Brew: "I have no interest in any other job..."

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
This was just posted on Shama's site:

Link: http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Content:

Brewster Not Interested in Kansas Job or Others

Gophers football coach Tim Brewster addressed rumors about his interest in the Kansas football coaching vacancy this afternoon.

“I have had no contact regarding the position,” Brewster told Sports Headliners. “I haven’t spoken to anybody. I have no interest in any other job besides the University of Minnesota.”

In answering questions about how the rumors may have started, Brewster said it wasn’t possible that anyone representing him officially or as a friend might have contacted Kansas officials without his knowledge. Yesterday published stories linked the Gophers coach with the Kansas position which opened recently with the firing coach Mark Mangino.

Brewster has two years remaining on his contract and he wants to build the Gophers into a Big Ten champion. Brewster said today that he and Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi have discussed the topic of a contract extension but didn’t reveal details or timing.

The rumors of Brewster being a candidate for the vacancy at Kansas added an unwelcome element to the Gophers football situation. Concern No. 1 is the negative impact on recruiting. A question about who will be the head coach is a sure way to cause recruits to lose interest. This month the Gophers and other football programs are heavily involved with recruiting high school and junior college players for next season.

Brewster’s commitment to Minnesota will also encourage his supporters who have been confused by the rumors. They see Brewster as a dedicated coach and recruiter trying to rebuild a program that for years hasn’t been able to win even half of its Big Ten Conference games.

The Gophers football team is scheduled to begin practice for its Insight Bowl game this afternoon. Tomorrow a news conference with bowl representatives is to be held on campus to help promote the December 31 game in Tempe, Arizona between Minnesota and Iowa State.

The Gophers finished their regular season at 6-6. A win over Iowa State would give Minnesota a 7-6 record, the same as last year.

Maturi steps in to say something utterly stupid in 3....2....1....

Good for him!:clap:

Though they'll be a lot of posts saying "he's lying". :(

These type of comments usually precede Lucy pulling the football from underneath you.

Two good columns from Shama today and great work on the update with quotes from Brew.

Now we can move on and bring home Seantrel and Allen!!

Go Gophers!!

I'm not saying he's lying per se, but if he had nothing to do with any of this, he could have come out very cleary yesterday and said so, and you wouldn't have had Maturi's quotes in today's papers. Maturi basically said that this has occured, so Brew denying it now, doesn't mean anything other then he now knows he's not going there and is back to being '100% committed' to MN.

I'm not saying he's lying per se, but if he had nothing to do with any of this, he could have come out very cleary yesterday and said so, and you wouldn't have had Maturi's quotes in today's papers. Maturi basically said that this has occured, so Brew denying it now, doesn't mean anything other then he now knows he's not going there and is back to being '100% committed' to MN.

"Et tu, Brute"?

"Et tu, Brute"?

I'll clarify. Either he handled the situation very badly both with Maturi and the media or he's lying. It could very well be the former, but it still stinks.

Two good columns from Shama today and great work on the update with quotes from Brew.

Now we can move on and bring home Seantrel and Allen!!

Go Gophers!!

I agree with you Bleed...........BUT, BUt, But, but... It's a lot more fun to read the comments from the GopherHolers. :)

I'm gonna give both Brew and Maturi the benefit of the doubt here. Just because people were calling Maturi regarding rumors pertaining to the KU situation doesn't mean that Brewster or "his people" had anything to do with creating or perpetuating those rumors.

I like to presume people are honest. I'm funny that way.

i love how many of the brewster haters here completely ignore the very real possibility that this was nothing more than a drummed up story by some of the brewster-haters (one of them posts on this board rather frequently and his first name rhymes with loogie) in the local media who desperately want to see him go and will stop at nothing to constantly try and put brewster, maturi and the U at odds with each other to make it happen.

meanwhile their petulant act makes brewster, maturi and the U of M all look bad. no winners here except some smarmy media blowhards (reusse, souhan, loogie, etc, etc.) and a wanna-be drive-time sports talk host (barreiro).

I'll clarify. Either he handled the situation very badly both with Maturi nd the media or he's lying. It could very well be the former, but it still stinks.

If I may suggest a third possibility. There really wasn't anything to the rumors but Brewster could have spent his time today calling committed recruits and potential recruits assuring them their that there was no truth to the rumor. Then he could have gotten ready for today's practice and news conference.

There he could address the media as a whole rather then try and put out fires or talk individually with people who may not have his best interest at heart.

Just a suggestion.

:)

i love how many of the brewster haters here completely ignore the very real possibility that this was nothing more than a drummed up story by some of the brewster-haters (one of them posts on this board rather frequently and his first name rhymes with loogie) in the local media who desperately want to see him go and will stop at nothing to constantly try and put brewster, maturi and the U at odds with each other to make it happen.

meanwhile their petulant act makes brewster, maturi and the U of M all look bad. no winners here except some smarmy media blowhards (reusse, souhan, loogie, etc, etc.) and a wanna-be drive-time sports talk host (barreiro).

Maturi willingly gave the quotes to the Marcus Fuller at the Pioneer Press, how is that the media making things up?

Iceland...How do you know he didn't? Just asking.

Why is it so hard to believe that brew had nothing to do with these rumours? I think we got his name from a search firm, so maybe Kansas also got his name from a search firm as well. Last time I heard, you give the search firm info on what you're looking for and they come back to you with a list of names. If his name was on the list, obviously, Kansas might think about looking into it. If it was the same search firm that the U used, maybe the search firm would be considered "friends" of Brew since they got him his last job.

On the Maturi aspect: He is only stating what he knows. He cannot guarantee that Brewster will not take another job. The only person who has control over that is Brewster. Therefore, asking Maturi to comment on Brew taking another job makes no sense. Sure, it'll give you a comment to write/report on, but it's not really getting to the heart of the matter or answering any questions. Maturi doesn't know for sure, he can only go by what brew tells him.

The issue here is that if he doesn't say anything, he's screwed because people take that to mean Brew's gone. If he guarantee's Brew's staying and brew bolts, he looks like a liar. I find it very hard for Maturi to come out looking good either way as it's a bad postion forced on him by the media.

If I may suggest a third possibility. There really wasn't anything to the rumors but Brewster could have spent his time today calling committed recruits and potential recruits assuring them their that there was no truth to the rumor. Then he could have gotten ready for today's practice and news conference.

There he could address the media as a whole rather then try and put out fires or talk individually with people who may not have his best interest at heart.

Just a suggestion.

:)

Maturi's comments in the Pioneer Press strongly suggest there was something to the rumors and that he let Brew know he was not pleased. If in fact, there was nothing to the rumors, then Maturi is the one who handled this very badly.

Maturi's comments in the Pioneer Press strongly suggest there was something to the rumors and that he let Brew know he was not pleased. If in fact, there was nothing to the rumors, then Maturi is the one who handled this very badly.

You might be on to something here. Undoubtedly, Maturi heard rumors, most likely calls from the press to the AD office. But then he poured fuel on the embers and fanned the flames by bringing up the subject with a reporter that had called regarding something else. Not only did Maturi bring up the subject, he proceeded to say some rather off the cuff remarks in an unsupportive tone regarding Brewster. Maturi's remarks seemed unprepared, so he should never have brought the subject up in the first place. Just another example of Maturi not being up to the job.

You might be on to something here. Undoubtedly, Maturi heard rumors, most likely calls from the press to the AD office. But then he poured fuel on the embers and fanned the flames by bringing up the subject with a reporter that had called regarding something else. Not only did Maturi bring up the subject, he proceeded to say some rather off the cuff remarks in an unsupportive tone regarding Brewster. Maturi's remarks seemed unprepared, so he should never have brought the subject up in the first place. Just another example of Maturi not being up to the job.

I have to add that in additon to Maturi's quotes, the fact that Joe Shad supposedly indicated Brewster is one of the 4 finalists suggests there was substance to the rumors. Not that ESPN is always accurate, but if this was nothing more then a search firm innocently raising his name, it wouldn't have had this much legs. You don't make it to the final 4 candidates without having spoken to them. Therefore, it seems far more likely to me that Brew is hiding behind 'I've never had any contact' type quotes which is probably technically accurate but not really the truth. Tubby never had any contact with MN until the day before he was hired. That doesn't mean the groundwork wasn't 90% done.

Brewster is not a home run candidate like Tubby was, and 90% of the work wouldn't be done prior to him meeting with KU. Other than that, you make fair points.

I have to add that in additon to Maturi's quotes, the fact that Joe Shad supposedly indicated Brewster is one of the 4 finalists suggests there was substance to the rumors. Not that ESPN is always accurate, but if this was nothing more then a search firm innocently raising his name, it wouldn't have had this much legs. You don't make it to the final 4 candidates without having spoken to them. Therefore, it seems far more likely to me that Brew is hiding behind 'I've never had any contact' type quotes which is probably technically accurate but not really the truth. Tubby never had any contact with MN until the day before he was hired. That doesn't mean the groundwork wasn't 90% done.

Yes, that's a very possible scenario. We probably won't know the truth until someone from Kansas leaks something. Apparently, Lew Perkins (Kansas AD) sent out a memo to his boosters that said some of the rumored names for the job were not being considered. It would be interesting to know if Brew's name was on the that list.

I think that ESPN is speculating almost as much as we are, so I take their final 4 list with a grain of salt.

Yes, that's a very possible scenario. We probably won't know the truth until someone from Kansas leaks something. Apparently, Lew Perkins (Kansas AD) sent out a memo to his boosters that said some of the rumored names for the job were not being considered. It would be interesting to know if Brew's name was on the that list.

I think that ESPN is speculating almost as much as we are, so I take their final 4 list with a grain of salt.

I dont' disagree. Maturi's comments are far more telling then the ESPN thing. Maturi's not stupid, he knows the difference between an innocent 'his name was raised' rumor and serious 'he's openly campaigning himself' or 'they're really serious and want to talk to him' rumor. If it had been the former, he wouldn't have brought it up, or would have shot down any questions about it. Instead he raised the issue said things like 'I told Brewster I'm getting tired of all these Kansas rumors' and 'I haven't asked him directly about his interest because I know he wouldn't tell me anyway.' Those are awfully damning quotes that don't indicate this was just one idle and innocent rumor. If it was, then Maturi is indeed trying to throw Brewster under the bus.

In summary, either way, Humpty Dumpty is far too cracked to be put back together again, IMO. Yet somehow, I'm sure that's just what they'll try to portray as they delay the inevitable for one more season.

When I first heard the rumor, I thought it had legs. Brewster's rep here may not be universally shared. We just don't know what goes on in other programs.

I still think some folks from the University of Texas sent out a feeler to Perkins at some point.

I dont' disagree. Maturi's comments are far more telling then the ESPN thing. Maturi's not stupid, he knows the difference between an innocent 'his name was raised' rumor and serious 'he's openly campaigning himself' or 'they're really serious and want to talk to him' rumor. If it had been the former, he wouldn't have brought it up, or would have shot down any questions about it. Instead he raised the issue said things like 'I told Brewster I'm getting tired of all these Kansas rumors' and 'I haven't asked him directly about his interest because I know he wouldn't tell me anyway.' Those are awfully damning quotes that don't indicate this was just one idle and innocent rumor. If it was, then Maturi is indeed trying to throw Brewster under the bus.

In summary, either way, Humpty Dumpty is far too cracked to be put back together again, IMO. Yet somehow, I'm sure that's just what they'll try to portray as they delay the inevitable for one more season.

When I read the piece, I thought Maturi was making a joke to Brewster about the Kansas rumors.

Except if you read the WHOLE section Brewster doesn't just make that technical claim.

"“I have had no contact regarding the position,” Brewster told Sports Headliners. “I haven’t spoken to anybody. I have no interest in any other job besides the University of Minnesota.”

In answering questions about how the rumors may have started, Brewster said it wasn’t possible that anyone representing him officially or as a friend might have contacted Kansas officials without his knowledge. "

In other words he didn't know anything about it.

Maturi's note aside, now you're just making stuff up rather then admit that it's just as possible that the people who believed this stuff were fools who took everything in hook line and sinker? :eek:

The beauty of all this massive back pedaling is a lot of it is coming from people who stated;

"Kansas COULDN'T be interested in Brewster" or better yet "Why doesn't he come out any DENY it"

Maybe because there are a lot of people without the stones to just say "I was taken in" or worse yet "I was wrong". Something those same people can't stop demanding of others.:banghead:

Or better yet it would make no difference to the people who just want Brewster gone.

Who are the real bull crap artists in this story?

When I read the piece, I thought Maturi was making a joke to Brewster about the Kansas rumors.

That is how I read it as well. He even said the sentence before that he had not talked to anyone about the Kansas situation.

Except if you read the WHOLE section Brewster doesn't just make that technical claim.

"“I have had no contact regarding the position,” Brewster told Sports Headliners. “I haven’t spoken to anybody. I have no interest in any other job besides the University of Minnesota.”

In answering questions about how the rumors may have started, Brewster said it wasn’t possible that anyone representing him officially or as a friend might have contacted Kansas officials without his knowledge. "

In other words he didn't know anything about it.

Maturi's note aside, now you're just making stuff up rather then admit that it's just as possible that the people who believed this stuff were fools who took everything in hook line and sinker? :eek:

The beauty of all this massive back pedaling is a lot of it is coming from people who stated;

"Kansas COULDN'T be interested in Brewster" or better yet "Why doesn't he come out any DENY it"

Maybe because there are a lot of people without the stones to just say "I was taken in" or worse yet "I was wrong". Something those same people can't stop demanding of others.:banghead:

Or better yet it would make no difference to the people who just want Brewster gone.

Who are the real bull crap artists in this story?

I'm not trying to make anything up. I take Brewster's entire quote to be the same coach-speak anyone would give in his situation. That doesn't mean it's not true of course.

But I find it quite unlikely that this entire episode had no merit whatsoever and was based on a couple of false rumors. If it is, then Brewster, Maturi and the U did a horrible job of managing it. It shouldn't have gotten to the point where the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press had to write articles quoting what seemed to be a ticked off AD who was indifferent to the fact that his coach might leave, as well as articles in the Kansas City Star and ESPN saying he's one of 4 finalists. You want to believe that all of that came from an innocent rumor that had no basis? You go right ahead. I am not convinced.

I'm not trying to make anything up. I take Brewster's entire quote to be the same coach-speak anyone would give in his situation. That doesn't mean it's not true of course.

But I find it quite unlikely that this entire episode had no merit whatsoever and was based on a couple of false rumors. If it is, then Brewster, Maturi and the U did a horrible job of managing it. It shouldn't have gotten to the point where the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press had to write articles quoting what seemed to be a ticked off AD who was indifferent to the fact that his coach might leave, as well as articles in the Kansas City Star and ESPN saying he's one of 4 finalists. You want to believe that all of that came from an innocent rumor that had no basis? You go right ahead. I am not convinced.

Every year in nearly every sport completely unsubstantiated rumors float around. NBA trades and College Head Coaching jobs seem to be chief among them. A very, very small percentage turn out to have any substance at all. Some writers specialize in just making them up. Many people buy into them. I don't. That approach the vast majority of the time seems to work.

I have no reason to believe that Kansas was interested in hiring Brewster or that he's lying about it now. You seem to disagree with both of those options.

To each his own.

Every year in nearly every sport completely unsubstantiated rumors float around. NBA trades and College Head Coaching jobs seem to be chief among them. A very, very small percentage turn out to have any substance at all. Some writers specialize in just making them up. Many people buy into them. I don't. That approach the vast majority of the time seems to work.

I have no reason to believe that Kansas was interested in hiring Brewster or that he's lying about it now. You seem to disagree with both of those options.

To each his own.

How does it float back to Maturi to the point where he needs to address it with the media. This would have been a non-story without Maturi going to Fuller to spread the "rumor".

Top Bottom