Bowl game location

Denying the players a bowl game and all the perks that come with it when they played well enough on the field to earn it will make recruits WANT to come here?
No, it says we got lucky last year because of academics and we have the integrity to balance the scales by not accepting one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

No, it says we got lucky last year because of academics and we have the integrity to balance the scales by not accepting one.

You think recruits would like to come to a program that declines a bowl berth when the team went 8-4? Believe it or not our players will enjoy going to whatever bowl game we get. It means a lot to them and all the hard work they put in. Just because the season was disappointing to you doesn't mean we should punish the players. I know I will be watching the bowl game because I love the Gophers and will take all the college football I can get.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Because they lost both games against the E and W champs on the highway; also lost at Neb and at home against Iowa; pretty much the only teams on the schedule worth a damn. Their signature win......NW at home?

Wait....so they go 8-4 and SHOULDN'T accept a bowl game in which we'll likely be matched up against a good SEC team?

That's the stupidest thing I've seen posted here in a while.

Wait....so they go 8-4 and SHOULDN'T accept a bowl game in which we'll likely be matched up against a good SEC team?

That's the stupidest thing I've seen posted here in a while.
If you view integrity as stupid, then I dread what you consider smart.

We should have to stay home this year because we played the academics card last year. This year going to a bowl game based on our season feels like an equal sham because this year we collapsed with more aplomb even though we had an easier schedule.

I nominate for dumbest statement of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will recruits roll their eyes when we say we went to third tier bowl, third tier bowl, and defunct third tier bowl? Especially with no realistic chance to make a second tier bowl or one of the big New Year's bowls?

It's a recruiting thing, you might not get it.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I nominate for 2nd dumbest statement on Gopherhole this year.

I nominate for 3rd dumbest statement on Gopherhole this year.

Declining a bowl game after an 8 win season demonstrates integrity? This is beyond ludicrous.

Turning down a bowl bid at 8-4 would be VERY stupid.....yes.

It would be great if they can finish out the season winning a bowl game against a good SEC foe.

From a regular season standpoint this season was a disappointment. They had PSU and Wisconsin on the ropes and held Iowa to 14 points and got the loss in each. The best team they beat this season was Northwestern. The biggest knock on a team like Western Michigan is their lack of a schedule, their best win... Northwestern

They earned it by getting to 5 wins and performing well enough in school to get selected for a bowl game over other 5 win teams. It's not the team's fault that there are more bowl slots than 6+ win teams. Besides, a 5 win power conference team is going to be better than most 6 or 7 win G5 teams. It looks like there will again be a couple of 5 win teams going to bowls this year. I bet Nebraska isn't turning down a bowl bid.

They earned it by getting to 5 wins and performing well enough in school to get selected for a bowl game over other 5 win teams. It's not the team's fault that there are more bowl slots than 6+ win teams. Besides, a 5 win power conference team is going to be better than most 6 or 7 win G5 teams. It looks like there will again be a couple of 5 win teams going to bowls this year. I bet Nebraska isn't turning down a bowl bid.
Really? I remember the prevailing sentiment being we were lucky to get that bid. It sounded a "given" bid rather than an "earned" bid.

Really? I remember the prevailing sentiment being we were lucky to get that bid. It sounded a "given" bid rather than an "earned" bid.

Well, they give them out to all the 6+ win teams and then, it would seem, to the 5 win teams with the highest Academic Progress Rate. I guess you could say we were lucky there weren't more 6 win teams, but it wasn't just luck of the draw that we got a bowl bid and other 5 win teams didn't.

Lets face it, with our "fan" base we won't draw well anywhere under almost any conditions. Of course, our "fans" will blame the teams play not the fact that when you have a stadium that is half full on Sr. Day that that will play a part in which team gets selected to go where. In the same way that they don't believe the thousands of screaming fans helped wisconsin in the 2nd half. In the same way they think showing up is good enough. They shouldn't have to cheer for the team (was actually told to shut up during the Northwestern game by a "Fan" who never clapped or cheered during the entire Northwestern game and of course -- left early to beat the traffic......

But hey, Tony Dungy will be our coach next year, right? so no worries. He will magically pull 42 wins out of his ass next season. It has taken me a long time to figure this out. I used to not understand how a no talent, worthless hack like Reusse could be a writer at the STrib, but it's finally dawned on me that most Minnesotans have a good idea of what they want to see on the field and no idea, absolutely no idea what it takes to get there. Most Minnesotans appears either agree with or are as stupid as Reusse. We get what we deserve on that front, and we deserve better.

Our team deserves better fans.

You are correct.

We should have to stay home this year because we played the academics card last year. This year going to a bowl game based on our season feels like an equal sham because this year we collapsed with more aplomb even though we had an easier schedule.

Glad I won't have to run into you there then!

Top Bottom