Brew gets a title upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt Kill have to tell his D Linemen to forget everything they had been tought by the privious group? Or did I dream that?

Didnt Kill have to tell his D Linemen to forget everything they had been tought by the privious group? Or did I dream that?

Every coach thinks their way of doing things is the best and only way....that is just typical coach speak and not a sign that the players were getting bad coaching. I would not read into comments like that.

Terrific stuff...and have you seen Kirstie in Woody Allen's "Deconstructing Harry"? Best loss of temper scene in decades.

I'm somewhat surprised by the lack of personal insults and attacks on Brewster's character in this thread. His first season as head coach here was my first season following the team in any capacity, so I think he'll be sort of special to me in that regard. Glad to see him succeeding and moving up, even if only a little bit. I wish him nothing but the best, and I hope he does get that victory over Bielema that he's been wanting!

I'm somewhat surprised by the lack of personal insults and attacks on Brewster's character in this thread. His first season as head coach here was my first season following the team in any capacity, so I think he'll be sort of special to me in that regard. Glad to see him succeeding and moving up, even if only a little bit. I wish him nothing but the best, and I hope he does get that victory over Bielema that he's been wanting!

I feel like there has been a lot of Brew defending over the last couple of years and that has squashed some of the bashing. No one thinks he was a great coach, but he single handily brought back some positive vibes for this program. He got people excited again. Mason was a better coach by a mile, but he did nothing in regard to hope for better days ahead. That is part of the job whether people like it or not.

I feel like there has been a lot of Brew defending over the last couple of years and that has squashed some of the bashing. No one thinks he was a great coach, but he single handily brought back some positive vibes for this program. He got people excited again. Mason was a better coach by a mile, but he did nothing in regard to hope for better days ahead. That is part of the job whether people like it or not.

True, held out hope that he could become a Head Coach up until the Non-Conference games of that last year. He had a plan, had experience and talent in his Assistants in his first year. Then, after that disaster they started leaving and it all went bad. His constant changing of "philosophies" followed by the bewildering stubbornness to stay with a BAD system that last year and a half was mind boggling. Looking back though, it's probably "us" more than it was him. If we took it to heart when we look at the Gopher's last 40 years, we'd see what a monumental task it will be to turn things around.

Our competitors say it all the time. Except for a few years under Mason and the 2nd year under Holtz, the National Commentators hit that drum all the time too. Mason himself said it again and again. His last year he was talking about what a "major rebuilding process" was ahead. Kill and Company also have said it. They didn't STOP saying it those first few weeks. Brewster to his credit didn't. Even after he was fired, the closest he came to talking that way was when he said that getting Southern kids to MSU would be easier than getting them up here. Seems reasonable doesn't it? Yet here and at GI we had plenty of people pissed off about it.

You know why that happened and why it's more "us" than the Coaches? Because if we were rational about the Gophers we NEVER would have held our belief that it can be turned around AND our Season Tickets as long as we have.

Here's to a finding a few thousand more irrational Gopher Fans! :drink:

I agree, I think he'll end up doing a really nice job somewhere, maybe even as a head coach. He has something that can't be learned. He gets people to like him, the players and other coaches. That's quite a big part of it. People can call him a snake oil salesman, granted, they'll do it without a single shred of him being fraudulent. He was wrong a lot, but I really believe he meant what he said. He wanted to put us on the map, he scheduled Texas, North Carolina and USC. I disagree with that way of building a team, but you can't say that his confidence was fake.

Someone who is wrong is not a "snake oil salesman", someone who doesn't believe what they're saying is the "snake oil salesman".

Eventually, I think all of his mistakes here are fixable. You can learn to build a staff, you can realize the error of your recruiting (not worrying about attrition and neglecting OL), but you can't teach some of the things he has. I think he'll eventually get another HC job and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him be successful.

Brew will get another chance and he will be successful. At Minnesota he was a victim of inexperience and an idiot AD. Brew had figured it put but he ran out of time.

As far as the snake oil salesman comments....That would be the current coach to a capital T. Brew was a genuine and caring person/coach. I get that certain personalities can rub folks differently but if a person claims they don't like people who aren't genuine but then claim they like Jer......?

I think what people are really saying is they like winners and don't like losers for a coach....they just lose me when they start assigning folks undeserved characteristics to justify their like are dislike.

Brew will get another chance and he will be successful. At Minnesota he was a victim of inexperience and an idiot AD. Brew had figured it put but he ran out of time.

As far as the snake oil salesman comments....That would be the current coach to a capital T. Brew was a genuine and caring person/coach. I get that certain personalities can rub folks differently but if a person claims they don't like people who aren't genuine but then claim they like Jer......?

I think what people are really saying is they like winners and don't like losers for a coach....they just lose me when they start assigning folks undeserved characteristics to justify their like are dislike.

i really liked brewster and i truly think if he was still here he would have found success. to me brew seemed very genuine and cared about the entire state. i will always wish him success in the future. the guy made minnesota "cool" to the kids for a short time, something no other coach has done here.

There's that axe grinding away again.... Noticeably audible even from 2000 miles away.

I liked Brewster. I agree with tikited, he brought some enthusiasm back to the program, which was sorely. Under Mason, I think the fan base had become as apathetic as the man at the helm. Brew was a good coach, a very good coach. Just not prepared to be a head coach. He would still be coaching, and with some level of success, if he had just maintained some continuity in the coaching staff/scheme. Not many coaches can withstand a revolving door in the assistants office.

Here's hoping Brew does well in his current gig.

There's that axe grinding away again.... Noticeably audible even from 2000 miles away.

I liked Brewster. I agree with tikited, he brought some enthusiasm back to the program, which was sorely. Under Mason, I think the fan base had become as apathetic as the man at the helm. Brew was a good coach, a very good coach. Just not prepared to be a head coach. He would still be coaching, and with some level of success, if he had just maintained some continuity in the coaching staff/scheme. Not many coaches can withstand a revolving door in the assistants office.

Here's hoping Brew does well in his current gig.

What axe do I have to grind? I'm just being truthful. When his time has come and gone you'll see.

It was Maturi's responsibility to recognize the short comings of his hire and give him the tools to be successful....most importantly time. Brews demise was assured in his first two seasons. Maturi could have helped contractually with continuity in the coaching staff

You can see the experience of Kill that he isn't making the same mistakes. Ad when he does he is savy enough (nice way of sayng something else) to deflect blame.

What axe do I have to grind? I'm just being truthful. When his time has come and gone you'll see.

It was Maturi's responsibility to recognize the short comings of his hire and give him the tools to be successful....most importantly time. Brews demise was assured in his first two seasons. Maturi could have helped contractually with continuity in the coaching staff

You can see the experience of Kill that he isn't making the same mistakes. Ad when he does he is savy enough (nice way of sayng something else) to deflect blame.

How could the A.D. be responsible for Brewster losing his Assistant Coaches? The two he lost who were the most important to the program were Dunbar and Withers. Guys who Brewster said were part of the team that he "had been thinking about all along." Dunbar made $275,000 and Withers made $330,000. Those were, as strange as this is to say, very competitive salaries way back in 2007/2008. Brewster was responsible for wanting Dunbar out. That wasn't about money or Maturi. Disagreements with Dunbar and his "inflexibility" both in play calling and personality led to that departure. With the money that went to Mason and Monson, it's hard to believe that Maturi was happy about writing that "good bye check".

Withers was a North Carolina native who went back to North Carolina to be their Defensive Coordinator. How were "contractual" problems the main reason for that? Hard to believe that the Gophers wouldn't have won more games if both those guys had stayed. Can't see how contracts were the basis for them leaving.

http://bigredupdates.hivefire.com/articles/share/6078/

I understand your points. I'll make two comments.

First, you'll forgive me if I don't consider your perspective an impartial one, and I would/will put a lot more stake into what you've alluded to when there are MULTIPLE people making the same observations. That's not exclusive to you, I hold others to the same standards. Just like with Barker; if a half dozen players had made the same complaints over a short period of time, his allegations would have held more water. Perhaps with both, time will tell.

Second, many of the things/characteristics you've attributed to Coach Kill, the same can and have been said about virtually every single person that's ever held a position of significant authority. Snake oil salesman, two-faced, disengenuous, cold-hearted, sometimes takes actions that are more in the best interests of the organization than the individual, you name it. In short, show me a person who is responsible for a multi-million dollar operation, I'm sure I can find scores of people who spoke ill of them or made allegations against them at one point or another. It's a fact of life.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Personality and personal conduct aside, Kill will be more successful than Brew was because of continuity. I was against the hire at first, until I knew he was bringing his entire staff with him. Those that clamored for a big name coach like Belotti, even Peterson, et al; my thoughts were, what's the point, if they're not bringing with them many of the same people who helped them to be successful along the way?

I agree with your sentiments on Brew. But are you claiming Coach Kill is the 'snake oil salesman'?? Please tell me that I read your comment wrong, because if not, I'll call you out right now.

I agree with your sentiments on Brew. But are you claiming Coach Kill is the 'snake oil salesman'?? Please tell me that I read your comment wrong, because if not, I'll call you out right now.

Basically, Kim Royston isn't playing in the NFL and it's Coach Kill's fault. That pretty much sums up all of Sportsfan24's backhanded jabs at Kill.

I understand your points. I'll make two comments.

First, you'll forgive me if I don't consider your perspective an impartial one, and I would/will put a lot more stake into what you've alluded to when there are MULTIPLE people making the same observations. That's not exclusive to you, I hold others to the same standards. Just like with Barker; if a half dozen players had made the same complaints over a short period of time, his allegations would have held more water. Perhaps with both, time will tell.

Second, many of the things/characteristics you've attributed to Coach Kill, the same can and have been said about virtually every single person that's ever held a position of significant authority. Snake oil salesman, two-faced, disengenuous, cold-hearted, sometimes takes actions that are more in the best interests of the organization than the individual, you name it. In short, show me a person who is responsible for a
multi-million dollar operation, I'm sure I can find scores of people who spoke ill of them or made allegations against them at one point or another. It's a fact of life.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Personality and personal conduct aside, Kill will be more successful than Brew was because of continuity. I was against the hire at first, until I knew he was bringing his entire staff with him. Those that clamored for a big name coach like Belotti, even
Peterson, et al; my thoughts were, what's the point, if they're not bringing with them many of the same people who helped them to be successful along the way?

With one exception great points.

The exception? My impartiality. Shouldn't I be impartial TOWARD Jer? My son did start every game and from an individual standpoint had a very productive season. From what you know, I have no reason what so ever to be impartial AGAINST Kill. However; it's fair to say that based on what you have heard, AJ and I are the
exception and all is great.

I was against Maturi naming ANY person as coach because I believed as a lame duck AD he couldn't get the best candidates. I didn't see anyone with options taking a job that they would soon have a boss who didn't hire them and therefore wouldn't take heat if they needed to fire them.

Do I think Maturi failed? He hired the one coach in all of college football who is day to day on availability; you tell me. Take that out of the equation? I'm still not sure because I don't think our defensive scheme can work in the run oriented Big Ten. I also didn't think the gophers would make a bowl game this season, so what do i know? My point? My criticisms are just my honest feelings, nothing more, nothing less.

The other stuff you said was spot on. A coach makes a decision on who will start;
someone is happy as heck and somebody else is pissed off.

I love your detailed response.

Basically, Kim Royston isn't playing in the NFL and it's Coach Kill's fault. That pretty much sums up all of Sportsfan24's backhanded jabs at Kill.

What the hell would Kill have to do with Kim not playing in the NFL last season? Come on man, you can do better than that.....I hope.

What the hell would Kill have to do with Kim not playing in the NFL last season? Come on man, you can do better than that.....I hope.

If I had the desire and time I would search for the commit you made about Kill not being helpful in your son's NFL recruiting/evaluation process. You also said something in effect, as a part of this that Kill didn't care about his players and was only looking out for himself. So your comments and your agenda have never been that transparent.

What isn't clear though and what makes this so difficult to get a handle on this, is that you make all these innuendos. Then you make some excuse why can't say anymore. It is time for you to stop playing games and clearly state what your issue is with Kill. But I believe you won't because you seem to be more interested in playing games.

With one exception great points.

The exception? My impartiality. Shouldn't I be impartial TOWARD Jer? My son did start every game and from an individual standpoint had a very productive season. From what you know, I have no reason what so ever to be impartial AGAINST Kill. However; it's fair to say that based on what you have heard, AJ and I are the
exception and all is great.

I was against Maturi naming ANY person as coach because I believed as a lame duck AD he couldn't get the best candidates. I didn't see anyone with options taking a job that they would soon have a boss who didn't hire them and therefore wouldn't take heat if they needed to fire them.

Do I think Maturi failed? He hired the one coach in all of college football who is day to day on availability; you tell me. Take that out of the equation? I'm still not sure because I don't think our defensive scheme can work in the run oriented Big Ten. I also didn't think the gophers would make a bowl game this season, so what do i know? My point? My criticisms are just my honest feelings, nothing more, nothing less.

The other stuff you said was spot on. A coach makes a decision on who will start;
someone is happy as heck and somebody else is pissed off.

I love your detailed response.

Duly noted on the remark regarding impartiality. I could have definitely chosen a better way to reflect my thoughts, and at the end of the day, it's an assumption anyway, right?! I don't really know for sure what your experiences were.

One final note; I've never made any comments for or against Kill's character. I have no idea. Don't automatically assume that I think he's as flawless as some may think. I'm just saying I doubt he's substantially different than 90% of those that have walked in his shoes (been a HC in FBS) for 8-10 years or more. You and I have both been in and around a college football locker room/program more than most on here (you maybe more than myself perhaps, but not sure?) and those experiences have gone a long ways towards forming the opinions we have today. I'm sure they were very similar in some respects, and very different in others. Valuable experiences nonetheless.

Thanks for the exchange!! Always a good experience to try to see things from another person's perspective, I appreciate that!!

If I had the desire and time I would search for the commit you made about Kill not being helpful in your son's NFL recruiting/evaluation process. You also said something in effect, as a part of this that Kill didn't care about his players and was only looking out for himself. So your comments and your agenda have never been that transparent.

What isn't clear though and what makes this so difficult to get a handle on this, is that you make all these innuendos. Then you make some excuse why can't say anymore. It is time for you to stop playing games and clearly state what your issue is with Kill. But I believe you won't because you seem to be more interested in playing games.

Don't bother searching your memory is almost spot on with what I said with one major exception. I never mentioned anyone by name I said seniors not son/Kim. Everybody should know why Kim is not playing football...it's no secret (yes, I'm purposely letting someone else say why to prove the point).

I also agree that my comments are transparent (duh..I've have never hidden it). Agenda? No, you have the agenda. Your agenda is to minimize anything I say negative about Jer by claiming I have an agenda. It can't possible be because I'm right.

Here is the deal; to my knowledge coach Kill has never done or said anything that would rise to the level of anybody else not evolved giving a rip. I just don't care for the man and like every body else who has an opinion and share it, that's all I'm doing. However, I would never minimize his accomplishments (not give credit where credit is do) or blindly jump on something someone else said negatively about him just because it was negative about him. I'm not a perfect man but I'm also not a simple man.

Folks (including me) say positive things about Jer, on occasion folks will say something negative...and be right. The same could also be said about me...folks could and do say negative things about me which are correct. It's just that agendas would never be one of them (that's actually a strong suit for me).

Don't bother searching your memory is almost spot on with what I said with one major exception. I never mentioned anyone by name I said seniors not son/Kim. Everybody should know why Kim is not playing football...it's no secret (yes, I'm purposely letting someone else say why to prove the point).

I also agree that my comments are transparent (duh..I've have never hidden it). Agenda? No, you have the agenda. Your agenda is to minimize anything I say negative about Jer by claiming I have an agenda. It can't possible be because I'm right.

Here is the deal; to my knowledge coach Kill has never done or said anything that would rise to the level of anybody else not evolved giving a rip. I just don't care for the man and like every body else who has an opinion and share it, that's all I'm doing. However, I would never minimize his accomplishments (not give credit where credit is do) or blindly jump on something someone else said negatively about him just because it was negative about him. I'm not a perfect man but I'm also not a simple man.

Folks (including me) say positive things about Jer, on occasion folks will say something negative...and be right. The same could also be said about me...folks could and do say negative things about me which are correct. It's just that agendas would never be one of them (that's actually a strong suit for me).

Why are we bringing the state of Wisconsin into this?

think what people are really saying is they like winners and don't like losers for a coach....they just lose me when they start assigning folks undeserved characteristics to justify their like are dislike.

Yes, Brewster is such a genuine and caring person, that when he was canned, he stopped making payments on the mansion he had to have when he arrived here. Eventually, he apparently thought better of being foreclosed on and went on to execute a short sale which cost some lender hundreds of thousand of dollars. What a guy...what a man...what a genuine and caring human being.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom