Bishop in the transfer portal

Got his studies done and is shopping around. Interesting.

Yep, this one hurts.

Unless there is something more going on, he must think he can land at a premier program. He is in a really good situation here playing opposite a really good CB and backed by a really good S. He also gets to play some crap offenses (making him look better).

Weird timing. Weird choice.

Yep, this one hurts.

Unless there is something more going on, he must think he can land at a premier program. He is in a really good situation here playing opposite a really good CB and backed by a really good S. He also gets to play some crap offenses (making him look better).

Weird timing. Weird choice.
That's why I have to wonder if there's more to it. If it's simply about getting to a better program, why not put yourself out there earlier? Unless he was just monitoring and there's a shortage of quality CBs in the portal this year? Certainly possible I guess.

Timing is indeed weird, if he was thinking about it a few months back, why not enter then? If not, what changed before Spring practice that led to this?

He is striking while the iron is still hot. If not for a better NIL, he can up his draft stock by going elsewhere to a premier program. That is my two cents' worth. It is a bummer for the Gophers. Why was it so late to announce his decision?

[Wild speculation]

Either he does not get along well with the new CB coach and/or that guy came in, looked at film, and told Beanie something he didn't want to hear like "your job is open this spring and you'll have to earn the starting spot"

??

A dynamic recruiter who has recruited and developed NFL talent, Nick Monroe returns to his home state after seven seasons at Syracuse. He joined the Orange staff in 2016 and served as Syracuse's secondary coach for two seasons before narrowing his focus to the team's safeties and nickelbacks in 2018 and safeties and rovers in 2020, before taking on his role last season of defensive passing game coordinator..

A native of Mahtomedi, Minn., and a graduate of St Cloud State, Monroe is known for his elite recruiting ability, bringing in and developing of Andre Cisco (Jacksonville Jaguars), Trill Williams (Miami Dolphins) and Ifeatu Melifonwu (Detroit Lions), the three defensive backs in the Orange's 2021 NFL Draft Class that all went on to ink rookie contracts with the aforementioned teams.

Over the past five seasons, Monroe co-directed a Syracuse pass defense that thrived on creating turnovers. The Orange intercepted 58 passes in 60 games (0.97 per game) since the start of 2018, including a streak of 17 straight games with a pick from Aug. 31, 2018 to Sept. 21, 2019. The streak tied for the third-longest in major college football since 2004.

Monroe, whose father Marty was a GA for the Gophers under Jim Wacker in 1994-95, was elevated to defensive passing game coordinator in the winter prior to the 2022 season, yielding one of the best passing defenses in recent memory for the Orange. Syracuse finished 14th in the nation and second in the ACC, surrendering just 184.8 yards per game through the air in 2022. As a whole, the defense finished 21st nationally in total defense, allowing 328.6 yards per game. After defensive coordinator Tony White left to pursue another coaching opportunity, Monroe took over play calling duties for the Orange in the 2022 Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl against Minnesota.

It will all become clear when one and all find out where he lands.

He is striking while the iron is still hot. If not for a better NIL, he can up his draft stock by going elsewhere to a premier program. That is my two cents' worth. It is a bummer for the Gophers. Why was it so late to announce his decision?
It's not like Minnesota doesn't have a solid record of putting dbs in the NFL! If he can't improve his draft stock here, I'm not sure another program will help him much!

It's not like Minnesota doesn't have a solid record of putting dbs in the NFL! If he can't improve his draft stock here, I'm not sure another program will help him much!
Yeah I'm a bit skeptical about this idea too.

Granted if you need more playing time (I have no idea if that was the concern) then ... of course you need playing time. But if you're getting playing time I don't see moving automatically making you more draft-able. Potentially the opposite.

We can always use the depth, but Beanie struggled quite a bit last season. Maybe Stapp has beaten him out?

He also came in as a lauded kick returner, and then never returned a kick or a punt last year.
Yeah, even without him we still have 14 DBs on the roster to fill 4/5 spots. Sorry to see him go but might not be a huge loss in the grand scheme of things.

He was one of our smallest corners, but had wheels and football smarts. Sorry to see him go. Maybe the new coach wants bigger CBs.

Last edited:

Just read that Beanie Bishop has entered the portal. Good luck to him. Somebody might be threatening to pass him up, I suppose. Jack Henderson? Maybe he had other reasons. He saw the field a lot last year.

CB is really a big need now. Weird timing.

Agree on weird timing. Not sure CB is a really big need now. Someone will need to step up into the role Beanie had, but there are plenty of candidates already on the roster.

Top Bottom