Bilas: College basketballs officiating problem is getting worse; The competition is great and perhaps has never been better. But the officiating sucks

The issue is simple. Stop changing the game and rules every year. This is a problem in multiple sports and levels. Constantly "Trying to make the game better." and moving the target for officials. Replay is an issue, shot clocks and and resetting time is an issue. I don't need you to add .5 seconds to the clock in the 1st half. You can arm bar, you can't arm bar. You can touch, you can't touch. You're in the restricted area. You can go on the release, you can't go on the release. We want it to be more like college, we want it to be more like professional ball etc.

Officials used to be able to learn the rules and officiate for years without needing to constantly learn new mechanics and rules. Signal the number of the foul with one hand, signal with 2 hands. Rotate this way, rotate that way.

The best officials are at the pro level and why we keep asking lower level officials to officiate at that complexity is beyond me. Why do we need so many new rules/tweaks every year? Social media and 24 hours sports news cycle has only made it worse.

Yeah, there are good officials and bad officials. But the level of abuse they take today is off the charts. Officiating has always been a thankless job.

Make too many calls - people complain
Don't make enough calls - people complain
Make a mistake - people complain
Miss a call - people complain
After every game you can guarantee the losing teams fans will complain about the refs

Do a great job - nobody says a word.

And the issues are only going to get worse because we are destroying the future official pool with the way we are treating them at the youth sports level. Fewer and fewer people are going to want to get involved in a profession where know it all fans, sitting in front of massive high def screens, watching super slow mo replays from multiple angles call you worthless and say you are terrible at your job.

And at the youth level - a small game check isn't worth getting yelled at by parents or met in the parking lot after the game.
Add in that it's socially acceptable to have shots and tailgate in RV's before youth games. It's terrible all around at the youth level.

The biggest complaint I have is where the out official calls a foul on something happening inside, yet there is an official standing three feet away who doesn’t blow his whistle. Does the out official have better eye sight?

can’t stand Jay Bilas. So much of a homer. the mute button is handy when he is talking.
Officials have a primary focus, but there are times the outside official has a better view and can bail out the primary official. Also note that mechanically, if a player drives from outside that official officiates all the way to the basket and the inside guy is there to bail them out if needed. Mechanics change crew to crew based on their comfort level and the officials discuss their areas prior to each game.

College officials are terrible at calling Big inside play.

The issue is simple. Stop changing the game and rules every year. This is a problem in multiple sports and levels. Constantly "Trying to make the game better." and moving the target for officials. Replay is an issue, shot clocks and and resetting time is an issue. I don't need you to add .5 seconds to the clock in the 1st half. You can arm bar, you can't arm bar. You can touch, you can't touch. You're in the restricted area. You can go on the release, you can't go on the release. We want it to be more like college, we want it to be more like professional ball etc.

Officials used to be able to learn the rules and officiate for years without needing to constantly learn new mechanics and rules. Signal the number of the foul with one hand, signal with 2 hands. Rotate this way, rotate that way.

The best officials are at the pro level and why we keep asking lower level officials to officiate at that complexity is beyond me. Why do we need so many new rules/tweaks every year? Social media and 24 hours sports news cycle has only made it worse.
Great point

The non-call that bugs me the most is when a physical big man (like Cockburn) is allowed to bull his way to the basket by knocking back his defender several times until he is in layup territory. Why is that repeated physical contact not called a foul? How are you supposed to defend that?

I'm not a fan of the physical play where the one person with the ball takes running starts bamming into the defender, while the defender tries to slide under the offensive player while still planting feet in a nick of time.

If you called that a lot sooner when the initial body contact is being made, you wouldn't have that going on. It's probably why Big Ten teams lose in the NCAA. That's a foul then, where in Big Ten play they think it's okay.

Edit: after I posted this I read what Southpaw posted which is essentially the same thing.
The offensive player should not be able to initiate that contact.

Officials have a primary focus, but there are times the outside official has a better view and can bail out the primary official. Also note that mechanically, if a player drives from outside that official officiates all the way to the basket and the inside guy is there to bail them out if needed. Mechanics change crew to crew based on their comfort level and the officials discuss their areas prior to each game.

College officials are terrible at calling Big inside play.
I’m thinking 5 officials on the floor would be better able to accurately assess game play. Plus they would have the manpower to challenge either team’s bench players to a post-game scrimmage. 🏀

Top Bottom