Bowl Game Ticket Dispersement

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
So, I don't want to kill the mood in here, but we got this email today regarding bowl ticket dispersement, and I have some...concerns. The email is as follows:

Bowl Game Ticket Limits
The following request limits will be in place should the University of Minnesota be selected for the College Football Playoff, Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, or Rose Bowl.
  • Gopher Score Rank 1 - 1,000: 12 Tickets
  • Gopher Score Rank 1,001 - 2,500: 8 Tickets
  • Gopher Score Rank 2,501 - 5,000: 6 Tickets
  • Gopher Score Rank 5,001+: 4 Tickets
Tickets will be allotted and assigned based on Gopher Score. Should demand exceed supply for any price level or for the bowl game as a whole, the Minnesota Athletics Department reserves the right to reduce or cancel any order.

If you do the math here, the top 1,000 would have access to up to 12,000 tickets, then the next 1,500 would have access to up to another 12,000 tickets. The next 2,500 would have access to up to 15,000 tickets, and then everyone else would have access to the rest. Why does this matter? If everyone buys their allotment, they wouldn't even get past the first 2,500 on the list. (Penn State in 2017 and Ohio State in 2018 each received a 22,000 ticket allotment)

I know...I'm way ahead on this...not everyone is buying their full allotment, and we have to get through Saturday first. With that said, when you do the math, it's kind of depressing. It would be pretty sad for some longtime ticket holders to wait nearly 60 years for a Rose Bowl, only to have some donor (who possibly doesn't even have football tickets) buy 12 tickets and give them away to corporate folks and friends who think a trip to Cali sounds nice this time of year. I get you have to take care of your big donors, but I was hoping for a more equitable dispersement plan which would allow your football season ticket holders to have a better chance of guaranteeing themselves at least some ticket opportunities to these bigger games.

Last edited:

So, I don't want to kill the mood in here, but we got this email today regarding bowl ticket dispersement, and I have some...concerns. The email is as follows:

Bowl Game Ticket Limits
The following request limits will be in place should the University of Minnesota be selected for the College Football Playoff, Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, or Rose Bowl.
Tickets will be allotted and assigned based on Gopher Score. Should demand exceed supply for any price level or for the bowl game as a whole, the Minnesota Athletics Department reserves the right to reduce or cancel any order.

If you do the math here, the top 1,000 would have access to up to 12,000 tickets, then the next 1,500 would have access to up to another 12,000 tickets. The next 2,500 would have access to up to 15,000 tickets, and then everyone else would have access to the rest. Why does this matter? If everyone buys their allotment, they wouldn't even get past the first 2,500 on the list. (Penn State in 2017 and Ohio State in 2018 each received a 22,000 ticket allotment)

I know...I'm way ahead on this...not everyone is buying their full allotment, and we have to get through Saturday first. With that said, when you do the math, it's kind of depressing. It would be pretty sad for some longtime ticket holders to wait nearly 60 years for a Rose Bowl, only to have some donor (who possibly doesn't even have football tickets) buy 12 tickets and give them away to corporate folks and friends who think a trip to Cali sounds nice this time of year. I get you have to take care of your big donors, but I was hoping for a more equitable dispersement plan which would allow your football season ticket holders to have a better chance of guaranteeing themselves at least some ticket opportunities to these bigger games.
Who did you get the email from? My gopher score is 6275 and I have been a Gopher season ticket holder since about 2006 with four or five tickets every year. If I didn’t “qualify” for major bowl tickets, I’d be pretty upset as I have sat through a lot of tough seasons in an empty stadium. I’ve missed 2 games dating back to 2007.

So how does this work compared to the tickets you can already buy on Stubhub, Seatgeek, etc. right now? Are all of those just open to whoever from the public?

Who did you get the email from? My gopher score is 6275 and I have been a Gopher season ticket holder since about 2006 with four or five tickets every year. If I didn’t “qualify” for major bowl tickets, I’d be pretty upset as I have sat through a lot of tough seasons in an empty stadium. I’ve missed 2 games dating back to 2007.

The e-mail was sent earlier today by the Athletic Department, but it is also posted on the website.

I'm getting a bit nervous myself about not making the cut. Everyone should have a better idea where they stand on the Bowl Game if we happen to win on Saturday and go through the Big Ten Championship ticket allocation.

I

Bowl Game Ticket Limits

I have the same concerns. I’m not anticipating any love from the ticket office.

So how does this work compared to the tickets you can already buy on Stubhub, Seatgeek, etc. right now? Are all of those just open to whoever from the public?

Capacity is almost 91,000, and the allotment to the schools is around 44,000, so there are lots of seats that aren't allotted to the schools that are out there.

I rank at 11,500 since I just took over for my Dad’s seats when he passed 2 years ago. So based on the concerns of the OP, it sounds like someone at my rank wouldn’t make the cut for getting 2-4 tickets for me, my wife, and potentially two other family members?

Yes! All these allotted tickets and rankings...I can guarantee you all that there will be tickets, some great ones, but it will all be aftermarket tickets. As long as you’re willing to pay high dollars, you’ll have tickets.

There will be plenty of tickets on StubHub and SeatGeek just like the Wisconsin game. U ticket office says “sold out”, there are hundreds of tickets available to buy online.

Just like everything else in our world today, money talks, ALL BS walks!

Lots and lots of Rose bowl tickets are available on stubhub, vividseats etc. They are from the open public ticket sale from this past September. Cheapest seats(high up end zone bench no seat back) currently start at about $250. Anything with a regular chairback(side line) start at a much higher price point.

I have had season tickets since 1985. I have 4 season tickets for football and season tickets in a couple of minor sports. My Gopher score is mid 1,500. Looks like it might pay off to be a season ticket holder.

It kind of is what it is.
If there were infinite tickets they’d have no value.
Personally I think people with more points should get earlier access.

I am not guaranteed tickets but understand I’ll still have secondary market options

Gopher points folks...so your "score" is really a rank 1 to whatever. Is that right?

So you could have tickets another year but a 1000 people give whatever $ amount would push them above you ...your ranking could drop, correct?

I get rewarding people who spend/give a lot of money but letting 1000 people get 12 tickets each is way too much. At some point there's just no reasonable way to get to the upper tiers. If I had season tickets for 20 years I wouldn't be anywhere near the top.

Thinking there is some math in here that isn't all good. Everyone who has a Gopher Score isn't a football season ticket holder. Assume Football season ticket holders get some kind of preference or does some guy with 10 season hockey tickets who has never been to a football game jump me in line too.

The rose bowl has like 91k seats. We can barely sell out our stadium and people are worried about getting tickets to a 91k statdium?

The rose bowl has like 91k seats. We can barely sell out our stadium and people are worried about getting tickets to a 91k statdium?
We've had no issues selling out the stadium for big games when the team is really good. Tickets are starting at $250 for this Saturday. The Rose Bowl is not comparable to a game between 2 teams that will barely be bowl eligible.

We've had no issues selling out the stadium for big games when the team is really good. Tickets are starting at $250 for this Saturday. The Rose Bowl is not comparable to a game between 2 teams that will barely be bowl eligible.
Pretty small sample size to make that claim... Plenty of sample size for less than sold out games. Let me go back and look at the pictures on my phone from the last time we were in a new years day bowl and see how full the stadium was! Oh wait, it was empty. I'm not worried about getting my hands on Rose Bowl tickets.

If Rose Bowl tickets are, say, $250 each, I can't see everyone in the lower ranks buying up all their allotment. 12 tix @ $250 would be $3000 at Christmas time, just for game tickets. I'm guessing if you are in the top 4000 ranks you will get tickets thru the school if desired.

In thinking back to aerial footage of past Rose Bowls it is pretty evident that the schools fans are largely segregated from each other. Not entirely but largely. This would be hard to do if they are mostly open market 'stubhub' aquirred tickets. Not sure we have all the ticket disbursement facts yet.

I‘be made peace with the fact that I’ll have to pay $500+ for a decent seat. Maybe even a grand.

Last edited:

It's a similar problem for the B1G championship game, only fewer tickets available. I'm in the 3000s and can only get 4. Also similar to the "loyalty rewards" Why do the first 250 or 500 need to pick 8 things while those down the line get a couple of crappy leftover options? It's very irritating. I resent that people who have been ticketholders or involved with the team count less than a corporation who pays $$$$. Their empty seats at games isn't very attractive.

Thinking there is some math in here that isn't all good. Everyone who has a Gopher Score isn't a football season ticket holder. Assume Football season ticket holders get some kind of preference or does some guy with 10 season hockey tickets who has never been to a football game jump me in line too.

Correct, the guy with hockey tickets or a family of longtime women's basketball season ticket holders who have never been to a football game in their lives could be ahead of you. Everyone has a Gopher Score.

Are the majority of the people that are complaining about the gopher score the same people that have always said, "It's cheaper to buy single game tickets than to pay for a season tickets." I don't know the answer, I am just asking the question.

It's a similar problem for the B1G championship game, only fewer tickets available. I'm in the 3000s and can only get 4. Also similar to the "loyalty rewards" Why do the first 250 or 500 need to pick 8 things while those down the line get a couple of crappy leftover options? It's very irritating. I resent that people who have been ticketholders or involved with the team count less than a corporation who pays $$$$. Their empty seats at games isn't very attractive.
The people who pay the money deserve to get more access than people who pay less money.

Lucas Oil Stadium always has lots of open seats when I watch the B1G championship game on TV. I have always had the impression it would/should be easy to simply show up and buy a ticket. With all those empty seats, I would assume a ticket outside the stadium would be a safe bet to count on for a decent value. Am I wrong about that?

Lucas Oil Stadium always has lots of open seats when I watch the B1G championship game on TV. I have always had the impression it would/should be easy to simply show up and buy a ticket. With all those empty seats, I would assume a ticket outside the stadium would be a safe bet to count on for a decent value. Am I wrong about that?
Depends.
I don’t think the game sells out. So I think you could get them at face value. Doubt you could get them less.

The people who pay the money deserve to get more access than people who pay less money.

Agreed, but if someone with a long history of season tickets gets aced out because of a priority system that allows others to buy 12 tickets, it will be a PR headache for the U.

Agreed, but if someone with a long history of season tickets gets aced out because of a priority system that allows others to buy 12 tickets, it will be a PR headache for the U.
Disagree
People can’t go to a game because they didn’t have access to tickets every week due to price or something else. Why would it be a bigger story for a more highly prominent game?

would it be a major story that very few Viking season ticket holders get access to Super Bowl tickets? No it wouldn’t

I've had season tickets since 1996 but those first few years were on my dad's account. So ticket office gives me credit for having them since 1999. I've been in $100/$150 donation level since moving to TCF Bank Stadium. I'm in the mid 5k range. I only want 2, REALLY hope I get them.

I've had season tickets since 1996 but those first few years were on my dad's account. So ticket office gives me credit for having them since 1999. I've been in $100/$150 donation level since moving to TCF Bank Stadium. I'm in the mid 5k range. I only want 2, REALLY hope I get them.
If you don’t get them at face, you can buy them above face if you really want them

Top Bottom