BREAKING: Elijah Hawkins to transfer

If we find a way into the NCAA tournament next year, we'll all love it.
Correct. No matter how dark it is right now, I for one plan to be hanging in there to see what Ben can put together this spring. If it appears to not be a good product by late May, my season ticket days may be nearing, or at an end. I think we will know in the next 3 weeks or so if we have a chance to compete or not.

Some will, but I am not afraid to admit, I don't care enough to give money to a collective to win college basketball games, so I may not be one of the people that will still care.
Nah, I'm a huge fan but I don't believe I'll ever be donating to the cause either. Unless you count buying the Grey Duck beer haha

I'll hold you to that if we do dance next year - You are not allowed to enjoy it

Totally different thing, football has many more impact players. PJ didn't do to well with the skill players that stand out. Lost a boat load of quarterbacks and running backs
Who outside of Bucky Irving?

Can’t blame guys going to NBA, filipowski and the young guard, everyone else wouldn’t play with the recruits they have coming in, even if they were starters this last year.

I'm pretty certain Roach would still start. Even with all their recruits brought in, they didn't bring a guard in, so I'm certain he would start. Mitchell is probably 50/50.

Can’t blame guys going to NBA, filipowski and the young guard, everyone else wouldn’t play with the recruits they have coming in, even if they were starters this last year.
So you think that the five star players this year, are somehow better than the five stars from last year? And the Five star a d four star guys they lost from 2022?

What makes you think they’ll be prepared? What is different about them?

Pitino went to the NCAA tournament 2 of the first 3 years Coyle was here. If Coyle is to blame now, shouldn't he get credit for that?

Coyle isn't in over his head, he's been one of the best AD's the Gophers have had in a long time. He's also pretty highly regarded around the country.

BJ also gets paid more than Coyle and just has to find and keep 7 players to be competitive. Coyle gets paid less to deal with 260 employees.

Your blame of where the basketball program stands continues to be completely misdirected.
He oversees the program, he hired and manages the current coach (proudly btw) the trajectory of 8+ years is way down from a mediocre program back then, and we are getting outworked on the NIL side from no name schools. Football also has dipped (I would guess NIL will hit them hard also)

Who here cares how well women's soccer is doing right now?

He oversees the program, he hired and manages the current coach (proudly btw) the trajectory of 8+ years is way down from a mediocre program back then, and we are getting outworked on the NIL side from no name schools. Football also has dipped (I would guess NIL will hit them hard also)

Who here cares how well women's soccer is doing right now?
It was a total lack of vision to hire Ben when he did.

For me, college sports was way more important than pro sports. For BB and FB anyway. Now, like many of you, I hate what is happening. I am about at the “couldn’t care any less” stage for college basketball. These aren’t students at the university - here to go to school and play sports anymore. The NCAA is ruining something great. And it isn’t just unlimited transfers and NIL money. It is adding schools from Rutgers on one coast to all the PAC 10 schools on the other all joining the big ten. Ridiculous. The entire things is just horrible.
well said

Pitino was here long before Coyle was hired. Maybe next year Coyle will actually be able to interview who he wants to interview and not have his candidate pool limited by the new president like it was by the last one.
Yes, and Trump won the 2020 election, the Covid vaccine was a hoax, and aliens landed in Roswell, New Mexico, but it is being covered up by the CIA. Enough already! This is about the transfer portal.

what on earth was that for?
Tired of the unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about why CBJ was hired. (That Coyle was told to hire a black coach because of George Floyd.)

LOL.
Yesterday: "You can't fire Johnson. We have to keep the players."
Players leave.
Today: "You can't fire Johnson. All the players will leave."
Not even close to what I said but feel free to interpret however you want I guess.

Have said in multiple threads recently that they could fire Johnson tomorrow with little to no pushback from anyone in the fanbase. But this current problem is bigger than Johnson and firing the coach isn't going to fix it. So you may as well ride out the upcoming season and go from there.

If the team struggles then Johnson almost certainly gets fired after the 24/25 season.

What? Maybe 250 point guards in the portal? Next play....go get a better one!

And we got the Cherry kid to play the point...so it can be bandaged or improved depending on how we respond.

Last edited:

Two things can be true:

1) The system is a joke
2) BJ is not the right coach

I dont blame him for Hawkins leaving...I don't blame him for Payne leaving. Not much he can do about that. But he is not the guy I would want rebuilding my team every year. We need a guy who coached a mid-major and has experience with this.

The vast majority of teams, including Power Conference Teams, are slowly being forced into Mid-Major status. If the NCAA thinks people are going to pay big money to watch that long term I got beachfront property in Waterloo, IA to sell them.

Tired of the unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about why CBJ was hired. (That Coyle was told to hire a black coach because of George Floyd.)
How would you explain how Ben gets hired and much better qualified candidates are told the interview process is done?

How would you explain how Ben gets hired and much better qualified candidates are told the interview process is done?
He can't. He just doesn't like the explanation.

I’m wondering if it’s both NIL and CBJ not connecting with players too. Certainly, Cam Christie could potentially make more than say, a second round pick in the NBA.
It is not by players not connecting with Ben. That’s stupid. It’s happening everywhere - players have their say coaches, parents, and now agents in their ear telling them they will get more money and they go. And, they don’t all get more in the end. It’s happening everywhere in college hoops - Duke has three returning players, Illinois has three returning players, Wisconsin lost their top players.

I assume Christie is gone to the NBA. The Athletic had him drafted late in the 1st. But if he does stay, throw everything you have to keep him.

Drafted #28 in this:

Cam Christie #39 prospect in this (most recent):

Top Bottom