Brew's Radio Show ... Really great coachin'

upchurch

Reaction score
On his 'CCO show tonight, Brew had his chilli dad gum hot. And you know what, I'm sick and tired of that lame line. He talked about how all his coaches are doing "really fantastic jobs." Come on Brew, take a look at Big 10 stats and see how your boys are waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy down the line in every category. It's been 3 years of dad gum hot chilli and we suck worse than we did under Mason. You've done everything possible to build a good program....like visiting ever dad gum high school in the state. And yet your team is going down down down. Is it coachin'????

Maybe it is.

We'll know more about Brew when he's Deckerless...it begins this Saturday.......

Quite frankly I think its decent coaching that this team has even been competitive and given us two good masonesk years. It's exciting to think that with his young recruits maturing and getting more and more playing time the program will soon move beyond the mason like lower middle of the pack results we're all so accustomed to.

Definitely a troll of one variety. Haven't quite pinned down the source of his disease yet.

Brewster himself is not a great coach, but he doesn't need to be. As long as we quit shuffling coordinators in and out, I believe with some stability, we could see it paying off as early as next year.

How dare I criticize the great Brewster. I am so sorry. Enjoy your mediocrity, boys.

If Brew beats MSU tomorrow, I will eat my crow dad gum hot and never post on here again. How's that for incentive?

On his 'CCO show tonight, Brew had his chilli dad gum hot. And you know what, I'm sick and tired of that lame line. He talked about how all his coaches are doing "really fantastic jobs." Come on Brew, take a look at Big 10 stats and see how your boys are waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy down the line in every category. It's been 3 years of dad gum hot chilli and we suck worse than we did under Mason. You've done everything possible to build a good program....like visiting ever dad gum high school in the state. And yet your team is going down down down. Is it coachin'????

Maybe it is.

Sorry to read about your sickness...sending best wishes for a full recovery to get your chilli dad gum hot so you won't have to spend all day sucking.

Maybe it is.

Sigh. At least get the phrase you're making fun of right. Have some pride in your negative nelly-ness upchurch. This is not the post of a cranky veteran. Bush league preparation here. You need to step up your game or people will start dismissing you as a poor man's sfbadger.

It's "get your dad gum chili hot" not "get your chili dad gum hot". Also, his chili has only been hot for just over a season now. To my knowledge no one was even aware that chili could be so superheated as to morph into the epic level of dad gum chili until the Illinois game last season.

Maybe you should take a break from posting and get your head right. I'd hate to think the vitriol you're spewing is less then your best effort. No one will think less of you if you need a few days to collect your wits.

to be honest, this is one thing that is bothering me as well....when I look at our performances over the past two weeks, and don't get me wrong, I had them marked as losses at the beginning of the year, I at least wanted us to be competitive...we should NOT be getting blown out and continually shooting ourselves in the foot, and then I hear Brewster's comments about how he couldn't be more proud of our efforts, and he really likes the direction the team is going???? It really makes me wonder. Granted, when he is speaking in public, i don't expect him to throw any players or coaches under the bus...but he also needs to be more realistic in his assessment of where the team and coaches are at. He cannot have been pleased with our direction over the past two weeks, and if he was, we are in serious trouble, or at least HE is.

If Brew beats MSU tomorrow, I will eat my crow dad gum hot and never post on here again. How's that for incentive?

I highly doubt that. There is no way you'd break up the never-ending stream of anti-Brewster, anti-Weber, anti-everything stuff you have been posting. About a week or two ago I browsed your posts and it was about as steady "anti" as it could be. Someone could post about a flower they saw growing next to TCF Bank Stadium and you'd probably reply about all the herbicides and pesticides that it took to get it that way.

upchurch you have earned Ignore status from me. Right there with Art V.

I'm not a gopher fan, so my opinion means nothing to you people, but why is it that when someone posts something remotely negative regarding Brewster the positive patrol comes out to try to wipe the floor with them. Is upchurch lying somehow? Is it wrong for a fan to question the head coaches comments about how his coaches are doing a 'fantastic' or 'tremendous' job when in actuality the offense and the defense rank in the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the Big 10?

I would guess the reason Brew pisses most people off is because almost everything that comes out of his mouth is mostly untrue. Instead of telling everyone what a great job he and his staff are doing, why not say they need to work harder and get better since the product on the field to date hasn't been close to what is needed to compete in the B10.

Oh, and I'm a wisky fan so rip away.

He'll only change his name to another former Gopher great (i.e dungy or stephens) and produce the same negative garbage. Time to move to Iowa where you have something you can cheer for.

I'm not a gopher fan, so my opinion means nothing to you people, but why is it that when someone posts something remotely negative regarding Brewster the positive patrol comes out to try to wipe the floor with them. Is upchurch lying somehow? Is it wrong for a fan to question the head coaches comments about how his coaches are doing a 'fantastic' or 'tremendous' job when in actuality the offense and the defense rank in the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the Big 10?

I would guess the reason Brew pisses most people off is because almost everything that comes out of his mouth is mostly untrue. Instead of telling everyone what a great job he and his staff are doing, why not say they need to work harder and get better since the product on the field to date hasn't been close to what is needed to compete in the B10.

Oh, and I'm a wisky fan so rip away.

The problem is that he is relentless negative. There is plenty to be critical of, but upchurch takes it to ridiculous levels (calling Weber a D-III qb would be one of many examples). It's just about impossible to take the guy seriously anymore.

There is plenty of things to be critical about and his basic point in this post is actually pretty sound IMO. It bugs me too when Brew or other coaches are too positive when things are tough...I prefer the "we have things to work on but I see positives every day in practice" sort of comment. But that's not who Brew is and I'm not going to spend a lot of time getting worked up about it.

I guess since I haven't been around the board all that long I didnt realize that upchurch is relentlessly negative. I just popped in, read the top post which I thought was decently fair regarding brew saying theyve been coaching fantastically, and then saw him shredded. I realize negative trolls are incredibly annoying, i didnt realize that was the case.

Agreed, Brew is an eternal optimist, but I feel like a good leader should temper some of those things if in fact they are completely baseless. Im actually of the opinion that given some time and continuity, Brew will bring in enough talent to be a top half team in the B10 who competes for titles once and a while. I just think he should lay off the ceaselessly positive bit a little and learn to be a little more critical. If he honestly believes those things than he might be in trouble in the long run.

The problem is that he is relentless negative. There is plenty to be critical of, but upchurch takes it to ridiculous levels (calling Weber a D-III qb would be one of many examples). It's just about impossible to take the guy seriously anymore.

There is plenty of things to be critical about and his basic point in this post is actually pretty sound IMO. It bugs me too when Brew or other coaches are too positive when things are tough...I prefer the "we have things to work on but I see positives every day in practice" sort of comment. But that's not who Brew is and I'm not going to spend a lot of time getting worked up about it.

GoAUpher beat me to it. We all see things about the program, coaching, players, that we can criticize from time to time. But, there are some people that take this to a level where you can easily question what their purpose is. They are completely negative about everything and a regular reader can quickly uncover the goal isn't to discuss Gopher football. Instead it looks more like an attempt to get attention, tweak others, and argue for the sake of arguing. Click on Upchurch's name, check out his past posts, and you will see for yourself... a rip fest 7x24, every day.

How dare I criticize the great Brewster. I am so sorry. Enjoy your mediocrity, boys.

all of you negative nancy's can criticize brew if you want...there are legit concerns! but thinking we are below the mason years is laughable! we weren't a middle of the road BT team. we hung out with indiana and northwestern-with a few upsets here and there! brew hasn't proven he is a good or bad coach in my mind but I don't attack everything he does. the oline is an issue, running game and coordinator shuffle is an issue, the fact the stupid penalties are still there is a concern...patience is what a change of regime needs-some of you need to realize this!
I'm also sick of how some of the clowns here think we weren't competitive against psu...i thought we played a pretty solid game. I get it, our offense is bad, but a 20-0 game where a couple of calls that we should have gotten changed that game for us! tOSU kicked our ass, but after they were beaten by purdue I knew that was coming. they are more talented then we are!

I guess since I haven't been around the board all that long I didnt realize that upchurch is relentlessly negative. I just popped in, read the top post which I thought was decently fair regarding brew saying theyve been coaching fantastically, and then saw him shredded. I realize negative trolls are incredibly annoying, i didnt realize that was the case.

Agreed, Brew is an eternal optimist, but I feel like a good leader should temper some of those things if in fact they are completely baseless. Im actually of the opinion that given some time and continuity, Brew will bring in enough talent to be a top half team in the B10 who competes for titles once and a while. I just think he should lay off the ceaselessly positive bit a little and learn to be a little more critical. If he honestly believes those things than he might be in trouble in the long run.

Nice post. You're the kind of Badger fan I'm happy to co-exist with. :)

I've pretty consciously avoided being judgmental of Brew to this point as well because I honestly feel that he needs at least one more year before he can be judged fairly. But this is a point I agree with you on. I'm beginning to think that Brew spends so much time patting himself, his coaches and his players on the back that the motivation to keep pushing and get better week-by-week isn't there.

The last thing that a fan wants to hear from a team that continues to struggle is how great everything is within the program. It's not. Is the recruiting better? Obviously. But as of yet, it hasn't translated onto the field of play. Will it eventually? Perhaps. But I must admit I'm starting to get a little tired of the "everything is great and tremendous" speeches from Brew at this point.

I've pretty consciously avoided being judgmental of Brew to this point as well because I honestly feel that he needs at least one more year before he can be judged fairly. But this is a point I agree with you on. I'm beginning to think that Brew spends so much time patting himself, his coaches and his players on the back that the motivation to keep pushing and get better week-by-week isn't there.

The last thing that a fan wants to hear from a team that continues to struggle is how great everything is within the program. It's not. Is the recruiting better? Obviously. But as of yet, it hasn't translated onto the field of play. Will it eventually? Perhaps. But I must admit I'm starting to get a little tired of the "everything is great and tremendous" speeches from Brew at this point.

I'm not sure if it effects motivation or not. If he's like this in private to this staff and players then yes, that's a problem. I've always taken it as this is how he is when he's out in public because his feeling is that relentless positive is the best approach when talking about his kids/staff to the media.

I agree though, that it offends more fans then it reassures.

I'm not sure if it effects motivation or not. If he's like this in private to this staff and players then yes, that's a problem. I've always taken it as this is how he is when he's out in public because his feeling is that relentless positive is the best approach when talking about his kids/staff to the media.

That certainly could also be the case, which is why I'm going to hold off on a full judgment for a while yet. Let's just say I'm a concerned optimist at this point. Regardless, as Gopher fans we'll all find out soon enough.

I've always thought that was the case as well. Many of the recruits who committ and sign with us usually mention how much they like the energy of Brewster and his staff. I really doubt he's always positive during their meetings.

to be honest, this is one thing that is bothering me as well....when I look at our performances over the past two weeks, and don't get me wrong, I had them marked as losses at the beginning of the year, I at least wanted us to be competitive...we should NOT be getting blown out and continually shooting ourselves in the foot, and then I hear Brewster's comments about how he couldn't be more proud of our efforts, and he really likes the direction the team is going???? It really makes me wonder. Granted, when he is speaking in public, i don't expect him to throw any players or coaches under the bus...but he also needs to be more realistic in his assessment of where the team and coaches are at. He cannot have been pleased with our direction over the past two weeks, and if he was, we are in serious trouble, or at least HE is.

I guess I heard that quote differently. Over the past two weeks I have heard Brewster say several times that, "I'm proud/excited/happy about the direction of the program. That's a small but important distinction. And he's said this in response to questions about the direction of this year's team, so it's easy for someone to get the wrong impression. But I never had the idea that he thought the team had made big strides the past two weeks.

In fact, over the past two weeks I have heard or read quotes from him about the team being outplayed/outcoached/made too many mistakes, etc. And he has highlighted some positives, too. But compared to the way he was his first season, I've been pretty impressed with how he has critiqued his team this year.

He has calmed down this last season and a half though. I remember when he first got hired and well into the first season he just would not stop talking and I think it made a lot of people nervous because the talk was the complete opposite of what was taking place on the field. Since last season he's really calmed down with the over-enthusiasm and is more levelheaded then he was when he first got here. People forget that Brewster is still brand new to coaching so he's still learning a lot of things as he goes along. He has the makings of being a very good coach in the future and I'd hate for him to bomb here, leave & end up being an incredible coach somewhere else after he finally figures out who he is under the helm.......

He has calmed down this last season and a half though. I remember when he first got hired and well into the first season he just would not stop talking and I think it made a lot of people nervous because the talk was the complete opposite of what was taking place on the field. Since last season he's really calmed down with the over-enthusiasm and is more levelheaded then he was when he first got here. People forget that Brewster is still brand new to coaching so he's still learning a lot of things as he goes along. He has the makings of being a very good coach in the future and I'd hate for him to bomb here, leave & end up being an incredible coach somewhere else after he finally figures out who he is under the helm.......[/QUOTE]

T...is that really you?

Maybe it is.

If you actually believe this, there is no hope for you.
If not, then you need to chill out. I was at the show last night, Brewster looked upbeat and energized, ready to go. A team is a reflection of its head coach, right now I would imagine the players are pretty down mentally, there's no reason to pile on for fans' sake. He mentioned many times last night that there were many missed opportunities, many self inflicted wounds, little consistency. He also mentioned that players need to move on and prepare for their next opponent, "don't get beat two weeks in a row on one Saturday"
You obviously don't like the tone of Brewster, his positive ways, I would imagine you prefer a stoic, Bud Grant/Ferentz/Dungy type, that's not Brewster, get over it, accept it, and either support the program or don't. It's up to you.

Top Bottom