Brew assures Sid whole staff will be back

gophmeister

Reaction score
Sid's column quotes Brew saying the rumors surrounding Fisch and Davis are not true. Whew! I was worried. :rolleyes:

Link? hopefully its true. This program needs more stability and less rumors and whining fans

Here is the link:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/v...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

"Gophers football coach Tim Brewster said rumors that have offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch going to either the Bears or Redskins and offensive line coach Tim Davis joining Lane Kiffin at Southern California are not true. Brewster said for the first time since he got here in 2007, he will have the same coordinators and other assistant coaches in back-to-back seasons. However, West Coast reports have Davis joining Kiffin in USC as his offensive line coach."

Go Gophers!!

Damn you and your ever present links Bleed! This was my glory and you stole if from me...:mad:

How many dots do I need to denote sarcasm for those who are unable to see it?

........................... ...... ...................... ............

You'd certainly want the gap between a departure and the replacement to be as small a window as possible. On the other hand, with so many trying to sabotage you like other programs and local media it would be nearly impossible for the news not to get to the recruits anyway. It would seem that far too many people would know to be able to do anything about the timing. Certainly he'd want to keep the image up as long as possible. so, IDK.

Wow - that's a pretty bold/confident statement - this may be nitpicky, but I would of added a "expected" to be back in there. You can't really guarantee anything these days. Next season is a long ways away!

I do have a question - what are the rules regarding one college interviewing another college's coach? I believe it's customary to get the permission of the AD - but is it requires. As for Fisch - I'm guessing he could just interview as he pleased with the NFL if he didn't want to disclose that? Is that correct?

Why believe anything anybody says in college athletics?

O tempora o mores!

I tend to agree with GVVadge. If I am looking around for another job, I am not going to tell my current boss about it.

Couple things though assuming Brester flat out asked his entire staff about returning.

Either some postion coaches could lie or Brewster could lie. Pretty simple.

NO....you'd be the last to know.

What a loser. Go back to the Badger board. Is your life so meaningless that you need to come on here for negative affirmation? :cool:

Why so hostile? My life is that meaningless, don't rub it in.

Probably true enough...that, and I would think he's trying to keep a good spin on things to hold the recruiting class together.

Actually, pretty unlikely given the fact that everyone has a contract and given the huge turnover among coaches. It would not pay to burn many bridges. That and I would think it would be close to impossible to keep anything quiet for long (like a couple milliseconds). That is not to say something could not pop up suddenly (like Kiffin to USC :eek:).

Don't Davis and Kiffin hate each other's guts? Or was that between Davis and Chow?

Don't Davis and Kiffin hate each other's guts? Or was that between Davis and Chow?

Its been said that Davis and Kiffen do not like each other. I think Davis stays. I think in the end Fisch might be gone just because of all the steam for him at all these places, but I don't see Davis leaving....

I tend to agree with GVVadge. If I am looking around for another job, I am not going to tell my current boss about it.

Good point, RaT,

When the Brew directed that his "hat be thrown into the ring" last month for the Kansas job, and last year for the Tennessee job, he certainly did not clear it with Maturi beforehand.

All of this high-level job hunting/job matching activity happens surreptitiously.

One would think he would have gotten some assurance from both of them when
he hired them that they'd hang around for awhile. I don't know how you'd do
that, though.

I guess we will see what happens shortly.

It all comes down to integrity. If you say you are not looking around for another job and will not take another if offered and can be counted on for next year, then I guess you have to believe a guy at his word.

When the Brew directed that his "hat be thrown into the ring" last month for the Kansas job, and last year for the Tennessee job, he certainly did not clear it with Maturi beforehand.

Have these rumors been verified? If so, do you have a link?

Fisch and to some extent Davis , are not dummies. They came here to build up a sub-par program. To leave after 1 yr. doesn't show anything. If they stick around and turn the corner here, they can pad their resumes, especially Fisch, and parlay it to a better position,beit pros or college. That way they can say I did it not I have the potential to do it.

Have these rumors been verified? If so, do you have a link?

ESPN reported that Brewster was indeed a candidate for the Kansas job. That same report however, noted that he was a finalist for the job, thus making it problematic for the anti-Brewster crowd to claim that Tim was disloyal while ignoring the fact that a Big 12 school actually highly considered him for the job.

Did you ever say the movie North Dallas Forty? Just think of the scene where they have pictures of Phil Elliot that they want to use to cut him. Elliots asks if they noticed that their star QB Seth Maxwell was ALSO in those pictures.

It was kind of like that!

Fisch and to some extent Davis , are not dummies. They came here to build up a sub-par program. To leave after 1 yr. doesn't show anything. If they stick around and turn the corner here, they can pad their resumes, especially Fisch, and parlay it to a better position,beit pros or college. That way they can say I did it not I have the potential to do it.

Wouldn't a "dummy" stay to pad his resume at Minnesota rather than pad his resume at USC or in the NFL?

ESPN reported that Brewster was indeed a candidate for the Kansas job. That same report however, noted that he was a finalist for the job, thus making it problematic for the anti-Brewster crowd to claim that Tim was disloyal while ignoring the fact that a Big 12 school actually highly considered him for the job.

Did you ever say the movie North Dallas Forty? Just think of the scene where they have pictures of Phil Elliot that they want to use to cut him. Elliots asks if they noticed that their star QB Seth Maxwell was ALSO in those pictures.

It was kind of like that!

That ESPN report seemed based on a rumor without any verification. When they also reported the finalist position, to me, that pretty much indicated they didn't have any idea what they were talking about. Not saying your version is wrong, but we just have a different take on it. Still, I haven't seen anywhere that anyone from Kansas or Tennessee have verified that Brewster was actually considered for the job, or that he contacted them to throw his hat into the ring.

Wouldn't a "dummy" stay to pad his resume at Minnesota rather than pad his resume at USC or in the NFL?

In the old days, you'd stay at a school for at least a couple years to stay true to the coaching fraternity. It seems that has now all changed with schools and head coaches taking anyone with a 'name' regardless of their accomplishments or failings.

That ESPN report seemed based on a rumor without any verification. When they also reported the finalist position, to me, that pretty much indicated they didn't have any idea what they were talking about. Not saying your version is wrong, but we just have a different take on it. Still, I haven't seen anywhere that anyone from Kansas or Tennessee have verified that Brewster was actually considered for the job, or that he contacted them to throw his hat into the ring.

I don't disagree with any of that. I just found the whole thing pretty amusing!

I agree.

I think it would be easier to improve your resume at USC than it is at Minnesota. With Fisch, I am not so certain. If he goes to Seattle and becomes a QB coach, well he better hope that whomever the Seahawks deem to be their QB of the future develops nicely. I think Fisch is getting good name recognition now (with his name being in the mix everywhere), and if he can show something here, he might end up being an OC in the NFL sooner than if he goes to the NFL as a QB coach. However, if Fisch gets offered an OC position in the NFL, I would say his resume doesn't need any more padding.

Bob and Max, USC has no where to go but down, Minn is a much bigger feather if they can just make it competitive. Rule for coaches wanting to go up, never come in at the top, come in at the bottom, getting to competetive a place is easier than staying on the top. Especially a place that hasn't been there for a long time.

If so, this is very good news, whether you like Brew or not. This will help enable us to keep our commitments and go into a year with a real development toward O and D schemes. Net year we will have a significant influx of new talent from both redshirted frosh and several actual frosh that will get significant playing time. We already know about Brewster the recruiter. We certainly know about Brewster the salesman. Twelve months from now we will have a much better idea about Brewster the coach.

Top Bottom