Brandon Johnson enters the Transfer Portal

lol...this is the straw that broke the camel's back for you?

This is a non-factor. Would have been nice to have Johnson on the roster next year but wasn't going to drastically affect the teams fortunes one way or the other.
Yes he would.

He was the best player left on the roster and BY A MILE the hardest worker.

Gophers 10, to-date, is 19% of B1G to be on the portal or to have actual transfer? In other words does the 53 exclude those who have recommited to their current school?
The numbers reflect everyone that was in the portal at about 3pm yesterday. It changes by the minute. If a player goes back to their school they are no longer in the portal, so they would not be counted as currently being in the portal. In other words, no they are not in the numbers that I posted.

The website has four guys on the roster:
Now 5, added Sutherlin.
Gach
Ihnen
Loewen
Battle
And then word is we have:
Thompson
Fox
Willis
That’s 8 guys...anybody else?
And are the last 3 maybes or why aren’t they included?

Last edited:

Now 5, added Sutherlin.
Gach
Ihnen
Loewen
Battle
Thompson
Fox
Willis
I would imagine not all can be announced as officially signed and on the roster due to details they are resolving with the old school or just can't quite enroll at this time. I'm sure as we enter into June all commitments we have received will become official.

Now 5, added Sutherlin.
Gach
Ihnen
Loewen
Battle
Thompson
Fox
Willis
There's Stephens as well, and because the athletic department likes to take their sweet time with stuff like this for whatever reason.

Not ideal. Hopefully we have some positive movement on transfers soon.

In a year when you've already lost guys to Wichita State, New Mexico, Northern Illinois and Pacific, it doesn't seem that bad.
Dumb. Didn’t really “lose” those guys. You assume they were all wanted. Seeing where they have ended up likely a good thing to start new. People need to relax.

Dumb. Didn’t really “lose” those guys. You assume they were all wanted. Seeing where they have ended up likely a good thing to start new. People need to relax.
Not sure what worries me more: we couldn’t convince more to stay or that we didn’t want them.

Didn't Ben tell them all "he chose them"? Don't most coaches tell all returning players they're welcome? We can't spin this as "we didn't want them anyway" it's not true.

Didn't Ben tell them all "he chose them"? Don't most coaches tell all returning players they're welcome? We can't spin this as "we didn't want them anyway" it's not true.
He had honest conversations with them. They take it from there. Not that hard...

Not sure what worries me more: we couldn’t convince more to stay or that we didn’t want them.
Look where they landed. If they were Big Ten quality players they would end up at quality programs. Majority did not. It’s kind of funny how people think this works. Do we think Smith tried to convince all the Utah players who left to stay? Of course not.

Look where they landed. If they were Big Ten quality players they would end up at quality programs. Majority did not. It’s kind of funny how people think this works. Do we think Smith tried to convince all the Utah players who left to stay? Of course not.
Exactly. If those are the programs they are moving to then that may say something about the level of their play. It doesn’t look like any Top P5 programs were scrambling to get our old players. It looks like several P5 programs coveted many D2 or D3 players over the ones we “lost”.

Exactly. If those are the programs they are moving to then that may say something about the level of their play. It doesn’t look like any Top P5 programs were scrambling to get our old players. It looks like several P5 programs coveted many D2 or D3 players over the ones we “lost”.
None of the top power 5 conference teams went after D2 and D3 players but agree with the point that Ben very likely did not want all of them.

Should update the thread title for the guys once they commit somewhere, difficult to keep separate the threads where someone picked a school vs the ones with bickering

I don't think having 1 (as of now) returning player is a good look for Johnson. No way that was in any way part of the plan. It would have been nice to hang on to some of the younger players from last year's roster (Mashburn/Freeman/Mitchell/Williams) and see what you have with some of them. They could have easily moved on after next year. I'd rather lose next year with young players whom you could develop than lose with a bunch of grad transfers that won't see the court in the '22-'23 season. You will end up replacing all those guys again anyway. That doesn't develop or sustain culture in my opinion.

With Fox's injury U has 7 players. No big man yet...should be an interesting summer...followed by an interest BB season...followed by recruiting. Hope this all works out but right now Vegas odds are not good.

Top Bottom