Both Indiana and Purdue lose QB's

Reaction score
Roberson out for the year (as most already knew) but Purdue Robert Marve suffered another knee injury vs. Notre Dame and rumor has it his season could be over.

Marve was Purdue's ticket to the B1G title game and possible NYD bowl.

Gotta feel really, really sorry for Marve. If this is true he is going to have a college career just gutted by knee injury. Sad.

TerBush was named the starter simply because the staff didn't have a handle on Marve's health. TerBush was suspended for the opener and Marve played very well and appeared healthy. You don't have to be a great football wonk to realize Marve is clearly a better QB than TerBush. One of the reasons I'm not sold on Danny Hope is the fact that he lets his ego get in the way of his teams winning. He refuses to admit Marve gives the team a better chance to win and it cost him vs. Notre Dame by starting TerBush in the 2nd half instead of playing the hot hand.

Marve led a scoring drive right at the end of the 1st half to tie the game 7-7 yet TerBush starts the 2nd half with a pick and a pair of 3 and outs. Just like that it's 17-7 ND.

Pump your brakes there, partner.

A quick glance at the box score says that the Irish dominated Purdue in every statistical category except 4th down efficiency (cool!) and yards per rush and they didn't have an offensive drive over 58 yards.

It's a really tough break for Marve, that's just a crappy way to end your season so early. I think they'll be fine with Terbush. Complete chaos in that division of the BT so they could still have a solid season. Terbush is a senior with major playing time under his belt. He'll be fine.

I thought the Boilers had a legitimate shot at making it to the B1G title game. I think they'd get crushed by the Legends side, but that division is an absolute mess.

In your first post. When you say Marve was Purdue's ticket to the B1G title game, doesn't that mean you think they had a chance to get to the Rose Bowl?

Given the current state of the other teams in the division, are you saying Purdue has no chance to represent the Leaders Division in the B1G title game?

Never said Rose Bowl. I said Big Ten title game. There are other less prominent bowl games on NYD you know.

So you don't think that getting into the conference championship game allows them "a chance to go to the Rose Bowl"? <-quoting Dpo's post, to which I quoted your response.

Never said Rose Bowl. I said Big Ten title game. There are other less prominent bowl games on NYD you know.

So they had a chance to get to the Big Ten title game, but no shot to win it?

That noise you hear is the sound of you backtracking.

Let's just play all the games and find out.

Let's just play all the games and find out.

Exactly. Given what has transpired with Sconny and Illinois, Purdue no doubt has a shot to play in the title game. Not saying it's going to happen, just saying it's not out of the question.

Given the current state of the other teams in the division, are you saying Purdue has no chance to represent the Leaders Division in the B1G title game?

I never said anything about Purdue or their chances. I was confused by your statement that a team who is able to get to the championship game doesn't have a chance to represent the B1G in the Rose Bowl. To me, by getting there you have a chance.

Not at all. I thought I was very clear in my OP.

It's clear that you don't understand basic statistics. This is strange for a Purdue student. It's far more difficult, statistically, to get to a championship game of any division/section/conference/league/etc. than to actually win it. Winning any game, especially between two teams from the same conference, is close to a coin flip and goes up or down from there based on the quality of the teams. Beating out 5 other teams (or in this case, 3 since 2 are ineligible) to even get there is statistically far more unlikely.

I never said anything about Purdue or their chances. I was confused by your statement that a team who is able to get to the championship game doesn't have a chance to represent the B1G in the Rose Bowl. To me, by getting there you have a chance.

I agree, I guess you do have a chance but not a very good one in Purdue's case.

Michigan State, Nebraska, or Michigan would easily handle Purdue on a neutral field.I know that probably isn't breaking news :cool:

It's clear that you don't understand basic statistics. This is strange for a Purdue student. It's far more difficult, statistically, to get to a championship game of any division/section/conference/league/etc. than to actually win it. Winning any game, especially between two teams from the same conference, is close to a coin flip and goes up or down from there based on the quality of the teams. Beating out 5 other teams (or in this case, 3 since 2 are ineligible) to even get there is statistically far more unlikely.

So....you're saying there's a chance?

So....you're saying there's a chance?

Statistically, there is always a chance. Realistically...there is no chance. I'm saying that it is bass-ackwards to say they have a shot to get there, but no shot to win it.

I don't see a big drop off with Purdue, they'll still be a tough team this year.

I don't know, I think it's pretty close this year.

Indiana isn't a factor and I think Purdue is quite a bit better than Northwestern. It could very well come down to Purdue or Wisconsin. . .

Pump your brakes there, partner.

A quick glance at the box score says that the Irish dominated Purdue in every statistical category except 4th down efficiency (cool!) and yards per rush and they didn't have an offensive drive over 58 yards.

It's a really tough break for Marve, that's just a crappy way to end your season so early. I think they'll be fine with Terbush. Complete chaos in that division of the BT so they could still have a solid season. Terbush is a senior with major playing time under his belt. He'll be fine.

I don't know if "dominated" is the right word. It was a fairly closely played game. The Irish threw the ball better and Purdue ran the ball better. Purdue completely shut down the Irish rushing attack.

The Irish outplayed Purdue, but they surely didn't dominate them.

I don't know, I think it's pretty close this year.

Indiana isn't a factor and I think Purdue is quite a bit better than Northwestern. It could very well come down to Purdue or Wisconsin. . .

Exactly. That's been one of my main points all along. I'm not pimping the Boilers as some sort of Cinderella NC sleeper, I'm just pointing out that the stars have aligned themselves to get to Indy. We've all seen the mess the Badgers are and Purdue gets them in West Lafayette. 5-3 in the Leaders with a W over Wisconsin might get get them there.

Exactly. That's been one of my main points all along. I'm not pimping the Boilers as some sort of Cinderella NC sleeper, I'm just pointing out that the stars have aligned themselves to get to Indy. We've all seen the mess the Badgers are and Purdue gets them in West Lafayette. 5-3 in the Leaders with a W over Wisconsin might get get them there.

That's exactly how I look at it. . .

Purdue doesn't have to play Michigan State or Nebraska and they have their most pivotal game (Wisconsin) at home. This is such a bad year for that end of the conference that it would just take being a decent football team to go to the Big 10 Championship.

Top Bottom