Big Ten Football Schedule Released (Gophers open with Michigan State)

I don't see this as super favorable ... PJ's gopher teams haven't start super hot ... and that's where the meat of the schedule is.
PJ Fleck has never lost a game before September 21 in his tenure at Minnesota?

I hate wisconsin's schedule. Was their schedule always so easy or did their cross-over games change?
It was always like that.

When the East division is bad outside of the top 3 every team in the west will have favorable schedules in years they only play 1 of those 3

The Gophers could win all their games this year. In my life time, I've never been able to honestly say that about a Gopher team. Will they? Actually, I doubt they will be playing any games at all.

written with the assumption that "who the hell knows" in mind...

A) will there be bowl games-has this been announced?

and if so

B) what would the win threshold be? 5 wins?

My thoughts are "IF" the season gets completed, there will be bowl games. The TV revenue is too much to pass up. They would obviously be toned down significantly, with regards to fans/peripheral events but still possible.
I would guess that .500 or better will be the standard and then they will fill in with teams one game under like they usually do.

redbox bowl already canceled. I’m sure it won’t be the only one to cancel.

people who want only a few major bowls to play might finally get their wish

The Gophers could win all their games this year. In my life time, I've never been able to honestly say that about a Gopher team. Will they? Actually, I doubt they will be playing any games at all.
Anywhere from 4-6 to 10-0 is possible.
I’ll guess 7-3
Would like it better if we had Bateman and had the hardest game broken up a bit more

I don't know.

If all you look at are Ws and Ls then there ya go.

I watch for a bit more than that...
What do you watch for?

I suppose you didn’t like the way Minnesota beat Penn state because they gave up a bunch of passing yards and it was close.

I suppose you thought auburn was a bad game because kick coverage was bad

maybe you’re right they don’t start “super hot” but if you think they start slow you’re flat wrong.

What do you watch for?

I suppose you didn’t like the way Minnesota beat Penn state because they gave up a bunch of passing yards and it was close.

I suppose you thought auburn was a bad game because kick coverage was bad

maybe you’re right they don’t start “super hot” but if you think they start slow you’re flat wrong.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

If I'm talking about the start of the season ... what would the Penn State game have to do with that?

Id rather play mich-iowa-wisconsin early instead of late in the year. We will be healthy and ready to go instead of worn down by the season. Also despite loss of Bateman we still have Morgan and Ibrahim
The trap game on this schedule is Indiana - high powered offense and coming off a bye week

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

If I'm talking about the start of the season ... what would the Penn State game have to do with that?
You said you watch the games you don’t just look at wins and losses.
if you don’t know what I’m saying I’m done with you

Crap. This came out one day too late. I wonder if Bateman would have chosen to stay if things were looking more optimistic for a season.

Honestly don't think the release of the schedule would have had any impact on Bateman's decision.

As for the schedule itself, very front loaded but if we can get out of September at no worse then 2-2 the opportunity is there to run off a really nice streak to end the season as the remaining 6 should all be very winnable. Starting with MSU is good too because they have a new coach and have had a messed up off season so they should still be very much in transition mode, which we all know takes time.

Losing Bateman sucks but potential is there for another really strong season if we are the team we think we are.

I don't think their is much of an argument for Mich St being one of the toughest.
I would have thought the same, but when the other options are Indiana, Purdue, @Illinois, Northwestern, and @Maryland, I don’t think it’s ridiculous to say @Michigan State is tougher than all of those. Might be wrong though, Indiana was pretty good last year, I don’t think Purdue is a complete pushover, and sometimes Northwestern is a threat, but all 3 of those are at TCF.

Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin are the clear 3 toughest games, and I think the 7 others will probably have the Gophers favored by at least 3-7 points, unless losing Bateman is a death blow to our offense or something.

Honestly don't think the release of the schedule would have had any impact on Bateman's decision.

As for the schedule itself, very front loaded but if we can get out of September at no worse then 2-2 the opportunity is there to run off a really nice streak to end the season as the remaining 6 should all be very winnable. Starting with MSU is good too because they have a new coach and have had a messed up off season so they should still be very much in transition mode, which we all know takes time.

Losing Bateman sucks but potential is there for another really strong season if we are the team we think we are.

Yeah I suspect everyone opting out has been working on that decision for a LONG time.

They weren't worried about altered scheduling.

I would have thought the same, but when the other options are Indiana, Purdue, @Illinois, Northwestern, and @Maryland, I don’t think it’s ridiculous to say @Michigan State is tougher than all of those. Might be wrong though, Indiana was pretty good last year, I don’t think Purdue is a complete pushover, and sometimes Northwestern is a threat, but all 3 of those are at TCF.

Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin are the clear 3 toughest games, and I think the 7 others will probably have the Gophers favored by at least 3-7 points, unless losing Bateman is a death blow to our offense or something.
I think Michigan state is the second worst team in the schedule ahead of only Maryland.

probably in the mix with Illinois. Illinois did win in East Lansing last year.
Indiana and northwestern lost to Michigan state last year but I think they’ll both be better and Michigan state will be worse

you could really put them anywhere between 5th toughest and 9th toughest game in the schedule and make a good argument

Id rather play mich-iowa-wisconsin early instead of late in the year. We will be healthy and ready to go instead of worn down by the season. Also despite loss of Bateman we still have Morgan and Ibrahim
The trap game on this schedule is Indiana - high powered offense and coming off a bye week
I would love to play Iowa week 1 at home with their new quarterback and Michigan state week 2 so you can see the film of their new regime a bit.

to become a good program we might have win in spite of playing good teams. We beat penn state and auburn last year which was the difference between top 10 and fringe top 25.

I don’t think we will go 10-0 but hopefully we continue the trend of beating the teams we should beat or who are pretty equal (I think 7 of them are on the schedule) and win 1 or 2 against teams better than us (I think there are 3 on the schedule).

I predict 7-3 but will be really happy with 8-2 or 9-1

If we had Bateman I would predict 9-1 to be honest. Without Bateman I don’t think we are better than Michigan and Iowa anymore.

Crap. This came out one day too late. I wonder if Bateman would have chosen to stay if things were looking more optimistic for a season.
It's not like he couldn't change his mind. I doubt it had any impact.

written with the assumption that "who the hell knows" in mind...

A) will there be bowl games-has this been announced?

and if so

B) what would the win threshold be? 5 wins?

My thoughts are "IF" the season gets completed, there will be bowl games. The TV revenue is too much to pass up. They would obviously be toned down significantly, with regards to fans/peripheral events but still possible.
I doubt it. Bowl games are about bringing in thousands of fans to spend $. There may be some type of post-season, but I doubt it will include the traditional Bowl Games or at least not most of them.

I doubt it. Bowl games are about bringing in thousands of fans to spend $. There may be some type of post-season, but I doubt it will include the traditional Bowl Games or at least not most of them.

This is generally true, but bowl games have mostly become programming for ESPN. Many of the new bowl games are literally owned by ESPN so they have something to put on the air. Many of those don't bring in a lot of fans, they just fill air time and fulfill TV sponsor needs. So, in that sense, there could still be a huge need for bowl games, even without fans, as counter intuitive as that sounds.

It's not like he couldn't change his mind. I doubt it had any impact.

He could ... if he was still in school and so forth.

I don't know what he's up to but it's possible he withdraws from school / chooses to focus on training / head home and etc.

This is generally true, but bowl games have mostly become programming for ESPN. Many of the new bowl games are literally owned by ESPN so they have something to put on the air. Many of those don't bring in a lot of fans, they just fill air time and fulfill TV sponsor needs. So, in that sense, there could still be a huge need for bowl games, even without fans, as counter intuitive as that sounds.
Right. I could see some sort of "SEC/B1G challenge" for ESPN. But I doubt it will be played at traditional Bowl Game sites. Probably all teams going to a "bubble" city with multiple stadiums like LA or something.

He could ... if he was still in school and so forth.

I don't know what he's up to but it's possible he withdraws from school / chooses to focus on training / head home and etc.
Right. I just doubt he did anything in the last 24 hours that isn't reversible.

Agreed. Bowl games could generate big TV ratings and that alone is still valuable.

I would love to play Iowa week 1 at home with their new quarterback and Michigan state week 2 so you can see the film of their new regime a bit.

to become a good program we might have win in spite of playing good teams. We beat penn state and auburn last year which was the difference between top 10 and fringe top 25.

I don’t think we will go 10-0 but hopefully we continue the trend of beating the teams we should beat or who are pretty equal (I think 7 of them are on the schedule) and win 1 or 2 against teams better than us (I think there are 3 on the schedule).

I predict 7-3 but will be really happy with 8-2 or 9-1

If we had Bateman I would predict 9-1 to be honest. Without Bateman I don’t think we are better than Michigan and Iowa anymore.

I think most of your post is pretty on-point, but I'm not sure a single WR (albeit an outstanding one) changes those matchups that much. We still have a Top 20 offense - one of the top QBs, a great RB and a fully returning OL, as well as some promising TEs. Plus, we have a lot of young talent between redshirt and true frosh at WR. Honestly, WR is one of the positions where you see freshmen stars in college football every year, so it's not outlandish to think that a player we haven't seen in a game yet can be a major contributor this season.

Also, don't forget, Iowa and Michigan are both going to breaking in new QBs this year.

Great schedule and opportunity to make a stand.

I don't get it, if all they're doing is adding 1 game against a team in the other division to replace the 3 non conference games, why didn't they keep the old schedule and just add the extra game to the start of the season? Why did they move a ton of other games around and swap the Maryland and Nebraska games?

It could have been a lot worse but I don't get why they changed so much.

I don't get it, if all they're doing is adding 1 game against a team in the other division to replace the 3 non conference games, why didn't they keep the old schedule and just add the extra game to the start of the season? Why did they move a ton of other games around and swap the Maryland and Nebraska games?

It could have been a lot worse but I don't get why they changed so much.
Combination of TV and schedule flexibility I'm guessing. If they proceed, there will almost certainly be games postponed/re-scheduled as we've seen in MLB.

Top Bottom