Bret Bielema week

Strib has an article from Pat Reusse (yeah, I know) on the Gophers-Bielema rivalry. He talked to Blake Sorenson, an Eden Prairie grad who played at WI. some highlights:

"It was on the card," Blake Sorensen said. "That's what Bret said. It was on his 'when-to-go-for-two card.' "

And then Sorensen, a standout senior on Bielema's first of three consecutive Rose Bowl teams, laughed slightly and said: "Bret hated that guy's guts.''

Meaning Brewster.

Most of that animosity stemmed from recruiting. Bielema had been hand-picked by Barry Alvarez, the Badgers' turnaround king, as his replacement for the 2006 season. Brewster was hired in January 2007, replacing a real head coach in Glen Mason, and leaped into recruiting with a style …

Let's just say with tactics that Bielema and other rival coaches felt managed to exceed the wide limits for offering bad information on the competition.

That didn't play with Sorensen, Eden Prairie linebacker (and also offensive contributor) and the Star Tribune's Metro Player of the Year for 2006, and not offered a scholarship by Mason.

"I originally committed to Northwestern, but then Bret became the head coach at Wisconsin, we had good conversations and he was the reason I flipped,'' Sorensen said. "Brewster came in late. I always remember him in our living room. He told me, 'You can carry the flag out for us at the Rose Bowl.' It was so over-the-top.

"The cliché fit: Used car salesman.''

OK, I admit it. I'm totally confused. Are we talking about a beaver?
Not quite. We’re talking about an SEC coach leaving his wife and kids for a stripper who appeared on Jerry Springer and has an emotional support monkey that is featured in her exotic dances and allegedly bit a child on Halloween.

Times sure have changed -- it seems like a long time ago Tim Brewster would be saying something stupid to rile up Bielema and the Badgers so they could pound on his team some more!! If you want to talk smack, you have to back it up or you look like a complete moron!!

Guess we owe him a few L'S but I doubt Fleck or the current squad have any grudges against him!!
We all hated Bielema but as I age….he actually says some things I agree with.
He basically called Brewster an embarrassment and ran the score up on him but stuff like that got rid of him faster.

I don’t like him, but my hatred might be misplaced.

We all hated Bielema but as I age….he actually says some things I agree with.
He basically called Brewster an embarrassment and ran the score up on him but stuff like that got rid of him faster.

I don’t like him, but my hatred might be misplaced.
Very true. If you have to fire a coach, fine but make sure you have something a little better lined up for his replacement. Brewster must have had a hell of a BS interview to get the job because he wasn't even close to being ready for this job and he was in way over his head! Mase may have left on bad terms but years later I think he has gained a lot of respect from Gopher fans. He was really the first coach to kind of turn the page and take us to the next level.

Very true. If you have to fire a coach, fine but make sure you have something a little better lined up for his replacement. Brewster must have had a hell of a BS interview to get the job because he wasn't even close to being ready for this job and he was in way over his head! Mase may have left on bad terms but years later I think he has gained a lot of respect from Gopher fans. He was really the first coach to kind of turn the page and take us to the next level.
TB was a great salesman and maybe they hired him mainly to recruit players.

Reminiscing starts tomorrow.
This is kick burts ass time.
Screw that hogeye skunk!
RTBSUMGG

Bucket Head Bielema cut his hair in the shape with a beaver tail mullet and spanked a strippers monkey.
Beavers and monkeys? That just about covers college football imitating life. It's nothing to go bananas anymore. Trophy coaches wifes and pole assassins with psychotic emotional support monkeys. Fans and the media like to find distractions. It's all part of entertainment. Sad, but true.

Last edited:

Beavers and monkeys? That just about covers college football imitating life. It's nothing to go bananas anymore. Trophy coaches wifes and pole assassins with psychotic emotional support monkeys. Fans and the media like to find distractions. It's all part of entertainment. Sad, but true.
Isn't there something about polar bears and knives in there too?

Top Bottom