Boomer Esiason suggests college football players are getting coronavirus on purpose

PJparty

Reaction score
per NY Times: https://nypost.com/2020/06/30/boome...l-players-are-getting-coronavirus-on-purpose/

Boomer Esiason alluded to the idea that college football teams with players who recently tested positive for the coronavirus had them get it on purpose.

The WFAN radio host said that he found it “odd” that so many players from big-time football programs have suddenly come down with COVID-19 as teams prepare to report back for workouts. He specifically mentioned Alabama, LSU and Clemson, who have all recently reported coronavirus cases on their teams.

“I gotta be really careful here, because I don’t want to say that this is an accusation,” Esiason said Monday morning. “I don’t want to … I just was thinking the other day about what is going on with the SEC teams down south. And Clemson included, who’s obviously an ACC team. A lot of their players are coming down with COVID-19, oddly enough. So are they trying to herd immunity their teams?”

There is still no concrete evidence that someone can be immune to COVID-19 after contracting it. But Esiason evidently believes these football programs would do anything to avoid having their top players quarantined and not able to dress during a conference championship or playoff week.

“So these guys can get sick now as opposed to getting sick during the college football season if, in fact, there is one,” he said. “And I’m telling you right now I wouldn’t put it past any of those guys down there. I think it’s going on. I honestly … the numbers coming out of like Alabama, LSU and Clemson, all these teams? It’s too much of a coincidence. I don’t think it’s that crazy either.”

Clemson announced 14 new COVID-19 cases on the football team this past weekend, bringing the team’s total to 37 since student-athletes returned to campus on June 8. LSU has reported at least 30 positive cases, while Alabama also reported multiple cases. Two weeks ago, the University of Texas said 13 of its football players tested positive for the virus as well.

Of course they are.

Just a matter of if there's any proof that the coaching staff was involved in organizing any of it. For their sake, hopefully they're not that stupid. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a player-led initiative.

Coaches don’t have to tell kids to socialize. Come on. It will happen naturally and swiftly as long as the virus is around. Twenty and thirty somethings are clearly driving the bulk of the recent uptick in cases.

Coaches don’t have to tell kids to socialize. Come on. It will happen naturally and swiftly as long as the virus is around. Twenty and thirty somethings are clearly driving the bulk of the recent uptick in cases.
You can choose to believe something that likely isn't true.

The rest of us can recognize when something is too coincidental to be "organic".

Of course they are.

Just a matter of if there's any proof that the coaching staff was involved in organizing any of it. For their sake, hopefully they're not that stupid. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a player-led initiative.

Just shut STFU for once.

Not every thread or every comment needs your response.

Not every thread or every comment needs you to throw out wild speculation as if we’re fact.

You post too much.

I actually thought the same thing as what Boomer said. No proof, I just seems highly coincidental. Maybe lower profile schools are having similar numbers but aren't reporting it, but that seems doubtful when anything and everything Covid gets reported these days. I certainly wouldn't put it past them to "secretly" do it.

I can understand logicing out something in their brain that someone might do that.

I could see ANYONE thinking that is a good idea.

That doesn't mean it is a thing....

I was talking about this just the other day. I don't think it's hard to see that a major covid outbreak in October will be a disaster for any given team. Teams could be dealing with key games without their offensive line, star QB or half their defense. This can and will drive the whole season.

Can you imagine the advantage you would have if your team all had covid now and did not have to deal with future ramifications this year? I bet some teams are - you can count on it. But if you are a coach and you get busted for having your team catch covid on purpose, you very well may have coached your last game.

I can understand logicing out something in their brain that someone might do that.

I could see ANYONE thinking that is a good idea.

That doesn't mean it is a thing....
He is discounting the potential organ damage suffered in anyone who gets the disease. Was he afraid to accuse the coaches of orchestrating it ! Or just the players taking this on on their own.

I think you need to compare the numbers to the current state wide numbers before making a conclusion.

As far as I know 7 student athletes at the U tested positive, but I don't think that was restricted to football. So for just a football team to have almost 3 times that seems odd, unless there is 3 times more cases in that state/city.

Now if this trend continues and most/all of their team gets sick before the season then it gets more suspicious. Hopefully all of these players recover fully before the season. I saw some stories of young folks with mild case just taking forever to get back to 100%, spending weeks in the 80-90% range.

I think you need to compare the numbers to the current state wide numbers before making a conclusion.

As far as I know 7 student athletes at the U tested positive, but I don't think that was restricted to football. So for just a football team to have almost 3 times that seems odd, unless there is 3 times more cases in that state/city.

Now if this trend continues and most/all of their team gets sick before the season then it gets more suspicious. Hopefully all of these players recover fully before the season. I saw some stories of young folks with mild case just taking forever to get back to 100%, spending weeks in the 80-90% range.

Considering the low number of players ... i'm not sure there's a reason to think that a group of players is likely to have a comparable rate of exposure or infection compared to the larger population....

If every American got tested for coronavirus we would likely see tens of thousands of people currently infected who have no idea they’re infected.

the reason football players are testing positive is because football players are testing.

No one knows what percentage of people who get it never show symptoms but there have been estimates from different reputable sources of as high as 40% of all cases and I’ve seen as high as 80% of cases for people under the age of 30. It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully a lot of people already have had it and are recovered.

Considering the low number of players ... i'm not sure there's a reason to think that a group of players is likely to have a comparable rate of exposure or infection compared to the larger population....
Fair, I'm not well versed in the statistics and whatnot needed to make those sort of correlations.

He is discounting the potential organ damage suffered in anyone who gets the disease. Was he afraid to accuse the coaches of orchestrating it ! Or just the players taking this on on their own.
You can get permanent organ damage from the flu. Not trying to downplay this disease but I hate the argument that a small percentage of people infected will have long term damage. There aren't any studies that say a significant amount of people will get permanent damage from this, outside of the news reporting the one case in a population of 330 million that went bad.

Just shut STFU for once.

Not every thread or every comment needs you to throw out wild speculation as if we’re fact.

You post too much.
Encourage you to put me on ignore, and stop being a whiny little pussy.

If every American got tested for coronavirus we would likely see tens of thousands of people currently infected who have no idea they’re infected.

the reason football players are testing positive is because football players are testing.

No one knows what percentage of people who get it never show symptoms but there have been estimates from different reputable sources of as high as 40% of all cases and I’ve seen as high as 80% of cases for people under the age of 30. It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully a lot of people already have had it and are recovered.
But you can do antibody studies ... and they have.

In California, I think it was a couple months ago now, both in Santa Clara (south bay) and LA Counties, I believe they estimated that 4% of the population had antibodies.

In NYC it was much higher, trying to think off the top of my head, maybe it was more like 15-25% of the population?

But let's even say that 10% of the country's population has antibodies (or active infections). That's still a looooooong way to go until herd immunity.

But you can do antibody studies ... and they have.

In California, I think it was a couple months ago now, both in Santa Clara (south bay) and LA Counties, I believe they estimated that 4% of the population had antibodies.

In NYC it was much higher, trying to think off the top of my head, maybe it was more like 15-25% of the population?

But let's even say that 10% of the country's population has antibodies (or active infections). That's still a looooooong way to go until herd immunity.
The antibody test results accuracy are barely more accurate than flipping a coin and head being positive tails being negative

The antibody test results accuracy are barely more accurate than flipping a coin and head being positive tails being negative
I'm happy to inform you that you are severely mistaken.

Stanford conducted their own experiments on the tests used in the Santa Clara County testing, a concluded they were highly accurate (something in the high 9x% I believe). Then the LA county testing used the same tests.

Those tests are distributed by a company right here in MN.

I'm happy to inform you that you are severely mistaken.

Stanford conducted their own experiments on the tests used in the Santa Clara County testing, a concluded they were highly accurate (something in the high 9x% I believe). Then the LA county testing used the same tests.

Those tests are distributed by a company right here in MN.
Yup. Some are. Most that have been widely distributed are not. Any data using the non reliable ones is basically worthless data. There was basically no regulation standards on them until the last couple of weeks. Data from New York in March and April is essentially worthless data

How do you test if a test is accurate?

How do you test if a test is accurate?
By testing the test, then testing the test of the test to be sure. Simple stuff.

If you want, you can even test the test of the test that is testing people.

Whenever Boomer opens his mouth on just about any subject, this is the image that comes to mind for me:

foghorn leghorn.jpg

Just shut STFU for once.

You post too much.
You seem to be cracking. Does he trigger you that easily?

You can get permanent organ damage from the flu. Not trying to downplay this disease but I hate the argument that a small percentage of people infected will have long term damage. There aren't any studies that say a significant amount of people will get permanent damage from this, outside of the news reporting the one case in a population of 330 million that went bad.
Well, it sort of looks like you are.

^^^ in the history of history? Jebus, even when you try to insult someone, you're a dipshit. Good one

Top Bottom