Brew Haters Aren't Realistic!!!

lakesgopher

Reaction score
I'm still trying to understand why these "fire brew" people are coming out the woodwork?

If you believed winning the big ten this season with the seniors we have was possible-you took the Rose Bowl aspirations to an extreme!
-with the exception of decker, the rest are pretty average with a few I would consider good!

Some believe things like," some coaches have turned around programs faster the brew!"
-what coach took a program over that was in the shape of ours and turned it into a contender in 2 &1/2 years? brew came into a whole roster of below average kids...he has had 2 recruiting classes, this isn't Florida, if Meyer left a new coach would walk into that program with all 4-5 star kids...mason left brew walk ons and half stars! this isn't a 2-4 year fix, this is a 5-6 year rebuilding process, I like the fact we have added a lot of depth and speed-our strength program is very good and we have yet to see what brews kids can do!

weber played damn well in the first half yesterday. he looked comfortable and he was accurate. the wide recievers didn't help him out at all! especially after decker came off the field-but I would attribute that to weber force feeding decker all the time-the other recievers looked shocked when the ball came their way!
-i never wanted gray in the mix until he is ready! yesterday made me believe he is damn close if he's not ready yet. I think gray needs to play because I really believe brew already knows after this season weber will be nothing more than a back up!

these are just a few of my thoughts...im not going to be all about firing a coach asap due to non realistic expectations! and brew put these ideas out there because he is trying to change a losing attitude. he has to say things like that. if he came out and said "we have a great group of seniors who just aren't that talented, we are a 6-7 win team with a much better schedule!" you negative nancy's would be screaming for his head as well!
SOME OF YOU BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT EVERYTHING-RELAX!!!

0-8
3-5
2-6 (4-4) (See what happens the rest of the year.)

With the new statium you can't let 2-6 happen. He is on a short leash. If 2-6 happens he won't be back for long, one year at most without huge improvement.

I think people are more nervous about the fact that Brewster has never been a Head Coach before and it's *REALLY* starting to show.......

I think it's more along the lines of people being uncomfortable saying "give him more time" when he's clearly showing no signs of being a decent coach at all. It's not like we hired a HC with a history, we're pretty much Brewster's "Guinea Pigs" as far as football and maybe to some it's not fair. It's too many signs showing that Brewster simply might not know what he's doing as a Coach.......

I hate to say it but at this point it is pretty clear that Mason was a better coach then Brewster which isn't saying much but maybe Maturi should've just hired a HC with some real experience instead of letting the Gophers become an experiment. It's a lot of fundamentals & basics in football that Brewster can't seem to get right & one of the biggest problems in my opinion is that he has not shown he can Coach up the talent he has. Hopefully Gray can change that since he's Brewster's main "knockout" Recruit.......

I think Brewster will be okay the rest of the year *IF* he let's Gray stay on the field and make things happen because Brew's crush on Weber & refusal to bench him despite benching everybody else for nearly any mistake justifies concern. Weber has hurt the team too many times this year. He always gets credits for "comebacks" in games we should've never been trailing to begin with. At least Zook had the balls to bench Juice & at least Illini fans got to see that their other QB's were not better then Juice so they don't have to wonder but sitting back and keeping in a QB who time & time again is killing the team when you have one of the highest rated QB's just sitting on the bench shows how you lack the balls to do what's necessary to win.

And the excuse that Gray doesn't know the playbook is stupid...good Coaches can simplify schemes to fit players...I hate to say it but all these NFL Type Coaches are not what's right for College Football sometimes. Everett Withers was a bust because he tried to do too many things with the Defense & all it did was confuse the hell out of them and Fisch is starting to become the Offensive version of Withers, see a pattern? NFL Type Coach...NFL Type DC...now NFL Type OC...and all 3 cases are/were struggling at the college level.

I'm not agreeing with the "Fire Brewster" crowd but at this point I do not believe he is that good of a Head Coach in the least.......

hats off to thailleagle

I agree with everything thailleagle said. I would add that Brew is too conservative, his teams rarely make comebacks, he has yet to win a game he wasn't expected to win. Not even close. His teams don't come out fired up...ever. His pep talks are b.s.

BUT I heard an intrerview with Gary Patterson yesterday and he wasn't inspiring so it must be more than just good b.s. that wins games. Whatever it is, Brew doesn't have it.

Whether you think Brewster should be back next year or not there is no way that Maturi could get rid of him after three years. How is he going to sell the job to another coach after giving Brew only three years, in which at least one we made it to a bowl game? Nobody with any credentials would even look at the job.

Brew should get two more years. He has recruited some talented players. Personally I would like to see those players have a chance to develop some more before giving up on him. Obviously mistakes need to be cleaned up going forward. Hopefully that process will start returning home next week.

5-7 this year and a similar record and performance next year and I guarantee you, he will be gone. No more "we play in the metrodome" and "our U president is not committed to football" excuses. This team will not beat Michigan state, so it better find a way to win the Illinois and SDSU games.

I agree with everything thailleagle said. I would add that Brew is too conservative, his teams rarely make comebacks, he has yet to win a game he wasn't expected to win. Not even close. His teams don't come out fired up...ever. His pep talks are b.s.

He has yet to win a game he wasn't expected to? I recall last year in Bowling Green the Gophers were underdogs, and I pretty much saw all predictions for a loss there. We end up winning 42-17. We were FAR from expected to win in Illinois, 12 point dogs I believe. We won. If Dandridge makes that pick against Cal, who knows what happens. If that pass doesn't go off Decker's hands and get returned, who knows what happens? Yes, he doesn't have a ranked win yet, but this is something going back to before Brewster even got there. To my knowledge, the last time we beat a ranked team was #21 Michigan back in 2005. 0-12 since then, 0-6 under Brewster. To me, that's an indictment on the talent here, not just simply coaching. And we were hardly competitive in many of those games. We have long sucked against ranked teams because we just aren't good enough. Would it be nice if he won one? Yeah, sure, but to me what's the point of getting one big win, and then be average the rest of the year? I want a team that's consistently in the mix with ranked teams, something we haven't been since like 2003.

Almost the entire country can see that we lack the talent to be competitive with the big dogs. That's why most national people are complimentary of Brewster and the job he's done here outside of the local area. We have maroon and gold colored glasses about the talent here. It's not good enough people, that's just the way it is. It is getting better though.

Those who say Brewster is not as good a coach as Mase should remember a couple of things. First, Mase was a good offensive coach. Brewster has already shown he can out coach Mase defensively. On offense, in Brews first recruiting class 08, he looked and saw that we had some young OL players as freshmen such as Davis, Alford, etc. If you look Brew did not recruit OL that class. A mistake. Last year he did and this year he really did. Good solid OL recruits. OL play takes time. Not 2.5 years. Mase got undersized OL recruits and taught them to cut block and zone block and it was effective. Did it lead to wins? No. Why? Defense.

Those that think Brewster should be winning right now better take a look at the last 3 recruiting classes of Mase. Also, look at the difference in experience between MN's OL and that of Iowa. Do you really think it is fair to compare the two? Honestly? MN has a 3rd string center who replaced a walk-on, a Juco, a transfer and a couple of Mase recruits. Iowa's front Ol has 4 years average time playing together in one system. All redshirted except Bulaga.

The expectations of people on this board continue to amaze me. It has been since 1973 that Mn has won 6 Big Ten games. 43 years since a Big Ten title. Damn that Brewster for not turning it around in 2.5 years. Give me a break. Those without patience want to make changes and set the program back yet again. Just nuts. Who do you think it going to come in here?

Those who say Brewster is not as good a coach as Mase should remember a couple of things. First, Mase was a good offensive coach. Brewster has already shown he can out coach Mase defensively. On offense, in Brews first recruiting class 08, he looked and saw that we had some young OL players as freshmen such as Davis, Alford, etc. If you look Brew did not recruit OL that class. A mistake. Last year he did and this year he really did. Good solid OL recruits. OL play takes time. Not 2.5 years. Mase got undersized OL recruits and taught them to cut block and zone block and it was effective. Did it lead to wins? No. Why? Defense.

Those that think Brewster should be winning right now better take a look at the last 3 recruiting classes of Mase. Also, look at the difference in experience between MN's OL and that of Iowa. Do you really think it is fair to compare the two? Honestly? MN has a 3rd string center who replaced a walk-on, a Juco, a transfer and a couple of Mase recruits. Iowa's front Ol has 4 years average time playing together in one system. All redshirted except Bulaga.

The expectations of people on this board continue to amaze me. It has been since 1973 that Mn has won 6 Big Ten games. 43 years since a Big Ten title. Damn that Brewster for not turning it around in 2.5 years. Give me a break. Those without patience want to make changes and set the program back yet again. Just nuts. Who do you think it going to come in here?

Great Post!!!

Those who say Brewster is not as good a coach as Mase should remember a couple of things. First, Mase was a good offensive coach. Brewster has already shown he can out coach Mase defensively.

Ted Roof could outcoach Mason defensively. Last time I checked, he bailed.

I'd be more concerned if Brewster was fired, than if he stayed.

I'm still trying to understand why these "fire brew" people are coming out the woodwork?

If you believed winning the big ten this season with the seniors we have was possible-you took the Rose Bowl aspirations to an extreme!
-with the exception of decker, the rest are pretty average with a few I would consider good!

Some believe things like," some coaches have turned around programs faster the brew!"
-what coach took a program over that was in the shape of ours and turned it into a contender in 2 &1/2 years? brew came into a whole roster of below average kids...he has had 2 recruiting classes, this isn't Florida, if Meyer left a new coach would walk into that program with all 4-5 star kids...mason left brew walk ons and half stars! this isn't a 2-4 year fix, this is a 5-6 year rebuilding process, I like the fact we have added a lot of depth and speed-our strength program is very good and we have yet to see what brews kids can do!

weber played damn well in the first half yesterday. he looked comfortable and he was accurate. the wide recievers didn't help him out at all! especially after decker came off the field-but I would attribute that to weber force feeding decker all the time-the other recievers looked shocked when the ball came their way!
-i never wanted gray in the mix until he is ready! yesterday made me believe he is damn close if he's not ready yet. I think gray needs to play because I really believe brew already knows after this season weber will be nothing more than a back up!

these are just a few of my thoughts...im not going to be all about firing a coach asap due to non realistic expectations! and brew put these ideas out there because he is trying to change a losing attitude. he has to say things like that. if he came out and said "we have a great group of seniors who just aren't that talented, we are a 6-7 win team with a much better schedule!" you negative nancy's would be screaming for his head as well!
SOME OF YOU BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT EVERYTHING-RELAX!!!

What coach took over a bowl team to a 1-11 record the next (very easily could have been 0-12)? Why shouldn't their be expected improvement on a team with so many returning starters in a down league? There's a lot more concern here than just winning the Big 10. Give him the the end of the year. Don't be afraid to hook him after that.

Great Post!!!

It amazes me how so many people with so little coaching experence know so much. It must be all the Madden players who are able to dominate their league on the easy level that think they can analyze who is a good coach and who is not. It is beyond stupid that people actually think they know more than coaches that have spent their life doing this work. Can you imagine if so called "fans" were around to evaluate doctors, nurses, teachers, scientists,etc? Can't people just enjoy college football without commenting and adding fuel to a fire that shouldn't even be burning.

What coach took over a bowl team to a 1-11 record the next (very easily could have been 0-12)? Why shouldn't their be expected improvement on a team with so many returning starters in a down league? There's a lot more concern here than just winning the Big 10. Give him the the end of the year. Don't be afraid to hook him after that.

if I remember correctly their was quite a bit of turnover when brew took over! I believe our best defensive player was charged with rape. and if I remember we had a true freshman at qb. we were undersized and very slow on defense! I remember nobody wanting to come to minnesota and no one talking about gopher football other then how gross of a loss to texas tech it was in that bowl game. you idiots get a new stadium and now believe we are ohio st? we have been a mediocre program since the late 60's and your not willing to give brew anything more then 3 years? wow, if I was a coach I would be jumping to take over that job, knowing that if you don't produce in 3 years your fired and labeled a bad coach! this fire brew/bench weber group are the same people that think when we win we are en route to pasedena, but when we lose we need to fire everyone and riot in the street. this isn't the nfl-we don't have free agency-it takes time to develop a program 2-3 years from now if we are the same team then I agree we look for a new general to lead the troops!

I think people are more nervous about the fact that Brewster has never been a Head Coach before and it's *REALLY* starting to show.......

I'm not agreeing with the "Fire Brewster" crowd but at this point I do not believe he is that good of a Head Coach in the least.......

What is the importance of being a head coach before? and what isn't Brewster doing that you believe a good coach should be doing?

A head coach needs to recruit and stand on the sidelines and give a halftime pep talk and that is about it. Brewster is doing all of those things and the great athletes love him and in time those great athletes will win games thus making Brewster a good head coach. Athletes win games not coaches.

What is the importance of being a head coach before? and what isn't Brewster doing that you believe a good coach should be doing?

A head coach needs to recruit and stand on the sidelines and give a halftime pep talk and that is about it. Brewster is doing all of those things and the great athletes love him and in time those great athletes will win games thus making Brewster a good head coach. Athletes win games not coaches.

Because he had no History.......

By the end of his regime he could become one of the most wasted hires in history or he could turn out to be a good coach. Even Wacker had a history of being a good coach but he just couldn't get the job done, with Brewster this was such a risk considering the New Stadium and letting go the 2nd most achieving coach Minnesota has had in a looooooong time that it might come back to bite Maturi in the ass.

You've filled out a Job Resume before correct? What do you think Brewster's looked like compared to the other HC Candidates at the time?

finally some rational thinking on this site. There are a lot of morons here who do not understand talent and the importance of it. Partially because we have never had talent here before.

Brewsters resume was filled with NFL experience with some top Coaches and years and years of experience with a great College Coach. National media and recruiting loved the hire. I think that is a pretty good resume.

Brewsters resume was filled with NFL experience with some top Coaches and years and years of experience with a great College Coach. National media and recruiting loved the hire. I think that is a pretty good resume.

Okay...wut about HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE?

How many 5-7's or 7-5's before the talent shows?

His first recruiting class needs to become seniors, so probably 2011 when we compete for the Big ten title and reach January 1 bowl game. Before then the W's don't mean as much as the recruiting.

BUT I heard an intrerview with Gary Patterson yesterday and he wasn't inspiring so it must be more than just good b.s. that wins games. Whatever it is, Brew doesn't have it.

I don't think anyone EXPECTED them to win @ Illinois last year.

I don't think anyone EXPECTED them to win @ Illinois last year.

Their ending record showed they weren't that good so I definitely don't count that.......

1999...nobody expected Minnesota to beat PSU...*THAT* is the type of "W" people are talking about........

who the hell cares about head coaching experience? At some point in time everybody had their first head coach job. Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden had their first jobs once and turned out to be pretty good coaches and people like you were probably bitching about their lack of head coach experience and would never hire either of them.

who the hell cares about head coaching experience? At some point in time everybody had their first head coach job. Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden had their first jobs once and turned out to be pretty good coaches and people like you were probably bitching about their lack of head coach experience and would never hire either of them.

True but considering the situation at Minnesota at the time taking a risk might not have been the best idea, you can at least agree with that can you?

Top Bottom