Bob Greise: Get a Grip

LesBolstad

Reaction score
I'm ordinarily a fan of Greise. He is an above average color guy. However, that's two weeks in a row that he has made a statement to the effect: "College football won't be good again until Michigan and Notre Dame are back to being national title contenders."

Couldn't disagree more. In fact, college football is better when some of the traditional lower tier teams contend for conference and national titles. College football popularity declines when it's the same 4 or 5 teams dominating on an annual basis.

I think he is either a Mich or ND alum...I believe he was Michigan. Notre Dame supposedly adds prestige to College football with its gipper tradition.

Which is why I'm glad Tech is gonna beat Miami...I can't stomach anymore of this "Return To Greatness" Swag Talk Campaign ESPN has been on.......

Brian Griese won a NC in '97. His back-up?

Tom Brady

His other back-up?

Jason Kapsner of Eden Prairie

Stand corrected. Regardless, change is hard and I think it is exciting for new teams to arise. His comments were probably in reference to traditions that seem to be getting choked out.

He's a Purdue man.

I think college football is better when the traditional powers are good. I don't need them to win championships, just be competitive.

It's more fun when Michigan's good. When PSU was down for a few years, it hurt the conference as a whole. Same with OSU at the end of Cooper's time. I'd rather OU be good, as opposed to what they were under Schnellenberger and Blake.

I hate USC, but football is better with them in good shape than it was with them as a laughingstock under Ted Tollner and Larry Smith.

I don't think college football will be good again until Fordham and Army are national powers again.

Unfortunately he's just saying what a lot of people think, and it's hard to argue. I mean, OSU-Michigan is one of the biggest rivlaries in sports, if Michigan sucks, it kinda breaks that down a little. Notre Dame, as much as a lot of us dislike them, are a staple of college football and when they are in the mix, they draw attention to the sport. To say "it won't be good again" is quite a bit much though, and I think is disrespectful to the teams who are actually good right now.

This is possibly the strangest logic ever....

Unfortunately he's just saying what a lot of people think, and it's hard to argue. I mean, OSU-Michigan is one of the biggest rivlaries in sports, if Michigan sucks, it kinda breaks that down a little. Notre Dame, as much as a lot of us dislike them, are a staple of college football and when they are in the mix, they draw attention to the sport. To say "it won't be good again" is quite a bit much though, and I think is disrespectful to the teams who are actually good right now.

Nothing got as much press as Northwestern's improbable first run to the BT title. College football's rating are just fine when the "Traditional Powers" are in decline. This idea makes zero sense. Where does this irrational sense of entitlement come from? People who support either Ole Miss or Miss State still go crazy for the Egg Bowl, and neither team has truly mattered since 1960. Rivalries are about the teams playing, not only about what the bigger picture means. The games that are most remembered are when a team is having a down year but rises up and beats their rival. This "it's only good when" (fill in the blank) is good is drivel.

Part of it is also the fact that Michigan and Notre Dame have HUGE fanbases, I mean ginormous. It's an influential group of people. It was like in the NBA, when people said it was good again because Boston and LA were in the Finals. It's ridiculous IMO, but that's the media for you and it's the "big market" mentality.

Griese, Badgerman, and Monty are right. College football needs Notre Dame and Michigan to have good, competitive football teams on a regular basis. Notre Dame is the NY Yankees of college football, and the Ohio State vs. Michigan football game is the best rivalry in college sports. The relative dominance of the Florida, Florida State, and Miami football teams over the last 25 years has detracted from the enjoyment of the game on a national basis. The only people who give a damn about Florida football are people who were actually born in Florida. The traditional college football powers like Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, Texas, and Oklahoma have always had a national fan base.

Griese, Badgerman, and Monty are right. College football needs Notre Dame and Michigan to have good, competitive football teams on a regular basis. Notre Dame is the NY Yankees of college football, and the Ohio State vs. Michigan football game is the best rivalry in college sports.

I don't disagree with you often Upnorth but nope, College Football doesn't need those two teams to be good anymore then baseball needs the Yankees to be good. Television needs them to be good!

That gets them more viewers and makes scheduling easier. It doesn't put anymore fannies in the seats however. Underdogs having big seasons does that.

'Ta hell with 'em"!:)

Nothing got as much press as Northwestern's improbable first run to the BT title. College football's rating are just fine when the "Traditional Powers" are in decline. This idea makes zero sense. Where does this irrational sense of entitlement come from? People who support either Ole Miss or Miss State still go crazy for the Egg Bowl, and neither team has truly mattered since 1960. Rivalries are about the teams playing, not only about what the bigger picture means. The games that are most remembered are when a team is having a down year but rises up and beats their rival. This "it's only good when" (fill in the blank) is good is drivel.
Without even looking I would bet you that the Northwestern Rose Bowl got low ratings, and that was probably only saved by the fact that they played USC.

Big teams get big ratings. Whether that is interesting or not is a seperate question.

College football does need to be more regionally balanced though.

He's a Purdue man.

I think college football is better when the traditional powers are good. I don't need them to win championships, just be competitive.

It's more fun when Michigan's good. When PSU was down for a few years, it hurt the conference as a whole. Same with OSU at the end of Cooper's time. I'd rather OU be good, as opposed to what they were under Schnellenberger and Blake.

I hate USC, but football is better with them in good shape than it was with them as a laughingstock under Ted Tollner and Larry Smith.

tollner was a very good coordinator, and very successful in the NFL. robinson left him with not much talent after the 81 marcus allen team, but he put together the rosebowl champion 85 team with del rio and bickett. tollner was no laughing stock.

larry smith started in 88 and took the trojans to 3 consecutive rosebowls. all his faults aside, i wonder if any big10 coach w/ three straight rosebowls would be categorized as a laughing stock.

paul hackett is another story entirely, but it helps to know the facts when trying to sound intelligent.

not the case...

Without even looking I would bet you that the Northwestern Rose Bowl got low ratings, and that was probably only saved by the fact that they played USC.

Big teams get big ratings. Whether that is interesting or not is a seperate question.

College football does need to be more regionally balanced though.

People watch what's on. NW-USC got almost the exact ratinings as all the other Rose Bowls, Until the NC Championship games, bowls had very constant ratings. Big in the regions with the teams playing, low in the other regions, especially when their region was playing in another game at the same time. By the above logic, anytime Va Tech, or West Virginia played in a bowl, their ratings were terrible. Not the case. It's the big Media Outlets who believe this. In studies and surveys most Americans say, when they don't have a connection to either team, they root for the underdog. This is another case where perception and reality are not within shouting distance of each other.

Screw ND and Michigan. I hate them both. Yep college football will be greater when traditional power Minnesota is on top.:)

Top Bottom