BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

Richard Pitino was given five additional years after a season not too dissimilar from this one. No chance this administration would be willing to stand up to the criticism if Ben Johnson wasn't given a similar opportunity. Jim Souhan already has the column written.

Don't release him.

We have nothing to lose.
All that would do is make him ineligible to play next season.

Wouldn't prevent him from going to another school, and I assume not even from getting a scholarship from that school while he takes a redshirt year.

Makes us come off as extremely petty and that doesn't go over with recruits.

Need to offer a mountain of cash, you'll get lots of takers then.

If they aren't going to break the bank and go for a homerun- then don't do it at all.
I don't mind breaking the bank, but I am skeptical of the people making the decision on the hire, thus blowing the wad.

That was what happened after Tubby was fired. No one would touch the job because they thought he got hosed. Ben doesn't have that stature, but the new guy will need the powers of Kennisaw Mountain Landes in order to take the job.
What's the precedent of a bombed-out program looking for a coach, and what caliber of coach were they able to find? It seems to me that only an up-and-comer would want to take this on, and it would have to be a man with a plan, perhaps someone who's coached at a lower level but knows what to do and how to do it.

What's the precedent of a bombed-out program looking for a coach, and what caliber of coach were they able to find? It seems to me that only an up-and-comer would want to take this on, and it would have to be a man with a plan, perhaps someone who's coached at a lower level but knows what to do and how to do it.
Picking the right up and comer might be more difficult than breaking the bank on someone looking to cash out at the end of his career. Does Terry Holland ring a bell to you? We've blown it on two up and comers this century already.

Picking the right up and comer might be more difficult than breaking the bank on someone looking to cash out at the end of his career. Does Terry Holland ring a bell to you? We've blown it on two up and comers this century already.
Terry Holland. If only his wife didn't hate winter. I wonder how that would have turned out.

People need to remember that to win in the B1G you have to have a strong upper class. I posted the roster data for this year previously. We do not have that right now. It will come, but people on here are going to struggle to have the patience. I'm on board for one more year and then assess.

I think it's closer to 7k and many of those are not showing up.
Early in the year when 2-3k were showing up for the non conference games they were reporting 8500 paid attendance. So that is the season ticket base - including student season tickets. I think 7000 adult season tickets is about right. I'd say 5500 next year + the students is about right. I am going to be done after holding them since '86 and actually having them off and on since the 1970s as a student and then afterwards.

People need to remember that to win in the B1G you have to have a strong upper class. I posted the roster data for this year previously. We do not have that right now. It will come, but people on here are going to struggle to have the patience. I'm on board for one more year and then assess.
Nobody likes to be played for a fool at the considerable cost of season tickets.

Damn. Checking the basketball board has become a painful thing to do.
Being a Gopher basketball fan was painful long before GH. This doesn't hurt as much as the hits that involved multiple players (yet); but I've got the same sickening feeling as when Pryzbilla bailed mid-season right after a big win. Not sure how Ben can dig himself out of this kick in the nuts.

It's too late now, but obviously the correct choice then was Craig Smith. I heard he didn't even get a call from Coyle. That's locked in they were on hiring a Black coach. That's hearsay.

Anyway, it would have to be someone like that, I guess.

Looks like Colorado State is down this year, obviously Niko is there. Be interesting if he kept Thorson.

Brian Dutcher is still there and SDSU is leading the MW and ranked at the moment.

Enough of your rationality. Be gone!;)

Thanks. 5666 now. I would bet less than 4800 next year if Johnson is still the coach.
I'm thinking that doesn't include students, so 7-8K overall would make sense. At least they can bribe the students with Dominos so that might not crater as bad.

Top Bottom