Brandon Brown: I think Minnesota was a flash in the pan last year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Brandon:

Michigan's first crack at a top-ten team on the road could be on October 17 in Minneapolis against the Golden Gophers. Most expect Minnesota to be ranked somewhere in the 14-18 range to start the year, but with games against Iowa, BYU and Wisconsin ahead of the tilt with Michigan, PJ Fleck and his Gophers could easily be inside the top ten again if they're on a roll like they were in 2019.

Tanner Morgan is going to be one of the best quarterbacks in the Big Ten next year and that can take a solid, well-coached team to another level. That's what happened with the Gophers in 2019 and, if it happens again in 2020, U-M will likely have a chance to take down a top-ten squad in their house.

I actually don't think it's going to play out like that. I think Minnesota was a flash in the pan last year and will have at least one loss by the time they welcome the Wolverines to TCF Bank Stadium. I expect the Gophers to be ranked when U-M comes to town, but not inside the top ten.

That means U-M will only have one chance to earn a road win against a top-ten team — in Columbus.

Go Gophers!!

Brown's a dick.

That means U-M will only have one chance to earn a road win against a top-ten team — in Columbus

bwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwah

Dink alert!!!!!! Bran"dink" Brown.

per Brandon:

I actually don't think it's going to play out like that. I think Minnesota was a flash in the pan last year and will have at least one loss by the time they welcome the Wolverines to TCF Bank Stadium. I expect the Gophers to be ranked when U-M comes to town, but not inside the top ten.

That's not exactly a "flash in the pan". I would be pretty happy with 1 loss and ranked by the time Michigan happens. That means at least one of Iowa and Wisconsin was a win and we're in good shape for a 8-10+ win season.

per Brandon:

Michigan's first crack at a top-ten team on the road could be on October 17 in Minneapolis against the Golden Gophers. Most expect Minnesota to be ranked somewhere in the 14-18 range to start the year, but with games against Iowa, BYU and Wisconsin ahead of the tilt with Michigan, PJ Fleck and his Gophers could easily be inside the top ten again if they're on a roll like they were in 2019.

Tanner Morgan is going to be one of the best quarterbacks in the Big Ten next year and that can take a solid, well-coached team to another level. That's what happened with the Gophers in 2019 and, if it happens again in 2020, U-M will likely have a chance to take down a top-ten squad in their house.

That means U-M will only have one chance to earn a road win against a top-ten team — in Columbus.

Go Gophers!!

giphy.gif

Flash in the pan - NO; Good chance we have one loss - YES; While I think we can go undefeated, I would not be surprised with 1 loss. It would still mean we beat either Iowa or Becky. I also think we would beat Michigan and have a good chance of winning the rest. I do think there is a better chance we are top 10 at the end of the season than top 10 when we play Michigan. Thousand way guy could have wrote article without insulting MN. Jerk!!

Typical Michigan dink!

One loss at that point would be just fine, especially if it was to BYU! That way we could roll up the Khakis and get the reunification of the rivalry trophies finished with a victory!

If undefeated by this game, then both Floyd and the Axe will be home...along with the Chair and the Bell already here from last season.

Might as well throw in the Outback Bowl Trophy too since that was not a cupcake game.

No extra motivation around "let's add the Jug" to the trophy case scenario...

Maybe progress.

You've got to think of this from a Michigan fan and/or writer point of view. Arrogance is their calling card. How could a Gopher season of 11-2 ever be seen as anything more than a flash in the pan from the viewpoint of Ann Arbor? It would be more surprising if the guy had written something about how the Gophers have taken Michigan's place near the top of the B1G, and they're here to stay.

It is the slow season for FB and writers and fans are bored.
Predictions of what will happen next year on the field are as valid as predicting the weather on game days next October.
As always for most teams in the BIG West injuries before the season starts and in the first few games along with lack of depth will determine the outcome of the season.

When 10K+ fans (including me) storm the field after beating Michigan, and it is played on loop on BTN and ESPN all day long, he will see it was not a flash in pan.

When 10K+ fans (including me) storm the field after beating Michigan, and it is played on loop on BTN and ESPN all day long, he will see it was not a flash in pan.
Michigan’s goose is going to be flash fried.

Does he leave out that they play Washington, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan State before playing MN?

Beating Michigan is not charge the field worthy. Our "flash in the pan" season is better than anything they have done or will do in a while. They are slightly above beating Nebraska.

Why would fans storm the field after beating a team barely over .500?

Brown is hoping we aren't top 10 since Khaki pants is 1-9 while at scUM

Why would fans storm the field after beating a team barely over .500?

Brown is hoping we aren't top 10 since Khaki pants is 1-9 while at scUM
I just want to get my hands on The Jug. I will storm the field by myself, not expecting to get too far.........

Will you storm the field after the Michigan game when JD runs back a punt for a game winning TD? Jet Sweep?

I just want to get my hands on The Jug. I will storm the field by myself, not expecting to get too far.........
I'll watch for you!

-stares through binoculars-

Oh man there he goes!

Oh ... oh no ... that's gonna hurt....

Does he leave out that they play Washington, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan State before playing MN?

That's a great point, Maxy.

Wisconsin plays Indiana, Appalachian State, @ Michigan, Notre Dame before they play Minnesota.

Iowa plays their cross-state rival Iowa State the week before they venture up I35 to play the Gophers. After Minnesota, the Hawkeyes play NIU, Michigan State, @ Ohio State, @ Penn State.

The schedule looks really interesting for the B1G West next season.

We will not beat Wisconsin...so yes we will have 1 loss but I expect that to be it at that point. I predict we will roll Michigan. Wisconsin will need to lose to Iowa and we will need the win at Nebraska to go to Indy IMO.

Top Bottom