Big Ten could expand beyond additions of USC, UCLA, says commissioner Kevin Warren, if it adds 'additional value' to conference

Couldn’t Big Ten teams make just as much money by agreeing to schedule other power 5 teams in the non-conference than just keep adding teams to the conference? Like they were going to do with the PAC12 before the poaching started or the ACC challenge in bball. At some point you think the extra money isn’t worth the 0% chance of winning the title if you are in the bottom half standings constantly (and they also do away with divisions). Have to imagine there will be some pushback.

I get the non-power 5 and FCS loses money in that scenario but that’s their problem.
It's also a LOT harder to schedule more P5 non-conference games year in and year out. Most P5 schools want a home and home, both teams need space open in their schedule that lines up, etc.

What happens if the big10 stops expanding? Why does more and more “value” need to be added? I wonder if at some point we go back to the late 80s where like a quarter of the teams were independent.

Notre Dame isn't worth $75 million by itself in football.
ESPN pays $80M just for the Rose Bowl (Game). That I believe gets around 16M viewers.

So, depending what the total cumulative TV audience would be for the 7 ND home games (including USC every other year), I could maybe see it.

What happens if the big10 stops expanding? Why does more and more “value” need to be added? I wonder if at some point we go back to the late 80s where like a quarter of the teams were independent.
Because it is difficult to keep pace with the rapid increase of financial obligations of revenue-generating athletics programs.

Virginia, North Carolina, and GT would indeed be a nice "spear" right into the heart of SEC country.
Pair it with Notre Dame, or if they won't come, then Pitt. That gives 4 in the East, then take Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal in the west.

4 divisions of 6 teams:
USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington
Neb, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisc, NW, ILL
IU, PU, Ohio St, Michigan, Mich St, Notre Dame/Pitt
Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, GT

Play everyone in your division (5 games), 1 locked in yearly, rotate the other divisions with the remaining 3, for 9 conf games.
My guess in this set up they would switch ILL and Notre Dame. Having Ohio St, Michigan and ND in the same division probably wouldn't go over very well. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Penn St would have a fairly easy division.

per ESPN:

"I get asked every single day, what's next?" Warren said Tuesday to open Big Ten football media days. "It may include future expansion, but it will be done for the right reasons, at the right time, with our student-athletes' academic and athletic empowerment at the center of any and all decisions that we will make.

"We will not expand just to expand. It will be strategic, it will add additional value to our conference."

Warren repeatedly referenced taking a bold and innovative approach toward the many major topics in college athletics, including further realignment. He said the league "will not languish in bureaucracy."

"It is important for all of us in business to recognize that we're in a time of change," Warren said. "I think there's two types of people in the world: They look at change as it's a problem, or they look at change as an opportunity. And I'm one of those individuals that when change occurs, I get excited about it. And then it really is an opportunity for us to do a lot of things that people have thought about, but maybe have been a little bit reticent to do.

"So I'm embracing change."

Go Gophers!
No, Mr Warren, there are two types of people. Those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't!

My guess in this set up they would switch ILL and Notre Dame. Having Ohio St, Michigan and ND in the same division probably wouldn't go over very well. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Penn St would have a fairly easy division.
I'm sure it would work out different than I have, just took a crack at it.

There wouldn't be a "winning" the division, thing. Just the "top 2" (however you determine that) in the championship game. Really more for scheduling than anything.

Only problem with your suggestion (not a bad one), is that there is only one locked in game. So does ILL choose NW or Purdue? Both are very important rivalries for their fans and alumni.

Etc.

Just protect the top rivalries/trophy games that matter, and then you can do it however you like.

Michigan and Ohio State have to play. Would think they'd like Michigan and Notre Dame to play every year, as well.

Notre Dame has to use its locked in game to play USC.

Lot of ins, lot of outs.

No way for UNC!!!!! They sold out their academics so the athletic department wouldn't get penalized for bogus classes. The administration showed their priorities and they should lose their academic accreditation.

Miami and FSU would be a slap in the face to the academic reputation of the B1G.
A slap in the face? That’s a bit pretentious.

They may not be AAU (I honestly don’t know) or research powerhouses like most B1G schools, but they’re both US News top 60 universities—and ranked above Minnesota. Not like they’re Troy and Fresno State. Miami has long been a good academic school and FSU is much more competitive academically than it used to be with all of Florida’s growth.

A slap in the face? That’s a bit pretentious.

They may not be AAU (I honestly don’t know) or research powerhouses like most B1G schools, but they’re both US News top 60 universities—and ranked above Minnesota. Not like they’re Troy and Fresno State. Miami has long been a good academic school and FSU is much more competitive academically than it used to be with all of Florida’s growth.
US News LOL! Garbage in, garbage out.

Back to your point, it is a good school. It is also AAU and would be a good Big Ten addition.

UNC and Duke are both research powerhouses, top 10 in federal research overall in the country. (click on table 25 here https://ncses.nsf.gov/pubs/nsf22311 )

Both are AAU of course.

They absolutely are Big Ten schools, purely from that perspective.

US News LOL! Garbage in, garbage out.

Back to your point, it is a good school. It is also AAU and would be a good Big Ten addition.
US News is indeed garbage but the reality is that a lot of people use it as a reputation metric, hence my point about those schools not being a slap in the face from an academic reputation standpoint. FSU is very similar to Nebraska athletically and (until very recent years) academically. With geography no longer a factor, may as well consider those schools too.

Love to see Iowa State, Cincinnati, ND, and Pitt to come in. Geographically makes sense and intra-state rivalry will be intensified. Having Cincinnati and ND will be real good for the conference.

Love to see Iowa State, Cincinnati, ND, and Pitt to come in. Geographically makes sense and intra-state rivalry will be intensified. Having Cincinnati and ND will be real good for the conference.

Other than ND, no chance they let schools at that academic level in. Also, those schools add nothing to the TV market reach.

Other than ND, no chance they let schools at that academic level in. Also, those schools add nothing to the TV market reach.
More like, if it is 120 million per school someone has to add more than 120 million in additional revenue to break even

More like, if it is 120 million per school someone has to add more than 120 million in additional revenue to break even
Correct. It's harder and harder to break even or grow with each additional school you let in, and you really need to add two at a time to preserve an even number of teams.

Notre Dame and a big ACC school would probably grow the pie. It gets difficult after that.

Correct. It's harder and harder to break even or grow with each additional school you let in, and you really need to add two at a time to preserve an even number of teams.

Notre Dame and a big ACC school would probably grow the pie. It gets difficult after that.
I honestly thought the big ten was done at 14
This was predicted over 100 million per school before USC and UCLA additions.
If it ends up around 100 million per school…that’s a break even. So I anticipate it being much more

Last edited:

As a Gopher fan in Northern California, I'd love to see Cal, Stanford, and Oregon added. Throw in Notre Dame to keep some of their rivalries with the west coast schools and I think we'd be in for some awesome Big 10 (20) football.

Oregon now is looking to join because of the new lucrative B1G media deal!

This article mentions other potential schools:

U of Washington
Standford
Cal U
ND
MIAMI 😱
FSU 😱

Wow, this is getting wild. At this point I feel like the SEC and Big Ten will just take the rest of the ACC, PAC and Big 12, and be a college football equivalent of the AFC and NFC, then just organize clusters of teams into divisions.

Like a Great Plains division for Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State and Nebraska. A Great Lakes division with Michigan, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Ohio State. It seems farfetched, but honestly, after what's happened this year, I can see it getting to that point.

I do wonder what it will mean for the Group of 5. I could legitimately see it shifting to its own subdivision like the FCS.

What I wonder about is the future of basketball in relation. With two conferences getting so large, do the auto bids change? Does a Big 20 get its tourney champion and runner-up in March Madness if the PAC barely exists anymore? For that matter, what does it mean for smaller sports? Swimming, softball and the like having to regularly go across the country.

Oregon now is looking to join because of the new lucrative B1G media deal!

This article mentions other potential schools:

U of Washington
Standford
Cal U
ND
MIAMI 😱
FSU 😱

The way to get notre dame is to be “national”

The way to make expansion more profitable is by getting notre dame

As a Gopher fan in Northern California, I'd love to see Cal, Stanford, and Oregon added. Throw in Notre Dame to keep some of their rivalries with the west coast schools and I think we'd be in for some awesome Big 10 (20) football.
I'm in Oregon and would approve of this...would be awesome to occasionally catch a Gophers game out here.

I'm in Oregon and would approve of this...would be awesome to occasionally catch a Gophers game out here.
What does Oregon give to the B1G?

I would rather have the 2 Bay Area Pac-whatever # teams, UDub, and Notre Dame. Oregon has Phil Knight & what? UDub has more alumni, a bigger market, and a cooler stadium on the sound.

What does Oregon give to the B1G?

I would rather have the 2 Bay Area Pac-whatever # teams, UDub, and Notre Dame. Oregon has Phil Knight & what? UDub has more alumni, a bigger market, and a cooler stadium on the sound.
I get the argument that doesn’t add enough value

I don’t get that people say Oregon doesn’t add value so add Cal and Stanford
There are arguments to add Stanford, but it doesn’t include the value the football program brings.

I get the argument that doesn’t add enough value

I don’t get that people say Oregon doesn’t add value so add Cal and Stanford
There are arguments to add Stanford, but it doesn’t include the value the football program brings.
Bay Area is the #6 sized market (including San Jose), that's where the value is for Cal & Stanford. Portland is 21, and Oregon isn't that big of a national brand.

Bay Area is the #6 sized market (including San Jose), that's where the value is for Cal & Stanford. Portland is 21, and Oregon isn't that big of a national brand.
Agree to disagree

That’s like saying that we should’ve added Pitt instead of Nebraska because Pittsburg is bigger than Lincoln.

Hear me out: if Bowling Green is allowed to join, last year's loss doesn't seem so bad.

16784526.jpg

I'd be fine with this. With four teams needed in order to get to 20.....any Gophers fans that aren't pulling for ND and three more Pac-12 teams aren't thinking this through. Other than Nebraska....Minnesota is the FURTHEST west team in the Big Ten outside of the new additions. If we don't want to be tossed into a division with USC and UCLA....we need more west coast teams. And if they take ND, an ACC team, and only two more Pac-12 teams.....it's probably Nebraska that gets stiffed. And while I don't care as much about that....I'd prefer a division with the Gophers, Badgers, Hawkeyes, and Nebraska all included.

Top Bottom