Bowls Next Year

SD GOPH!

Reaction score
With the end of the Pac12, what new bowls will the BIG10 get? When will it be announced?

With the end of the Pac12, what new bowls will the BIG10 get? When will it be announced?
I would imagine there will be legal battles that make predictions of what conference gets what bowl tie in a moving target and not a set date.

PAC 12 (2) will argue they still get their top tie ins and they might for the duration of the contract unless the contract had out clauses.
The big ten, big 12, and SEC obviously have more need for more slots now.

I would imagine there will be legal battles that make predictions of what conference gets what bowl tie in a moving target and not a set date.

PAC 12 (2) will argue they still get their top tie ins and they might for the duration of the contract unless the contract had out clauses.
The big ten, big 12, and SEC obviously have more need for more slots now.

The contracts are with the conferences and the games themselves. I'd think that every team but two leaving the conference would void the remainder of the bowl contracts with the Pac-12.

The contracts are with the conferences and the games themselves. I'd think that every team but two leaving the conference would void the remainder of the bowl contracts with the Pac-12.
I am sure the two will tie it up in courts and disagree with you. Depends on how well the bowls covered themselves in the contract

I’m also sure some of the big 12 bowls might prefer to get out of their contracts

B10 has eight Bowls under contract. Rose, Citrus, Tampa, Nashville, Vegas/Mayo (Charlotte), Pinstripe, Phoenix, Quick Lane. Also, you can usually assume the top team is in the playoffs. That is then nine Bowl slots, for 18 teams.

Based on past Bowl contracts/associations, I think we can assume that B10 might poach the Pac12 (2) Bowl slots for the Holiday (San Diego), the Sun (El Paso), and possibly the Alamo (San Antonio).

B10 has eight Bowls under contract. Rose, Citrus, Tampa, Nashville, Vegas/Mayo (Charlotte), Pinstripe, Phoenix, Quick Lane. Also, you can usually assume the top team is in the playoffs. That is then nine Bowl slots, for 18 teams.

Based on past Bowl contracts/associations, I think we can assume that B10 might poach the Pac12 (2) Bowl slots for the Holiday (San Diego), the Sun (El Paso), and possibly the Alamo (San Antonio).

I don't think you can assume the Rose any more. I presume it will be part of the Quarters or Semi-Finals of the CFP.

I wish they'd move that game to the new Snapdragon stadium, but my guess is that like the G-Rated bowl, they want it downtown even if means a sub-par stadium experience for football.
This is one of the few times I'd take "yeah I'll take the baseball stadium" to stay downtown for football.

Having said that that's also because the weather is likely to be great and not like we've seen in Boston or NY with those dangerous field condition bowls.

I don't think you can assume the Rose any more. I presume it will be part of the Quarters or Semi-Finals of the CFP.
Yeah they were going to rotate it with 4 teams but now with more ... I don't imagine the rose being a non playoff bowl...

According to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_NCAA_football_bowl_games#Non-CFP_bowl_games

The PAC-12 this year has:
LA Bowl vs Mountain West (UCLA beat Boise)
Independence bowl in Shreveport, Louisiana vs Big 12 (Cal lost to Texas Tech)
Las Vegas Bowl vs Big Ten (Utah lost to NW)
Holiday Bowl in San Diego vs ACC (USC beat Louisville)
Alamo Bowl in San Antonio vs Big 12 (Arizona beat OU)
Sun Bowl in El Paso vs ACC (Oregon State vs Notre Dame)

Four legacy PAC members went to the Big Ten.
Two legacy PAC members went to the ACC.
Two historical PAC members (since the 70's) went to the Big 12. Colorado and Utah aren't historical in any way and don't carry weight.

Based on this and based on practicality/geography, I would divide them as such:

- Big Ten takes over the LV Bowl completely, becomes an every year bowl, not an every other year bowl
- Big Ten takes over the LA Bowl, since we now "own" the P5 rights to SoCal in a sense
- Big Ten takes over the Holday Bowl, for same reason

- Big 12 takes over Alamo Bowl, since in the heart of Texas
- Sun to Big 12 to play vs ACC

- Independence to ACC to play vs Big 12

The Alamo Bowl can suck it. I'm still bitter about them shafting the Gophers.

Every year though?

Currently in the years it is not in the playoff, it pays out $40M to the two conferences that play in the game, which is contracted to the Big Ten and PAC. That's 2 out of every 3.

That is going to be tough for the Big Ten to lose that money. Unless playing in the playoff games gets a lot more money than they currently get, which I think is like $6M?

Every year though?

Currently in the years it is not in the playoff, it pays out $40M to the two conferences that play in the game, which is contracted to the Big Ten and PAC. That's 2 out of every 3.

That is going to be tough for the Big Ten to lose that money. Unless playing in the playoff games gets a lot more money than they currently get, which I think is like $6M?
Yes, every year was how I understood it.

The revenue will be replaced by the CFP. B1Ggly.

Yes, every year was how I understood it.

The revenue will be replaced by the CFP. B1Ggly.
OK. That takes care of the Rose then, since it won't really be a bowl game anymore in the normal sense, with conference tie-ins.

Every year though?

OK. That takes care of the Rose then, since it won't really be a bowl game anymore in the normal sense, with conference tie-ins.

Even in the years when the Rose Bowl has had the CFP in the past, the Big 10 got the same (or essentially equal) revenue anyway since their Champion has been guaranteed a spot in another New Year's 6 Bowl (if they did not make the 4team Playoff).

I am sure the two will tie it up in courts and disagree with you. Depends on how well the bowls covered themselves in the contract

I’m also sure some of the big 12 bowls might prefer to get out of their contracts

I am 99% sure that the bowl sponsors would have their bases covered in the situation that a conference falls apart.

I am 99% sure that the bowl sponsors would have their bases covered in the situation that a conference falls apart.
I don’t know. I assume a lot of the bowls are cash poor and would rather fold as a bowl than get involved in a legal dispute.

I don’t know. I assume a lot of the bowls are cash poor and would rather fold as a bowl than get involved in a legal dispute.

I believe that many of the bowls have tie ins to the hosting cities....and may even be subsidized due to the exposure. The top end PAC-12 tie ins like the Alamo and Sun Bowls I would assume would want to avoid being forced into taking Washington State or Oregon State (unless one or both were really good).

As I said....the contracts are likely written up with all sorts of situations in mind (like the dissolving of a conference).

I believe that many of the bowls have tie ins to the hosting cities....and may even be subsidized due to the exposure. The top end PAC-12 tie ins like the Alamo and Sun Bowls I would assume would want to avoid being forced into taking Washington State or Oregon State (unless one or both were really good).

As I said....the contracts are likely written up with all sorts of situations in mind (like the dissolving of a conference).
We will see

Does a conference of 2 meet the definition of a conference anymore?

Does a conference of 2 meet the definition of a conference anymore?
I believe they are given two years to become an 8 team conference. (Could be wrong on the number of teams).

Top Bottom