BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

Nobody likes to be played for a fool at the considerable cost of season tickets.
And they can afford another season. Then you go get your PJ Fleck hire if there is still no sign next season.

Being in a state of rage is a bad time to make a decision. We are in rage right now.
I wouldn't call it rage. My state is more along the lines of dread and deep concern. Part of the concern is that Coyle's arrogance will prevent him from understanding the seriousness of this situation.

And they can afford another season. Then you go get your PJ Fleck hire if there is still no sign next season.
How could you possibly think there could be a sign next season? I doubt if Ben even believes he can do what needs doing. He's just getting paid too much not to try.

it's really becoming a catch-22. in today's world, you need NIL to land top recruits. but if a program is struggling, how does it attract the $$ for a competitive NIL option?

shoot - the Gophers just don't have the kind of boosters or fat-cats needed in this climate. If they did, then the buyout would not be an issue. at a lot of programs, if they needed $8-million to buy out a coach, you could get it with a couple of phone calls. But at MN, we don't go in for that sort of stuff. we would rather be honorable......and poor......

Richard Pitino was given five additional years after a season not too dissimilar from this one. No chance this administration would be willing to stand up to the criticism if Ben Johnson wasn't given a similar opportunity. Jim Souhan already has the column written.

Correct. This stings a lot. Doesn't change the fact that Ben Johnson will have next year at the very least. Going to have to retain his freshman class and find a good guard in the portal.

it's really becoming a catch-22. in today's world, you need NIL to land top recruits. but if a program is struggling, how does it attract the $$ for a competitive NIL option?

shoot - the Gophers just don't have the kind of boosters or fat-cats needed in this climate. If they did, then the buyout would not be an issue. at a lot of programs, if they needed $8-million to buy out a coach, you could get it with a couple of phone calls. But at MN, we don't go in for that sort of stuff. we would rather be honorable......and poor......
We need a crazy ass rich donor like UND used to have in Ralph Engelstad

Niko would be good.

Dutcher would be nuts to leave Sand Dog
That would mean he'd be nuts to have the only consequence-free out from his contract there to be leaving for here, which it is. Why would he have that in his contract if he knew how insane it would be? What you're saying makes no sense.

I wouldn't call it rage. My state is more along the lines of dread and deep concern. Part of the concern is that Coyle's arrogance will prevent him from understanding the seriousness of this situation.
I am in rage, and have been close to it for months. This puts me over the top. There is NO WAY Coyle doesn't see the seriousness of the situation. He may decide to hold on another year, but he is no idiot. This is a disaster. Whose making the disaster is will be debated, but I think most of us believe Coyle was under at least some duress to make the hire.

I agree on the catch-22. But I disagree on the bolded, I don't think honor has anything to do with it. Maybe when it was illegal, but not now. How hard would it be to come up with NIL for hockey, for example? I think we'd fund that team if needed. We're just not that big of basketball fans.

That would mean he'd be nuts to have the only consequence-free out from his contract there to be leaving for here, which it is. Why would he have that in his contract if he knew how insane it would be? What you're saying makes no sense.
It wasn't my first choice, but Dutcher with possibly Ben as an assistant/eventual successor always made sense to me. I'd still gladly take him without that 2nd part.

He just said yesterday he will "never coach in the B1G" not that he would ever come to MN for obvious reasons.
Leverage. He is building his negotiating power. Thus...in order to come to the B10 (which he said he *wink* would never do...it would have to be for the Brinks Truck)

We have had some...and ticked them off. This woke U stuff doesn't sell that well with business people that toss cash around.
Especially guys like Ralph

How could you possibly think there could be a sign next season? I doubt if Ben even believes he can do what needs doing. He's just getting paid too much not to try.
Really Ben doesn't believe is what you are going with? Mix this group with a couple of transfers of the right fit and they will make progress next season. How much we'll see.

If they don't and get a new coach, I'll still be my positive supporting self with the new coach.

Outside of Musselman, is anyone else a true HR?

Don't do it all? To what end? This is literally as bad as this program has ever been in 100+ years. There are dozens of coaches who are not HR's who would still be large upgrades over this.
Our basketball program is now at a place (actually worse) than our football program was after Brew. For all of his goofiness, Coach Kill is a competent coach. At this point, if we can't get the HR hire, just go get someone competent.

I was kind of kidding, but I'd absolutely take Tauer over Ben Johnson (but he might not take the job). Go find someone who can coach basketball and has some sort of track record.

I’m pretty sure the odds of us getting a new coach are way worse than Coyle getting a new couch

Top Bottom