Boy's State Tournament

Gold Vision

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a stream for today's games. It looks like the streaming starts tomorrow.

At halftime Hopkins is up 40-29 over Owatanna. Per Ryan James twitter account, Coleman's stat line is 6-10 from the floor, 2-3 from FT line, 14pts, 3rbs, 2 assists, 2 stls.

Anyone know if there is a stream for today's games. It looks like the streaming starts tomorrow.

At halftime Hopkins is up 40-29 over Owatanna. Per Ryan James twitter account, Coleman's stat line is 6-10 from the floor, 2-3 from FT line, 14pts, 3rbs, 2 assists, 2 stls.

Doesn't it seem that there is a lack of coverage for this? Try to find scores, brackets, game times etc. It's not easy. Then Channel 45 has the games beginning tomorrow - what's up with that? Plus the games are hard to watch with 45's crappy signal (at least for me) let alone not in HD. Add Dave Lee to the mix and it's almost unwatchable...

Doesn't it seem that there is a lack of coverage for this? Try to find scores, brackets, game times etc. It's not easy. Then Channel 45 has the games beginning tomorrow - what's up with that? Plus the games are hard to watch with 45's crappy signal (at least for me) let alone not in HD. Add Dave Lee to the mix and it's almost unwatchable...

It's actually very easy. Mnbasketballhub.com. There is not as much coverage because there are ten times more games in the quarterfinals than in hockey, so they only cover the semi-finals. And quite honestly, the ratings aren't even close to that of the hockey tournament.

Not a real exciting tournament.

Is there anyone in the tournament this year that Tubby is or should be taking a serious look at? I know people have talked about Chambers from Hopkins, but is there really anybody else? Also I heard Alex Illikainen the 8th grader from Grand Rapids had a pretty good game against Shelby Moats and Waconia. I know he's young, but from what I've heard he will be on a lot of people's radar after today's game. Did anyone see the game?

I would really like to see Chisholm play tomorrow, but a 3pm start really sucks when you have to work. I have to hope they make the championship game on Saturday because all the class A games are early in the day. Such is life as a small school!

Is there anyone in the tournament this year that Tubby is or should be taking a serious look at? I know people have talked about Chambers from Hopkins, but is there really anybody else? Also I heard Alex Illikainen the 8th grader from Grand Rapids had a pretty good game against Shelby Moats and Waconia. I know he's young, but from what I've heard he will be on a lot of people's radar after today's game. Did anyone see the game?

Zack Lofton! Go Heights go!

I was at the Waconia-Grand Rapids game. While I wasn't blown away by Alex, he definitely is going to be a very good player by the time he is a senior. He had a couple of airballs early and looked sort of tentative, but he recovered to have a nice 2nd half. Given the fact that he's only in 8th grade, we should probably keep an eye out for him.

Perham is all over Virginia 38-14 at the intermission.

Perham junior Zach Gabbard, the player who almost died on the court, is here tonight. Very emotional player introductions as he was introduced. Also, a very classy move by all the Virginia players to go over to Zach.

Perham junior Zach Gabbard, the player who almost died on the court, is here tonight. Very emotional player introductions as he was introduced. Also, a very classy move by all the Virginia players to go over to Zach.

2 Thumbs up, glad the kid is doin better....good intel.

Zack Lofton! Go Heights go!

I agree. Go Heights go.
I read they had a solid overall performance tonight.
Hopefully they are hungry for more.

Here is all I could find. Not sure if it was for yesterday or not?

http://prep45.kstc45.com/

Go under Live Schedule - showing Columbia Heights - New Prague right now

Here is all I could find. Not sure if it was for yesterday or not?

http://prep45.kstc45.com/

Go under Live Schedule - showing Columbia Heights - New Prague right now

You can use that link to get the games today live if you cannot watch them on Channel 45. We were unable to go live streaming the quarterfinal games yesterday, although we did cover and record all of the quarterfinal games.

However, if you want to watch the quarterfinal games in their entirety I was told the games should be available on Prep45 within the next 48 hours.

EP/Lakeville South was probably the game of the day. Frantic finish - I almost lost my voice.

Illikainen has major upside

While I wasn't blown away by Alex, he definitely is going to be a very good player by the time he is a senior. Given the fact that he's only in 8th grade, we should probably keep an eye out for him.

You may want to factor in that his father was a 6'4" DI defenseman at UMD and an NHL draft choice. He was also an excellent back in football. Uncle Daryl was a 6'6" 300 lb beast at NDSU when they won 4 of 5 national championships. Great athletic background!

I would lock the kid up today if I could. He is probably already tougher than Sampson and catches better than Iverson.

So honestly who looked more impressive, Lofton or Coleman?

After watching both games extensively, Lofton was much more impressive. He willed his team to victory. Driving to the lane making acrobatic shots, hitting deep threes, making clutch steals. He was fun to watch. Joe had some nice dunks and some easy lay ups....I didn't see him hit any shots and his d was OK.

In Colemans defense he plays within a system that hopkins has found to be successful throughout the years, he doesnt force things and was never in a position to "will" his team to victory... i think i will trust the experts who say that coleman is a top 100 recruit, ive seen coleman play a couple times, wasnt one of his more impressive games as a whole...

In Colemans defense he plays within a system that hopkins has found to be successful throughout the years, he doesnt force things and was never in a position to "will" his team to victory... i think i will trust the experts who say that coleman is a top 100 recruit, ive seen coleman play a couple times, wasnt one of his more impressive games as a whole...

Fine he was ranked top 100, but why was his only other decent offer Iowa State? Makes you wonder. He has a nice frame but he doesn't show you much on the court. I don't know, maybe he will thrive at the college level. He doesn't have to do much with Hopkins. Catch the ball and dunk or make a lay up. It's reminiscent of Rodney Williams game. I have seen other games this season so I am not just judging based on what I saw today, either. With that said, I really hope he is successful at the next level.

i like his dribbling more than rodneys, have been to games when he fills up the point column from all over, and some he just gets dunks and layups. I think one thing about his offers is that it was kinda a common though that the U had him from the get go if they offered, he wasnt a blue chip like royce to attract UK UNC etc, and maybe some other highmajors from the midwest looked at it as a lost cause, i dont know just a thought...

i like his dribbling more than rodneys, have been to games when he fills up the point column from all over, and some he just gets dunks and layups. I think one thing about his offers is that it was kinda a common though that the U had him from the get go if they offered, he wasnt a blue chip like royce to attract UK UNC etc, and maybe some other highmajors from the midwest looked at it as a lost cause, i dont know just a thought...

Sorry I confused you a little bit....I didn't mean that his game IS rodneys game. It just reminded me of Rodney because he scores all his points by the rim. Tomorrow night I will be looking a lot more closely at his defensive game and what he does when he doesn't have the ball. Tonight I focused a lot on siyani, and he was actually really impressive to me. Insane passing skills and a great dribbler. I just love his game. He is definitively skinny, which is surely a knock on him right now, but his basketball i.q is off the charts.

You may want to factor in that his father was a 6'4" DI defenseman at UMD and an NHL draft choice. He was also an excellent back in football. Uncle Daryl was a 6'6" 300 lb beast at NDSU when they won 4 of 5 national championships. Great athletic background!

I would lock the kid up today if I could. He is probably already tougher than Sampson and catches better than Iverson.

Haha, sad but true. We'll have to see where the next four years of his career take him.

Are you talking about Zach Lofton who was 1 of 6 from three point land, only had 2 steals, 1 assist and 6 turnovers? Is the boxscore off?

Coleman had 29 and 9 boards. Granted he also had 3 turnovers to no assists.

Wednesday? From an individual aspect? Not really applicable.

The way Hopkins dominates Coleman never really has to press the issue - so if you're wondering who the better player is its hard to tell from watching their high school teams.

Honestly, one of the most impressive players I saw Wednesday was Sophomore PG Gerald McCarver of Minnehaha Academy. But even he was outdone by Redwood Valley Jr. Michael Busack

I saw 6 games on Wed. and 5 yesterday.

1. Hopkins toyed with Owatonna. If Owatonna had actually threatened Hopkins, they would have discovered that Hopkins has a higher gear that it never even engaged. After seeing Hopkins and Cretin on Wednesday, I thought Cretin actually had a chance. Silly me.

2. Sorry to see Johnson drop out early, they are so much fun to watch. Estan Tyler seriously underrated.

3. Alex Illikainen was terrific though in fairness Shelby Moats roasted him early 1-on-1 when the game was actually on the line. Rapids then brought in their 2nd 6-7 guy and played the two of them most of the rest of the way. It was with Moats guarding Spoden that Illikainen did a lot of his damage. Still, he's an 8th grader and he did not look out of place on that court. That alone is saying a lot.

4. Saw Zach Gabbard introduced. Perhams fans went nuts. It was a very nice moment.

5. If this were still a 2 class tournament, somebody from Class A would win Class A, if you see what I mean. This is a terrific field (BBE, MCCRAY, Chisholm and Springfield) in A, not so great in AA though Perham is pretty solid. BBE reminds me of GHEC, just a machine. Seth Hinrichs, 6-7 of MCCRAY, is a better basketball player than Shelby Moats. And Tyler Marz of Springfield isn't a very good basketball player but at 6-8, 285 the future Wisconsin Badger footballer doesn't have to be a great basketball player to be a difference-maker at this level.

Hopkins
Orono
Perham
BBE

1. Hopkins toyed with Owatonna. If Owatonna had actually threatened Hopkins, they would have discovered that Hopkins has a higher gear that it never even engaged. After seeing Hopkins and Cretin on Wednesday, I thought Cretin actually had a chance. Silly me.

Hopkins was up 56-50 with under 7 minutes to play. They won by 14. Your definition of "toying" and "threaten" are much different than mine.

BBE reminds me of GHEC, just a machine. Seth Hinrichs, 6-7 of MCCRAY, is a better basketball player than Shelby Moats.

BBE

Since you have to ask this question,
I'll assume that you didnt get a chance to see the AAA Noon game.
Columbia heights vs. new praugue.

Would anyone care to tell me what the deal is with Lofton?

I was reading the Sansevere column from this morning:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_17694273

And was really curious about this exchange:

BS: Do you plan to go to college and play?

ZL: Yeah.

BS: Where are you going to go?

ZL: I'm not sure.

BS: Have you had offers?

ZL: I can't talk about recruitment. My uncle and them say not to talk about it because (schools) may get turned off.

BS: Is the University of Minnesota in play?

ZL: I'm not sure.

BS: When will you make that decision about where to go?

ZL: Springtime.

OK. So what's the deal? Won't he qualify? Really not that good of a basketball player? Trouble?

Certainly, this kid knows what's going on with his recruitment, who's offered, interested, and what not.

Would anyone care to tell me what the deal is with Lofton?

I was reading the Sansevere column from this morning:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_17694273

And was really curious about this exchange:

OK. So what's the deal? Won't he qualify? Really not that good of a basketball player? Trouble?

Certainly, this kid knows what's going on with his recruitment, who's offered, interested, and what not.

His coach said in todays pioneer press that he is going JUCO route because he doesn't have the grades. Says every big time JUCO school has contacted him. Apparently going D1 out of high school isn't even an option for him or being considered.

I've always had a hunch that Eden Prairie will have the horsepower to have a crack at Hopkins. That said, choosing a side to root for in the 4A final tomorrow night will not be easy. You have two Evil Empires going at it.

As for the small schools, picking a favorite is no easy chore. MACCRAY and BBE were the two best teams I saw at The Barn yesterday. Ditto for Perham and Waterville-Elysian-Morristown in AA Wednesday night. However, Chisholm gums things up enough where they'll never get wiped out. However, if Class A were still Class A, MACCRAY might not even get out of their section...

Rochester Lourdes, Plainview-Elgin-Millville, or Glenville-Emmons (1)
Waterville or Springfield (2)
Redwood Valley, Windom, Montevideo, or MACCRAY (3)
Marantha or Minnehaha (4)
BBE or Zimmerman (5)
Sebeka, Perham, or Upsala (6)
Chisholm or Virginia (7)
Fosston, Thief River Falls, or Bagley (8)

His coach said in todays pioneer press that he is going JUCO route because he doesn't have the grades. Says every big time JUCO school has contacted him. Apparently going D1 out of high school isn't even an option for him or being considered.

Is that what his coach said cuz what I heard was he wasn't impressed with the offers and with the juco route he will pick a big time school cuz he is a big time player....Do know he has offers from missouri state NDSU and couple other D1 schools can't wait to see how this plays out

Top Bottom