

We'll see what happens, but the Gophs need to at least answer the bell Saturday. Another beat-down will not go over well, Decker or no Decker. The fans need to feel optimistic about the direction of the program on the field and not just with recruiting ratings. If they play poorly, then Brewster needs to own up to it and finally be honest about it. No more of this positive spin.

To me, it's not about wins and losses at this point this year, it's about showing growth on the field and the coach embracing accountability for both himself and the rest of the program.

If Saturday nite is a W, everything's peachy for most GHers, but impatient GH doomers will say something to the effect that the Gs left too many easy points on the field and Brew's still on thin ice.

If its a L, I expect Brew to man-up in his post-game presser and acknowledge that the Gs were outcoached, outmanned and/or outexecuted etc just like he did post-game against PSU and tOSU, unless of course its a real gutsy 4thQ squeaker.

Now that he's been HCing for nearly three years, he smart enough to know that his public remarks need to have some realistic relationship to performance on the field for him to retain any sensible credibility with the G fan base going forward.

If Brew beats MSU tomorrow, I will eat my crow dad gum hot and never post on here again. How's that for incentive?

I considered it a big game, but now you've made me really slobbering for a win.

to say we suck worse than mason years is preposterous. upchurch's post is a ridiculous post with no truths in it, His post was meant to be a negative post and get a reaction.

to say we suck worse than mason years is preposterous. upchurch's post is a ridiculous post with no truths in it, His post was meant to be a negative post and get a reaction.

I don't know...his "well excuuuuuuuussssssssssssssseeeee me" post seemed very sincere in its positive tone. I think he really changed some hearts and minds with that one. He may have even gotten everyone's chili dad gum hot.

I would agree with that as well. I think the problem when he was hired was that Brewster told him he would have free reign to run the offense as he wanted which he should not have done.

And I think Dunbar had the same problems at California before he came here.

On his 'CCO show tonight, Brew had his chilli dad gum hot. And you know what, I'm sick and tired of that lame line. He talked about how all his coaches are doing "really fantastic jobs." Come on Brew, take a look at Big 10 stats and see how your boys are waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy down the line in every category. It's been 3 years of dad gum hot chilli and we suck worse than we did under Mason. You've done everything possible to build a good program....like visiting ever dad gum high school in the state. And yet your team is going down down down. Is it coachin'????

Maybe it is.

Another idiotic troll. Go home never come back. We do not need you or want you. Piss off.

Top Bottom