Big Ten to modify officiating on onside kicks.

You can’t have every play reviewable, but in that case there was a play stoppage and replays everywhere. The powers that be could have fixed it in 15 seconds. Then again they still screwed Virginia Tech against Miami so…..there’s that.
For all the cameras and tech they have, why would they not have a “goal line” camera angle EXACTLY at the scrimmage line of the kick when they know it’s an onside? I suppose because the offside call is not reviewable. In that case is there one official exactly on the 35 whose only duty is to watch for offsides? I don’t recall from the replay.

Either way that call was way too close to have even been flagged if it was like a hand or the front of a helmet, shouldn’t have been called.

Offsides is a live ball foul where the play continues. It should be reviewable. Especially in the last two minutes.
I would only be in favor of kickoff offsides being reviewable in that case. The slippery slope may slow the game down wayyy too much, especially in the last 2 minutes when there are a lot of stoppages anyway. As imaging and AI tech get better the replay will be able to see more and more things that the refs can’t because they’re human. So there will be more hemming and hawing delays as the booth has multiple synchronized Ultra HD angles to review. They need to have a 60 second clock for replay. If they can’t tell in 60 seconds then by definition it’s not “indisputable evidence” to overturn a call.

You are not fixing anything if you don’t make ALL plays reviewable..
How about calling penalties already part of the rulebook. Clutching, grabbing, holding ect...occurs multiple times on every play. Then the referees call the penalty when they decide it's a worthy situation. The gophers are guilty as all teams are. CFB needs to raise their expectations of the referees calling the games. It can be done.

A number of years ago Major League Baseball raised their expectations for accuracy of calling balls-and-strikes and the umpires accuracy improved significantly. The top pitchers and hitters no-longer get the balls/strike calls they expected to go their way years ago. The game is better in the end.

The official was wrong at a key moment in the game. Does he care that he screwed up? That he may have cost the Gophers a win? Did he lose his assignment for the rest of the season? No,no and no. Sad

The fact that it wasn't reviewed is BS. My granddaughter had a play reviewed in D3 soccer match. If they can do that you would think that an OS kick at the end of the game where the outcome is still in doubt would be reviewed!
It is not reviewable, per the rules.

I would only be in favor of kickoff offsides being reviewable in that case. The slippery slope may slow the game down wayyy too much, especially in the last 2 minutes when there are a lot of stoppages anyway. As imaging and AI tech get better the replay will be able to see more and more things that the refs can’t because they’re human. So there will be more hemming and hawing delays as the booth has multiple synchronized Ultra HD angles to review. They need to have a 60 second clock for replay. If they can’t tell in 60 seconds then by definition it’s not “indisputable evidence” to overturn a call.
I would add that breaking the plane needs to go away. They have to be touching the line or beyond to be offsides

you cant have every play reviewable, the game would never end. Maybe the last 2 minutes of the half. Even though the gophers lost their opportunity to try and tie or win the game, at some point you have to accept the human element of the game. Not sure why players and coaches can make mistakes all game long, but no one can tolerate it when the refs make an error.
I think it’s reasonable to say all onside-kicks are reviewable by either team to get the call correct… so many things go so quickly in these plays in a matter of seconds and inches. The rule change doesn’t say anything about making things reviewable, just that changing positions of line judges. #notenough #dobetter

I think it’s reasonable to say all onside-kicks are reviewable by either team to get the call correct… so many things go so quickly in these plays in a matter of seconds and inches. The rule change doesn’t say anything about making things reviewable, just that changing positions of line judges. #notenough #dobetter

Putting more officials to monitor offsides will be short lived. Determining who recovers the ball, is it a legal recovery beyond 10 yards, did anybody illegally block or manhandle potential receivers to prevent them from recovery? Stuff 10 yards ahead of the ball is far harder to administer to determine if it's a legal recovery and is way tougher to officiate than offsides. Dumb reaction to a dumb rule.
Just make it the feet. An arm or a head over the line is not a major advantage.

Top Bottom