Blind Impressions

No one said that, you are assuming that we will struggle in the conference season. Stop making up arguments. Being ranked in November is definitely better than not being ranked in November.

Not making up an argument. Said who cares if they are ranked in November and was called out for it. If anyone is making up an agrument it was the poster who took offense to it.

Not making up an argument. Said who cares if they are ranked in November and was called out for it. If anyone is making up an agrument it was the poster who was mad about my take about the ranking.

You absolutely made up an argument. You took what he said, that being ranked at any point in the season is good for the program and that your claim that being ranked at the end of the season is better than at the beginning is obvious, and somehow turned that into him saying that being ranked in November and then finishing poorly in B1G play is good for the program. You can put words in people's mouths all you want to try and prove your point but most are smart enough to see through that.

Not making up an argument. Said who cares if they are ranked in November and was called out for it. If anyone is making up an agrument it was the poster who took offense to it.

Potential recruits care. Ticket buyers care. Players care. College basketball revolves around your team being ranked. If you are in the top 25, your team gets national recognition which helps nearly all aspects of the program. It especially matters in a state like this where the average fan says, "Why should we go see the Gophers play tonight? They suck." It's hard to say that when they're ranked, even if it is only November.

Once again, everyone here realizes that it is more important to be ranked at the end of the season. What you said, essentially, is that it does not matter at all if you are ranked in November. Which is a flat out lie, and you should be called out on it.

Why not hope for your favorite team to be ranked? It's not like we have to choose between being ranked now or being ranked at the end of the year. It's not an either/or. I'd rather be ranked Monday and move steadily up and be ranked even higher at the end of the season. What's wrong with that?

Potential recruits care. Ticket buyers care. Players care. College basketball revolves around your team being ranked. If you are in the top 25, your team gets national recognition which helps nearly all aspects of the program. It especially matters in a state like this where the average fan says, "Why should we go see the Gophers play tonight? They suck." It's hard to say that when they're ranked, even if it is only November.

Once again, everyone here realizes that it is more important to be ranked at the end of the season. What you said, essentially, is that it does not matter at all if you are ranked in November. Which is a flat out lie, and you should be called out on it.

You know what matters to potential recruits and ticket buyers? Being relevant in conference play, a deep run in March that doesn't take place in the NIT. Being ranked in November in no way compares to either in importance.

How you consider an opinion that it doesn't matter if a team is ranked early in the season as a flat out lie is beyond me.

Why not hope for your favorite team to be ranked? It's not like we have to choose between being ranked now or being ranked at the end of the year. It's not an either/or. I'd rather be ranked Monday and move steadily up and be ranked even higher at the end of the season. What's wrong with that?

+1000

Yes just look at all the benefits of being ranked in November this program has reaped over the last couple of years.

You know what matters to potential recruits and ticket buyers? Being relevant in conference play, a deep run in March that doesn't take place in the NIT. Being ranked in November in no way compares to either in importance.

We have been ranked exactly once in the Tubby era. I don't know why you keep saying it like it's happened several times. We have been ranked once and quickly lost it because our team fell apart due to major injuries.

You are not understanding. I'm not comparing them. All that is being said is that it is beneficial to be ranked at any point in the year. You consistently
twist my words into something they aren't.

Do I have to put a Team of Referees together for the PC, that appears to be in pre-pee mode?

Do I have to put a Team of Referees together for the PC, that appears to be in pre-pee mode?

You need to read threads that interest you. Stay out of the ones that don't. Simple concept Donald.

Hopefully that will not be necessary Don. I have said all that I can on the matter and am personally done with it.

I'm just trying to help someone understand a simple concept. I consider it as myself being a Good Samaritan.

You need to read threads that interest you. Stay out of the ones that don't. Simple concept Donald.

Now that, Gold, doesn't make sense. How do I know if a thread interests me or not if I don't read the god damned thing. The thread is interesting, until some inane personal penny ante arguments come up that do not pertain to the Thread Title.

Correct, but it is still helpful to be ranked in November. If a recruit turns the TV on and the Gophers are playing, they're going to respect us and take us more seriously if there is a number next to our name. Period.

I'm just trying to help someone understand a simple concept. I consider it as myself being a Good Samaritan.

I got some great advice a few years ago that seems pertinent: you can't use reason to pull someone out of a mindset that they didn't use reason to put themselves in.

There are many other unranked teams other than the Gophers that have performed well lately - many of which are teams that haven't lost any games, so it's not just the teams that are in the rankings you have to contend with. Colorado is unranked in the ESPN/USA Today poll and most certainly will get ranked. Illinois is unranked in both polls and is going to get in. Wichita State should be in after they have continued to win, including a road win at VCU and neutral wins over DePaul and Iowa. New Mexico should be ranked after remaining unbeaten and winning the Paradise Jam (with a victory over a ranked UConn team). I think that Baylor, Memphis and UConn are the only teams that should drop out, but UNLV might drop out as well.

You could make a similar argument for Georgetown being ranked as the one that is being made for the Gophers here - only one loss to a top-5 team, and a top-25 win in the last week. But of course no one here seems to think Georgetown should get in ahead of the Gophers - imagine that :D

Being ranked in November and December then finishing 6-12 in conference is good for the program. Got it.

Being ranked at any point in the year brings the program national media attention and allows our highlights and games to be played at the national level.

We have been ranked exactly once in the Tubby era. I don't know why you keep saying it like it's happened several times. We have been ranked once and quickly lost it because our team fell apart due to major injuries.

You are not understanding. I'm not comparing them. All that is being said is that it is beneficial to be ranked at any point in the year. You consistently
twist my words into something they aren't.

It doesn't really change anything, but we have been ranked on multiple occasions since Tubby's arrival. We were in the top 25 in the coaches poll for 7 weeks (and in the AP poll for 6 of them) in the 2008-09 season after beating Louisville and starting out 4-1 in the Big Ten. Among those Big Ten wins was one of my favorite Gopher games where we beat Wisconsin at Kohl Center in overtime. We were ranked to begin the 2009-10 season, and fell out after spending three weeks in the top 25. Then of course in 2010-11 we were ranked after winning the Puerto Rico Tip-off, then lost Mo Walker, Devoe Joseph, Al Nolen, and our ranking shortly after.

There are many other unranked teams other than the Gophers that have performed well lately - many of which are teams that haven't lost any games, so it's not just the teams that are in the rankings you have to contend with. Colorado is unranked in the ESPN/USA Today poll and most certainly will get ranked. Illinois is unranked in both polls and is going to get in. Wichita State should be in after they have continued to win, including a road win at VCU and neutral wins over DePaul and Iowa. New Mexico should be ranked after remaining unbeaten and winning the Paradise Jam (with a victory over a ranked UConn team). I think that Baylor, Memphis and UConn are the only teams that should drop out, but UNLV might drop out as well.

You could make a similar argument for Georgetown being ranked as the one that is being made for the Gophers here - only one loss to a top-5 team, and a top-25 win in the last week. But of course no one here seems to think Georgetown should get in ahead of the Gophers - imagine that :D

I don't think it's that we think those other teams don't deserve to be ranked, just that we are only concerning ourselves with our own solid performance and not bothering to think that there might be other teams below us that have done more to deserve a ranking than the Gophers have and could jump ahead of us. We were also the first team out of the AP poll, making us the highest ranked unranked team in the country, and our 2-1 record this week could be what it takes to get us in, so long as we don't get jumped by a bunch of other teams that were below us going into this week. It seems that a few teams will fall out and a few teams may jump us, which will leave us right about where we are, but we only have to move up one spot to get in.

We will be ranked 23rd in the AP poll tomorrow. Consider it fact.

There is a difference between thinking a team WILL be ranked and thinking a team DESERVES to be ranked. You keep ignoring the fact that the Gophers were essesntially ranked 26th before the weekend. Are you aware of how rankings work? If the Gophers start out ranked higher than Georgetown or any other team and accomplish the same things that those teams do, they will remain ranked higher. I haven't watched Georgetown play this year. Maybe they're better than Minnesota and maybe they deserve to be ranked higher, but given the fact that the Gophers started out with more votes and that they have roughly the same resume as Georgetown, the Gophers will probably get in before they will. Are they actually more deserving than Georgetown? Maybe, but that is a different discussion. Why is this such a struggle for you?

It doesn't really change anything, but we have been ranked on multiple occasions since Tubby's arrival. We were in the top 25 in the coaches poll for 7 weeks (and in the AP poll for 6 of them) in the 2008-09 season after beating Louisville and starting out 4-1 in the Big Ten. Among those Big Ten wins was one of my favorite Gopher games where we beat Wisconsin at Kohl Center in overtime. We were ranked to begin the 2009-10 season, and fell out after spending three weeks in the top 25. Then of course in 2010-11 we were ranked after winning the Puerto Rico Tip-off, then lost Mo Walker, Devoe Joseph, Al Nolen, and our ranking shortly after.

Yeah, I was about to list off all the weeks we were ranked after I saw that comment lol. We've been ranked plenty. Our highest in '08-'09 was 18th, the week of the excellent win at Kohl Center. In '09-'10, we made it up to 16th at the 76 Classic before dropping those two games after the Butler win. In '10-'11, we made it up as high as 13th I believe, prior to the Wisconsin game we dropped late. The last game we played as a ranked team was @Iowa in 2011, the one win we had down that brutal last month or so of the '10-'11 season.

Point is, we've been ranked plenty in non-conference play. It doesn't mean a thing. Recruits aren't gonna be heavily swayed cause we had a ranking while playing South Dakota State. They will be swayed if we go to play @ #1 Indiana, or at the Barn against #4 Michigan as a top 15 team and go toe to toe with them and maybe even pull out the win. I couldn't care less if we're ranked right now.

Ranking is for bums like me, and trust me, I am rank.

Has anyone said that? No one has made that point.

Whether it's a big deal or very minor deal, being ranked is still better than not being ranked from a national perspective. It's really not a hard concept to understand.

I got some great advice a few years ago that seems pertinent: you can't use reason to pull someone out of a mindset that they didn't use reason to put themselves in.

don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

There is a difference between thinking a team WILL be ranked and thinking a team DESERVES to be ranked. You keep ignoring the fact that the Gophers were essesntially ranked 26th before the weekend. Are you aware of how rankings work? If the Gophers start out ranked higher than Georgetown or any other team and accomplish the same things that those teams do, they will remain ranked higher. I haven't watched Georgetown play this year. Maybe they're better than Minnesota and maybe they deserve to be ranked higher, but given the fact that the Gophers started out with more votes and that they have roughly the same resume as Georgetown, the Gophers will probably get in before they will. Are they actually more deserving than Georgetown? Maybe, but that is a different discussion. Why is this such a struggle for you?

I keep saying the way the polls work is if you lose you don't move up, you move down or stay at basically the same spot, but you and others aren't seeing it that way and seem to believe the Gophers will move up in spite of their loss because other teams have lost. That is not the way the polls work. There are some occasions where teams who aren't ranked can win games that make a statement and help them earn a ranking even though they weren't particularly close to being ranked (i.e., Illinois this week). Teams like Illinois, Wichita State, and New Mexico have been more impressive than the Gophers by getting quality wins without losing this week. The Gophers probably will not move into the rankings this week because they lost, but there's always a next week and another game you can impress the voters with.

I keep saying the way the polls work is if you lose you don't move up, you move down or stay at basically the same spot, but you and others aren't seeing it that way and seem to believe the Gophers will move up in spite of their loss because other teams have lost. That is not the way the polls work. There are some occasions where teams who aren't ranked can win games that make a statement and help them earn a ranking even though they weren't particularly close to being ranked (i.e., Illinois this week). Teams like Illinois, Wichita State, and New Mexico have been more impressive than the Gophers by getting quality wins without losing this week. The Gophers probably will not move into the rankings this week because they lost, but there's always a next week and another game you can impress the voters with.

To be clear, I am not saying the Gophers will be ranked, but the Gophers were ranked 26th, lost to Duke, then beat #19 Memphis and a good Stanford team that had votes for top 25. It's not like they only played one game and lost it. Losing to Duke moved them down some. Beating Memphis moved them back up some. Beating Stanford moved that back up some more. Enough to be ahead of where they were before losing to Duke? Maybe not, but we will see tomorrow.

Has anyone said that? No one has made that point.

Whether it's a big deal or very minor deal, being ranked is still better than not being ranked from a national perspective. It's really not a hard concept to understand.

So what if team is ranked or not ranked in November. Being ranked in November gets you nothing in March as Tubby's teams have proven multiple times. Which is what I said to begin with.

It's really not a hard concept to understand.

So what if you are not ranked in November. It gets you nothing in March as Tubby's teams have proven multiple times. It's really not a hard concept to understand.

I would rather be ranked than not ranked. Is that a hard concept to understand?

Top Bottom