Brew tells Henderson he can play BB at the U

BBShopGo4

Sec. 213, Row 29
Reaction score
Looks like Brew is pulling out all the stops to entice Seantrel Henderson. I like it! The following is from Sid's column today.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/41294407.html?page=2&c=y

Recruiting cooperation

There already was lot of competition for the Gophers in recruiting of Cretin- Derham Hall football and basketball star Seantrel Henderson before Rivals.com declared him the No. 1 recruit in the country for the Class of 2010. This ranking will only add to the competition.
However, one advantage for the Gophers is football coach Tim Brewster has told Henderson he can play basketball as well as football, and this is something a lot of football coaches will not allow. Brewster and Tubby Smith are going to be joint recruiting on any athlete who is good enough to play both.

The Gophers will have one next year in Bryant Allen. Allen scored 32 points for Maplewood (Mo.) Richmond Heights in its 73-58 Missouri Class 3A boys' basketball state quarterfinal victory over Charleston on Saturday. Allen helped his Blue Devils come back by scoring 20 points, including six three-pointers, in the second quarter.

Maplewood is 28-3 and is playing for its second consecutive state championship next weekend. Allen, a wide receiver, is expected to play basketball for the Gophers after football season is over.

Man, the U has a ton to offer this kid. Hopefully Tubby knocking on his door can have a great effect on him too!!

Tell the kid he can join the women's swim team if that is what he wants. Just get him here!

don't want to burst any bubbles...

If you read this in Sid's column, Beware! Need to see another source.

If you read this in Sid's column, Beware! Need to see another source.

he just said lamonte edwards was committing

and he had to apologize for saying gjere was committing

i love that sid says this

my thing is though.....i dont beleive henderson is big 10 caliber in basketball, and i thought i heard he was going to focus solely on football

this guy can set himself up for life playing football........i think he's a fool to play both

but if thats what gets him to the U.....then i'm all for it

Maybe the birdie told him that's what it takes to stay home and be a Gopher. So be it. The Brew is all ears.

Who knows. Maybe he will get sick of picking slivers from his butt at the far end of the bench but at least he will find out if he is good enough to play BT hoops. Then he can concentrate of football.

On the far side, he may become a stud for Tubby and say screw you to the Brew and concentrate on hoops.

I like how Tubby and the Brew are working together. Did Mason and Monson ever go there?

football season runs well into basketball season

tell me how it would work

the gopher football team played kansas on december 31 and opened the big 10 season against michigan state in basketball the same day

i dont see it at all

football season runs well into basketball season

tell me how it would work

the gopher football team played kansas on december 31 and opened the big 10 season against michigan state in basketball the same day

i dont see it at all

There are ways to get it done, it just takes cooperation from both coaches. Deion Sanders played an abridged baseball season while he was full time with the Falcons, etc. Here, I think Henderson would play a full football season and probably an abridged basketball season.

He is very raw in basketball and doesn't even start every game.

Henderson & Basketball

"He is very raw in basketball and doesn't even start every game."

So, assuming he ends up getting a spot on the B-Ball team at the end of the bench, he'll be a good practice squad PF for the starters to bang against to get tough for the B10 season. He won't be taking a spot away from anyone who'll get PT, most likely, so what's the harm?

The only downside I see is the possibility of injury during B-Ball season.

The bowl season is allowed only 15 practice dates, so he can get acclimated to BB at that time. Every year on the BB team there will be a less of a negative impact from sharing time during December. And plus there will be gains from superior conditioning as well to maybe offset some losses in practice time. He'll contribute, even as others mentioned as practice squad.

I don't know how good he is at basketball, however, I do know how big he is. That being said, I want him playing for Tubby. Let him develop into a decent basketball player and maybe one day we will have a chance to compete against Michigan State on the hardwood. Because it's pretty frustrating watching these gophers avoid boxing out like it's their job. I'm assuming he would bring a physical presence to the court that we don't really have right now; Iverson and Sampson are soft.

This post would probably be better served on Tubby's board, my apologies.

Looks like Brew is pulling out all the stops to entice Seantrel Henderson. I like it! The following is from Sid's column today.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/41294407.html?page=2&c=y

Recruiting cooperation

There already was lot of competition for the Gophers in recruiting of Cretin- Derham Hall football and basketball star Seantrel Henderson before Rivals.com declared him the No. 1 recruit in the country for the Class of 2010. This ranking will only add to the competition.
However, one advantage for the Gophers is football coach Tim Brewster has told Henderson he can play basketball as well as football, and this is something a lot of football coaches will not allow. Brewster and Tubby Smith are going to be joint recruiting on any athlete who is good enough to play both.

The Gophers will have one next year in Bryant Allen. Allen scored 32 points for Maplewood (Mo.) Richmond Heights in its 73-58 Missouri Class 3A boys' basketball state quarterfinal victory over Charleston on Saturday. Allen helped his Blue Devils come back by scoring 20 points, including six three-pointers, in the second quarter.

Maplewood is 28-3 and is playing for its second consecutive state championship next weekend. Allen, a wide receiver, is expected to play basketball for the Gophers after football season is over.

Honestly, this shouldn't come as that big of a surprise. Henderson plays both and is quite the physical specimen. He is very raw in basketball, but Brewster has shown a willingness and even an encouragement for some of his players to play other sports if they wish to.

This possibility might tweak some interest for Henderson. I'm also glad that it shows a level of partnership between athletic programs on campus. Brewster also does this with coach Anderson and baseball (Decker and Gjere). All and all, I don't see any downside to this....:D

Chances are he won't even play in college, but the "opportunity" is where the key really is. A lot of guys just wanna hear that it is an option for them, whether it's a legitimate option or not. It can only help to have our coaches working with each other to try to bring the best athletes into the fold here at the U. I like it a lot.

Kool-Aid, you think Iverson is soft??? Better watch a game.

Yup, I do. I suppose I could watch a game and base my opinions my opinions on that from now on.

3.5 rebounds per game seems soft for a kid that size. I don't know about you, but I want a f*ckin pit bull on my sqaud. Someone who doesn't grab 2 rebounds against MSU last friday. Don't get me wrong, I like Colton and I think he's an OK player, but get your hands dirty son.

Yup, I do. I suppose I could watch a game and base my opinions my opinions on that from now on.

3.5 rebounds per game seems soft for a kid that size. I don't know about you, but I want a f*ckin pit bull on my sqaud. Someone who doesn't grab 2 rebounds against MSU last friday. Don't get me wrong, I like Colton and I think he's an OK player, but get your hands dirty son.

You do realize he only plays 17.8 minutes/game, don't you? If he gets 30-32 minutes a game, he's around 6.5 - 7 rebounds per game. That's not great but it's not bad neither.

I agree that this is a good move, whether or not Henderson comes to the U of M is beside the point. I doubt any of the other schools--especially USC and OSU--will offer that possibility.

USC can offer to give his parents a job with the staff and when he graduates or bolt for the NFL, the parents would all of a sudden see other opportunities somewhere else like how they do with all of their recruits.

Promise him everything!

Of course, if you check the number of players who have tried both football and hoops, they usually only try it for about a year. If they are a serious football player, they usually grow out of basketball in their size, due to time constraints, and due to the demands of being a student athlete. Two athletic seasons in one academic school year many times tends to put too much stress on attempting to stay on a pace for graduation that will satisfy the requirements set by the school, conference and NCAA.

One such player was Bob Bruggers from Danube, MN. He had one of the most amazing state tournament basketball games I have ever seen in a semifinal game playing for tiny Danube against a St. Louis Park team that went on to beat South St. Paul for the championship game back in the 1961-1962 school year. Bob Bruggers went on to the U of M and played for Murray and also played hoops for a year with Lou Hudson, Archie Clark and Don Yates, et al. for Johnny Kundla. He literally outgrew his basketball playing days as he became more entrenched as a starting defensive end on some pretty good Golden gopher Football Teams. He was quite an athlete though. He played a number of years in the NFL as a linebacker. After that he even gave pro-wrestling a shot. His wrestling career ended when he was involved in a plane crash while flying to a "wressling gig..." He suffered a broken back. On that same plane was another pro-wrestler who managed a bit of a comeback: Rick Flare (sp?) was also injured on that plane crash.

Bobby Bell tried hoops. Tony Dungy did as well. I also believe Ray Stephens did. It is always an attraction.

A few individuals have pulled it off, but usually the football wins out and is totally demanding in it's own right.

A freak speed rush DE like Julius Peppers is the obvious exception. Ron Curry, Charlie Ward examples are more likely as they quarterback both teams. I know this is a dumb thing to say, but does Henderson have DE potential? (I not suggesting anything, I just don't anything about him except he is awesome at OL). I would just think that if he wanted to play both he would need to develop into that type of physique.

Thanks for reminding me about Ray Stephens. He was a tremendous athlete who played some forward for the Gopher BB team. He was about 6-3, but he had some big-time hops.

Top Bottom