Bowl Game Ticket Dispersement

The people who pay the money deserve to get more access than people who pay less money.
Yeah, I get it. I can still resent that some joe-blow business can make a big donation and get tickets before someone who has been a loyal fan, season ticketholder for years, played in the band, alum, etc. But I get it.

The people who pay the money deserve to get more access than people who pay less money.

This is really the long and short of it.

Posts on this site about people whining because they can't get something valuable for cheap are plentiful and tiresome.

Lucas Oil Stadium always has lots of open seats when I watch the B1G championship game on TV. I have always had the impression it would/should be easy to simply show up and buy a ticket. With all those empty seats, I would assume a ticket outside the stadium would be a safe bet to count on for a decent value. Am I wrong about that?
I'm pretty interested in how B1G 'ship tickets work out. The game has been "sold out" online for quite a while, but I know a lot of tickets are distributed to the schools directly. Living near Indy, I've tried the past two years to get tickets online via StubHub and Seatgeek, but they've always been crazy expensive. Somebody else on this board posted that you can just walk down to the stadium and buy cheap tickets off the street, but I then read that the stadium is using a "digital only" ticket process this year. All that said, I went ahead and bought 4 off StubHug the day of the PSU win. Maybe I paid way too much and jumped the gun, but there's now way I was missing that game.

I'm pretty interested in how B1G 'ship tickets work out. The game has been "sold out" online for quite a while, but I know a lot of tickets are distributed to the schools directly. Living near Indy, I've tried the past two years to get tickets online via StubHub and Seatgeek, but they've always been crazy expensive. Somebody else on this board posted that you can just walk down to the stadium and buy cheap tickets off the street, but I then read that the stadium is using a "digital only" ticket process this year. All that said, I went ahead and bought 4 off StubHug the day of the PSU win. Maybe I paid way too much and jumped the gun, but there's now way I was missing that game.
Get the tickets on Gametime. It's an app. Buy them as you walk up to the stadium.

Depends.
I don’t think the game sells out. So I think you could get them at face value. Doubt you could get them less.
Yeah, I get it. I can still resent that some joe-blow business can make a big donation and get tickets before someone who has been a loyal fan, season ticketholder for years, played in the band, alum, etc. But I get it.

I do not think any donation this year gets you Gopher points until next year. Once the season started your Score is set.

I must admit I am really unhappy about the 12 tickets per Score. I would think something like "twice your season ticket total" would be a lot more fair. As stated, a guy with two season tickets can buy 12 and sell ten of them on StubHub. That is ugly and rude to those who have supported the Gophers for dozens of years as season ticket holders. Very, very poor PR.

That's reasonable. What's not reasonable is that one person who has had season tickets for 20 years could get 12 and another person who has had season tickets for 15 years might not be able to get any. People who spend more should get some more benefits but not to that extreme. If everyone was guaranteed at least 1 ticket per season ticket they have this year people wouldn't be complaining.

The entire Gopher score system is also unfair towards people who graduated recently. Someone who graduated a couple of years ago isn't going to have a good gopher score, even if they buy fairly nice season tickets for all 3 big sports. Then we wonder why there aren't many recent graduates at games.

What is being lost here is this comment:

Tickets will be allotted and assigned based on Gopher Score. Should demand exceed supply for any price level or for the bowl game as a whole, the Minnesota Athletics Department reserves the right to reduce or cancel any order.

I fully expect the ticket office to do their best to limit abuse and get more people's orders reduced in order for more account holders to attend

This math is not right. It relies on the assumptions that 1. Everyone with gopher score will buy tickets and that 2. Everyone who buys tickets will buy their max allotment.

I am 100% sure neither of those will happen. We may run out of ticket allotment depending on the bowl, but I am sure most if not all season ticket owners will have a chance to buy tickets.

I must admit I am really unhappy about the 12 tickets per Score. I would think something like "twice your season ticket total" would be a lot more fair.

That is the answer.

I'll be in Pasadena whether I have a ticket or not

This math is not right. It relies on the assumptions that 1. Everyone with gopher score will buy tickets and that 2. Everyone who buys tickets will buy their max allotment.

I am 100% sure neither of those will happen. We may run out of ticket allotment depending on the bowl, but I am sure most if not all season ticket owners will have a chance to buy tickets.

I made the point from the start that this may very well not be an issue. However, the math is right that if everyone did take their whole allotment, it wouldn't get past the 2,500 on the Gopher score. I would have just preferred that, since we have approximately 22,000 season tickets sold this year, those who have season tickets would have some sort of priority. As it stands, it's statistically possible for as little as 10% of those season ticket holders to actually be able to gain access to tickets, which will be a bummer.

Keep in mind that there will be other parties who will get dibs on the school's ticket allotment in addition to people with Gopher Scores. That includes current students, team family members, Athletic Department staff, official travel packages, and University big wigs. I'm not sure if sponsors like TCF Bank and Cub Foods are considered part of the rankings or have something included in their sponsorship agreements.

I didn't have a problem getting Citrus Bowl tickets with my Gopher Score, but the allotment didn't sell out. It will be the price of success if demand outstrips supply this year.

Not freaking out about this yet, but just saying...

I'm 36 years old and am a 12 year season ticket holder (have had 2 seats since 2008).

I've missed a total of 3 home games during that time frame (81 for 84 in total).

I've been to 26 road games in my lifetime, and also 2 bowl games on top of that.

I'm willing to pay the $$$ for Rose Bowl tickets.

All those things considering, it'll be BITTERLY disappointing if I'm unable to buy Rose Bowl seats from the ticket office.

Why would a person who needs two tickets but is entitled to twelve not buy twelve and sell the extras for a killing if it is the Rose Bowl? Which, has sold out every year since 1947. Some folks won't because they are very nice, etc. but your statement that "most if not all season ticket owners will..." to able to get tickets through the U is based on what? Not reason. If I was any sort of "fat cat" I would see such tickets as PR gold mine for my business, family or whatever.

What is being lost here is this comment:

Tickets will be allotted and assigned based on Gopher Score. Should demand exceed supply for any price level or for the bowl game as a whole, the Minnesota Athletics Department reserves the right to reduce or cancel any order.

I fully expect the ticket office to do their best to limit abuse and get more people's orders reduced in order for more account holders to attend

So, let us say that I own Smithy's Whole Foods. I employ 62 people. I buy food and supplies from over 120 vendors. Now, why don't I want all 12 tickets I am entitled to under the Gopher Score rules which have been in place for some time now?

So yes, I am worried and quite frustrated that the rules are not more restrictive. My score is just in the 200 area and I have had season tickets, OFF and ON, for 25 years even though I have long lived over 1000 miles from here.

For comparison sake.
2015 Iowa:
Had 24,500 requests from season ticket holders, UI Club members and UI officials. Limited the requests to 4 each.
Had an additional 18,500 requests from non season ticket holders and alumni. They were largely left out in the cold.

I know that everyone loves making a buck, but I have a feeling that a good amount of the people in the high Gopher score range aren't really wanting or needing to peddle bowl game tickets for some extra cash.....

At the same time and an attempt to talk out of both sides of my mouth, I do think some of the max number allowed is a bit high & extreme. Hopefully they do what DtG stated above in that they possibly adjust the max number.

Are the majority of the people that are complaining about the gopher score the same people that have always said, "It's cheaper to buy single game tickets than to pay for a season tickets." I don't know the answer, I am just asking the question.

It seems to me the answer is no. I'm seeing mostly people who have a Gopher Score but not at the top of the list.

And, no, I'm not complaining (today) that my 23 years of Gopher basketball season tickets that I gave up don't count toward my score. :cautious:

I must admit I am really unhappy about the 12 tickets per Score. I would think something like "twice your season ticket total" would be a lot more fair. As stated, a guy with two season tickets can buy 12 and sell ten of them on StubHub. That is ugly and rude to those who have supported the Gophers for dozens of years as season ticket holders. Very, very poor PR.
Likewise the guy with 14 season tickets can only get 12 and has to leave someone behind. The limit should really be 28 for that guy?

Wow, what a giant FU to long time STH by the athletic dept. I'm at 20+ years and in the 4000 Gopher Score range and i'm guessing they'd be all gone if they stick with the current plan of selling 12 each to 0-1000 points. As Joe Mauer would say- frustrating.

Please don't kill the messenger on this one. This is from a buddy of mine who is a long time NDSU fan.

"
Their fanbase sounds a lot like NDSU's when we finally made it back to the national championship game in 2011. Hadn't been since 1990.

Everyone did whatever they could to relish the moment, and make it down to the natty in Texas. Huge number of Bison fans. Awesome time. No one knew when this would happen again, special year.

Then the 2012 season happened. Then 2013. Then 2014 ........
"

Hopefully you get where I'm trying to go with this.

For comparison sake.
2015 Iowa:
Had 24,500 requests from season ticket holders, UI Club members and UI officials. Limited the requests to 4 each.
Had an additional 18,500 requests from non season ticket holders and alumni. They were largely left out in the cold.
Thing is, I just hope people aren't going to buy them for the sake of re-sale or corporate gifts. Not saying that is not someone's right to do. But in an ideal and a fair world, people would only buy the number of tickets they think they're going to use personally.

I hope you are right. I have already been asked to buy tickets for friends if they are available. Really hope this does not become an issue for fans who want to go to the bowl game. The travel costs already eliminate some fans.

I hope you are right. I have already been asked to buy tickets for friends if they are available. Really hope this does not become an issue for fans who want to go to the bowl game. The travel costs already eliminate some fans.

Which is why there are going to be plenty of tickets.

Has there been anything about U students being able to tickets? I may have better luck going through my daughter ....

Top Bottom