BREAKING: Elijah Hawkins to transfer

Or perhaps the weak schedule allowed Ihnen and Joseph to get away with some developing some bad habits that they later had to get benched for. The weak non conference schedule was a bad idea in every way possible. It's a loser's mentality to not want to face good competition.
We face good competition in the Big Ten Conference. It was a way to prepare and it was successful, going from two to nine league wins.

Again, I'm saying the NIL thing is a problem, but our coach doesn't inspire any confidence either. Both can be true. Had we not spent the last 3 seasons being the worst team in the league, maybe the NIL situation would be better.

Didn't someone else already post that only four teams (including the four new programs) in the Big Ten have less than three players in the portal? Who's have thunk that 78% of Big Ten teams have bad coaches who inspire no confidence.....rather than simply acknowledging that NIL is causing players all over the place to jump ship. Good call. :rolleyes:

PJ's pulling players that will be backups out of the SEC but BJ can't even recruit a starting B1G roster.

Yeah it's totally not BJ's fault....

Misdirected blame from the poster who continues to defend the guy WHO HIRED Johnson. Maybe if Coyle did a better job of getting NIL donors? Isn't that part of his job?

Last edited:

I'm not surprised at all to learn we aren't the only team. Wisconsin is a great comparison.

So, that's one team with a situation comparable to what happened with Hawkins (though I'm guessing neither of those guys said they'd be back and then left).

Wisconsin is all over the country?

Of course, everyone is having guys transfer out, but I suspect most of those transfers at most of the other schools are guys leaving that are more like Ihnen leaving us. No one gives a s__t here about Ihnen leaving.

Hawkins leaving here is much, much more of a big deal to the fanbase and I'm guessing there are a limited number of comparable examples like that "all over the country".

That's all I'm pointing out. You're falsely trying to equate the two different things (lots of transfers all over, but the transfers are much more minor VS. a very significant player transferring out).
Good lord man....this has to be a bit at this point.....or are you really that blind to what is going on all over the country?

Again.....Johnson has nothing to do with guys leaving because they are offered more NIL money elsewhere.

Quit. Blaming Johnson because kids are chasing money is complete nonsense.
Kids chasing money is the new norm in college basketball recruiting. If Ben is a good recruiter, then he has to adapt his skills to the times. Otherwise, recruiting will not be his strength.

Didn't someone else already post that only four teams (including the four new programs) in the Big Ten have less than three players in the portal? Who's have thunk that 78% of Big Ten teams have bad coaches who inspire no confidence.....rather than simply acknowledging that NIL is causing players all over the place to jump ship. Good call. :rolleyes:

Misdirected blame from the poster who continues to defend the guy WHO HIRED Johnson. Maybe if Coyle did a better job of getting NIL donors? Isn't that part of his job?
It is the portal era. Kids want to play. Illinois has had four portal, but they are all bench players looking for more time. I will miss Luke Goode, but he didn’t see a lot of playing time next year, had graduated in three years with a business degree. He might end up coming off the bench at Indiana to also get his grad work done at their business school. Going to hate to see him in candy stripes.

Two other reserves went with Chester Frazier to West Virginia. The fourth is Dainja who didn’t get a lot of time behind Hawkins but had some good moments. All four had good reasons to leave.

I still expect Underwood to put together a top roster.

If this was the Mob, we would break his kneecaps!

Coaches have transferred forever without a portal.

Coaches have transferred forever without a portal.
I have never liked the argument that because coaches can leave, players should be able to as well. I get where there are some parallels but the two situations are very different.

If players could only leave if the coach leaves that would be one thing. But full on unrestricted free agency for every player every year is not even remotely comparable to a coach leaving from time to time.

I have never liked the argument that because coaches can leave, players should be able to as well. I get where there are some parallels but the two situations are very different.

If players could only leave if the coach leaves that would be one thing. But full on unrestricted free agency for every player every year is not even remotely comparable to a coach leaving from time to time.

Not every coach/player leaves every year, but each coach/player now HAS THE OPTION TO LEAVE every year. I'm not saying that is a good thing, but it is the frustrating reality.

He is to be credited for a weak non-conference schedule. It allowed him time to get his team ready for a competitive first two thirds of the conference schedule. Smart on the part of whoever made that decision.

His rotation of players the last few weeks was dictated by the performance of the bench players. Nobody with a brain would have done it much different.
Look I mean no offense because I get what you are getting at...but this is some rose colored glasses posting if I ever saw it. Even if we are to believe this and take it as correct his smart scheduling didn't help much as we were still a rather disappointing team in the end. We made it through the tough part of the schedule and still barely made it out of playing on Weakling Wednesday and lost early in the NIT.

And who recruited the bench players?

We face good competition in the Big Ten Conference. It was a way to prepare and it was successful, going from two to nine league wins.

How much worse was the Big Ten this year than it was last year? Does that play into your calculus at all?

Good lord man....this has to be a bit at this point.....or are you really that blind to what is going on all over the country?
200w.gif

Not every coach/player leaves every year, but each coach/player now HAS THE OPTION TO LEAVE every year. I'm not saying that is a good thing, but it is the frustrating reality.
Coaching contracts have buyouts for being fired and for leaving before end of contract. The buyout is the incentive for both the university and the coach to NOT part ways each year. There's no contract between university/team and the players and therefore no financial incentive to stay if there's more money playing for a different university.

I know.....but I really wanted to give him another chance....it seemed like he was doing a little better..... :)
He plays that game a lot...usually after he has been warned or banned. Then he falls back into patterns.

Life is better without his constant BS.

what is going on all over the country?
Wisconsin is one.

Go ahead. I’d be very curious to know the other places that had a scenario like we just had with Hawkins.

(I predict you’ll be dishonest and continue to falsely try to equate scenarios at other schools that are much closer to us losing Ihnen than us losing Hawkins.)

The difference is very clear and very simple. And you’re a smart poster. So I conclude that for some reason you’re pushing this narrative on purpose.

I know.....but I really wanted to give him another chance....it seemed like he was doing a little better..... :)
I sometimes play the roll of provocateur on GH. I admit it. Some may say that’s the same as being a troll but I disagree. Probably a fine line, sure.

The difference for me is:
- being provocative in order to extract more information, elaboration, or clarity in posts, claims, ideas, etc.
- being provocative purely for the joy of making another poster angry.

I am (and aim for) the former. Someone like Spoofin is the latter.

Kids chasing money is the new norm in college basketball recruiting. If Ben is a good recruiter, then he has to adapt his skills to the times. Otherwise, recruiting will not be his strength.
Recruiting is nobody's strength today. Players are purchased, not recruited.

When you go out to get a better car do you recruit it or pay for it?

I sometimes play the roll of provocateur on GH. I admit it. Some may say that’s the same as being a troll but I disagree. Probably a fine line, sure.

The difference for me is:
- being provocative in order to extract more information, elaboration, or clarity in posts, claims, ideas, etc.
- being provocative purely for the joy of making another poster angry.

I am (and aim for) the former. Someone like Spoofin is the latter.
Not even close to the line. Provoke at will. I, for one, enjoy it because it's so much fun to see little pea brains explode.

Like college basketball players, I do a short term lease.

He is to be credited for a weak non-conference schedule. It allowed him time to get his team ready for a competitive first two thirds of the conference schedule. Smart on the part of whoever made that decision.
This is so incredibly wrong as to defy belief.
Holy fuck nobody can possibly be this stupid.
Which means you don't actually believe this.

I think he means it’s Ben’s fault that every team is losing players all over the country

Exactly. So why was just recruiting skill enough to hire an inexperienced head coach who need training wheels and didn't check off one other box for critical coach skills?

Wisconsin is one.

Go ahead. I’d be very curious to know the other places that had a scenario like we just had with Hawkins.

(I predict you’ll be dishonest and continue to falsely try to equate scenarios at other schools that are much closer to us losing Ihnen than us losing Hawkins.)

The difference is very clear and very simple. And you’re a smart poster. So I conclude that for some reason you’re pushing this narrative on purpose.
lol....If you want to pretend like other schools aren't losing starters that is on you. I am not going to waste my time pulling together readily available examples of other starters leaving for you.

I'm not pushing a specific narrative but I know that is your thing to always look for or pretend there is some ulterior motive behind everything.....so more power too you.....my fault for engaging with you....

Top Bottom