Bret Bielema

SJUgopher

Reaction score
Do you think he survives the latest meltdown? Seems like the natives are getting restless in Arkansas and seems like a good landing spot for Les Miles.

Personally, I think he is a giant a-hole and would love to see him as our coach if we move on from Claeys.

Bielema will be occupying one of the hottest seats in all of college football entering next season.

Do you think he survives the latest meltdown? Seems like the natives are getting restless in Arkansas and seems like a good landing spot for Les Miles.

Personally, I think he is a giant a-hole and would love to see him as our coach if we move on from Claeys.

If he came to Minnesota I would cheer against the Gophers every game. I think the odds are below nil. They would become my least favorite college team. 10-22 conference record in 4 years at Arkansas. That sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-football-head-coach-contract-salary-buyout

Arkansas coach Bret Bielema

Bielema’s buyout decreases over time, but the structure is still pretty darn friendly to the Head Hog.

Arkansas would have to pay Bielema $15.4 million if he were fired before 2018, $11.7 million before 2019, $7.9 million before 2020 and $4 million in the final year of his contract, according to AP reporter Kurt Voigt.

If Bielema took another job this calendar year, he’d owe Arkansas $3 million, with that buyout steadily decreasing all the way down to $250,000 in the final year of his deal (2020).

Takeaway: The big man gets a fittingly big buyout clause. Bielema isn’t leaving Fayetteville any time soon, unless its of his own accord.

What has he actually built? Has he turned around a program?

If he came to Minnesota I would cheer against the Gophers every game. I think the odds are below nil. They would become my least favorite college team. 10-22 conference record in 4 years at Arkansas. That sucks.

And people doubt you as a true Gopher Fan.

I wonder if Ragnow has second thoughts about not being a Gopher. We had good center play this year, but too bad he chose the hog pit.

I personally don't care if he's on the hot seat or not, but he got his arse handed to him in this game....

He's nothing special as a coach. He built his name by following Alvarez' formula, scheduling weak, beating virtually every team he should beat and losing to the good teams. He likes vanilla offense and vanilla defense. If he weren't a complete jackass he would be almost anonymous.

Arkansas has some serious boosters (Jerry Jones.....). If a move is desired, I don't think any buyout will stand in the way.

And people doubt you as a true Gopher Fan.

Not really his point. We need a coach with good character, stays on top of his kids as to school and to help them build good character. Furthermore, administration would never hire him anyway due to the way he is and that is a good thing.

Not really his point. We need a coach with good character, stays on top of his kids as to school and to help them build good character. Furthermore, administration would never hire him anyway due to the way he is and that is a good thing.

You got all that from his post? I must be simple minded as I somehow thought it meant he hates BB and that if we hired him that he would cheer against the Gophers and they would become his least favorite team. I guess pointing out his coaching record as the justification was actually a shot at BB's character then too.

I didn't realize until today how young Bielema was when he was hired by Wisconsin. He's about to turn 47 and is a year younger than Tracy Claeys.

I didn't realize until today how young Bielema was when he was hired by Wisconsin. He's about to turn 47 and is a year younger than Tracy Claeys.

Yep...he was in the right place at the right time.

He's nothing special as a coach. He built his name by following Alvarez' formula, scheduling weak, beating virtually every team he should beat and losing to the good teams. He likes vanilla offense and vanilla defense. If he weren't a complete jackass he would be almost anonymous.

He's solid on offense and weak on defense. Rumor is he's looking to go to a 3/4 defense next year.

He's averaged 8.5 wins per season and went to 3 roses bowls, five years after taking over for Alvarez.

His formula won't work in SEC without Alabama talent. Teams are too athletic.

I feel he would be successful here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's solid on offense and weak on defense. Rumor is he's looking to go to a 3/4 defense next year.

He's averaged 8.5 wins per season and went to 3 roses bowls, five years after taking over for Alvarez.

I see it different. He was handed the keys to the kingdom was able to maintain the momentum with BA as AD. Not that hard in my mind. Went to ARK with big exectations and pretty much failed.

I see it different. He was handed the keys to the kingdom was able to maintain the momentum with BA as AD. Not that hard in my mind. Went to ARK with big exectations and pretty much failed.

He improved Wisconsin if you compare Brett's 7 years to Alvarez's last 7 years. Brett had 10 more wins overall, and 6 more B1G Wins. Also went to the Rose Bowl 3 times compared to Alvarez's 1. Although technically Bielema left before the last Rose Bowl, and they would have never made it if Ohio St. or Penn St were allowed to play in the postseason.

He has failed so far at Arkansas.

How is that SEC doing this year in bowl season. ..just curious

He improved Wisconsin if you compare Brett's 7 years to Alvarez's last 7 years. Brett had 10 more wins overall, and 6 more B1G Wins. Also went to the Rose Bowl 3 times compared to Alvarez's 1. Although technically Bielema left before the last Rose Bowl, and they would have never made it if Ohio St. or Penn St were allowed to play in the postseason.

He has failed so far at Arkansas.

He stepped into an established, winning program at Wisconsin, Barry didn't. He maintained.

The recruiting issue is legit. He has same coach them up philosophy as our current staff.

It's all relative to the conference you're in. Bielema's worst class was ranked 32nd nationally. Otherwise he's borderline top 25 every year. The problem is that's still only good for being ranked 10-12th in the SEC.

Record wise last year he finished 4th in the SEC. So you could still say he coached them up.

It's all relative to the conference you're in. Bielema's worst class was ranked 32nd nationally. Otherwise he's borderline top 25 every year. The problem is that's still only good for being ranked 10-12th in the SEC.

Record wise last year he finished 4th in the SEC. So you could still say he coached them up.

And in, maybe, the least talent-rich SEC location?

The recruiting issue is legit. He has same coach them up philosophy as our current staff.

I don't think it's a philosophy, it's what you're stuck with. It's just that the guys who can't land big names and can't coach them up don't last very long.

Top Bottom