Brevyn Spann-Ford will not be participating on Senior Day

I really like the kid's personality - seems like just a nice boy (insert old grandma voice).

At times I've been pretty frustrated with his drops though. All that said, getting him back would be huge for next year.

When he gets the ball he's electric. You see that hurdle play he had ealier this year? Great YAC machine. (Needs to not drop so many easy balls tho...) he's the #1 threat in the passing game for a reason, and is always talked about in the broadcasts.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just don't see it. He seems decent to me, but no way electric.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just don't see it. He seems decent to me, but no way electric.
He might want to go to a team that throws him the ball multiple times a game.

agreed. the pieces are there but he's just not quite dynamic enough running routes. blocking has certainly improved this year but aside from his one hurdle, haven't really seen much that i would call "electric" from him

agreed. the pieces are there but he's just not quite dynamic enough running routes. blocking has certainly improved this year but aside from his one hurdle, haven't really seen much that i would call "electric" from him
His "electricity" should be put in context a bit.

First, if you look at his stats and compare them against many very good (NFL) tight ends, his numbers are comparable to theirs in college. The only stat they aren't super close is TEs is TDs. But receptions, yards, etc. are all right there and he is doing it with a pretty bad passing attack.

Second, there are very few electric tight ends (even in the NFL). A few of them move really well, almost like receivers but that is extremely rare. That said, BSF outweighs those types of TEs by 20-25 lbs.

He was recruited to play TE for the Gophers - a team that runs the ball 65% of the time. He is 270 lbs + and like Kieft is often given blocking assignments not usually assigned to TEs. Some of the discussion on this board almost reminds me of the discussion of St. Juste where because he was beat a few teams and wasn't an All American, he wasn't that good.

BSF is a legit NFL talent who will likely be drafted in the first half of the 2023 or 2024 draft. That's pretty electric for a Gopher skill player.

My TE in NCAA 2014 on Xbox 360 kicks ass.

Why can’t BSF be more like that? I don’t care that PFF has him ranked as the #3 TE in the nation, he should treat DBs and linebackers like John Wick treats other bad guys when he runs out of bullets. On. Every. Single. Play.

First, if you look at his stats and compare them against many very good (NFL) tight ends, his numbers are comparable to theirs in college. The only stat they aren't super close is TEs is TDs. But receptions, yards, etc. are all right there and he is doing it with a pretty bad passing attack.

Second, there are very few electric tight ends (even in the NFL). A few of them move really well, almost like receivers but that is extremely rare. That said, BSF outweighs those types of TEs by 20-25 lbs.

He was recruited to play TE for the Gophers - a team that runs the ball 65% of the time. He is 270 lbs + and like Kieft is often given blocking assignments not usually assigned to TEs. Some of the discussion on this board almost reminds me of the discussion of St. Juste where because he was beat a few teams and wasn't an All American, he wasn't that good.

BSF is a legit NFL talent who will likely be drafted in the first half of the 2023 or 2024 draft. That's pretty electric for a Gopher skill player.
Do you have any NFL TE's that you see him being comparable to in his future? Curious what type of TE you envision him being in the NFL.

Totally fine to disagree. I don't want to give the wrong impression. Definitely think he will play in the NFL. Think if he came out he's a round 5-6 kind of player unless he shows more top end speed if he's able to slim down after the season ends. To me, he's kind of a tweener right now which is the issue I have. The Gophers strategy has much to do with that in asking him to be bigger and participate much in blocking. To me, a guy like Mayer at ND, Bowers (this isn't as fair a comp as he's much smaller) at GA, or Stover for OSU are more dynamic both in getting open and once the ball is in their hands. At this size, he just doesn't seem to get the separation needed as often as I'd expect for a guy who's regarded as electric. Just my feelings and it's part of why I'd like to see him get the chance to come back and show he can play more that intermittent split out role at about 15-20# less where I think his true impact would be at the next level.

On a side note since you mentioned it, St Juste, to me, had many of the makings of what pros salivate for in an NFL DB. Long, physical. Not top end speed but thought he was going to be a solid pro. Really happy it's worked out for him.

I think BSF is a Day 3 type of prospect, but will see, would love to have him and CrAB back next year. Doubt Nubin comes back, his floor is round two IMO, but we've recruited well in the secondary, we've got guys like Jalen Glaze, Flip Dixon, Darious Green and Ortiz ready to step up.Just like Nubin did when Winfield left

Very well said. Thank you!

He has 31 catches on the year and multiple catches in every game except for 1 (don't know how many times he was targeted in each game).

But....hey....don't let facts get in the way of your hot take.
3 a game does not seem much. What are the top TE's catching per game?

3 a game does not seem much. What are the top TE's catching per game?
Yeah I have no intention of digging into how often the average TE gets targeted. You can move the goal posts if you want on your original post but the point I was making is that he is targeted multiple times a game.

Yeah I have no intention of digging into how often the average TE gets targeted. You can move the goal posts if you want on your original post but the point I was making is that he is targeted multiple times a game.
I looked up the receiving stats, interestingly Singer is around 20th in the country. The top TE had 750 yards on 50 receptions. I did not see our boy listed.

I think he would have walked if he was going to transfer. He would still have been a graduating senior and it would have (I assume) been a nice way to say good bye to the U.

I think he doesn't plan on going but if he grades out in the first 3 rounds, he'll have something to ponder.
I haven’t seen him listed as a top 10 tight end prospect for 2022 anywhere (though I haven’t looked too much)

I have mostly seen him in the 11-18 range
That’s a late round pick. Not sure I would leave early to be a maybe pick.
Some years only 14-15 guys are drafted at that position

Singer moved to Arizona to play football and get a scholarship, now he is 20th is the country as a sophomore. Pretty good.

per STrib:

The Gophers on Saturday celebrated Senior Day, with 15 players participating in the pregame ceremony with their families at Huntington Bank Stadium. Fourteen for sure will not return or will exhaust their collegiate eligibility this season, capping their home careers with a 13-10 loss to Iowa.

The one player who has eligibility left but participated in the ceremony is safety Tyler Nubin, the team's leader in interceptions and a player who'll have a decision to make about the NFL. Nubin has been a regular in the lineup since 2019 and is considered one of the top defensive backs in the Big Ten. Coach P.J. Fleck has acknowledged that Nubin could leave for the NFL draft, but added, "We'll leave a light on for him.''

Another player with a year of eligibility remaining who could draw NFL interest is tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford, who did not participate in the ceremony. When asked if he was considering returning for the 2023 season, Spann-Ford on Wednesday said: "We'll see. That's all I really got to say.''

Others who participated in the ceremony were linebacker Josh Aune, guard Chuck Filiaga, wide receiver Clay Geary, safety Jordan Howden, running back Mohamed Ibrahim, running back Preston Jelen, quarterback Tanner Morgan, tight end Samuel Pickerign, guard Axel Ruschmeyer, defensive end Thomas Rush, center John Michael Schmitz, cornerback Terell Smith, linebacker Mariano Sori-Marin, long snapper Austin Sullivan and kicker Matthew Trickett.

It was an emotional postgame for this group of Gophers, who didn't beat Iowa in their careers.

"That's one we wanted to get, but obviously you don't like the result we got,'' Rush said. "You look at the guys in the [locker] room and you just can be proud about the way we played. … You just have to think about the guys around here and how much you've grown close to them.''

Go Gophers!!

Saw a tweet that he will be announcing his 2023 intentions before the game next week.

I think BSF gets drafted in the first three or four rounds, and plays in the NFL for 10 years. That said, I’m OK if he goes pro now it’s the next man up mentality and the Geers kid is supposed to be really, really good. I’m not a big fan of the extra year for Covid it was great having JMS here another year otherwise I look forward to the younger players moving up to starters and let’s make this Geers’ time as the pass catching TE.

Saw a tweet that he will be announcing his 2023 intentions before the game next week.

Opting to not participate in senior day gave me this, apparently false, perception that his return was a done deal. Doesn’t seem to be the case, but sure hope he returns.

He is solid. He is very overrated in some people’s minds.
He was a lot better blocking this year which makes me think he has a chance.
People who think he is a lock as an nfl roster guy have him overhyped though.

He doesn’t catch in traffic very well. He just looks like he should.

Top Bottom