Both Gach

bga1

Reaction score
Both Gach is, to me, an enigma on this squad. The kid has so much athleticism and potential to be a defensive star, yet I often don't notice him when he is out there. He seems to depend on the ball being in his hands to be a factor in the offense...likes to make his own plays off the dribble. Defensively, I expected him to be more disruptive with steals and harassing the opponent. Is it just me, or does it seem like there is a whole lot more there that we are not getting out of him yet. I think, some night soon, he has a big night and gains confidence

He has the most NBA potential of anyone of the team for sure. Just looks the most like an NBA player when he is on top of his game.

I thought he looked pretty darn good in the non-conference and then wow. He might benefit the most from the free Covid Year - love to have him for three years in total.

Yes, Gach and Ihnen both are playing no where close to even their average ability.
So much more is in both of them. Even their best games as Gophers are a fraction of their potential.
Be nice if they could blossom down the stretch.

He's got the talent. Does he have the will and desire? It seems like he doesn't.

He has the most NBA potential of anyone of the team for sure. Just looks the most like an NBA player when he is on top of his game.
Carr has the most NBA potential out of anyone on the team, not Gach. He is wayyyyy more skilled and it's not close. Also has an entire bag of tricks for finishing around the rim while Gach just does an awkward one legged floater.

My candid thought is that he has been slightly disappointing / trending in the opposite direction as Robbins since the start of the season. I think he has the potential to be a special player and he certainly rebounds well and can be a strong defender, but he's 21 years old... not like he's an underclassmen or anything. The confidence issues and lack of ability to create for himself is concerning.

He's very streaky. Lots of potential if he can get his game under better control. A few things that he's done consistently through the year that I've appreciated however....is that he tends to be pretty steady when shooting wide open threes....and that when he goes up for rebounds....he goes up strong and comes down with them if he gets his hands on them.

Gach has his moments. He had his moments at Utah too. Agree with Built that I don't know if his bball IQ or skill level are representative of a player that has all-league potential. He's hashtag long and athletic but its Big 10 basketball, not track and field.

At this point I think he is what he is which is a fine player who can be a valuable part of a good team but not the driving force of a good team.

Carr has the most NBA potential out of anyone on the team, not Gach. He is wayyyyy more skilled and it's not close. Also has an entire bag of tricks for finishing around the rim while Gach just does an awkward one legged floater.
For me it’s far and away obvious that Robbins has the most NBA potential.

In my opinion, I don’t think Gach or Carr are NBA players.

Carr is a superior player right now no doubt but Gach due to his size and athleticism for the position, along with his skill set is much more reminiscent of a typical NBA player.

Gach and his game just look the most like what an NBA player looks like, when he’s playing well of course, Carr and Robbins look more like really good college players when they are playing well.

Well next year he’ll definitely have more volume on offense. Hopefully he gets a little more consistent.

I can't see Gach in the NBA unless he has a massive improvement next year. Both Carr and Robbins have a shot.

He needs to be a important part of this team for me. But if asked i would say he is short on intangible skills and i would be very concerned about his ability to score or guard SG and or small forwards in the NBA. Look at the 6'6-6'8 guys. they are jack knifes and are better shooters on much more difficult shots, better handles and lockdown defenders at minimum of two positions.

Both Gach is not an NBA player and never will be. I’m just hoping he improves as a college player. To me it looks like he doesn’t truly love the game. He’s just going through the motions.

NBA teams are much more likely to give Robbins a shot than they are Carr. Carr, at most could be a backup point guard. I’m curious, does the board think he is better than Tyus Jones was? I sure as heck don’t. He plays in the NBA because he’s a true facilitator. Teams looking for pure scorers are not looking at 6’1 guys.

I know it's ancient history now, but man he quickly got in his own head and had a horrible night against Illinois. Like maybe he thought he needed to win the game himself, and it was just not happening.

So, I think (maybe Captain Obvious here) his main issue right now is between the ears.

I know it's ancient history now, but man he quickly got in his own head and had a horrible night against Illinois. Like maybe he thought he needed to win the game himself, and it was just not happening.

So, I think (maybe Captain Obvious here) his main issue right now is between the ears.
Confidence or lack of it, can kill your game completely. He seems to have lost his a little. He has shown some signs of contributing here and there. He just needs a complete game to break free of himself.

It's been noted in here many times the guy comes from low income family, most likely feeling the pressure to play pro basketball in order to provide for his family. I just dont see him as an nba player whatsoever. Doesn't have the shooting, handles, and right now the confidence. Really rooting for the guy, but he should stay at MN as long as he can to further develop, then play pro overseas

I don't see a lack of will or desire. I'm in agreement that his biggest issue right now seems to be a lack of confidence. I see a lot of "Unsure" in his game since the Big 10 season started. Somebody mentioned his rebounding (not a lot of thinking involved there, just go get the ball) is fine. I agree.

Somebody else mentioned intangibles.. I guess confidence and being able to play with-out needing to think about it would be part of that.

I'm also one of those who doesn't see him as an NBA player. He wasn't the best player on his Utah team and although he's pretty athletic, there are a lot of guys playing college hoops right now that are at least as athletic or more athletic than Gach, who aren't going to make it in the NBA.

I think that physically, he has the ability to be your 2nd or 3rd stud on a good team, but he's got to find a way to get some confidence back and start playing instinctively again. Tough to do, because it's kind-of a Catch22. Hard to build confidence when you aren't playing well and hard to play well when your confidence is down.

I don't see a lack of will or desire. I'm in agreement that his biggest issue right now seems to be a lack of confidence. I see a lot of "Unsure" in his game since the Big 10 season started. Somebody mentioned his rebounding (not a lot of thinking involved there, just go get the ball) is fine. I agree.

Somebody else mentioned intangibles.. I guess confidence and being able to play with-out needing to think about it would be part of that.

I'm also one of those who doesn't see him as an NBA player. He wasn't the best player on his Utah team and although he's pretty athletic, there are a lot of guys playing college hoops right now that are at least as athletic or more athletic than Gach, who aren't going to make it in the NBA.

I think that physically, he has the ability to be your 2nd or 3rd stud on a good team, but he's got to find a way to get some confidence back and start playing instinctively again. Tough to do, because it's kind-of a Catch22. Hard to build confidence when you aren't playing well and hard to play well when your confidence is down.
I don't think his handles are good enough to be Carr like and just beat his man constantly. He's got enough to do that from time to time but no scouting report is going to be "stop Gach from beating us off the dribble." He can hit an open shot at times but isn't a lights out shooter.

I think he's going to have to move without the ball A LOT and become a pest to guard when he doesn't have the ball. Guys like Carr can get him the ball as he's moving towards the basket. Will just have to see how they use him and how he fits into any offense we try to run.

I really don't know what to think about Both except wait and see. I expected him to be more of a factor, but he's a transfer into a lot more physical conference in a pandemic year where very little is normal. Some of the comments analyzing him remind me of the analysis of Rodney Williams, especially early in his career here. I'm not comparing them as players and Williams was a lot more hyped, but I remember people being frustrated at the athleticism while wondering why he wasn't more productive.

Seems like Gach plays hard every night. But, it seems he hasn't gotten used to BIG play yet. He is almost too anxious out there. He doesn't realize how fast paced he is playing. He is probably the fastest guard in the country but he's also sort of uncoordinated. He dribbles the ball off his foot, travels a lot. Maybe, it's because he's playing stiffer competition, better defense, etc.? I think he can develop into a very nice player for us. This looks like a development year. He is still our 4th/5th option though ahead of or behind Johnson.

Shooting is mediocre and he's just not very quick, he gets beat off the dribble and it looks like he barely moves before his man goes by him at times, good length and goes to the basket nicely. overseas player.

I really don't know what to think about Both except wait and see. I expected him to be more of a factor, but he's a transfer into a lot more physical conference in a pandemic year where very little is normal. Some of the comments analyzing him remind me of the analysis of Rodney Williams, especially early in his career here. I'm not comparing them as players and Williams was a lot more hyped, but I remember people being frustrated at the athleticism while wondering why he wasn't more productive.
Rodney and Both don't belong in the same sentence. Gach has been a disappointment but so have Trey and Ihnen. All pretty much for the same reason. So far none has shown much ability to shoot.

I posted when we started the BIG schedule that Both was physically weak compared to BIG standards thus it was a concern on both ends. He appears to lack the strength to be effective off the dribble. I think he is a good enough 3 pt shooter but he hasn't found his groove into the BIG. During NC play he stood out during transition and open court but that doesn't happen often in the BIG.

I agree with tmvander: "I think he's going to have to move without the ball A LOT and become a pest to guard when he doesn't have the ball. Guys like Carr can get him the ball as he's moving towards the basket." We haven't seen much of that but maybe the coaches are working with him?

RP doesn't have options to cut back on minutes for Gach as Ihnen and Williams aren't the answer at this point.

I posted when we started the BIG schedule that Both was physically weak compared to BIG standards thus it was a concern on both ends. He appears to lack the strength to be effective off the dribble. I think he is a good enough 3 pt shooter but he hasn't found his groove into the BIG. During NC play he stood out during transition and open court but that doesn't happen often in the BIG.

I agree with tmvander: "I think he's going to have to move without the ball A LOT and become a pest to guard when he doesn't have the ball. Guys like Carr can get him the ball as he's moving towards the basket." We haven't seen much of that but maybe the coaches are working with him?

RP doesn't have options to cut back on minutes for Gach as Ihnen and Williams aren't the answer at this point.
Just curious about why you think he is a good enough 3 point shooter when in a huge sample size he is at 29%. That is wildly inefficient.

Rodney and Both don't belong in the same sentence. Gach has been a disappointment but so have Trey and Ihnen. All pretty much for the same reason. So far none has shown much ability to shoot.
It's GH's reaction I'm comparing, not them as players. Many here deemed Rodney a disappointment early in his Gopher career. Work on your reading comprehension.

Just curious about why you think he is a good enough 3 point shooter when in a huge sample size he is at 29%. That is wildly inefficient.

He can definitely knock down the corner three and RP should be game planning to get him more of those shots. I also wish he would take more pull-up jumpers instead of the running one-handers he rarely makes. He has a lot more to give this team. Ditto Ihnen. Its Pitinos job to unlock these guys.

Top Bottom