Big Ten Schedule released tomorrow

Honestly anything less than 5-3 (6-3) would be a disappointment. If gophers are 5-3 they’re probably playing the third or 4th place team in the east for the 9th game...I’d project a Michigan rematch or Indiana

8-0 is possible. That’s my analysis.

5-3 at the worst to me.

Hard to win in Madison.
And if they’re 5-3 I would think we should expect a victory against Indiana or a Michigan rematch (that we likely lost and I think it’s hard for Michigan to beat us twice)

Would like to think that only the three trophy games would be lower than a 60-65% probability of winning.

The game I'm most concerned about is Ohio State on December 19. Of course the Big Ten will make us play them and Michigan the same year, in a pandemic!
Wisconsin has @Michigan and home vs Indiana.
Iowa has @Penn St and home vs Mich State

Arguably, I would say we have it a smidge easier.

lelZueP.png

The clear short straw is Nebraska who has both Ohio St and Penn St and will face 5 teams who won at least 10 games last year.

Ohio State seems to have it easiest. Not only do they not have to face themselves, but get Nebraska and Illinois from the West. They should be 20+ favorites in 5-6 of their games.

Purdue also has a soft draw with Indiana and Rutgers. Watch for them.

How glorious would it be for Nebraska to start 0-4 going into their (likely homecoming) game vs Illinois?

All things considered I really like the look of this schedule. With no fans in the stands it is tough to say how big of a plus/minus home field advantage will be this year but still like starting at home even if it is with a tough opponent. Michigan will be breaking in a new QB and with a limited off season there is a good chance their offense won't be as in sync as it might be right off the bat. On the flip side we bring back almost the entire offense (especially if Bateman gets eligible) so should be able to hit the ground running quicker.

Should be interesting. Hopefully we get to pay all the games as it is laid out without Covid rearing its ugly head and getting in the way.

Honestly anything less than 5-3 (6-3) would be a disappointment. If gophers are 5-3 they’re probably playing the third or 4th place team in the east for the 9th game...I’d project a Michigan rematch or Indiana

8-0 is possible. That’s my analysis.

With the absolute craziness of this year and the unknown with how this plays out, I don't think it would be fair to any team that loses more than expected. If the Gophers go 0-9 this year, I don't think it's fair to bad mouth Fleck, the players or anyone associated with the program. I don't expect them to go 0-9 but I think every team gets a pass for this tear, as long as there is effort. And I'm not calling you out for saying disappointed as what you said is a fair term. We would be disappointed. But being pissed or mad if they go 5-4 or 0-9 is not fair, in my opinion.

With the absolute craziness of this year and the unknown with how this plays out, I don't think it would be fair to any team that loses more than expected. If the Gophers go 0-9 this year, I don't think it's fair to bad mouth Fleck, the players or anyone associated with the program. I don't expect them to go 0-9 but I think every team gets a pass for this tear, as long as there is effort. And I'm not calling you out for saying disappointed as what you said is a fair term. We would be disappointed. But being pissed or mad if they go 5-4 or 0-9 is not fair, in my opinion.

0% chance the Gophers go 0-9

Any "disappointments" have to be tempered by the overall health/availability of the team due to covid. And we may never know that exactly, but Coyle will.

Yeah well I’m not saying that I would think anybody should lose their job. But if the team only wins 2 games and you aren’t a little mad...you might not have a soul

I realize there will be no fans in the stands, but my buddy (who's a Michigan guy) and I are thinking of coming up for the opener on the 24th, even if we stand outside the open west plaza, or tailgate, or sit in a bar (if they'll be open). So here's my question to fellow GHers: do you think there will be atmosphere to a level that would warrant flying up for the game, or should we stay at home and watch on TV? I'm torn on this one.
I’m in the same boat coming from Pittsburgh. Love to have all the gopher fans pack Dinkytown and Stubs and Sally’s....but what’s their capacity?

I’m in the same boat coming from Pittsburgh. Love to have all the gopher fans pack Dinkytown and Stubs and Sally’s....but what’s their capacity?
Dinkytown is still really busy during the weekends and that's without gopher football. I don't know about Stubs capacity limit but Sally's just lets people in. You need to stay at your table so you can't stand and move around but it's still full

Getting michigan to start the year probably gives us our best odds at beating them considering there QB situation.
Unless said quarterback sucks and the whole team falls apart by mid season when the team starts to realize it.
We won’t know the best time to play a team until we have the benefit of hindsight

Anyone who says Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Ohio state have the easiest schedules are fooling themselves.
The easiest schedules in the conference are clearly Northwestern’s and Purdue’s.

top 6 teams in the conference to me are clearly (in no order) Ohio state, penn state, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa

here is how many of the top 6 each team plays

I think Iowa is clearly 6 of those 6. So substracting Iowa the top 5 opponents number is (in)

**indicates plays Ohio state and plays penn state

*indicates only plays one of Ohio state and penn state

I have them listed in my personal opinion of toughest to easiest schedules:

Nebraska - 5 (4) **
Michigan - 4 (4) **
Indiana - 4 (4) **
Maryland - 4 (4) **
Michigan state - 4 (3) **
Illinois - 4 (3) *
Iowa - 3 (3) *
Rutgers - 3 (3) **
Penn state 3 (2)*
Minnesota - 3 (2)
Wisconsin - 3 (2)
Ohio state - 2 (2)*
Purdue - 3 (2)
Northwestern - 3 (2)

I would argue only Nebraska’s schedule is noticeably harder than the avg conference schedule. Michigan and Indiana schedules are noticeably harder when you compare them to their division competition (Ohio state)

Ohio state, purdue, and Northwestern all have schedules noticeably easier than the conference average.

The other 8 teams are all pretty similar in difficulty IMO

Last edited:

I realize there will be no fans in the stands, but my buddy (who's a Michigan guy) and I are thinking of coming up for the opener on the 24th, even if we stand outside the open west plaza, or tailgate, or sit in a bar (if they'll be open). So here's my question to fellow GHers: do you think there will be atmosphere to a level that would warrant flying up for the game, or should we stay at home and watch on TV? I'm torn on this one.

Allowing embarkation/debarkation of leisure/spuriously necessary business flights and extended close quarter interaction: ok.
Social distancing outdoors: too risky.

Top Bottom