Brew- 1 year extension?

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
Did anyone else catch that mention on KFAN at abou 6:15p tonight? They said Brewster picked up a 1 year extension to leave him with 3 years remaining under contract. There may have been a different context because it was the first thing I heard when I turned the car on.

Did anyone else catch that mention on KFAN at abou 6:15p tonight? They said Brewster picked up a 1 year extension to leave him with 3 years remaining under contract. There may have been a different context because it was the first thing I heard when I turned the car on.

Barreiro asked Nanne about Sid's column where he states Maturi is working on an extension for Brew...Barreiro then went on to state how ridiculous a notion that would be and questioned Mr. Maturi's "cahones". Talked about how an extension with no buyout, etc., would be a joke and questioned whether 16 17 year old recruits are stupid enough to believe it.

He also questioned Sid's reporting since often he prints what he wants to see happen as opposed to what is actually happening.

So...just using a Sid column to rip on Brew for 10-15 minutes.

Mike Max said the same things on the 6 pm news, look for Brewster to get a 1 year extension.

A 1 year extension pretty much says nothing past next year is guaranteed, but should allow him to combat other coaches using his contract against him with recruits. Frankly, they're better off letting it be a rumor until closer to signing day.

I one year extension doesn't exactly sound like a vote of confidence. If this is true Maturi is sending an announcement to everyone that Brewster is on thin ice. I'm not sure how much this will help recruiting.

I one year extension doesn't exactly sound like a vote of confidence. If this is true Maturi is sending an announcement to everyone that Brewster is on thin ice. I'm not sure how much this will help recruiting.

I get what you're saying, but how is this worse for recruiting then no extension? If this isn't a vote of confidence and is a thin ice alert, then no extension is Joel puckering up for the kiss of death while Brewster's left foot falls through the ice.

If the extension is structured so that the U doesn't end up paying a bunch more money to Brew if he's fired then I don't care. Brew didn't earn it but if it keeps recruiting from hitting the skids and it doesn't handcuff the U should they want to make a change then honestly I don't get what the fuss is.

please don't get your gophers information (for any gophers sport) from KFUCH and the sophmoric stooges they have working over there. barreiro can suck a fat one. :)

please don't get your gophers information (for any gophers sport) from KFUCH and the sophmoric stooges they have working over there. barreiro can suck a fat one. :)

I know I made an error and apologize. I listened twice this week after a multi-week absence following the Brewster-KFAN debacle. I don't intend to let this happen again. I'm really not a scab, I was just looking for some sort of discussion of the possible Big Ten expansion. Guess what I didn't find on KFART.

On a related note, the incoming 2010 class has slid down the rankings to #44 despite picking up a 4* WR over the weekend. :(

So, what should Maturi have done? Give him a two year extension and put us in a position of having to pay three more years of contract money if next year is a total debacle and Brewster gets fired? Or fire Brewster now, essentially getting rid of the majority of the recruits that have been recruited for this year (see Greg Jones when Mason was fired).

A one year extension is a perfectly reasonable solution on all fronts. Nowadays, what are the chances a recruit is going to have the same coach for all four/five years? Depending upon the program, not very good! Successful coaches leverage their success to find a better job, while those that aren't successful are fired. I read a great article in Sports Illustrated today (last week's issue) and after Bobby Bowden is finished (after the Gator Bowl) there will be two coaches in Division 1 who will have been at a program for twenty years + - Jo Pa, and Frank Beamer. That is it!

Others who have had some staying power: Pete Carroll, Kirk Ferentz, Gary Patterson, Mike Leach, and Edsall at UCONN. There aren't many others.

My point is that college coaches can tell kids what they think the kids want to here, but nowadays kids shouldn't be so naive as to think the coach will be at the school for their entire college career (unless the coach is newly hired).

A one-year extension is what it is - and Brew would definitely be here next year. If he is successful, he will get more years or will move on. If not, then the program will have the opportunity to perhaps get better by hiring a better coach - a reason for players to stay.

Ron Johnson nailed it. IF this is true, it is almost an insult. An extension should be at least two years. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just a rumor.

Ron Johnson nailed it. IF this is true, it is almost an insult. An extension should be at least two years. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just a rumor.

Steve Spurrier at South Carolina just got a one year extension so I don't think it's that uncommon.

Brewster might not be too excited about a longer extension either. I think he's hoping to get a better contract at some point. He was signed at bargain basement prices. He hasn't earned more money and he knows it, and maturi knows it. So why would Brewster want to lock himself in furthur. It's a losing scenario for him. He succeeds and he's tied into a crappy deal, he doesn't he's canned anyway. He's better off on a rolling three until he's out or has earned something better. he can spin this easily to recruits.

Look at it this way. Here is the list of coaches in the Big Ten by when their contracts expire (I think I got all of the years right but please correct me if I got any wrong):

Mark Dantonio- 2016
Kirk Ferentz- 2015
Pat Fitzgerald- 2015
Brett Bielema- 2014
Ron Zook- 2014
Danny Hope- 2014
Rich Rodriguez- 2013
Jim Tressel- I believe that his deal expires in 2012 but AD offered him a lifetime deal last year
Tim Brewster- 2012 (If he signs a one year extension)
Bill Lynch- 2011
Joe Paterno- 2011 but clearly has job security

Can't coaches recruiting against Brewster pull out this list and use it as evidence that Maturi isn't very committed to Brewster as his coach?

A one year extension is a perfectly reasonable solution...

Given the W-L record, the conference record and the trophy record thus far, I would have to agree with the above.

I want Brewster to succeed, I truly do. There isn't enough evidence that he will, though, and I would hate to have a 2009 coaching decision be a detriment in 2011 and beyond.

I'm 100% in support of an 'extension.'

It will be legally and financially empty anyway...

Brewster might not be too excited about a longer extension either. I think he's hoping to get a better contract at some point. He was signed at bargain basement prices. He hasn't earned more money and he knows it, and maturi knows it. So why would Brewster want to lock himself in furthur. It's a losing scenario for him. He succeeds and he's tied into a crappy deal, he doesn't he's canned anyway. He's better off on a rolling three until he's out or has earned something better. he can spin this easily to recruits.

"Originally Posted by TCF=UnitedWeStand
A one year extension is a perfectly reasonable solution..."

These.

Look at it this way. Here is the list of coaches in the Big Ten by when their contracts expire (I think I got all of the years right but please correct me if I got any wrong):

Mark Dantonio- 2016
Kirk Ferentz- 2015
Pat Fitzgerald- 2015
Brett Bielema- 2014
Ron Zook- 2014
Danny Hope- 2014
Rich Rodriguez- 2013
Jim Tressel- I believe that his deal expires in 2012 but AD offered him a lifetime deal last year
Tim Brewster- 2012 (If he signs a one year extension)
Bill Lynch- 2011
Joe Paterno- 2011 but clearly has job security

Can't coaches recruiting against Brewster pull out this list and use it as evidence that Maturi isn't very committed to Brewster as his coach?

You still haven't explained why this is worse then not extending him. You're acting like there is a perfect solution. There isn't. Maturi deserves a psych eval if he gives Brew more than a single year extension because he hasn't earned it and because it will limit the U's ability to go after a new coach should Brewster be fired. Not extending him is a horrible idea. Thus, a simple 1 year extension improves the future stability of the coaching situation (assuming that Brew wins) without handcuffing the U should they need to fire him and pursue a new coach after next year. It is not as good as a multi-year deal. But no one is saying that a one year extension is the ideal move, just that its the best move available to the U. I'm interested to hear what you think Maturi should be doing instead.

Steve Spurrier at South Carolina just got a one year extension so I don't think it's that uncommon.

Keep in mind that Spurrier still had three years remaining on his contract. His one-year extension keeps him through 2013.

A 1 year extension is better than no extention. This might be me just bitching a little, but Maturi is putting himself in another tough spot for next year. Likely scenario for next season is 5 to 8 wins again, and Brewster's recruits still aren't seniors. What do you do then? If the answer is another one year extention, then you should have done two years to begin with. As someone else said, maybe Brewster isn't happy with a two year deal for less money.

A 1 year extension is better than no extention. This might be me just bitching a little, but Maturi is putting himself in another tough spot for next year. Likely scenario for next season is 5 to 8 wins again, and Brewster's recruits still aren't seniors. What do you do then? If the answer is another one year extention, then you should have done two years to begin with. As someone else said, maybe Brewster isn't happy with a two year deal for less money.

No, I think you're being realistic. Lets face it. We are in coaching purgatory right now. Brew hasn't done quite poorly enough to be fired after 3 seasons, but he hasn't shown that he's worth the risk of a raise/longer extension. That really limits the options and means that the remaining ones are all significantly less than ideal.

I would almost argue the teams performance as much as consistency and a forward moving program is as important as more wins. If we have 6-7 wins next year and we compete in every game, a longer extension is deserved.

We need a foundation to start. At this point we appear lost.

You still haven't explained why this is worse then not extending him. You're acting like there is a perfect solution. There isn't. Maturi deserves a psych eval if he gives Brew more than a single year extension because he hasn't earned it and because it will limit the U's ability to go after a new coach should Brewster be fired. Not extending him is a horrible idea. Thus, a simple 1 year extension improves the future stability of the coaching situation (assuming that Brew wins) without handcuffing the U should they need to fire him and pursue a new coach after next year. It is not as good as a multi-year deal. But no one is saying that a one year extension is the ideal move, just that its the best move available to the U. I'm interested to hear what you think Maturi should be doing instead.

I think that Maturi needed to make a solid decision after this season whether Brewster was his guy or not. If he isn't his guy, then he should have been fired shortly after the Iowa game. If he decides he is going forward with Brewster than he needs to go with him 100%. Only giving him a one year extension (and especially if there is no buyout attached to the one year) is giving a public statement that you are lukewarm towards Brewster and just not sure if he is the answer for you going forward. Because of that I don't think this one year extension accomplishes anything. On the surface it appears to give more stability to the situation but I think that with the help of opposing coaches many recruits will see it for what it is: an empty vote of confidence.

If Maturi gives him a two year extension he is under contract for the next four years and Maturi sends the signal that he is happy and the situation is stable. If he needs to fire him after next year will it cost more money? Sure, but any AD that fires a coach at a major conference school is going to have to pay a buyout. Its a fact of life.

I understand that there is no perfect solution and why Maturi wants more time to decide what to do with Brewster. However, the best two options as I see them is to fire Brewster or give him a two year extension. Its a tough decision but as an AD at a Big 10 school its a decision that Maturi has to make.

I think that Maturi needed to make a solid decision after this season whether Brewster was his guy or not. If he isn't his guy, then he should have been fired shortly after the Iowa game. If he decides he is going forward with Brewster than he needs to go with him 100%. Only giving him a one year extension (and especially if there is no buyout attached to the one year) is giving a public statement that you are lukewarm towards Brewster and just not sure if he is the answer for you going forward. Because of that I don't think this one year extension accomplishes anything. On the surface it appears to give more stability to the situation but I think that with the help of opposing coaches many recruits will see it for what it is: an empty vote of confidence.

If Maturi gives him a two year extension he is under contract for the next four years and Maturi sends the signal that he is happy and the situation is stable. If he needs to fire him after next year will it cost more money? Sure, but any AD that fires a coach at a major conference school is going to have to pay a buyout. Its a fact of life.

I understand that there is no perfect solution and why Maturi wants more time to decide what to do with Brewster. However, the best two options as I see them is to fire Brewster or give him a two year extension. Its a tough decision but as an AD at a Big 10 school its a decision that Maturi has to make.

To a degree, I think Maturi should have fired him or given him a long extension. But I'm not sure two years versus one really makes that much difference in recruiting. As it was, we could buy him out for $800K I believe. As coaching buyouts go, that's nothing. If we fire him a year from now, he'll again have two years left and probably still an $800K buyout. That looks more palatable then $1.2 million if it comes down to that, and probably nets the same effect on recruiting. Any recruit being pursued right now probably realizes that if the Gophers go 3-9 or 4-8 next year, Brew will not be thier coach, no matter how long his extension was.

If Maturi gives him a two year extension he is under contract for the next four years and Maturi sends the signal that he is happy and the situation is stable.

Don't you think this could be used negatively by other coaches too? As in, "Look at Minnesota. They are perfectly happy going 7-6 in back to back years." I think a one year extension is the only way to go. Brewster needs to prove something next year to get a real extension.

Don't you think this could be used negatively by other coaches too? As in, "Look at Minnesota. They are perfectly happy going 7-6 in back to back years." I think a one year extension is the only way to go. Brewster needs to prove something next year to get a real extension.

Which do you think is more likely to hurt our chances with a recruit? Bret Bielema telling a recruit your scenario above or Bret Bielema saying "Look, I know Brew is a great guy. I like him myself. But look at his contract next situation. His AD isn't committed to him. Do you really want to go play for Brew for one year? God knows who their coach will be after next year."

Recruits commit to a coach as much as they commit to a school. We are not going to be able to keep pulling quality players from Florida and Texas if other coaches can convince them that Brewster is not likely to be retained at Minnesota.

Given the W-L record, the conference record and the trophy record thus far, I would have to agree with the above.

I want Brewster to succeed, I truly do. There isn't enough evidence that he will, though, and I would hate to have a 2009 coaching decision be a detriment in 2011 and beyond.

The program needs to stay as positive as it can. Having a lame duck coach will only hurt what we need to do the best: recruit.

In spite of a ton of bitching and areas of concern, Brewster has won a tad over 50% of the games, two bowl gamrs and has a Mason-like 3 BT win seasons the past two seasons.

One year is fine and will allow both parties more time which is needed. If Brewster doesn't accept, Maturi may not have that luxury. But Brewster would be foolish to turn down any extension at this juncture.

The program needs to stay as positive as it can. Having a lame duck coach will only hurt what we need to do the best: recruit.

In spite of a ton of bitching and areas of concern, Brewster has won a tad over 50% of the games, two bowl gamrs and has a Mason-like 3 BT win seasons the past two seasons.

One year is fine and will allow both parties more time which is needed. If Brewster doesn't accept, Maturi may not have that luxury. But Brewster would be foolish to turn down any extension at this juncture.

You are dense. We need to rid ourselves of Brewster as soon as we can. He can't coach and he is only an average recruiter at best and the longer the program sux, the more recruits will laugh at Brew's saying we will put Gopher Nation in a Rose Bowl. (By the way Mason's two star recruits have been better than Brew's three stars recruits). Plus, whenever we fire Brewster, we have to deal with a transition. Brewster has a horrible record and his wins are largely over cupcakes and the dredges of the Big Ten. To keep Brewster another year, is a total waste of a year.

You are dense. We need to rid ourselves of Brewster as soon as we can. He can't coach and he is only an average recruiter at best and the longer the program sux, the more recruits will laugh at Brew's saying we will put Gopher Nation in a Rose Bowl. (By the way Mason's two star recruits have been better than Brew's three stars recruits). Plus, whenever we fire Brewster, we have to deal with a transition. Brewster has a horrible record and his wins are largely over cupcakes and the dredges of the Big Ten. To keep Brewster another year, is a total waste of a year.

This is the worst post of the year. Yeah, it's only January 2nd, but I think this one will have legs.

His quality of coaching and recruiting are subjective so I'll avoid those topics, but if you're going to stand by the "his wins are largely over cupcakes and the dredges of the Big Ten" then you'll be the first person on my ignore list.

W1: beat Syracuse - cupcake
W2: beat Air Force - destroyed Houston in their bowl game
W3: beat NU - 8 wins, beat both Iowa and Wisconsin
W4: beat Purdue - beat tOSU, 4-4 in Big Ten
W5: beat MSU - 4-4 in Big Ten
W6: beat SDSU - cupcake

Top Bottom