BREAKING: ATHAN IN THE PORTAL

Hasn't he also indicated that he will enter the portal? Maybe he changes his mind.
It's been discussed, but I don't know if it's official.
He's graduated, and his linkedin says he's looking for a job this spring.

Plus, with the number of guys in the portal, would he really get picked up?

I don't think Fleck helps with the confidence of the QBs sometimes. When you continue to show no confidence in the guy, then they're going to be play tight not trying to make a mistake. This is the guy you picked as your QB, let him play.

And, at the same time, when the game is out of hand, get him out of the game. Continuing to make mistakes in a blowout can't help a guy's confidence.

Let him play, and, at the same time, get him out of the game?

You remind me of an old boss of mine...

Let him play, and, at the same time, get him out of the game?

You remind me of an old boss of mine...
I'm talking about two completely different situations. Close game, chance to win it and Fleck goes conservative because he doesn't trust his QB. At least go down swinging instead of watching strike 3 if you're going to lose.

The second point is in a blowout situation like we saw against Ohio St.

Yes, the offense changed. I posted the stats in another thread where the Gopher's passing mix was the highest in Fleck's tenure (57.7% run/42.3% pass in conference play). You just didn't notice because the passing game was often ineffective...largely due to a QB that has inconsistent accuracy and can't complete a crossing route that's so important in the play action pass game.
I get 61% run plays, 39% pass plays using the stats on Gophersports. If they have 20 pass attempts in the bowl game, Gophs will have averaged two more pass attempts per game compared to 2022.

I'm talking about two completely different situations. Close game, chance to win it and Fleck goes conservative because he doesn't trust his QB. At least go down swinging instead of watching strike 3 if you're going to lose.

The second point is in a blowout situation like we saw against Ohio St.

Thanks for clarifying.

Will be interesting to see if this is the start of a mass exodus. I will be shocked and ecstatic if DT is here for the bowl game.

The market for proven starters appears to be 7 figures or close to it based some of the latest reports, safe to say gophers won’t be shopping in that department. They will need to take a bit of a flyer and hope it work.
Ohhhhhhhhh reeeeaaaaallly?!?

Tell us who you’re talking about. Who are these proven starters on the market for 1-million?

as noted elsewhere on the board - Drew Viotto is also entering the portal.

So the QB room for the bowl is down to Cole Kramer and Shik (not going to try and spell it).

Kramer walked with the Senior players on Senior Day - usually a pretty strong indication that he thinks his career at MN is done.

in other words, after the bowl game, Shik will be the only returning QB on the roster.

over/under on # of carries for Jordan Nubin at the bowl game starts with 40.

So, with the 2 viable scholarship QBs entering the portal is this a sign that there is a silent verbal already from a transfer QB? It's a bit scary if there's not. Cole Kramer and walkon Shikenjanski being the only available QBs for a bowl game? May be enough to beat some MAC school anyway.

And is this evidence for or against the retention of Harbaugh? One would think PJ would have acted on that right away if he's planning to make moves and get a transfer QB.

as noted elsewhere on the board - Drew Viotto is also entering the portal.

So the QB room for the bowl is down to Cole Kramer and Shik (not going to try and spell it).

Kramer walked with the Senior players on Senior Day - usually a pretty strong indication that he thinks his career at MN is done.

in other words, after the bowl game, Shik will be the only returning QB on the roster.

over/under on # of carries for Jordan Nubin at the bowl game starts with 40.
I'm convinced Fleck will ask Kramer to come back now just for depth.

Hoping they bring in a 1-year QB transfer and then another guy that was maybe just a freshman somewhere else.

Yeah, but that'd be true if we had prime Tom Brady at QB with prime Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison at wideout.

now I'm imagining Fleck trying to coach Moss. I think that would go about as well as when Childress tried to coach Moss.

I get 61% run plays, 39% pass plays using the stats on Gophersports. If they have 20 pass attempts in the bowl game, Gophs will have averaged two more pass attempts per game compared to 2022.

I did conference only stats because kicking ass on G5 and FCS teams skews the totals.

Would have loved to see Bud Grant coach Moss. How about Parcells?

Belichick didn't stick with Moss very long.

from what some of the old-time writers say, Bud let a lot of off-field stuff slide - just as long as the player showed up for practice and performed on game day. the difference is that back then, the media didn't report on a lot of the off-field stuff or the team kept it quiet.

from what some of the old-time writers say, Bud let a lot of off-field stuff slide - just as long as the player showed up for practice and performed on game day. the difference is that back then, the media didn't report on a lot of the off-field stuff or the team kept it quiet.

He also ran the great Alan Page off because Page insisted on pursuing his love of running for fitness and lost a bunch of weight.

Bud may have tolerated off-field stuff, but he didn't appreciate players challenging his authority.

Yeah, but that'd be true if we had prime Tom Brady at QB with prime Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison at wideout.
PJ did at least show that he was willing to throw the ball more often when he had the talent at receiver in 2019.

I wonder which Division 2 school will need a baby calf bounce passer?

I couldn't disagree more. We can talk all we want about bringing in a QB "to compete." But transfer QBs don't choose a new school to compete -- especially those with one year left, like the one we offered from New Hampshire. Heck, maybe Fleck even told Athan he was bringing someone in to compete. But Athan is smarter than that.
Fleck said less than a month ago he wouldn't go the Portal route for a QB fix. Now he did which tells me that he only did so knowing AK was not coming back.

Why is he not coming back? Nobody will ever know for sure unless they hear it straight from AK.

Fleck said less than a month ago he wouldn't go the Portal route for a QB fix. Now he did which tells me that he only did so knowing AK was not coming back.

Why is he not coming back? Nobody will ever know for sure unless they hear it straight from AK.
Probably because they told him he may not be/will not be the starter next year.

Yeah there were more than a handful of screwballs on those teams Grant coached.

You really think PJ was going to publicly talk about getting a portal QB a month before the season was over when they were 5-3?

I wish him well and hope he excels.

On the one hand he didn't play well but he's still earlier in his career. Some questioned how well he was maximized by coaching, don't know.

I would take a chance on him.

Would be nice for Gophers to grab someone with less uncertainty.

Sorry but who is Max Browsner (sp)? The Strib seems to indicate that AK transfer was byproduct of us offering him transfer scholarship?

Top Bottom