Brandon Johnson enters the Transfer Portal

It seems like Ia. State and the Gophers hired new coaches at approximately the same time. Does anyone have a comparison between the two programs as to recruits and hiring assistants.
I wouldn't necessarily say Iowa State has improved the roster much in their turnover. Their top guys all left and the ones brought in don't move the needle. Yes, they've gotten 2 2022 commits, but neither looks like a difference maker.

The Gophers will suck next season, but give the new guy a couple seasons.

I wonder if our AD fully considered the possibility that all but two players would quit the team upon Pitino's dismissal. Johnson has been set up to fail in Years 1 and 2.
I wonder if all the gholers with acute PDS considered the possibility that all but two players would quit the team upon Pitino’s dismissal. Probably not but at least they got what they wanted.

lol...this is the straw that broke the camel's back for you?

This is a non-factor. Would have been nice to have Johnson on the roster next year but wasn't going to drastically affect the teams fortunes one way or the other.
Exactly! I liked johnson, but if I cant find a guy out of 1400 guys that is just as good as johnson than shame on our coaching staff.

Next year kind of reminds me of Clem's first year. 2-16 in Big Ten, 9-19 overall. A patchwork roster, but you could begin to see what he was trying to accomplish. Willie Burton was very raw, Melvin Newbern wasn't eligible, they were recruiting a local guy named Kven Lynch who was supposed to be okay......

Hopefully we will see some signs of hope next year......

Exactly! I liked johnson, but if I cant find a guy out of 1400 guys that is just as good as johnson than shame on our coaching staff.

There aren't 1,400 uncommitted guys in the portal anymore. I don't know the number but I'd say it's significantly below 1,000. That's still a lot but the pickings are slimmer than they were 3 weeks ago and quality big men, especially centers, are harder to come by than quality guards. Probably 40% to 50% of the available ones aren't worth taking.

There aren't 1,400 uncommitted guys in the portal anymore. I don't know the number but I'd say it's significantly below 1,000. That's still a lot but the pickings are slimmer than they were 3 weeks ago and quality big men, especially centers, are harder to come by than quality guards. Probably 40% to 50% of the available ones aren't worth taking.
Your probably right. Still should find a guy that can play better than johnson!

Next year kind of reminds me of Clem's first year. 2-16 in Big Ten, 9-19 overall. A patchwork roster, but you could begin to see what he was trying to accomplish. Willie Burton was very raw, Melvin Newbern wasn't eligible, they were recruiting a local guy named Kven Lynch who was supposed to be okay......

Hopefully we will see some signs of hope next year......
Clem had the great fortune of inheriting Dutch's class of Newbern, Schick and Burton all of whom became really good players. Unfortunately, Ben is going to have to do it almost all on his own. Other than that I think that the comparison is excellent. Next year will be tough.

Your probably right. Still should find a guy that can play better than johnson!
I saw Johnson as one of our more solid all around players. I don't see that as an easy replacement.
What has me puzzled is that he has been here for a month or so with BJ and made the decision to look elsewhere. Yet when Pitino was still in play Brandon was anxious to return as a Gopher.

I saw Johnson as one of our more solid all around players. I don't see that as an easy replacement.
What has me puzzled is that he has been here for a month or so with BJ and made the decision to look elsewhere. Yet when Pitino was still in play Brandon was anxious to return as a Gopher.
This is probably more procedural than anything else. He is still testing the NBA waters as well so it is unlikely that he would commit to any other school.

We need a new AD. He hired on the cheap instead of paying for a coach with head coaching experience and some name recognition. I doubt that we would have lost as many players with a stronger hire. Furthermore, we would be getting stronger players from the transfer portal.

The Administration learned nothing from the Pitino hire. They hired someone with inadequate coaching experience and hoped the father's reputation would draw players to Minnesota. We took an unnecessary step backwards with Pitino before he started winning some games. We are going to take a big step or two backwards with our new coach. Hopefully, his learning curve with be quicker than pitino's.
I wouldn't say on the cheap (a quick relative comparison of some of the Big10 coaches):
Coach, SchoolStarting SalaryHC Exp At HireOther Notables
Greg Gard, Wisconsin$ 638,000Coach or Assistant coach for 25 years prior to hire, WI Assoc HC for 7 yrs
Richard Pitino, Minnesota$ 1,20,0000
1​
Son of Rick Pitino, FIU HC 1 yr, Asst coach for 8 yrs including Florida & Louisville
Juwan Howard, Michigan$ 2,000,0002× NBA champion, NBA All-Star, All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Rookie Second Team, Second-team All-American, Third-team All-American, Miami Heat Assistant coach 6 years
Steve Pikiell, Rutgers$ 1,400,000
11​
College Asst Coach for 15 yrs, Stony Brook HC 11 yrs
Ben Johnson$ 2,000,000College Asst coach for 15 yrs including MN, Nebraska, & Xavier
Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska$ 2,500,000
5​
10 yr NBA player, 115-56 W/L rate as IA ST HC -- Hired at IA St for $850,000 per year
Fran McCaffery, Iowa$ 800,000
14​
MAAC Coach of the Year (2009), Asst coach for 12 years
Matt Painter, Purdue$ 1,290,000
1​
Asst Coach 11 years, As HC MVC Coach of the Year w 25-5 record one time AP top 15
Chris Collins, Northwestern$ 1,340,00015 years Asst Coach -- 13 yrs at Duke
Brad Underwood, Illinois$ 2,700,000
8​
7 years Asst Coach, 4 yr CC HC, Southland Coach of the Year, 1 yr at OK St: 20–13 & NCAA appearance
Archie Miller, Indiana$ 3,200,000
6​
8 years Asst Coach (OSU, Arizona, NC St), Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year (2017), 139-63 as Dayton HC
Mark Turgeon, Maryland$ 2,365,000
13​
11 Years Asst Coach (Kansas, Oregon, NBA), MVC Coach of the Year (2006), TX A&M 97-40 record 4 NCAA appearances API high 9
Chris Holtmann, Ohio St.$7,100,000/3,000,000
7​
12 Years Asst Coach, All-American (1994), John McLendon National Coach of the Year (2017), Jim Phelan Award (2018) Big South Coach of the Year (2013), Big East Coach of the Year (2017)

Clem had the great fortune of inheriting Dutch's class of Newbern, Schick and Burton all of whom became really good players. Unfortunately, Ben is going to have to do it almost all on his own. Other than that I think that the comparison is excellent. Next year will be tough.
Yeah, the craziness of this year also just made it so much easier for people to move around. Whenever there is a new coach, there is uncertainty (we see transfers whenever there is a coach change), so the amount of turnover was to be expected.

Next year, there will be a ton of transfers too, so it'll be interesting to see if we are positioned to scoop up some of the higher rated guys.

I wouldn't say on the cheap (a quick relative comparison of some of the Big10 coaches):
Coach, SchoolStarting SalaryHC Exp At HireOther Notables
Greg Gard, Wisconsin$ 638,000Coach or Assistant coach for 25 years prior to hire, WI Assoc HC for 7 yrs
Richard Pitino, Minnesota$ 1,20,0000
1​
Son of Rick Pitino, FIU HC 1 yr, Asst coach for 8 yrs including Florida & Louisville
Juwan Howard, Michigan$ 2,000,0002× NBA champion, NBA All-Star, All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Rookie Second Team, Second-team All-American, Third-team All-American, Miami Heat Assistant coach 6 years
Steve Pikiell, Rutgers$ 1,400,000
11​
College Asst Coach for 15 yrs, Stony Brook HC 11 yrs
Ben Johnson$ 2,000,000College Asst coach for 15 yrs including MN, Nebraska, & Xavier
Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska$ 2,500,000
5​
10 yr NBA player, 115-56 W/L rate as IA ST HC -- Hired at IA St for $850,000 per year
Fran McCaffery, Iowa$ 800,000
14​
MAAC Coach of the Year (2009), Asst coach for 12 years
Matt Painter, Purdue$ 1,290,000
1​
Asst Coach 11 years, As HC MVC Coach of the Year w 25-5 record one time AP top 15
Chris Collins, Northwestern$ 1,340,00015 years Asst Coach -- 13 yrs at Duke
Brad Underwood, Illinois$ 2,700,000
8​
7 years Asst Coach, 4 yr CC HC, Southland Coach of the Year, 1 yr at OK St: 20–13 & NCAA appearance
Archie Miller, Indiana$ 3,200,000
6​
8 years Asst Coach (OSU, Arizona, NC St), Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year (2017), 139-63 as Dayton HC
Mark Turgeon, Maryland$ 2,365,000
13​
11 Years Asst Coach (Kansas, Oregon, NBA), MVC Coach of the Year (2006), TX A&M 97-40 record 4 NCAA appearances API high 9
Chris Holtmann, Ohio St.$7,100,000/3,000,000
7​
12 Years Asst Coach, All-American (1994), John McLendon National Coach of the Year (2017), Jim Phelan Award (2018) Big South Coach of the Year (2013), Big East Coach of the Year (2017)
Pretty misleading on Gard. UW does it differently and lists his salary as what is paid by the athletic department but the pay far more through the UW Foundation.

I wonder if all the gholers with acute PDS considered the possibility that all but two players would quit the team upon Pitino’s dismissal. Probably not but at least they got what they wanted.
So we could go 7-13 in conference next season and barely miss the NIT?

Yeah that is a little interesting. Seems like Ben isn't telling anyone they're going to start and he'll analyze during training camp. Players want that promise or they're out

It's so weird looking at recruits on 247 and see that we have 0 on the roster and 0 incoming. Where every other team has bodies.

According to Verbal Commits (3pm 5/4/21), there are 1539 players that are currently in the portal, 772 uncommitted to a new school. Of those 772 players here is the breakdown of how they are ranked coming out of high school:

5 stars - 2
4 stars - 27
3 stars - 69
2 stars - 674

Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of the players in the transfer portal:
251 players from 73 - P6 schools are in the portal.

Avg of 3.4/team

54 - ACC (14 schools - 3.9/team)
17 - Big 12 (10 schools - 1.7/team)
15 - Big East (9 schools - 1.7/team)
53 - Big Ten (14 schools - 3.8/team)
51 - Pac 12 (12 schools - 4.3/team)
61 - SEC (14 schools - 4.4/team)

(edit - missed 4 players from Kansas...)

Last edited:

According to Verbal Commits (3pm 5/4/21), there are 1539 players that are currently in the portal, 772 uncommitted to a new school. Of those 772 players here is the breakdown of how they are ranked coming out of high school:

5 stars - 2
4 stars - 27
3 stars - 69
2 stars - 674

Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of the players in the transfer portal:

Avg of 3.4/team

Thank you for that info.

So, arguably, there are less than 100 viable, good egg, excellent basketball candidates in the portal, according to their rankings from high school.
Sure some two stars could have blossomed but ...
And there are 347 basketball schools looking for a guy to come and improve their team.
We are a Big Ten team with playing time but we also have concerns to prospective recruits. Kind of an uphill reality filling the roster.
Guess wrong on high school guys and you might be stuck with em for four years.
Brandon Johnson won’t be easy peazy to replace.

So, arguably, there are less than 100 viable, good egg, excellent basketball candidates in the portal, according to their rankings from high school.
Sure some two stars could have blossomed but ...
And there are 347 basketball schools looking for a guy to come and improve their team.
We are a Big Ten team with playing time but we also have concerns to prospective recruits. Kind of an uphill reality filling the roster.
Guess wrong on high school guys and you might be stuck with em for four years.
Brandon Johnson won’t be easy peazy to replace.
kinda. Most of all the small school players that have moved up were most likely 2 star players. The portal does give bigger schools a chance to reload and sort out theists from high school. Also, there are new players being added to the list every day, just like Johnson just joined the list.

5 stars - 2
4 stars - 27
3 stars - 69
2 stars - 674

Avg of 3.4/team

Gophers 10, to-date, is 19% of B1G to be on the portal or to have actual transfer? In other words does the 53 exclude those who have recommited to their current school?

Gophers 10, to-date, is 19% of B1G to be on the portal or to have actual transfer? In other words does the 53 exclude those who have recommited to their current school?
I might be mistaken, and it may depend on how quickly the list is updated, but if you re-committed to your current school, wouldn't you come off the Transfer Portal list? What difference does it make which school you committed to? Seems like moving to a new one or committing to your old school would do the same thing to your name being on the Portal list.

Pretty misleading on Gard. UW does it differently and lists his salary as what is paid by the athletic department but the pay far more through the UW Foundation.
Not my intention to mislead. If you have a better source, please post it rather than make a statement with no information. Here is my source:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/.

From the link, you can click on any coach to get their pay history.

I posted each coach's starting Big Ten salary from the link, which I assume is school-paid salary. Make sense?

I am sure a lot of them have other sources of pay, not sure who is tracking that information, but I look forward to seeing your information for each of the coaches. It helps put pay (high/low) into context.

Not my intention to mislead. If you have a better source, please post it rather than make a statement with no information. Here is my source:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/.

From the link, you can click on any coach to get their pay history.

I posted each coach's starting Big Ten salary from the link, which I assume is school-paid salary. Make sense?

I am sure a lot of them have other sources of pay, not sure who is tracking that information, but I look forward to seeing your information for each of the coaches. It helps put pay (high/low) into context.
The most comparable coach on the list to Ben Johnson is probably Chris Collins at Northwestern. He also had no prior HC experience. He was a similar statistical basketball player to Johnson at Duke. He was an asst for 15 years, (13 for Krzyzewski). Johnson was also an asst for 15 years.

I might be mistaken, and it may depend on how quickly the list is updated, but if you re-committed to your current school, wouldn't you come off the Transfer Portal list? What difference does it make which school you committed to? Seems like moving to a new one or committing to your old school would do the same thing to your name being on the Portal list.
Just looking for context.

Top Bottom