Bostick vs. Williams

WadeHokenson

Reaction score
I know Williams hasn't exactly filled up the stat sheet recently, but any insight as to why he hasn't played a second in the first half while Bostick (who really hasn't played much at all this season-even after the suspension was lifted) is getting all the reps with the second squad? He doesn't look like absolute dynamite so far, though he does have 4 pts.

I would like to see Rodney in there, but maybe what Tubby is thinking is that Bostick will likely make more of an impact in conference play this year so he's trying to get him back into the swing of things. Not really sure just a possibility. I would personally like to see a little more of Rodney though.

Hard to say, though Bostick is a more experienced player and probably has, temporarily at least, passed Williams on the depth chart. I think he's a great player to have in the rotation. Williams' time will come

Don't shoot the messenger depending on how you take the following:

Rodney Williams, F, Minnesota

Williams was a player who shocked scouts in the early going with three big performances at the start of the season. But since then he's seen his minutes and production drop sharply. Williams has all the physical attributes you want in a small forward, but either he's just not ready to use them at the highest level or, once again, Tubby Smith doesn't know how to coach NBA prospects.

Don't shoot the messenger depending on how you take the following:

Moronic comment. Utterly stupid by The False. More racism clipped from a UK messageboard.

Tubby has put almost 20 players from Tulsa, Georgia, and UK into the NBA.

I'm ignoring the asshole but that quote came from Chad Ford and a discussion about Big 10 NBA prospects.

CCO said that the SID said that Rodney has a foot injury and that's why he isn't playing tonight.
Rodney has a LOT of potential, but he needs to work on his shot. He has all the athleticism in the world and scored a lot of fast break points against easy opponents at the beginning of the year. He needs a consistent jump shot and better 3-point shot before he'll get a lot more minutes from Tubby.

I was at work but was Williams on the bench tonight at all? Seems wierd he wouldn't play in a blow-out unless he was sick or suspended?

CCO said that the SID said that Rodney has a foot injury and that's why he isn't playing tonight.
Rodney has a LOT of potential, but he needs to work on his shot. He has all the athleticism in the world and scored a lot of fast break points against easy opponents at the beginning of the year. He needs a consistent jump shot and better 3-point shot before he'll get a lot more minutes from Tubby.

Rodney's jump shot has always been suspect. I have to admit I was one who said he would have to improve it. But, he had been shooting pretty well this years. Add his strong inside game and he did well in the early going. Lately reduced minutes has meant his production has fallen off shapely.

I would guess he has a minor physical problem or like Bostick last year, Tubby is not happy with his defense.

Tubby said Rodney has an ankle sprain. His MRI was negative. But, Tubby didn't want to take a chance on injuring him futher.

I'm ignoring the asshole but that quote came from Chad Ford and a discussion about Big 10 NBA prospects.

Notice how accurate The False was:

... Not only has Smith had elite success, but he has prepared his players to have all the skills necessary to make the jump to the next level. Smith has sent 17 players to the NBA during his coaching career. That list includes recent NBA Champion Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics, current Milwaukee Buck Michael Ruffin, Houston Rocket Chuck Hayes, former 10-year veteran Shandon Anderson, Charlotte Bobcat Nazr Mohammed, Detroit Piston Tayshaun Prince, former eight-year veteran Scott Padgett, current Miami Heat Jamaal Magloire, New York Knick Randolph Morris, Golden State Warrior Kelenna Azubuike and Orlando Magic guard Keith Bogans. Other Smith players to reach the NBA include Shea Seals, Wayne Turner, Erik Daniels, Gerald Fitch, Jeff Sheppard and Michael Bradley ...

do you really think that rodney was passed by bostick in the lineup? That is a joke. Rodney clearly had an injury, and it was pretty obvious that we were going to blow niu out after the first 7 minutes so there was no reason to play him.

If he was sick we probably would have heard about it before the game... Tubby setting another example with a young athlete - issue during practice is my guess.

You could also say we would know ahead of time if he was suspended. You shouldn't just assume that someone needs an example set for them. Rodney has been praised for being respectful, working hard, and asking lots of questions in practice to take full advantage of playing for a great coach.

You could also say we would know ahead of time if he was suspended. You shouldn't just assume that someone needs an example set for them. Rodney has been praised for being respectful, working hard, and asking lots of questions in practice to take full advantage of playing for a great coach.

And a certain beat reporter isn't exactly on top of things to notify us of these sorts of things.

You can either assume injury or that Tubby is trying to get Devron up to speed. Having been hyped as a Juco player and playing as he did with limited minutes the previous few games I can fully understand trying to get him at a playable level for Big 10 play. Might as well develop that confidence against terrible teams than against any in-conference teams.

waste of a thread....he is hurt

i know, some how bostick has groupies on this site that want to convince everyone that he is great or something like that. People who go to the games live (like me), know the truth.

How do people possibly think that our offense is better with Bostick in the lineup? He should never be taking away any pt from Westbrook or Joseph. Bostick's average play is a worse version of Westbrook when he gets out of control. Bostick only cares about getting off his own shot, he's out of control most of the time, his shot selection is sickening, and he doesn't have a good jump shot. My favorite shot tonight was when he just threw it over his head.

Foot injury

They even mentioned it on the TV broadcast last night that Williams had a foot injury and Tubby wanted to hold him out.

Per Myron's Twitter-

Tubby Smith said Rodney Williams had MRI on foot Tuesday morning. Results negative. Held him out just in case.

They even mentioned it on the TV broadcast last night that Williams had a foot injury and Tubby wanted to hold him out.

They actually said one time Damian Johnson was out with a foot injury, but I assumed they meant Rodney.

How do people possibly think that our offense is better with Bostick in the lineup? He should never be taking away any pt from Westbrook or Joseph. Bostick's average play is a worse version of Westbrook when he gets out of control. Bostick only cares about getting off his own shot, he's out of control most of the time, his shot selection is sickening, and he doesn't have a good jump shot. My favorite shot tonight was when he just threw it over his head.

Underground- His jump shot has not been good so far- but he's better than the average Gopher in that area. He almost never is out of control if you actually watch him. He's a good passer and playing better defense than last year (not hard to do). He had a dunk, a reverse lay in for his makes, a baby hook from 5 feet that missed, a good runout play that missed. The only bad shot he took was the attempt near the bucket where he tossed it up over his head- it was obvious he was trying to get fouled on the play as he was in heavy traffic under the basket. I don't think he took an outside shot. I'll not repeat an earlier post but he had the second most assists per minute played last year and he has been getting similar assists this year so I think your accusation about only wanting his own shot is false.

There's no comparison between the potential of Rodney Williams and Bostick when you consider the future of our team. Williams could have his jersey in the rafters if he plays 4 years here. But Bostick can help this team this year. Why not give the guy a chance?

They actually said one time Damian Johnson was out with a foot injury, but I assumed they meant Rodney.

I caught that too. They had mentioned Williams, then they said the quote about Damian Johnson's foot. Also assumed they meant Williams.

Underground- His jump shot has not been good so far- but he's better than the average Gopher in that area. He almost never is out of control if you actually watch him. He's a good passer and playing better defense than last year (not hard to do). He had a dunk, a reverse lay in for his makes, a baby hook from 5 feet that missed, a good runout play that missed. The only bad shot he took was the attempt near the bucket where he tossed it up over his head- it was obvious he was trying to get fouled on the play as he was in heavy traffic under the basket. I don't think he took an outside shot. I'll not repeat an earlier post but he had the second most assists per minute played last year and he has been getting similar assists this year so I think your accusation about only wanting his own shot is false.

Clearly you like Bostick bga, and I certainly have no problem with him being available. I hope he provides some meaningful minutes. But the guy has done next to nothing in two years. You are really stretching to find the positives in his play. I have never seen a player here who was billed as a competent outside shooter jack up so many bricks and airballs. It's shocking really. When he throws up a 3, it is not even going to be close to going in. When Hoff and Joseph miss threes, they at least look like they could go in.

Clearly you like Bostick bga, and I certainly have no problem with him being available. I hope he provides some meaningful minutes. But the guy has done next to nothing in two years. You are really stretching to find the positives in his play. I have never seen a player here who was billed as a competent outside shooter jack up so many bricks and airballs. It's shocking really. When he throws up a 3, it is not even going to be close to going in. When Hoff and Joseph miss threes, they at least look like they could go in.

WAG- You are right- I do like Bostick. You are also right that he has really bricked some threes.
He has hurt his own cause twice. Last year by playing lousy defense and this year by getting himself in some trouble. I think he has improved his defense so far. I see signs that he could be an effective offensive player on a team that has some needs there. Last year in games that he got extended minutes he did just that. Anyone watching Hoff knows that shooting is part confidence and I think Bostick has had his shaken. I think the accusations made by another poster that he's out of control or a selfish player are unfounded. Right now he's behind Hoff and others and rightfully so. Still you never know when you need a guy like this.

Top Bottom