Boom! Miami Player Wong will enter transfer portal if NIL isn’t increased!

alchemy2u

Reaction score

This is just the beginning.

This is going to get real ugly for that billionaire booster. Obviously, the coach is no longer in charge of which players to have on the team.

Last edited:

Every news account says John Ruiz is a billionaire, but I don't see how. Can anyone find a detailed description of his source of wealth? He recently bought Cigarette Racing, so that's an asset where he hasn't made any money yet. Life Wallet seems way to small to have a billion-dollar valuation. What else has he done?

There's already rumors of Jay Wright entertaining an nba coaching gig

Every news account says John Ruiz is a billionaire, but I don't see how. Can anyone find a detailed description of his source of wealth? He recently bought Cigarette Racing, so that's an asset where he hasn't made any money yet. Life Wallet seems way to small to have a billion-dollar valuation. What else has he done?
From reading Carl Hiassen books to listening to Dan LeBatard (w/Stugotz) to watching Billy Corben documentaries, one thing I'm assuming is that this is a ridiculous and outlandish house of cards that will fall in upon itself at some point, with the only question being, will be sooner or later. Because it's Miami.

This is just the beginning.

This is going to get real ugly for that billionaire booster. Obviously, the coach is no longer in charge of which players to have on the team.
I don't worry about NIL being a massive issue in football but it will absolutely become a joke in college basketball. Players holding teams hostage over wanting more NIL money is just the beginning. If this works for Wong you know others will do the same thing.

Ruiz is smart to say he won't renegotiate with Wong because if he does that will just open him up to constantly needing to renegotiate with players every time a new player gets a better deal.

Guarantee this is going to tear some basketball locker rooms apart with players being jealous about how much another player is getting.

You want the wild west .... you got the wild west.

NIL in college is primary income, that is voluntarily funded by 3rd parties.

BS that it can't and shouldn't be regulated.

I don't worry about NIL being a massive issue in football but it will absolutely become a joke in college basketball. Players holding teams hostage over wanting more NIL money is just the beginning. If this works for Wong you know others will do the same thing.

Ruiz is smart to say he won't renegotiate with Wong because if he does that will just open him up to constantly needing to renegotiate with players every time a new player gets a better deal.

Guarantee this is going to tear some basketball locker rooms apart with players being jealous about how much another player is getting.
How it plays in the locker room is going to be the fascinating aspect of this whole situation, with Miami's case study laying it bare for us. Wong views himself as the catalyst for the Hurricanes, sees Pack wooed with a larger package of incentives, and now you have a divisive issue at hand. How does it end? Wong advised that it's illegal for him to break contract, so he stays put and is resentful of Pack? Wong leaves for another program or a pro career, and players point the finger at Pack for the loss of their leader? The head coach sees his best-laid plans turned into a (chef's kiss) cyclone of disastrous proportions?

It's $%&#ing chaos and the NCAA has itself to blame with their myopic, short-sighted approach that as GopherinNYC pointed out, could have been managed a lot better had they worked with the players ten years ago.

Ruiz is an attorney and has owned a bunch of businesses. I would hope he would tire quickly of getting in bidding wars for kids that can throw a football or make a three pointer.

You want the wild west .... you got the wild west.

NIL in college is primary income, that is voluntarily funded by 3rd parties.

BS that it can't and shouldn't be regulated.
How do you regulate this? What are the limits and exactly how could you impose them?

NIL is fine. If a player wants to get jealous and stomp his feet until he either gets what he wants or takes his ball and goes home, that's his deal. It's not a reason to restrict everyone from being able to earn what they are worth, just because this guy is being a baby about it. People who are against NIL are just using this as ammo in their already flawed argument.

That isn't totally shocking. I could see some guys being very turned off by this new college landscape (NIL and Transfer insanity) and not wanting to deal with all that on top of recruiting as well.
Not surprising. I've primarily switched my basketball consumption almost exclusively to the NBA over the last two years. With the chaos created by the combo of NIL and the transfer portal I don't think I'll be coming back. I can't imagine being a coach and having to deal with this stuff.

Not surprising. I've primarily switched my basketball consumption almost exclusively to the NBA over the last two years. With the chaos created by the combo of NIL and the transfer portal I don't think I'll be coming back. I can't imagine being a coach and having to deal with this stuff.
I can't stand watching NBA basketball but from a coaching standpoint I can definitely see where the NBA would be way more appealing than dealing with this current college basketball insanity.

I mean there is drama in both but at least in the NBA it is structured drama with some controls in place.

Ruiz is not smart. He is an egotistical fanatic that thinks he is helping "his" team by throwing his money around. He is destroying the team.

OK, so he pays these transfers top dollar to come join the team to make it better. He thinks by adding these players to the current roster that it will be even better and "worth the NIL costs" of these new players". But in doing so, he just pissed off the current players that then leave the team. So his dream team never materializes.

And the coach just stands there as this idiot meddles with the team.

I suppose they make millions of dollars, so to say I feel bad for them is a relative term, but man coaching in college now has to be awful. It isnt even about coaching anymore, its adult day care. Coach, this kid took my NIL I QUIT, coach i want the ball more or im quitting, coach I didnt get to take the last shot im out! And unfortunately you have to put up with that because if not they leave and you end up with the bottom of the barrel for talent. Maybe Jay Wright knew what he was doing!

NIL is fine. If a player wants to get jealous and stomp his feet until he either gets what he wants or takes his ball and goes home, that's his deal. It's not a reason to restrict everyone from being able to earn what they are worth, just because this guy is being a baby about it. People who are against NIL are just using this as ammo in their already flawed argument.
There has to be rules and limits to encourage competition and keep it a sport that all fans will still want to watch (support). No eyeballs, no money.....

There has to be rules and limits to encourage competition and keep it a sport that all fans will still want to watch (support). No eyeballs, no money.....
If they end up ruining it for themselves, so be it. Doesn't make it right to restrict someone's earnings. If fans stop watching, the money stops flowing, and the market will correct itself.

Ruiz is not smart. He is an egotistical fanatic that thinks he is helping "his" team by throwing his money around. He is destroying the team.

OK, so he pays these transfers top dollar to come join the team to make it better. He thinks by adding these players to the current roster that it will be even better and "worth the NIL costs" of these new players". But in doing so, he just pissed off the current players that then leave the team. So his dream team never materializes.

And the coach just stands there as this idiot meddles with the team.
Serious question, do coaches have any ability/right to tell guys like Ruiz to f off? I'm guessing no, but I agree it has to be tough as a coach to watch a guy mess with your roster and have no control over it.

How do you regulate this? What are the limits and exactly how could you impose them?
Salary (NIL) cap would be the ideal situation.

Would also be great if only bona fide NIL deals were allowed. Something tangible (you know, with the player's NIL actually being used!) must be produced.

Serious question, do coaches have any ability/right to tell guys like Ruiz to f off? I'm guessing no, but I agree it has to be tough as a coach to watch a guy mess with your roster and have no control over it.
Well the coach doesn't have to take the player. Look there is zero doubt that there is communication between Larrangua (sp) and Ruiz. The coach has to be telling Ruiz- yes this is a guy I want badly, or no, don't offer him, I don't need him.

Top Bottom